Indulging yourself - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 07-29-2006, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are you doing to indulge yourself during the last days/weeks of pregnancy?

- I'm impulse buying. I usually stick strickly to a shopping list. I'm buying vegan ice cream cookie sandwiches and premade deli foods just because I'm craving them.
- I'm making sure I get a foot rub every night possible.
- I'm ignoring ALL phone calls.

I wish there was more, but with two kids, a husband, and a too small bathtub, that's all I can manage.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#2 of 20 Old 07-29-2006, 04:33 PM

I am spending almost $20 a week on pure fruit popsicles that I refuse to share with my kids.

And I have put a moratorium (started about a month ago) on having anyone else's chil;dren in my house. This is the most indulgent and WISEST thing I have ever done. It means far less cleaning, fewer conflicts with the kids, and more food for us. Usually, my house is the one everyone comes to because of my hostessing tendencies and our fun toys and open spaces. BUt lemme tell ya, I was getting real tired of serving up meals for friends who never reciprocate and it was messing up my happy groove. And don't get me started on the ways I was feeling towards all these kids (whom I generally adore) as they overturned baskets of blocks and games and who then refused to pick up.

Ahhhhhh, I could get used to this hermit lifestyle.
#3 of 20 Old 07-29-2006, 05:21 PM

I've been buying little extras to bring to the hospital and for postpastum, like a travel kit from Burt's Bees and a set from Earth Mama Angel Baby. I realized I hadn't bought anything for myself in a long time.

~Robyn mama to
James, Sean, Christopher, and Michael~

#4 of 20 Old 07-29-2006, 05:32 PM

: Not that I am spoiled but I hired a housecleaner for a once over before the homebirth. It happened today and my house is flippen SPOTLESS! It would be IDEAL if the baby came in the next 3-5 days.
Either way though, my cats have been shaved to eliminate cat hair (MAJOR issue here) and dander and I am going to spot clean every day till baby is born and then feel content that I am birthing in a lovely clean environment.
My other indulgement is also eating fruit pops! YUM! This humidity CAN be broken...and I refuse to turn the AC down. Ok, ok. Maybe I am a LITTLE spoiled!
#5 of 20 Old 07-29-2006, 05:33 PM

I've been eating some sweets/candy that I never do. And I'm buying a kilo of beautiful, expensive and just yummy yarn to knit up this next year... So far, that's it... but I'm hoping this next week I can do some more.
~Julie

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#6 of 20 Old 07-29-2006, 06:32 PM

I've been eating way too much ice cream. It's so hot that nothing else sounds good. I've had the air on and cranked down to 72 (it's just a window one) and I have a fan that is behind my chair to blow the air back at me. Dh rubs my back every night when we cuddle before going to sleep. Other than that I'm just chilling out and waiting for something to happen.
#7 of 20 Old 07-29-2006, 07:00 PM

Well, I sort of just said some of this on the overdoing it thread, but here goes... I have stopped! No more diabolical nesting, no more driving myself crazy. I nap. I watch FitTV. I read magazines. I am taking care of myself. Last night I told my husband that he had to make the pasta because I couldn't (I did the shopping and then I needed to sit for a while). I am pampering myself and I am peaceful. It feels good. My bedroom is so peaceful - I go up there and light my candle and play my new CD (another indulgence) and relax. I am going to suck everything I can out of these next few days (weeks?) of pregnancy. My friends had a Blessingway for me today, and I let them pamper me, and I didn't even feel guilty about it. I loved it. I feel so, I don't know, queen bee-ish right now. I like it.
#8 of 20 Old 07-29-2006, 07:07 PM

I've given myself permission to stop working out. I know that sounds silly but it's a big deal for me. I'm trying to not worry too much about how much I'm eating even though I am not working out. I have a bag of dove chocolates I can't stop munching on.
#9 of 20 Old 07-29-2006, 07:11 PM

Hmmm, I'm taking a bath every day these days, and spending an awful lot of time just lounging around. I am spending an outrageous amount on all sorts of organic fruit, as well as plenty of goodies to help with comfort during labor and after the birth. Hiring someone to clean the house sounds fabulous, I might try to talk DH into that one -- I have been hoping for a supreme nesting urge that will get me cleaning and organizing. So far, I have started to notice the dirt around the house a lot more, but no real ambition to clean it up
#10 of 20 Old 07-29-2006, 07:21 PM

Napping! My dd has decided to come snuggle with mommy every morning to take her morning nap, so I just cuddle on the couch and sleep! I've also been watching all my soaps that I could possibly want to, splurging on fabric that I would normally wait to get as remnants, or when it's on sale....not answering the phone, and only cleaning or cooking when I feel like it.......
#11 of 20 Old 07-29-2006, 09:21 PM

I'm not working!! This is the most wonderful, indulgent thing ever, even if it took crazy swelling and climbing BP to make it happen.

In my job, people are applauded for working right up until the day they go into labor (so and so did it, wow, so and so did it, too) Well, I was dying.. And a grumpy goose because of it.

I'm so much happier now that I'm at home.
#12 of 20 Old 07-29-2006, 09:24 PM

Hired a maid to come every other week

Got my toes done today (it's a presentation issue for me; I want the doctor and nurses to think two things while I'm birthing: that's the cleanest vagina I've ever seen and WOW look at her beautiful feet!)

Also letting a lot of calls go to the answering machine

Going to bed as early as I want

Sleeping wherever I can get the most sleep
#13 of 20 Old 07-29-2006, 10:41 PM

Napping everyday and letting dh take over bedtime with ds. Those are the major things.

I want to get an eyebrow wax and pedicure before too, we'll see if that happens

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#14 of 20 Old 07-29-2006, 11:00 PM

My recent indulgences:
~1 chocolate "Healthy Mom" Shake a day with breakfasts (like vitamin shakes for preggos)
~I ate a Rita's Itallian Ice today
~I had DF ice my ankles before going out to his "bachelor's night" tonight (it is so nice to have someone here to do that for me.. plus I made him assure me that no strippers would be involved in bachelor's night, even though I already know it goes against his morals as much as mine)
~I bought new makeup from Sephora before leaving New York (I usually don't wear makeup but I wanted some way to to feel "pretty" again)
~My biggest indulgence- I'm getting married!!:
#15 of 20 Old 07-30-2006, 12:47 AM

I'm definitely ignoring all phone calls. I refuse to race for the phone and if it's someone I don't want to talk to (telemarketer) that's what a) caller id is for and b) the answering machine. I JUST checked my cell voice mail today...I had ten!!!
#16 of 20 Old 07-30-2006, 04:52 PM

I've been buying (and eating some) cookies.
#17 of 20 Old 07-30-2006, 05:07 PM

napping and going to bed early and just reading

Also we have had a bit more take out this week as I really don't feel like cooking

you know I could really get used to this

tara
#18 of 20 Old 07-30-2006, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaChameleon
And I have put a moratorium (started about a month ago) on having anyone else's chil;dren in my house. This is the most indulgent and WISEST thing I have ever done. It means far less cleaning, fewer conflicts with the kids, and more food for us. Usually, my house is the one everyone comes to because of my hostessing tendencies and our fun toys and open spaces. BUt lemme tell ya, I was getting real tired of serving up meals for friends who never reciprocate and it was messing up my happy groove. And don't get me started on the ways I was feeling towards all these kids (whom I generally adore) as they overturned baskets of blocks and games and who then refused to pick up.
Holy cow... you must be a saint!!!
#19 of 20 Old 07-30-2006, 06:54 PM

I'm not taking on other people's psychodramas!!
Seriously... I had a friend (who was supposed to help with my DD while I was at the hospital) get really angry at me. It has to do with her own regrets in life. I decided, you know what, I'm not going to deal with this right before I give birth. Normally I would sit down and talk it out with her and subject myself to all her resentment. Not now!
I found someone else to help out here!!

Liz

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#20 of 20 Old 07-31-2006, 10:33 AM

I'm eating Chik-fil-A whenever I want it. Nothing sounds as good as nuggets, fries and lemonade for dinner. Every night. So I eat nothing but health food until then! :

And, well, let's see... lounging in bed, reading magazines, eating melon pops, leaving work early when I feel like it, and generally saying NO as often as I wish to people and things to which I would normally feel obligated. That feels pretty darned good.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page