I'll take any encouragement/ words of wisdom... induction scheduled for tomorrow - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 08-21-2006, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, all...

I'm really grieving today. My baby has still not seen fit to appear, and given my blood clotting disorder and Lovenox injections, I am scheduled to start an induction tomorrow evening (at 40 weeks exactly). They actually wanted to induce between 38-39 weeks, and I talked them back to tomorrow... thinking that she would be days old by the time we got to this point.

Well, she's not coming tonight (from the feel of things), and I'm going in for "cervical ripening" tomorrow night, with pitocin to start Wednesday.

I've tried everything natural (except stripping membranes and the cohoshes).

I didn't really picture birth being like this... at all! I was expecting to birth at the hospital, given the fact that I am on blood thinners, but I thought she'd come on her own schedule, etc.

So, how can I take this negativity and sadness and try to turn it around to still be a (relatively) positive birth experience?

I do understand the reasoning / evidence based medicine behind the induction, and I'm not willing to just not show up tomorrow... any other advice, though, would be great!!!

You mamas are all so great,
Erin
#2 of 20 Old 08-21-2006, 08:35 PM

I'm so sorry that this isn't turning out the way you had hoped for. It seems as if though you believe that there really are legitimate reasons for this induction. I'm so glad that the medical technology is there to help women who truly need it - as it sounds as if you do. Your little one needs a healthy mama, so please be easy on yourself. You're going to be meeting your baby very soon, and that is a super amazing event. It's going to be a wonderful moment. Not every induction goes poorly - in fact, many go superbly. I'll be sending as many positive vibes to you as I can. Remember there will be lots of mamas thinking of you and sending you positive energy. I hope and pray that everything goes smoothly, and that you'll come out on the other end with a very positive experience. Good luck.

p.s. Have you tried acupuncture? If not, it may be something that can help you.
#3 of 20 Old 08-21-2006, 08:38 PM

I'm a hospital based midwife, so I've seen my share of inductions...

They are not all bad, terrible things. Some people have great experiences. (()) to you cause I know that this isn't your first choice.

I would suggest that you try to keep things as normal as possible for as long as possible.... Try to eat (if they'll let you) stuff you like (send out for it), wear your own clothes, watch TV or movies you like, read some stuff, listen to music you like, etc. That keeps the mood off "am I feeling anything yet?" When you are there from the beginning, you miss the labor building up slowly while you do normal stuff. Even doing needlework or reading a magazine in early labor gets your mind back to normal-ness and less into "omg, I felt a twinge." I think that it helps you to ease into laborworld a little easier.

I also have found that a nice, peaceful environment in a labor room naturally rubs off on all the people in there. Low lights (even if your dh has to get up and turn them off 22 times), good music, no horror story type conversations.... That sort of things. Whatever sounds good to you.

Good luck tomorrow! We can't wait to see a baby announcement.
#4 of 20 Old 08-21-2006, 08:45 PM

Sending you gentle birthing vibes. I managed to have a pretty good hospital induction with my 2nd baby. Just remember to stay off your back! Push on your side, squatting, kneeling, hands and knees, anything but flat on your back!
#5 of 20 Old 08-21-2006, 08:50 PM

Oh Erin, I'm so sorry that you are disappointed in the way your little one will most likely be making her appearrance. I hope that I can make you feel a little bit better...

I was induced with both of my boys. Turns out that with both pregancies I had low AFI at the end, and my OB thought it was best to get things moving. Since I have nothing to compare my experiences to, I feel great about how things went, and actually feel that induction was a very calm, controlled, normal way to give birth. I'll share my story with you from last week to see if it helps you feel better...

I went in for my 38w 2day checkup, had my ultrasound to check fluid, and was sent right over to the hospital to induce. My OB met me there and broke my water right away. I was already at 4-5 and 70% effaced. She felt I was ready to go anyway. But the contractions started about 45 minutes later and then they started a low dose of pitocin to regulate their strength and duration. They became regular quickly, and I had an epidural (I have a very low pain tolerance...). Once I had the epidural, I was very comfortable and was able to relax. I progressed quickly, started pushing around 5:30 and my dear Spencer was born at 6:13. All along the way, the nurses and my OB were explaining everything, answering all my questions, and I was comfortable enough to really take everything in. I have absolutely no regrets or qualms about being induced-especially if you have a medical reason that necessitates it.

So for me, personally, both of my birth experiences were wonderful. I was induced both times, I had epidurals both times, and I had two beautiful healthy little boys. I know that the prospect of induction sounds scary-I was scared both times too. But the environment I was lucky enough to deliver in was so calm and controlled that I'm not sure I would have 'enjoyed' the panicked drive to the hospital in full labor-beggining DH to run the lights. LOL!

I hope this makes you feel a little better. Be ready to ask questions and be involved in your birth process, even if your doctor is just getting things started for you. Good luck-we're here for you!
#6 of 20 Old 08-21-2006, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! 4 responses in less than 10 minutes. This is the amazing support you get from MDC. I do have a doula, who will come and stay once labor has actually started, and she has a backup (who I really like as well), so they said that they're with me for the long haul... hopefully, btw them and my DH, we can all stay calm and focused.

I got the doula b/c I thought a hospital birth would be bad enough... never thought I'd end up hooked to an IV the whole time. Thanks for the reminder; I do have to amend my birth bag to have a couple normal outfits in it and some entertainment (I'm thinking DVD's on my laptop)... wasn't planning to go to the hospital until very active labor had started.

My mantra today has been: "It will all be fine. It will all be okay"

We're still working on it... I'm trying my best.
#7 of 20 Old 08-21-2006, 09:32 PM

Are you hoping to go without pain meds? Maybe your hospital can offer you a tub to labor in. Mine did and it was fabulous. I know some of them have waterproof telemetry units for the pit. Maybe once you're dialated enough they can break your water and turn the pit off. Once my water was broken my babe was born within 4 hours. Hope it works out for you!
#8 of 20 Old 08-21-2006, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

It's OK to mourn the loss of the "ideal birth experience." Just don't let it get in the way of the birth you ARE going to have.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#9 of 20 Old 08-21-2006, 10:33 PM

I had a pit induction for my second birth -- and while it wasn't wonderful, I still managed an otherwise drug free waterbirth (unhooked from IV at the end to get in the tub)...It was not a bad experience, to be honest -- it just sort of lacked that magical mystical quality but it was still empowering and breathtaking and all those lovely things birth can be.

I think your mantra should be:

"It is what it is, and I can choose to be at peace."

Good luck and lots of
#10 of 20 Old 08-21-2006, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

I was planning on going without pain medications for a non-induced labor... I might be a little more likely to request them if the induction takes a loooong time or if the pit makes things "worse"... although with a first time labor, who know what worse is? I'm still planning to go without an epidural, though. I'd much prefer a 1-time dose of an analgesia to being limited by the rules around the epidural.

I do have telemetry listed as a request in my birth plan, and I will make it a point to request to be able to use a tub or warm water until my membrane breaks. That's good advice... thanks!

As we speak, I'm having hard BH contractions and a bad back ache... maybe we'll never even get to pitocin. A girl can dream, huh?

Thanks, and I'll still be reading until tomorrow evening,
Erin
#11 of 20 Old 08-21-2006, 10:44 PM

I used pitocin during my first labor and never used any pain meds. It really can be done even though everyone will tell you otherwise. You also sound much more informed and prepared than I was, so I bet you'll do great. Good luck, I'm wishing you the best.

Just a tip incase it happens to you. Once my waters broke, I was not allowed to leave my bed or walk around. It was the rule and there was really not much I could do about it. So I kept "having to pee". Then when I was in the bathroom I'd squat during contractions or do a few lunges with my foot up on the tub or something. I think it really helped me move things along. But hopefully your hospital will be a lot more friendly about certain things than mine was.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#12 of 20 Old 08-21-2006, 10:50 PM

Hi Erin-

Even though I haven't even had my baby yet, I keep telling myself over and over to keep an open mind (I'm a bit of a control freak!). We all have our versions of the ideal birth, but I keep reminding myself that the bottom line is that an ideal birth is when you end up with a happy healthy baby. And in this case, it sounds like being induced is the best path to this result for your body.

Of all the interventions out there, it sounds like you have yours planned to be as least invasive as possible, and kudos for that!

I will be sending you peace and relaxation vibes in the hopes that your birth will be as close to your hopes as possible. I'm glad you have a doula lined up, I'm sure that will be helpful!

Good luck tomorrow, and I can't wait to hear about your new wonderful little baby girl!
#13 of 20 Old 08-21-2006, 11:06 PM

lots of big, big ((((hugs))) to you. I don't have any better advice than what has been given to you....but my best friend was recently induced because of preeclampsia, and she had been passionately planning a homebirth since before she even got pregnant! It was still a wonderful experience and she regrets nothing about her birth. She is completely positive about it. Sure, this is not what you'd planned, but it will still be special and glorious and at the end you get to meet your beautiful, HEALTHY baby, and what she needs is a healthy mama, so you're doing the right thing. Good luck tomorrow, I'll be thinking of you.

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
#14 of 20 Old 08-22-2006, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

You guys are all so great! The blood clotting issue doesn't actually affect me at all, but rather my placenta. They are worried that the placenta is more likely to clot off after my due date, b/c of many studies showing significant increased stillbirth with this condition after 39 weeks. So, a healthy baby is what we're after, and since she's still kicking (endlessly)... I'm convinced that she's still fine for now.

Thankfully, they haven't pulled the "big baby" card (even though she was 9 lbs estimated last week) or anything else... just the "stillbirth" card --> worst card ever...

I digress, though. It seems that I've gained a lot of acceptance of this in the last 2 days, as opposed to fighting it (which was the whole previous week). It could be much worse... my DH was 3 weeks late, and his mom went in for an appt, and they took her straight to a C-section with no real explanation or possibility for induction.

New mantra: "I can choose my experience"

Thanks, and can't wait to post about my baby girl to come!
Erin
#15 of 20 Old 08-22-2006, 08:39 AM

keep that positive mind set momma and you'll be great!!!!!

Lee Ann ~ SAHM to Carolina(4)uc.jpg, Aurora (2)uc.jpg, and belly.gifwith #3 - due in December!
#16 of 20 Old 08-22-2006, 09:29 AM

Hi Erin,

I just had my induction 2 wks ago. I totally understand how you are feeling. I really wanted to do it on my own too. But I had pre-e symptoms and again a healthy baby was the final goal. I planned on med free and did for about 90% of my time. If you need it you'll know and as much as I didn't want meds I did end up needing them. I second pp suggestion to keep yourself busy, I played a little handheld game and looked at magazines that I hadn't had a chance to read before. I also ate little snacks here and there to keep my energy up. I had super nice nurses and they totally respected all my wishes and were very supportive of keeping a calm environment and letting me kind of do my own thing within their guidelines. It was not the way I imagined my perfect birth, but it was still a good experience. Plus we ended up with less meds than my dd's birth because I was healthier (pre-e hadn't progressed as far) than I was before because we scheduled the induction before I got worse.

Best wishes to you! and big hugs You will do a great job!
Jennifer
#17 of 20 Old 08-22-2006, 12:43 PM

I hope it all goes well regardless of how your birth begins. Let us know how it goes!

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#18 of 20 Old 08-22-2006, 12:50 PM

I am sorry about losing the ideal birth, I had that happen with my daughter. That said if it is for the best there isn't much you can do. I hope things go as well as they can and I can't wait to hear about your baby

tara
#19 of 20 Old 08-22-2006, 12:54 PM

I had a pit induction with my first, and was able to do it without pain meds (I'm not going to lie...it was hard). My advice is to ask that the lowest dose of pit is used. Too much pit can cause hyperstimulation, and that's not good for you or the baby.

Please take care!
#20 of 20 Old 08-22-2006, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Hello, all... Thanks for your kind words of support and love... I'm leaving in the next hour to go out to eat (on doula's suggestion) and then for the hospital, so I just checked in one more time.

I can do it! It'll be okay. I'm so glad some mamas posted about their experiences, so I can take it all and make the absolute best of it.

I'll post as soon as we get home from the hospital with a birth announcement to all...

Erin

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page