Thunderstorms and labor - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 07-28-2006, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are expecting some strong thunderstorms tonight. I am wondering if the change in pressure will perhaps convince my baby to make an appearance. Anyone know anything about whether I'm making any sense or just having wishful thinking? I can't help but think how breathtaking it would be to be in labor and give birth during a nighttime thunderstorm.

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
#2 of 16 Old 07-28-2006, 08:09 PM

That would be so neat! Although it rains alot in Seattle, we seldom get storms. When I was in labor with DD it was actually storming a bit outside and I just thought how amazing that was.

I hope it works out for you! I'll guess we'll see tomorrow, huh?
#3 of 16 Old 07-28-2006, 08:34 PM

That would be nice.....we are supposed to have severe thunderstorms here too....and I've been feeling "ready" all day....plus it would just be right with my luck lately, my shower is in the morning!
#4 of 16 Old 07-28-2006, 08:35 PM

That's funny. My midwife and I were talking about how babies seem to come around full moons a lot or if it is really humid and hto and then it thunderstorms, and her hypothesis about the t storms were the change in air pressue.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#5 of 16 Old 07-28-2006, 11:30 PM

I haven't heard this but with thunderstorms happening more days than not around here, that could mean labor any time or day.
Of course, I think I have a little more time to go. At least a week, although we will see- every day is different!
#6 of 16 Old 07-29-2006, 08:16 AM

We had some great thunderstorms, rain, wind last night. I thought it would be neat to have a baby then too.
I remember telling my midwife with #1 that I thought it would be rainy when the baby was born. Well, no sign of rain until after 3 1/2 hours of pushing he finally came out and then, RAIN! for about an hour, then it stopped. I loved laying around with a new baby while it rained.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#7 of 16 Old 07-29-2006, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Bah, the silly storms were nothing! Here at least. veganf, what time did your storms come? We talked to the inlaws in the Worcester area and they said it wasn't very strong there either. I was so disappointed, I had taken the dog for a walk before it started raining, and it was so neat with the wind and the lightning.

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
#8 of 16 Old 07-29-2006, 10:04 AM

Right at bathtime, as usual! So we skipped baths last night and played hide & seek instead. It was about 6:45-7:45pm. I checked the doppler radar online around 6pm and could see it coming, but the worst was mostly north of I-90, so it might have been just north of Worcester. But by 8pm it had mostly cleared out again. It was enough to make our kitchen ceiling leak, but that's not saying much!

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#9 of 16 Old 07-29-2006, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa
That's funny. My midwife and I were talking about how babies seem to come around full moons a lot or if it is really humid and hto and then it thunderstorms, and her hypothesis about the t storms were the change in air pressue.
Yep, I trained as a midwife in a hospital in Australia & we certainly saw anecdotal evidence of both of those.
#10 of 16 Old 07-29-2006, 10:26 AM

My last child was born on a full moon. I looked it up, and the full moon in August is the 9th.
#11 of 16 Old 07-29-2006, 10:31 AM

Yep. I am thinking my baby might come that day. I am due on the 8th and my first came the day after my due date.

The following weekend, there is a meteor shower, which would be cool too.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#12 of 16 Old 07-29-2006, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

August 9th is my due date. I was hoping to go before then, since according to my calculations I was actually due this past Wednesday. I guess only time will tell.

#13 of 16 Old 07-29-2006, 02:52 PM

I was hoping the pressure would drop last night when it rained, but I don't think it did. It rains so rarely here (San Diego) -- it was blissful falling asleep to a mild rain. This morning, it's misting. This NEVER happens here, and it's lovely. :-) Looks like the heat wave may lessen, which is great b/c I NEED to clean the house. I don't know if I'm "nesting" or not, but the house MUST be clean by tonight!

The baby's due on the 10th, so a baby on the full moon sounds great! That is, unless I'm lucky enough to have her/him be born before then. At least the moon is waxing. It always seems to be a better time for me when the moon is building up its light.
#14 of 16 Old 07-30-2006, 08:47 PM

that's so funny, we've been having a terrible drought but it's finally broken with tons and tons of thunderstorms, intense humidity (tomorrow's heat index predicted to reach 115!!)
My mom's family raised buffalo and she told me that they always had their babies in thunderstorms like this. I would like to have my birth pool outside, but I'd take whatever I get!
#15 of 16 Old 07-31-2006, 05:38 PM

Well we had storms yesterday and no baby. It will be interesting to see how many babies are born on the full moon.
#16 of 16 Old 07-31-2006, 05:58 PM

My husband would love it if the baby was born on the full moon, since it's also his birthday.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page