Belly button/cord stump question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-27-2006, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The baby's stump fell off at 6 days, but I think it may have been ripped off by a blanket. Her belly button is still really crusty and stinky, and sometimes bleeds brown blood. It's gooey, but I don't think it's infected, b/c it's not puss and it doesn't hurt her when I clean it. I have been using witch hazel to clean it out on occasion, but it's still smelly and gross. Is this normal? It didn't happen with DD#1's.

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
#2 of 7 Old 08-27-2006, 01:34 PM

Is there still some cord remaining, maybe tucked inside? If you clean it with a q-tip can you get in the creases? Our pediatrician had us use a q-tip dipped in calendula tincture with Ryan because it was taking a long time to heal (months) even though there was no obvious cord left.
A.J.'s took a while too. They each have cute swirly-shaped flat belly buttons though!
Luckily Nate's fell off in 5 days, and I only wiped it once with rubbing alcohol.
Will you be seeing a pediatrician soon? Maybe they can check it out. But I bet it'll heal soon if you can keep stuff from rubbing on it and maybe air it out as much as possible.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#3 of 7 Old 08-27-2006, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

We see her dr on Wednesday for the first time, so I will have her take a look at it. It's just getting yuck all over her clothes, I don't want all her cute little outfits to be ruined. I have gotten really in there with a q-tip, there doesn't seem to be any cord stump left. I'm at a loss.

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
#4 of 7 Old 08-27-2006, 02:24 PM

i haven't had mine yet but i remember that ds's cord had fallen off but he still had a scab almost over his belly button BUT it wasn't completely attached. you could see some "gunk" under it and it was smelly and stained his clothes too. i remember trading off using water and alcohol i think. the alcohol sometimes when i completely cleaned it out and disinfected it and then every time i thought it was starting to get on his clothes i would try to wipe it all away.
i do remember the smell of it though!! i was worred about it but i think by about 2 weeks it was completely gone and just a cute little belly button was left. i did ask my dr though.
#5 of 7 Old 08-27-2006, 03:07 PM

Joshua's cord came off last Sunday (7 days old). It was also stinky and full of yuck. I used hydrogen peroxide on a q-tip to clean it out for a day or two and it is fine now. The peroxide bubbles up any leftover blood/tissue from the cord and isn't as drying to the skin.

Best wishes!
Sarah
#6 of 7 Old 08-27-2006, 06:13 PM

cord care powder works really good, too. It is goldenseal root powder.
#7 of 7 Old 08-27-2006, 09:14 PM

I second the goldenseal root powder! Works really well for drying up the gunk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page