When "It's Time"... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-01-2006, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I could never imagine myself saying, "Honey, it's time", like they do on tv. And when I was pregnant with baby #1, my husband thought it should be something like an alarm clock or the toaster popping, so he said when the baby is done, it'll go "BING!"

So did/does anyone else have a code-word or some special way they announced that labor had started?

When my water broke at midnight with #1, I called down the stairs (my husband was still up as usual), "BING! At least, I think!"

With baby #2, I was dialing the phone to call him as my water broke. He was "working" at a friend's house in Cambridge. So I asked him to please bring home some "bing cherries" because we were out (mind you, it was January, but my husband doesn't notice these technicalities). And he just didn't get it for a moment...I guess he thought it was some strange pregnancy craving, that I wanted specifically bing cherries. And then it dawned on him.

So at 3:30 or so this morning, I woke him up and asked him if he had returned the boys Bing & Bong DVD to Netflix (it's actually called Tiny Planets, but the two main characters are named Bing & Bong; we returned it weeks ago, but he woke right up trying to remember). I said, "I'm pretty sure we returned Bong, but Bing is still here!"

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#2 of 10 Old 08-01-2006, 07:45 AM

Okay, too much talking in code here, Krista.... It sounds like you're in labor & on another thread from what you wrote it sounds like your water broke... Maybe I'm just still sleepy

At any rate, I hope everything's going well!
#3 of 10 Old 08-01-2006, 09:03 AM

From what you wrote on the energy thread, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it sounds like you're in labor! I love the BING idea, I wish babies had those pop out timers like on turkeys, so when they were ready our bellies would have a little plastic thing pop out and we could say they were done cooking.

PS Freaking out on the Bing and Bong thing, Noggin JUST had a little Bing and Bong mini-show between shows. Maybe it's a sign...

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
#4 of 10 Old 08-01-2006, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

HAHA, I just saw that too, on Noggin. I just changed the channel though, since it looks like they've changed the shows around recently and I HATE Dora the Explorer.
However, A.J. just requested "Thomas music". Looks like I'm going to be laboring to a Thomas the Tank Engine CD! :

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#5 of 10 Old 08-01-2006, 09:09 AM

I hate hate hate when they rearrange the schedule. Drives me nuts. Kids thrive on routine, then they go and pull this stunt. Urgh. DD likes Dora, but I can't stand her, she's always YELLING. So I'm in the other room. What an interesting music mix to labor too, you'll have to let me know how it goes...

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
#6 of 10 Old 08-01-2006, 10:28 AM

Hehe, okay, nevermind! I just found VeganF's updates in the August thread
#7 of 10 Old 08-01-2006, 11:15 AM

We never had a code word, lol. It was more like "Ow, honey, wake up, I know you just fell asleep. Get me a towel now! Honey, my water broke and I'm leaking on the bed, please get.me.a.towel.now!" LOL
#8 of 10 Old 08-01-2006, 11:31 AM

Last time I just said, I think I am in labour. :

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#9 of 10 Old 08-01-2006, 12:23 PM

Yea Krista! I'll be sending positive energy vibes to you all day! Good luck.

As for the topic, I just say, "I'm in labor." Creative, huh? Although with ds, it was a little difference since my water broke first. I got up about one and went and laid on the couch because I was uncomfortable. I let the dog out (this was December in Colorado, mind you, and the dog is all of 7 pounds). When I got up to let him in, pop, my water broke. So, I went into the bedroom to go to the bathroom. Woke dh up on the way by and said, "Honey, wake up. Let the dog in. My water broke." What a way to be woke up from a dead sleep!
#10 of 10 Old 08-01-2006, 01:13 PM

Congrats Krista! No code word on our side...DH keeps asking if "I'm in labor" when I groan or something. It's kind of cute because he'll come running if he hears the slightest sniffle (thinks I'm crying through a contraction or something).

I told him yesterday at lunch that he can stop asking b/c he would literally be the first to know as I would sit there thinking "Am I in labor?" and tell him what was happening and he would be the one to be clearheaded enough to identify it as yes or no.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page