Overdoing it??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 07-29-2006, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got to thinking after reading the thread about we are indulging ourselves (or at least should be) and realized I am NOT.

So how are YOU overdoing it?

I am throwing a way too big birthday party for dd tomorrow afternoon. She is turning 2 and if I wasn't having another babe sometime in the next month, I probably would have done something simple with a couple of family members. She isn't going to remember it anyway, right? But my guilty conscious that says her little world is getting ready to be rocked in a big way said "Make a big fuss!"

So around 30 adults and children will be descending on my house (that we have only been in a few months and still haven't finished painting, hanging pics etc) for a cookout with burgers and cake. Outside. In North Carolina. Where it is DAMNED hot. And humid.

I guess my indulgence is I am buying the cake, not making it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 07-29-2006, 05:13 PM

Well, I've deliberately overdone it a few times (thinking crazily it would induce labor : ), by going to the farm and not only picking up our weekly produce share in the tent, but also going out to the fields to do the pick-your-own items, which only ended up overheating me and giving me a sore back . Gotta let my husband go back and do that with the boys. It's just getting to be too much.

And I'm probably going to continue mowing the lawn. I finally got my husband to do it once, and I didn't like the way he did it (went too fast which left some parts uncut, and didn't go in straight lines and it looks all weird). Yeah, I know, I'm totally anal about it.

I overdid it yesterday with the sudden nesting instinct to scrub the kitchen windows, sink, stove and microwave. And I'm probably cooking more than I need to.

Honestly, just moving feels like overdoing it right now .

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#3 of 22 Old 07-29-2006, 05:26 PM

Yeah, sometimes moving feels like overdoing it right now, I agree

I am moving our house this weekend and next, I'm packing everything up, unpacking everything... cleaning, painting, placing in the rest of our kitchen flooring, you know - general moving... but nutso for a 36w pg woman (or at least *I* think so!). Ugh ugh ugh.

We are never, ever moving or building on when a baby is due - EVER again.
~Julie

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#4 of 22 Old 07-29-2006, 05:47 PM

I went to my rockstar BIL's show last night -- there were 15,000 people there , it was crazy. I danced, carried my 2 yo around on my shoulders, ate from the craft table and drank Diet Coke.

Trust me, I am suffering for it today I am so nauseous.
#5 of 22 Old 07-29-2006, 05:52 PM

i'm overdoing it.

last night i went to the crosby, stills, nash and young concert and danced for three hours. we got home at 1am. at 8 am this morning, i woke up, walked the dog, picked up our weekly veggies from our csa and went to yoga. then, i puked.

not smart. what am i thinking. my due date is tuesday.

: : :
#6 of 22 Old 07-29-2006, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
LOL, how great to see that so many mamas are overdoing it by going to concerts! I went to a concert last weekend (my "last hurrah") and the part that really put it over the edge is that it was incredibly super hot in the club-- no air conditioning.

Besides that, just trying to get all the last minute things done (set up the co-sleeper! buy the labor food and drink! rearrange my bedroom! throw a last minute baby party!) has put me over the edge just a little about every single day. Ugh!

At least it's getting us ready for being parents (again, or for the first time!) when EVERY day we'll be over doing it
#7 of 22 Old 07-29-2006, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamilkers
At least it's getting us ready for being parents (again, or for the first time!) when EVERY day we'll be over doing it
Oh this is so true! When your patience, body, deprivation of mind and soul and all other things are stretched to the max all day every day... oy vey, I'm not sure I'm ready for that.
~Julie

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#8 of 22 Old 07-29-2006, 06:54 PM

You know, I was totally doing too much until Thursday. (Cleaning carpets, painting walls, etc.) I had my home visit, and I decided I am done. My house is relatively clean. My bedroom (birthing space) is neat and clean and peaceful. I some food in the freezer, and anything else I don't need to worry about. I am so peaceful now. I've just decided that it is time to relax and enjoy the end of my last pregnancy. It feels so good - I've never felt like this before. I have enjoyed the last couple of days - I deserve to pamper myself, and I am going to do it! So ladies - maybe it's time to give yourselves a break!
#9 of 22 Old 07-29-2006, 07:44 PM

although i moved our house in may and unpacked us too i haven't done anything like that since. i guess i am not quite overdoing but i am certainly not indulging. i wish i could go to a spa at least once, i would like to have a half sorta nice wardrobe to wear after the initial baby stuff goes away but i just can't afford it. i would LOVE to go on a date with dh. we haven't gone out by ourselves since our anniverssary....in OCTOBER!!!

i clean the house, load/unload dishes, cook dinner 5-6 nights a week, do ALL the shopping......at like 6 different stores, i also carried an asleep ds in his carseat from my car to in a house yesterday.....5 houses from my car!!! i don't ask dh to get up with ds (at 7 a.m.) usually on the weekends, i carry ds alot instead of letting him walk. normal stuff that i know i should ask for help to do but just can't bring myself to do it.
#10 of 22 Old 07-29-2006, 09:14 PM

I'm done. Today was it, the crescendo after weeks and months of overdoing it. We had my son's 4th b-day party today at a play place. It's 100 degrees here and I really needed to plan the party as if it could go on without me just in case. I bought the cake (usually make my own cupcakes) and it was a simple affair, but wiped me out completely! This is coming off the heels of moving (2 months ago), dealing with some new home repair issues (plumbing and air conditioning), and trying to keep up with my son.

But, as I said, I am done. I feel a tremendous sense of relief. The calendar is clear for the next few weeks and I can just BE.
#11 of 22 Old 07-29-2006, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmom
I got to thinking after reading the thread about we are indulging ourselves (or at least should be) and realized I am NOT.

So how are YOU overdoing it?

I am throwing a way too big birthday party for dd tomorrow afternoon. She is turning 2 and if I wasn't having another babe sometime in the next month, I probably would have done something simple with a couple of family members. She isn't going to remember it anyway, right? But my guilty conscious that says her little world is getting ready to be rocked in a big way said "Make a big fuss!"

So around 30 adults and children will be descending on my house (that we have only been in a few months and still haven't finished painting, hanging pics etc) for a cookout with burgers and cake. Outside. In North Carolina. Where it is DAMNED hot. And humid.

I guess my indulgence is I am buying the cake, not making it!

I am doing the exact same thing for my son tomorrow,i'm glad I am not the only loopy one:
30 people here too,plus two ponies.It is a cowboy theme and I am busy making star shaped cupcakes that I am going to frost like sheriff badges.mind you it is 90 something here and the frosting will proabaly just slide right off!!!
I have been begging this babe to stay put jsut tonight,literally it can come as soon as the pony rides and cake are done...that way i'll get out of cleaning up

keep cool mamas

Natasha,Mum to many.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill
#12 of 22 Old 07-29-2006, 10:32 PM

Well, I definitely slowed down but I'm still in a nesting phase and have spent WAY too much time cleaning everything imaginable over the last few days. On top of that, dh and I have been busy building a wooden playset for ds, which just got finished today, I still need to hang all the new stuff for our 2nd bathroom (shelf, tp hanger, install new toilet seat, etc), and I'm cleaning the carpets tomorrow after church. Tuesday, I'll catch up on laundry and finish getting babe's room in order and carseat installed.

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#13 of 22 Old 07-30-2006, 12:52 AM

I don't go to sleep until at least 1 am, even though I know I'll be up every hour to pee AND for good at 7 with my daughter. I just can't force myself to bed before then.
#14 of 22 Old 07-30-2006, 10:03 AM

At the moment I'm not indulging myself (in fact, the opposite because I'm starting now to restrict my diet to leave out all refined sugars and flours in hopes that I won't have problems with thrush this time around while bf . . . I figured I should clear my body of the yeast food before baby comes this time), but I'm also not overdoing it because I'm having terrific lower back pain in my sacraliliac joints that makes it painful for me to walk around. So, basically I'm useless.

I do need to sweep and vaccuum this week, and do some last-minute picking up, cleaning toilets, sort of stuff because my parents are coming next weekend to wait it out with us and be here to take care of the boys when I go into labor. Then as soon as baby is born my in-laws will come, so I really want the place to be in good shape. Luckily it's already in relatively good shape (by my standards . . . which are admittedly low . . . I have never had nor never will have an immaculate house, it's just not in me even though I'd love it to be) so there's not much to do. Light picking up, and I'm sure I can actually get DH to do the vaccuuming and sweeping to save my back. I'm just trying to keep on top of the laundry so it doesn't pile up, as sometimes happens around here. So far, so good.

Last night I finally pulled together the clothes I will want to take to the hospital! Now I just gotta throw them in a bag, get clothes out for baby, and my other few necessities. So I should actually have my bag packed before I go into labor . . . wasn't sure that would happen!

Of course, baby still doesn't have a name . . . sigh. Working on that, but DH and I haven't found anything we both like . . . in fact, I'm not finding any names that I like, in general. It feels impossible this time around. Baby's due in under 2 weeks--yikes!

Jen, mom of R (9), T (7), C (5), and E (2) ... my stillheart.gifs

#15 of 22 Old 07-30-2006, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimunklemama
I am doing the exact same thing for my son tomorrow,i'm glad I am not the only loopy one:
30 people here too,plus two ponies.It is a cowboy theme and I am busy making star shaped cupcakes that I am going to frost like sheriff badges.mind you it is 90 something here and the frosting will proabaly just slide right off!!!
I have been begging this babe to stay put jsut tonight,literally it can come as soon as the pony rides and cake are done...that way i'll get out of cleaning up

keep cool mamas
We are going through this at our house too. Dd's b-day is the 13th. We've always done big theme parties. This year it just isn't going to happen. I've decided we are having everybody meet at a shady playground with a nice picnic area. We are going to have bubbles and balloons and just let the kids run and play. The play ground is 3 min from my in-laws so we can stash the cake and ice cream there and dh can go grab them. I just can't have 20 some people in my house for a big party with a newborn, I'm just not that good. Dd is having trouble dealing with a simpler party, she even sat down last night, planned a princess party and told me that all I really needed to do was to bake a cake, her and daddy could handle the rest. I wish, but in reality, it wouldn't work. I finally had to say playground party or no party that's your choice I felt so bad.

Other than that I need to get laundry done and a few dishes, a couple little messes. I'd like to stock up on some easy foods if I get the time. That's about it. Oh and talk dh into carrying a bunch of stuff downstairs. Then our house will be presentable for visitors. Last time I wouldn't let anyone come over because the house was such a mess.
#16 of 22 Old 07-30-2006, 04:44 PM

Last night we arranged nearly the entire apartment so that DH could keep our TV (to watch movies in) and we could fit in my new glider. I absolutely love it. I still have to still arrange the knick-knacks properly but other than that it's done.
#17 of 22 Old 07-30-2006, 05:36 PM

Holy cow... hats off to you crazy birthday party women, moving house, etc, etc!!! I had been planning on working up until I absolutely can't, running lots of errands, etc, etc... but then after crashing the car twice (minor!) & having worsening pelvic pain that doesn't go away w/ excercise, I'm slowing down, taking stock on priorities, taking the occasional nap in the coolest room in the house & it feels really good.
#18 of 22 Old 07-30-2006, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

OK - the birthday party was today and it was lovely. My mom and DH did a lot of the work, everyone was really laid back about everything and DD had a wonderful time. She was so surprised and pleased and kept saying things like "I love these peoples" and "Birthday cake, my FAVORITE". All the kids ran around my yard like crazy, and gave me the idea to have a water party next year and let them be naked and run through sprinklers etc. I am exhausted now, but it was so worth it to see the joy on my 2 year old's face.

Now we can let the real nesting begin!
#19 of 22 Old 07-31-2006, 05:06 AM

Awe, Janet that's great! So glad it went so well
#20 of 22 Old 07-31-2006, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthFree
Yeah, sometimes moving feels like overdoing it right now, I agree

I am moving our house this weekend and next, I'm packing everything up, unpacking everything... cleaning, painting, placing in the rest of our kitchen flooring, you know - general moving... but nutso for a 36w pg woman (or at least *I* think so!). Ugh ugh ugh.

We are never, ever moving or building on when a baby is due - EVER again.
~Julie
We are also moving. So you are not the only . The last month I've been packing stuff into boxes, cleaning, etc. Just got our house on the market yesterday.

Im due tomorrow. :P Please take it easy, I've been swelling and dropping protein since starting this madness. DH works 1.5 hrs away...
#21 of 22 Old 07-31-2006, 07:39 PM

Add me to the crazy cleaning lady list...things I never clean are now spotless! I'd been putting it off until I was kinda close, because I didn't want everything to get dirty again...but of course I seriously understimated how much harder housework is with a belly like this! So...I'm almost done, and coming to peace with what isn't going to happen. It's just too exhausting!
#22 of 22 Old 07-31-2006, 07:47 PM

I'm still busy at work...had a program for 100 kids today (I'm a librarian). Luckily I just got to watch, but it's still a hassle. I'm feel like I'm always so much on the go, it's really weird to have my body starting to tell me that I'm gonna have to quit it soon!

I pretty much feel like I have a bowling ball sitting on my pelvis, and am realizing that I'd better get my stuff at work together (to prepare for my
maternity leave) ASAP so I don't have to worry about it anymore!

I'm kind of looking forward to actually having the baby, because then I just *can't* be a control freak anymore and I think that will be nice for once!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page