The belly cast (36.5w) done last night - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-04-2006, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DH did an awesome job so I just wanted to share it...
Belly cast.

It's not cut down or sanded or painted or ANYthing, but I still think it looks cool. I'll have to figure out what I want to do with it (like what I want to paint on it, etc.) but for now, just seeing it is cool. I'm feeling a bit paranoid about it though b/c if anything happens to it there's no replacing or re-creating it, you know? Yikes.

So a word to the wise, should you use Vaseline (which you should) under your casting, it won't wash off very well... no matter how many times you wash it. So I'm still feeling a bit greasy today even... ick.

We used 4 rolls of 4" (by 5 yards) quick setting plaster cut into various sizes. I think honestly that if you could do some of the harder cuts first (like the stuff that goes around your chest, boobs, etc.) before you started initially it would make it a lot easier, but we did pretty good just flying by the seat of our pants.

Must say DH was happy to slater his wife with Vaseline and then plaster me with the strips... it was too funny. I assume that would be pretty fun since at this point in pg I'm not all for walking around naked or whatever.
~Julie

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#2 of 9 Old 08-04-2006, 06:13 PM

That looks great! I keep thinking how cool it would be to do one... I should get off my butt and just do it! And hopefully this won't sound, um, innapropriate, but... Your body looks great!
#3 of 9 Old 08-04-2006, 07:32 PM

Julie, your cast looks awesome!!! Thanks so much for posting the pics! That's so cool that your DH was really in to it too

My midwife recommended either Vaseline or olive oil for me... couldn't find any Vaseline, so went w/ olive oil... sounds like I got lucky! Not sure how we're going to decorate mine either... I just love it though. It makes me so proud of my body.

Pics of mine: http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...KazyJjDntlyUg&
#4 of 9 Old 08-04-2006, 07:36 PM

Great casts ladies! I did one with my last kiddo, it was fun. We used plastic wrap in place of oil or vaseline and it worked great. My dd has to have a belly cast, too. It was so cute - I have this tiny belly cast from a four year old. I treasure it almost as much as my belly cast!
#5 of 9 Old 08-04-2006, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMama
My dd has to have a belly cast, too. It was so cute - I have this tiny belly cast from a four year old. I treasure it almost as much as my belly cast!
What a great idea
#6 of 9 Old 08-04-2006, 07:58 PM

i didn't find the vasaline too hard to get off. but maybe i didn't use as much.
#7 of 9 Old 08-04-2006, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know someone who used plastic wrap, as well. Even though my kit came with vaseline, I couldn't imagine having that slathered all over me I'm also going to wear a bra because, um, the ladies won't look so attractive cast without a bit of support so I will need plastic wrap over that part!

Your cast is so lovely! I will be about as far along as you when I do mine this weekend. I hope it turns out as well!
#8 of 9 Old 08-04-2006, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Great cast Jen! Oh my gosh ColoradoMama, that would be so cute to have a tiny one too awww!

Saran wrap isn't a bad idea, but I wanted the detail (of my belly button... but um, my nipples are kind of sticky outy (though great for nursing!) all the time sooooo, no matter how I did that they kind of just look like normal. Hence why I wear padded bras ).

I'd love to see yours when you are done mamamilkers!

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#9 of 9 Old 08-04-2006, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamilkers
I'm also going to wear a bra because, um, the ladies won't look so attractive cast without a bit of support so I will need plastic wrap over that part!
That's what I did! I wore a string bikini top actually...

I have always had the "perfect" SIZED boobs -- (at least I think so) -- not too big, not too small......BUT they aren't exactly the lovliest looking breasts one has ever laid eyes on and I am not really much for trying to fool myself into believing otherwise. I am the woman who likes to parade around naked putting my hair into a ponytail so they stand up and behave Then they look great

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page