My water broke! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 08-14-2006, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wow. totally clear fluid ... just LOTS of it. dh is on the way to pick me up, we're going to the m/w office and i guess we'll go from there

i thought i'd peed myself

then i realized i didn't need to pee

right then, off we go ...
#2 of 23 Old 08-14-2006, 04:48 PM

Good luck! I'm totally jealous!

Happy birthing

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
#3 of 23 Old 08-14-2006, 05:04 PM

Yay!! So jealous over here! Keep us updated!
#4 of 23 Old 08-14-2006, 05:28 PM

Yipee! Safe and powerful birthing vibes to you!

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#5 of 23 Old 08-14-2006, 08:12 PM

I'll be thinking about you! I'm jealous, too!
#6 of 23 Old 08-14-2006, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

:

So I went in and got checked out, and yes, my water is indeed broken (and broken and broken and broken, omg it's SO messy )

Anyway, I'm not having any "real" contractions - they're not painful and they're not terribly strong - so they told me to come back when I was 3-5mins apart and couldn't talk or walk through the pain. I figure I'll either spontaneously start having good ctx in the middle of the night tonight, or some time tomorrow morning. AARRRGH, so frustrating ... I'm so ready!!

But at least I'm guaranteed to be laboring within the next 24 hours, and that's SUCH a relief.

Come on, uterus ...
#7 of 23 Old 08-14-2006, 11:04 PM

go uterus, go!

sending you "real" contraction vibes...

--k
#8 of 23 Old 08-14-2006, 11:11 PM

At least they didn't immediately slap you in the hospital on pitocin since your water had broken!! It'll start up on it's own, I'm sure!
I'm jealous, too, btw!!

Laura
Mom to three
#9 of 23 Old 08-14-2006, 11:16 PM

I'm jealous too, good labor vibes coming your way!

Mom to Liz (14) and Dillon (3) and Mitchell FINALLY born 7/11/10!
#10 of 23 Old 08-15-2006, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by didelphus
At least they didn't immediately slap you in the hospital on pitocin since your water had broken!! It'll start up on it's own, I'm sure!
I'm jealous, too, btw!!
I too was relieved that they didn't do that ... they are threatening to induce if I haven't spontaneously gone into labor by tomorrow morning. It's embarassing to note, though, that while I was in the hospital getting checked out, I almost asked them to do the prostaglandin gel. I was like, ok, I'm here, I'm settled in, let's go. Make with the pain and the baby and such. But thankfully the mw on call was levelheaded and knew I was just anxious to get labor going. She calmly explained to dh and I that if baby can come on his own, it's safer and more satisfying for all involved. Plus she admitted that the more someone pokes around on you in a hospital, the more of a risk for infection you have, and once they start "intervening", I leave myself open to more and more intervention. Hooray for my nice crunchy midwife.

Ctx are now 6-7 minutes apart, and getting stronger.

Didelphus, I come from BFE Louisiana myself (though I'm in suburban D.C. now). Aiee, cher!
#11 of 23 Old 08-15-2006, 12:32 AM

Yea, sounds like baby will be here soon!
#12 of 23 Old 08-15-2006, 06:59 AM

Hooray for you!!

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#13 of 23 Old 08-15-2006, 07:27 AM

I hope you are holding you baby right now.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#14 of 23 Old 08-15-2006, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktbug
I too was relieved that they didn't do that ... they are threatening to induce if I haven't spontaneously gone into labor by tomorrow morning. It's embarassing to note, though, that while I was in the hospital getting checked out, I almost asked them to do the prostaglandin gel. I was like, ok, I'm here, I'm settled in, let's go. Make with the pain and the baby and such. But thankfully the mw on call was levelheaded and knew I was just anxious to get labor going. She calmly explained to dh and I that if baby can come on his own, it's safer and more satisfying for all involved. Plus she admitted that the more someone pokes around on you in a hospital, the more of a risk for infection you have, and once they start "intervening", I leave myself open to more and more intervention. Hooray for my nice crunchy midwife.

Ctx are now 6-7 minutes apart, and getting stronger.
Yes! I work in a hospital... one of my co-workers had her water break while at work, walked herself down to L&D, sat around for a couple of hours w/ no contractions, commenced induction & had a lovely c-section 12 hours later for "failure to progress". :

I'm SO GLAD you got to go home & hoping that you're in a fabulous established labor!!!
#15 of 23 Old 08-15-2006, 10:53 AM

Hoping that things are going/have gone well! Looking forward to an update.
#16 of 23 Old 08-15-2006, 11:39 AM

Hmmm. Yesterday at 11pm was the last update...you could be holding your baby as I write this!!!! WOOHOO!
I am living vicariously through everyone else at this point because I don't think I am EVER having my baby. Due today, for what it's worth. Well, if she had been born last night or today I would have had to name her Amaya because it is one of the names on my list and it means Night Rain...either that or else Reina. It will likely be the ONLY rain for the month of August so at least I can narrow two names off my list! So something good came of the wait!
#17 of 23 Old 08-15-2006, 12:02 PM

Oh I hope you are either in full blown labor or are holding your sweet baby now!

SummerTwilight, I LOVE the name Reina, but DH refused to consider it b/c he used to work with someone who had a chihuahua named Raina.

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
#18 of 23 Old 08-18-2006, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Things didn't go so very well. I didn't ever establish a "good" pattern of strong contractions before their 8am cutoff time, and when I went on over to L&D the attending OB (who has the final say over the attending CNM) thought that we should go ahead with pitocin instead of trying a prostaglandin gel first, his reasoning being that I could be waiting around for the gel to work and then have still no labor by the 24-hour mark of PROM (at which point aggressive pitocin would be the course of action).

So at around 10:30am on Tuesday, against my better judgement, I agreed to let them hook me up to a pit drip, 4 units per hour to start (which I understand is pretty low). It took right away, but unfortunately an L&D nurse took it upon herself to crank it up to 12 uph WITHOUT TELLING ME.

Around 1pm I took Nubain for the pain. The period 1:05-1:40 is possibly the only bearable part of this story for me. As it began to wear off, I made the second mistake, giving in to the pressure of taking the epidural. At this point the pit was going in at 16uph and I was in absolute agony with 50 second contractions spaced about a minute apart, 3cm dilated.

The first anesthesiologist misplaced the epi, leaving my right side numb but my left side totally aware. Rather than immediately replacing the catheter, they propped me up on my right side, thinking the medicine would drip to the left and I would get some relief. Oh, and I had to pee really badly, but the Foley wasn't in yet. They said that when the Foley went in and the pressure on my bladder drained off, the epi should work perfectly. 20 minutes after placing the Foley, when that still hadn't worked, they called in the second anesthesiologist, who replaced my faulty epidural with a faulty combination spinal/epi. This time my left side was fine, but I still felt everything down low in the birth canal on the right side, with the added bonus that I couldn't move my hips or legs at all by myself, and I could feel every inch of the Foley.

At 4:30pm, still 4cm and still on the pit and in agony, a third anesthesiologist came in and put an extra dose of fentanyl in my catheter. That seemed to numb the right side a bit more, but I'd be lying if I told you it helped. The mw came in around 4:45, told me to rest for an hour and then we'd see where we were. At 5:45, I started to feel the contrax hard-core through all the drugs, and I began to shake uncontrollably. An OB came and checked me out down below, then commanded the nurse to remove the Foley, that I was fully dilated and ready to go. They put big full-length mirror at the end of the bed, and a particularly loathed L&D nurse held my right leg while my husband held my left. They could never get the contraction strip on the monitor properly, which is probably why they gave me so much pit so quickly, and as a result they couldn't tell when I was about to contract, so I was the one directing the pushing. I told the mw to stop telling me "harder, harder" - I was the only one that knew when and how the ctx were coming.

We started to push at 6pm. At 7:57, baby Lucas was born.

There is a LOT more to this story. Highlights include:

Anesthesiologist #1: You will feel a little pressure.
Me: ... whoa. dizzy now - ears ringing - heart rate way up, guys ...
Nurse: Huh?
Anesthesiologist #1: That's normal.

(when I was off the BP cuff momentarily, trying to place epi #2)
BP monitor: (shrill alarm sound)
Me: what was that?
Nurse: Oh, don't worry about that, it's just the machine.

Me: How fast are you sending that pitocin? What number is it on?
Nurse: Uh, I think it's on ... 8.
Me: Could you turn the display towards me, please?
Nurse: Let me ask the mw.
(nurse leaves room)
Me: DH, would you tell me what the number says on that IV machine?
DH: You're at 12.

And that was just on the L&D unit. OB recovery was a completely different adventure.

Here's what matters: He's here. He's BEAUTIFUL. I had a slight natural tear, but no crash section and no episiotomy. We love him and he was worth any amout of pain and suffering.

Next time, UC in the woods with two close friends, a doula, some :, and a bottle of very good wine.
#19 of 23 Old 08-18-2006, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktbug
Next time, UC in the woods with two close friends, a doula, some :, and a bottle of very good wine.

I'm so sorry that you didn't have the experience you wanted, BUT you got your beautiful babe and you are all healthy! Congrats momma!!!! Enjoy your babymoon

Lee Ann ~ SAHM to Carolina(4)uc.jpg, Aurora (2)uc.jpg, and belly.gifwith #3 - due in December!
#20 of 23 Old 08-18-2006, 05:01 PM

: : : Grrrr. I am so angry for you! What a jerk nurse!! Sometimes it is so clear why they call it a medical PRACTICE. Cause I swear they are just practicing on us.
Well, kudos to you for getting through it so well and much relief that all ended so wonderfully for you all.
Welcome to your little one.
#21 of 23 Old 08-18-2006, 07:23 PM

Sorry to hear all you went through. BTDT with dd and it was very tough. Glad to hear both you and babe are ok. Healing peaceful vibes headed your way.
#22 of 23 Old 08-19-2006, 08:17 AM

Wow, your birthstory sounds a lot like mine would if I wrote it.. I had planned a natural birth and ended up with pitocin and epidural after some 17+ hours of no progression after my water broke - and just like you I had some bad luck with the epidural only working on the right side (eeek! how awkward does that feel?).

Of all the scenarios I imagined I never thought of my water breaking and then.. nothing! :

But like you said, the baby is here Congrats!
#23 of 23 Old 08-19-2006, 02:26 PM

KTBug - you have your little one. What a gift.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page