Didn't get my HBAC or even a VBAC *but* what a blessing we did get!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 08-23-2006, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our beautiful Luna Blue was born Friday, August 18th at 8:03 in the morning via emergency C-section. She weighed in at 8 pounds 14 ounces and 20.5" long.

I woke up Thursday morning and labor was starting. As the day progressed, so did the strength and intensity of the contractions.

The labor process was a beautiful, wonderful experience to have here at home. I labored all of Thursday and into Friday morning with the solid support of J, my midwives two apprentices and our doula. It was hard, no doubt, but I will always remember J bringing hot water to the birthing pool as we all sat outdoors, listening to the song of the night next to the fire in the hearth... Just as I imagined it.

4:30 Friday morning, my water broke and that is when things took a turn for the worse. When Luna's heart rate was checked during contractions, it was dipping dangerously low. Afraid that there was a bit of cord compression, I was asked to try a few contractions with my head down and my rump in the air. I did that and for the first few contractions afterwards it seemed like the problem was solved. I took the chance between contractions to go to the bathroom and lost a bunch more fluid. When I got back to the birthing room, we checked the heart rate again. Everything sounded good until about 30 seconds into the contraction when we heard thump, thump, thump, slower and slower....then silence. The midwife just about threw my butt into the air and the heart rate resumed. A silent panic swept over all of us. It was one of the scariest moments of my life. The midwife told J he should call the neighbors to come and watch the girls and get some things together. My body instictively spaced out the contractions and when the next one came over me, I was still inverted and the same thing happened. The heartrate slowed and seemed to skip a beat or two during the peak.

I'm getting tears in my eyes typing this, but those moments were absoltely terrifying. We immediately knew we had to get to the hospital, and fast. The drive there was intense and I was lost somewhere between despair, shock, panic, and insanity. I thought we were going to lose our girl. My body luckily reacted and contractions spaced out even more. I was riding with my head in J's lap and my butt as high up as I could get it. As dawn spread over the land, we raced down the road. The normally 25 minute ride took 15, the longest 15 minutes of my life. We finally got the hospital and bolted to L&D, luckily they got us into a room and got me hooked up to the monitors quickly. I was still head down and rump up and about 15 seconds into a contraction.

Silence.

I had an out of body experience and what was in reality only 2-3 seconds stretched on and on. The room was silent.

Then, miraculously as the contraction went on, the room was filled with a thump, thump, thump. J and I burst into tears. I said, "Let's get her out, NOW!" and the room burst into activity. I was prepped for surgery pretty quickly and wheeled into the OR.

At 8:03 in the morning, our beautiful and screaming baby girl was pulled from my womb and was so pissed off that she got apgars of 9 and 9. The doctor said that the cord was stuck pretty good against her head and she actually had a noticeable U-shaped indentation in the side of her head for a few hours. J stayed right by her side the whole time, while I was put back together.

Obviously Luna's actual arrival into the world was incredibly different from what I had imagined, I am so thankful that she is here and healthy. There were a few points where I was sure she was going to be lost, so I feel a lot differently about this C-section that I did about Kaya's. And my laboring at home was so peaceful and beautiful... I will never forget the feeling of being surrounded by love and support.

I feel blessed, so blessed to have this beautiful new little girlie!

http://www.amitymama.com/vb/attachme...g?d=1156103606

Best of luck to those of you still waiting for your little bundles!

ETA: Some labor pics can be seen here: http://www.amitymama.com/vb/amity-ma...luna-blue.html
#2 of 18 Old 08-23-2006, 09:32 AM

Congrats on your new baby!
#3 of 18 Old 08-23-2006, 09:48 AM

So happy you and your baby are okay! It sounds like a harrowing experience for you. Sounds like you did exactly the right thing. Peace and healing to you. Congrats on your new perfect bundle of joy!
#4 of 18 Old 08-23-2006, 10:01 AM

Meeshi, I have tears in my eyes just reading your account of your birth

Congratulations on bringing another wonderful baby into the world and welcome to Luna Blue (what a beautiful name!)

I'm sorry you ended up with an emergency C section, but thank goodness your midwife and your body worked together to make everything OK, and that the hospital was there for you when you needed it.

Hope you're enjoying the time with your new babe.
#5 of 18 Old 08-23-2006, 10:06 AM

congrats, i had goosebumps reading your story, thank goodness your daughter is doing fine!
#6 of 18 Old 08-23-2006, 10:23 AM

Congratulations and what a beautiful name!
#7 of 18 Old 08-23-2006, 10:37 AM

congrats Meeshi. I'm so glad to hear that you and baby Luna are doing so well. How scary!!! Your labor sounds like it was absolutely amazing!!! Enjoy your beautiful babe and take it easy

Lee Ann ~ SAHM to Carolina(4)uc.jpg, Aurora (2)uc.jpg, and belly.gifwith #3 - due in December!
#8 of 18 Old 08-23-2006, 11:17 AM

I have a sweet little girl friend named Luna too (age 7). Great kid! Wonderful, inspiring story. SO glad all is well!
#9 of 18 Old 08-23-2006, 11:21 AM

Meeshi, what a terrifying experience for you! I am sooo glad it had a happy ending. As much as we talk about the "perfect" birth experience, sometimes the perfect baby ending is really the important part. You did everything the way you were supposed to, and how wonderful to have been able to labor the way you wanted to at home.

Enjoy your babymoon and little Luna Blue (what a FABULOUS name!)
#10 of 18 Old 08-23-2006, 12:05 PM

What a birth story! Congratulations on you new baby girl. I'm sorry you didn't get your HBAC, but thank goodness the technology is there when it is truly needed, eh? You know, labor is supposed to help babies get ready for the world, so you were able to give that to her. I know the end was tough, but I just wanted to tell you that - sometimes moms feel like, "I went through labor and STILL had a section." It sounds like most of your labor at home though was very peaceful. Anyway, I hope you're recovering well. I'm glad everything turned out okay.
#11 of 18 Old 08-23-2006, 12:12 PM

what a scary experience. I am sorry you didn't get the ideal birth but am so happy your little girl is safe.

welcome to the world Luna Blue

tara
#12 of 18 Old 08-23-2006, 03:05 PM

Oh my gosh! I held my breath while I was reading your story, and as a new mom whose birth also didn't happen as pictured (but still had a good outcome), I know how scary last minute changes can be. I'm so glad your midwife was there for you and you made it to the hospital in time! Welcome to your baby girl and congratulations! Enjoy your babymoon!
#13 of 18 Old 08-23-2006, 09:20 PM

Your experience sounds really scary. I am sooooo happy that everything turned out okay. Welcome baby Luna!!!!!
#14 of 18 Old 08-23-2006, 09:27 PM

your story made MY heart stop. I really felt your fear and your LOVE for your baby. WAy to go mama and dad! I'm so happy for you all. Welcome little LUNA!
#15 of 18 Old 08-23-2006, 09:30 PM

Not from your DDC, but I jsut wanted to say that reading your story brought tears to my eyes. I am so happy that everything worked out for you. Congrats on your little Luna!!

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#16 of 18 Old 08-23-2006, 10:01 PM

That is so scary! I have tears in my eyes, I can't even begin to imagine the panic you must have felt. Thank goodness she is here and healthy. Congratulations!

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
#17 of 18 Old 08-23-2006, 10:34 PM

I'm crying just reading that. What a scary experience. I'm so glad that you both are healthy and safe. Congrats momma!
#18 of 18 Old 08-24-2006, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAtThis
Oh my gosh! I held my breath while I was reading your story, and as a new mom whose birth also didn't happen as pictured (but still had a good outcome), I know how scary last minute changes can be. I'm so glad your midwife was there for you and you made it to the hospital in time! Welcome to your baby girl and congratulations! Enjoy your babymoon!
: I'm so glad that little Luna made it out safely and that you're all doing well. Thank goodness for the medical technology we have, as well as the awesome action of your body spacing those contractions out!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page