Nursing Pads? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 07-29-2006, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone give me a recommendation on nursing pads? I want to order a few (cloth of some sort) but I don't know anything about it. How many should I have on hand after baby is born (since I don't know if I will be a leaker or not), what kind of material is good and where can I get them at?
Thanks mamas!
#2 of 19 Old 07-29-2006, 12:21 AM

I dont have any experience with them, but I got a free cloth pair from Bravado by registering on their site.

Amy
#3 of 19 Old 07-29-2006, 12:41 AM

Unfortunately, there is no way to know if you'll be a "leaker" or not! I'd probably recommend having at least 3 to 5 pairs though - then if you are "leaker" you can always get more if you want.
#4 of 19 Old 07-29-2006, 01:01 AM

I leak at the start even though I don't further into nursing. I'd say I use nursing pads for at least a month or maybe two before my supply kind of stabilizes to normal-for-us and I stop spouting when I get let-down or it's been a while.

So far I don't leak when another baby (or even mine) cries, but my bbs are so much bigger this time, maybe I will. I definitely made more milk last time even (a few reasons b/c I didn't have an epidural or a traumatic birth).

As for where to order them... I don't have any good suggestions since I only have a few from Motherhood and I don't like them very much. I'm hoping to make some of my own but haven't had a chance (with moving and all that).
~Julie

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#5 of 19 Old 07-29-2006, 01:41 AM

Just wanted to suggest an alternative to using the pads at night. I could never get my cloth pads to stay in place at night (too much tossing and turning on my part I guess ). We finally stumbled upon a solution that was awesome. I would sleep in a stretchy tanktop and take one of those Gerber birdseye flatfold gauze diapers and fold it into thirds lengthwise. They are really long, so I could tuck them into the bust of the tank top and I was covered nearly armpit to armpit. They did not budge one bit overnight, and no matter HOW much I leaked at night, all the milk was absorbed.

Regular CPF's were too short and bulky. The gauze ones were the only ones that worked for this trick. A little weird, I know--but it kept me from soaking our bed. HTH.

VBAC mamma of two little Vikings
#6 of 19 Old 07-29-2006, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

I will try to get some gauze prefolds...I have a crazy amount of organic cotton prefolds but those won't soak up, huh?
#7 of 19 Old 07-29-2006, 10:15 AM

I had enough milk for the city with dd and leaked MASSIVELY for the first month or so. Seriously, I was afraid I would never be able to leave the house due to soaking wet shirts. At home I wandered around with hand towels and CPF in my bras. I tried the cotton ones from Medela (from Target) but they were not absorbent enough for me - a bit bulky too. I ended up with the extra absorbent disposable ones from Medela - they would hold me for 1-2 hours. Once I stabilized out, I got some lovely cashmere ones, and some silk cashmere blends from Luxe baby that did a great job, weren't too bulky, and felt wonderful.

http://hyenacart.com/prod_details.php?id=12525&vid=71
#8 of 19 Old 07-29-2006, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajenkatt
We finally stumbled upon a solution that was awesome. I would sleep in a stretchy tanktop and take one of those Gerber birdseye flatfold gauze diapers and fold it into thirds lengthwise. They are really long, so I could tuck them into the bust of the tank top and I was covered nearly armpit to armpit. They did not budge one bit overnight, and no matter HOW much I leaked at night, all the milk was absorbed.

Regular CPF's were too short and bulky. The gauze ones were the only ones that worked for this trick. A little weird, I know--but it kept me from soaking our bed. HTH.
I've never heard of this- sounds like a great idea! Thanks for sharing! Summer, I think your organic preforls would be plenty absorbant, but if I'm picturing right what hajenkatt's saying, they wouldn't be long enough to wrap from one armpit to the other (at least my PFs wouldn't).

I've heard people rave about certain types of wool breast pads on the diapering board- you might want to ask there.

Also, someone mentioned to me (I think a CD mama) that she found disposable pads more comfortable during the first week when her nipples were super sensitive (I think the cloth ones stuck to her nips when they dried a little?) so I've bought a small box of Avent pads just in case.

I have a bunch of hand-me-down flannel pads that I'll try & then once I know if I'm much of a leaker, I'll invest in some nice wool ones.
#9 of 19 Old 07-29-2006, 12:31 PM

I got a bunch with the nursing bras (bravado) that I bought on ebay. I leaked in the beginning with my daughter so I'm thinking it will happen again.
#10 of 19 Old 07-29-2006, 01:20 PM

Okay - I sucked it up last night and stayed up late to make myself some... I bought the pattern off Fern and Faerie for like $.50 and made about 10 pairs. I'm about an A when not nursing or pg and about a C when nursing or pg - so I made some 4.5" wide (like the pattern has) and some about 6" wide like I saw some (wool ones) suggested for bust size A - D on Lana's website. The point is not only increased absorbancy but it shows less in your bra.

Layers I made:
Against my skin I cut up my gorgeous bamboo velour (it's so soft!) so that it won't feel bad against my nipples) and then the inside was either 2 layers of sherpa or one layer of heavy duty organic cotton fleece - then the other side was flesh colored velour to keep them from sliding around in my bra (since it's kind of 'grabby').

The wool ones that I did are simply two layers of felted wool jersey and that's it. I will lanolize them when we move to our other house - this will make it so they are absorbant for the liquid but don't let it leak out... and then I can just air dry them between using them and they will be antibacterial. I'll probably need to wash them every week or so, but that isn't so bad.

Just in case you can make any - or know anyone who can, I thought I'd share what I did.
~Julie

#11 of 19 Old 07-29-2006, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! Birthfree, you are super crafty! I am NOT creative and I can't sew for beans but that sounds awesome!
#12 of 19 Old 07-29-2006, 07:27 PM

I wasn't a leaker, so I've no real experience. Could you use cut up t-shirt's? I would think that if they're good for toilet tissue alternative, they'd be good as a leak guard, too.
#13 of 19 Old 07-29-2006, 07:48 PM

i would really like to get some cloth pads. i kinda want to make my own since they sound a lot easier than diapers!!! i really don't want to buy anything tho. i have microfleece, some flannel and sherpa do you think that would work????

birth momma do you have a link for that pattern or want to share?

i am not a heavy leaker after my supply is established. just enough to need pads but not soak them unless i wear them through several feedings.

TIA!!!
#14 of 19 Old 07-29-2006, 08:08 PM

Danielle, if you can make diapers then sewing these is a piece of cake! Heck if you can sew in a CIRCLE you can make them! Fern and Faerie suggest using ANYthing pretty much to do the pads... so you're not limited to using fancy stuff like I did... I just had scraps laying around waiting to become those so that's what I used.

Microfleece on the inside and then either flannel, sherpa or a combo. of both on the inside/outside would be great I think! I'll link the pattern I got... let me go find it:

http://hyenacart.com/FernandFaerie/index.php?c=14&p=45
For $.50 you can't go wrong right?

~Julie

#15 of 19 Old 07-30-2006, 03:54 AM

: Lurking in from the Sept DDC. I just wanted to add that cloth is great ( I CD, do cloth nursing pads etc), but personally, I've found that for the first few weeks when my nips are getting used to nursing and are sore, I really *love* disposable pads (Lansinoh pads ROCK, they are the only sposie kind I'll use, and I tried alot of different ones with DD).
Cloth, no matter how soft they are, just stuck to my nipples...and I tell you what, peeling those suckers off when you have sore nips is no fun!

Anyway, just my $.02 there, ymmv but I wanted to let you know what my experience was

(ETA: After the soreness went away I switched to cloth no problem...just had issues for the first little while.
And I can't remember what the nice sets of nursing pads I have are...a friend gave them to me.)
#16 of 19 Old 07-30-2006, 10:12 AM

I tried all sorts of cloth pads with my first but honestly hated how apparent they are under clothes. I was way too self conscious going out in public or having visitors over with these prominant circle shapes sticking out of my bra. I ended up using Lansinoh disposeables when I'd be seeing other people, because they were nice and thin. I'd use cloth when home alone without company
#17 of 19 Old 07-30-2006, 03:39 PM

I've used the cloth ones from Motherhood. I really liked them. They are very thin and contoured, so they fit nice and are not noticeable under clothes. Now, I've never been a really heavy leaker, so I don't know how well it would work in that situation, but I never had a problem. The lace ones (not the plain cloth!) from Medela look the same, and I can't imagine they work any worse anyway.

And as for leaking, just an FYI, when you feel letdown (assuming you're not one of those that doesn't feel letdown), if you put pressure on you breast, over the nipple, it should seriously cut down, even stop, the leaking. If I wouldn't do it, I'd leak all over the place, but if I applied pressure (usually just with my arm - it was pretty descreet) I wouldn't leak at all.

Just something to try.
#18 of 19 Old 08-01-2006, 12:36 AM

how funny, I did exactly what hajenkatt did at night! I didn't want to wear a bra to bed to hold the pads in so I improvised! Those Gerber guys really do work great.

and I have to ditto the Lansinoh disposables for anyone going that route. They're soft, comfy, don't show under clothes and super absorbant. I never did try cloth because I was changing them so often I'd have needed a lot of pairs.

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
#19 of 19 Old 08-01-2006, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMidwife
Summer, I think your organic preforls would be plenty absorbant, but if I'm picturing right what hajenkatt's saying, they wouldn't be long enough to wrap from one armpit to the other (at least my PFs wouldn't).
That is exactly it. The gauze one were the only ones long enough to reach around the whole front of my boobs. And bc they are flat-fold, they were much smoother. For me (being a stomach sleeper) I think the pre-folds would have been too lumpy bc of the stitching on them.

I think the pp's had great ideas about sewing their own. For me, though, any circular pads shifted at night and ended up not covering my nipples. So for daytime use, I used my cloth pads, but at night went the folded diaper route. Plus, it was SO NICE to finally get out of my nursing bra at night. I was SO tired of wearing it 24/7.

VBAC mamma of two little Vikings

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page