our baby girl has arrived - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-21-2006, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I'm finally getting around to posting my birth story now.

Last monday, August 14, at 1:30 am I woke with some strong pressing pains and I tried to go back to sleep as I'd had these on and off for 2 weeks. By 2:30 am I couldn't sleep anymore and started to feel some contractions and still I tried to sleep as I'd had these on and off for 2 weeks also. By 3am I decided to get out of bed and I hung out in the living room, sometimes on all fours, and sometimes over the couch, wishing they would stop so I could go back to sleep. While trying to doze, I looked at the vcr clock to time the contractions, about 4am. They were 2 min. apart. Still I thought that this could go on for hours and hours, so I decided to let Darryl sleep, and I also thought I should get myself organized. So I did a few things like defrost some perineal wash icecubes and keep drinking water. I also tided up a bit between contractions (I needed something to occupy my mind other than contractions themselves). I was also enjoying being alone during this part of labour. No one waiting beside me, perhaps impatiently or anxiously; no questions, no need for me to comment. (I felt my last labour, at St.Paul's, was too busy with Grace and June coming and going from my room to the room next door with another labouring mom, along with dh, my mom, nurses, and 2 phone calls from my father-in-law (my mom can not resist a ringing phone and he didn't know I was still in labour in the room he was calling))

By 4:50 am, I realized that I needed to wake Darryl up as the contractions were getting stronger. Just as I walked into the bedroom, Bohdan sat up and said, "I'm all wet." So Darryl took care of the change of clothes and said he would lie down with him to put him back to sleep. Well, ds kept waiting for me to come in and sleep too. I was thinking Darryl would be back out soon and he could call the mw. Half an hour later he still was not out and I thought I'd better call Grace and June. Beth who has been added to the team was on call and after talking to me decided to come right away. At 5:30am I thought I'd better call my mom and tell her to hop on the next ferry from Nanaimo to look after ds. Then I jumped into the shower as the contractions were getting stronger and Darryl was still not out of the bedroom. Suddenly, I felt myself needing to wail and push. I heard ds start to cry. I had another contraction and pushed. I knew I had to get out. I opened the bedroom door and said "I need help. Call the mw again" Poor Bohdan, he was so stunned. I told him "mommy's body is working really hard right now to get the baby out" and I stood in the hallway with another contraction, wail and push. Ds looked so upset and I couldn't help him. Dh was on the phone trying to get Beth, and then the door buzzed so she was here, and then got lost in the hallway, so had to go back down again and buzz. A few more contractions came. Dh had to wait for Beth, but I needed him to set up the plastic and sheet. I decided on the living room over the couch would be best. Just as Beth got in the door, I wailed again, and she came over and checked me to see that I was crowing. Its about 6:05 am or maybe 6:10 now. She furiously began unpacking her supplies and Dh was looking around for other things we needed like the blue pads and ds was scared and needed him too. I tried to reassure him inbetween contractions but it was getting too intense. Grace had not yet arrived, but was on her way. I was leaning over the couch, and few more contractions later, and our baby girl 'flew' out at 6:19am with a loud cry. It was so fast that her shoulders came out square, as they did not have enough time to rotate! (*ouch* that caused a tear). Everyone was stunned. The cats were watching too and out of the corner of my eye, I saw them leap back in fear and surprize. A few minuites later, I asked ds if he wanted to snuggle, so sitting on the floor against the couch with babe in one arm, and toddler in the other, we waited for the cord to stop pulsating and the placenta to birth. Some time later ds and dh cut the cord together.

Dd weighed 7lbs 9oz, slightly smaller than ds, but both were born a week early. She had trouble latching on right away and started to cry as she desperately wanted to and when she did, produced a few blisters on the tip of my nipple right away. A few days after birth we had to take her to the ped. to get her frenulum (sp?) under her tongue clipped a bit so that she had better tongue movement, and then no longer screamed at the breast. And this was much to the relief of my nipples too! But that was a very stressful moment in the dr's office for us parents!!!!!

It was such a fast labour and birth that dh, ds and me were stunned for awhile. I never thought things could progress so quickly for me!!! My only regret, which is not very big, is not being able to catch dd due to my kneeling position. But I do think it was pretty fantastic!

Dd is wonderful and sleeps great right now and doesn't need hours and hours of walking and rocking like ds did. What a relief. I wonder if this one is my easy baby? She does not yet have a name, poor child, but we are considering Sidonie. I'm just not crazy about the nickname Sid or Nonie. What are some thoughts?

Jessica wool.gif  DS 7  DD 4 homeschool.gif
#2 of 8 Old 08-22-2006, 12:35 AM

wow momma! What a fast birth!!! I can't wait to see pics of your darling little girl. Enjoy your babymoon...btw I love the name Sidonie. Don't worry about the whole nickname thing~

Lee Ann ~ SAHM to Carolina(4)uc.jpg, Aurora (2)uc.jpg, and belly.gifwith #3 - due in December!
#3 of 8 Old 08-22-2006, 12:40 AM

Congratulations! What a memorable birth story. Sidonie seems like a beautiful name. How do you plan to pronounce it? Happy Babymoon!
#4 of 8 Old 08-22-2006, 01:23 AM

Congratulations! So many fast labors in this DDC. I'm glad things went well for you.
#5 of 8 Old 08-22-2006, 08:35 AM

Congratulations on your new baby girl!!

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#6 of 8 Old 08-22-2006, 12:52 PM

Congratulations!!
#7 of 8 Old 08-22-2006, 02:08 PM

Congratulations!

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
#8 of 8 Old 08-22-2006, 05:47 PM

Wow! Welcome sweet little baby girl! Sidonie is a beautiful name. (And I actually like the nickname Sid, it's cute for a girl.)

Congratulations!

Jen, mom of R (9), T (7), C (5), and E (2) ... my stillheart.gifs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page