September Life w/ a Babe thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-13-2006, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I donated to the Mothers' Milk Bank in Denver with my oldest son. I just called them today about donating again. I jokingly say that I could feed the neighborhood. It seems like such a waste to not do something with all the extra milk. I mean, I know it'll even out eventually, but I'd like for it to go to help a baby that could use it. If I knew someone close who couldn't produce enough and could use it - I'd give it to them, but I don't. I believe the milk bank here has out of area donors - I'm not positive though. Their phone number is 303-869-1888. The lady from there is supposed to call me tomorrow afternoon, so when I'm talking to her - I'll ask her and post her answer tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2006, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAtThis
I totally bawled at the morning's LLL mtg.
Good for you getting to a LLL meeting so soon! It took me 2 years to finally make it to one. I'm sorry you're feeling so down though. It will get better, but it seems to take forever.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 09-13-2006, 10:39 PM

I am so jelouse of the pumping. Even with the lactina (hospital grade pump) I was only getting 4oz a day. I had to give that one back though, I have a pump in style now and I'm getting 2oz a day. Its so frustrating. I want to get these babies off formula so bad Nursing is getting better though, but I doubt we'll ever be at 100% : I so wanted to nurse these guys exclusivly at least for a little while. Its depressing. I want to go to a lll meeting (I've never been to one) but I'm too embarassed becuase of the formula

Life with 3 under 2 has been very stressful. The babies startle so easily we have to keep them wrapped up almost all the time or they have screaming fits. I can't wait until they become responsive, a smile would be so nice

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
Old 09-14-2006, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azreial
I want to go to a lll meeting (I've never been to one) but I'm too embarassed becuase of the formula
Please don't be! I know that there may be some judgmental people, but most of them are wonderful. I was a leader for four years and I would have loved it if you'd come to my meeting!
Old 09-14-2006, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamilkers

I feel like an idiot, but I can't remember the rule of thumb for changing diapers at night. Some nights I change her in the middle of the night, some nights I don't. I am wondering if a wet dipe is keeping her from sleeping better but I'm also SOOO reluctant to drag my butt out of bed to change her when she's going to scream her head off.
I totally understand! I just started putting mt 2yo's size 4 diaper on my babe at night and it's helped a lot with leaking and probably will keep him dryer feeling. I'm all about as much sleep as possible.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:15 AM

i'm feeling pretty isolated feeding calliope. i had breast surgery so i'm breastfeeding with a supplemental nursing system even though i'm not expressing any milk. dh made his own organic formula recipe. it's great to be connected to dd but the sns system is a total !(*$!@()$*!@()$*)!(@$* pain in the ()#*()#*)#(*. i'd feel 100 percent ok breastfeeding the regular way in public but the system -- oy -- it's too embarassing and distracting.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 in August
Mamamilkers, where are you at? I would love to give babe donor milk instead of formula, but I don't know how to get in touch with someone about it. I have to say, too, I'm so jealous. (In a good way.) I was ecstatic the other day when I pumped 1.5 oz, lol.
I'm in Seattle. Are you in the area?!?! If you want to try and get donor milk ask your midwife (if you have/had one) or maybe even contact a local midwife even if you didn't use one.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:16 AM

Quote:
I am so jelouse of the pumping. Even with the lactina (hospital grade pump) I was only getting 4oz a day. I had to give that one back though, I have a pump in style now and I'm getting 2oz a day. Its so frustrating. I want to get these babies off formula so bad Nursing is getting better though, but I doubt we'll ever be at 100% : I so wanted to nurse these guys exclusivly at least for a little while. Its depressing. I want to go to a lll meeting (I've never been to one) but I'm too embarassed becuase of the formula

Life with 3 under 2 has been very stressful. The babies startle so easily we have to keep them wrapped up almost all the time or they have screaming fits. I can't wait until they become responsive, a smile would be so nice
I feel for you. I probably pump about 2oz a day and that's when I actually can pump. I know that it is a major part of building supply, but when I have to choose between putting Ian down and listening to him cry while I pump or not making him cry it is a hard choice to make. I can't listen to him cry, it just breaks my heart. So I don't pump as much as I should. I'm embarassed about formula too. I have one friend who gave up on breastfeeding after a couple days and she tries to be supportive, but it ends up feeling like she is pushing me to quit nursing because formula is ok. I know it is, dd had to have it too, but I didn't want to do it again this time.

Dd was 5 wks early and I so remember the horrible startle reflex. I held her constantly for the first couple months and kept her tightly swaddled too. I remember putting her in her snuggly seat (kind of like a car seat but just for inside use). Packing blankets around her and then a big blanket over the top so that she felt like she was still being held and so that she couldn't move and scare herself. I remember that at 4 or 5 months she finally started to protest that arrangement. I'll never forget laying her in her bed for the first time. I put a nursing pillow in with her to make it a smaller space. I was amazed that she was laying down on her own. Before that if I put her down she would wake up and cry and not go back to sleep. And that was with just one baby, I can only imagine that times 2. One thing that works with my baby now is to swaddle him and put a rice sock type thing over his legs so he can't squirm so much. I got the idea from when i was a sp. ed teacher and I remember one of my kids having a weighted blanket because he had sensory issues and the blanket helped him calm down and stay asleep. I wish I would have tried it with dd, but I never thought of it back then.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursula Rose
i'm feeling pretty isolated feeding calliope. i had breast surgery so i'm breastfeeding with a supplemental nursing system even though i'm not expressing any milk. dh made his own organic formula recipe. it's great to be connected to dd but the sns system is a total !(*$!@()$*!@()$*)!(@$* pain in the ()#*()#*)#(*. i'd feel 100 percent ok breastfeeding the regular way in public but the system -- oy -- it's too embarassing and distracting.
I just got an SNS yesterday. It is kind of tricky, but I'm glad to not have the bottle anymore (well, I have it but don't want to use it). I'm definately not good enough with it to try it in public yet. I'm not sure if I will or not. The kind I have has a clip, could you clip it to your bra under your clothes and then nobody would see it? Somebody would have to be looking really hard to notice the tube and if you covered up with a blankie (that's what everyone around here does) nobody would know at all. Just a thought (not like you haven't thought of it already, I'm just thinking about how I'm going to do it). Sorry, I'm rambling, it's 5:20 am and I should be asleep. But for some reason I don't want to so here I am.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamilkers
I'm in Seattle. Are you in the area?!?! If you want to try and get donor milk ask your midwife (if you have/had one) or maybe even contact a local midwife even if you didn't use one.
I wish! I'm in Michigan. I don't have a midwife there used to be one at my ob's office but she's not there anymore. I'll have to do some checking around. About a year and a half ago, I had a friend who was going to donate, but she's been done nursing for so long that I can't get any from her. I just wish my boobs would step up and do their job already so I could stop worrying about it.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

I'm pumping 4-12oz. extra per day now with an Avent hand pump. I so wish I could get it to someone who needs it asap. But I couldn't get an appointment with a doctor from our new health insurance until January!! So I can't get the usual donor bloodwork done until then unless someone would pay for a different doctor to do it. The last bloodwork I had done was almost 2 years ago for life insurance purposes (which I scored in the best possible category), but I'm sure there's stuff they didn't check for that a donor milk recipient would want to know. Sigh. I hate to have all the milk go to waste.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 09-14-2006, 02:03 PM

Jen, we've been putting a hot water bottle over them at night and that helps but during the day they get up so much it would be a waste of time

the babies have been switching off on my today. Once I get one settled the other starts :

I have a friend who was going to donate milk to me too, but sh'es nursing a toddler, whom she's thinking about weaning.

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
Old 09-14-2006, 02:54 PM

so nice to hear how everyone is doing and know I am not alone in my ups and downs with a new baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 in August
I just got an SNS yesterday. It is kind of tricky, but I'm glad to not have the bottle anymore (well, I have it but don't want to use it). I'm definately not good enough with it to try it in public yet. I'm not sure if I will or not. The kind I have has a clip, could you clip it to your bra under your clothes and then nobody would see it? Somebody would have to be looking really hard to notice the tube and if you covered up with a blankie (that's what everyone around here does) nobody would know at all. Just a thought (not like you haven't thought of it already, I'm just thinking about how I'm going to do it).
Bless you for using it!
I tried with DS1 and tried finger feeding too and i just lost my mind over it. I had to give up for sanity!

I have 2 of the starter SNS's if anyone wants them they are free for shipping. 1 was used a few times and 1 is new but the pkg is opened.

Nathan was 4 weeks old yesterday. hooray! I cant believe time is flying the way it is!

He has gained 2 lbs in 2 weeks! : : :
He was 8lb 6 oz at birth, was 7 15 at his 1st Dr appt Aug 28th and was 9 15 yesterday.

We were at the Ped yesterday because I have been thinking I had thrush in my right breast. Then his bottom broke out monday night It's not in his mouth though. I had been having the textbook symptoms of thrush = shooting pain through the breast, the shiny, purply pink nipple, etc...

Yep! We have thrush! oh joy!

PLUS i have mastitis again-so i am sure the antibx gave it to us.

I was shocked though because when i was in my 20s i was sick ALL THE TIME with bronchitis and ear infections and took antibx like candy and never ever got a yeast inf. (I know, different kind...) but anyway, i started taking probiotics, but i guess i took them too late and i also stopped because they gave me terrible stomach cramps.

I am having a hard time maintaining some sort of nursing schedule/pattern what have you. I cant seem to balance taking care of my baby, toddler and myself ( pkus everything else that gests minimally done) so embarrassedly i am admitting I am supplementing. With DS1 he would never nurse and i pumped for 3 weeks and was a zombie and cried all the time and never got enough to feed him for a whole day. I know now it was PPD. I promised my dh i wouldnt put us through that this time and if it had to be formula, then for our family's sanity, then i would do that. So, i think we are about 50/50 but i am trying to build it up to 25/75. As soon as we are over this mastitis and thrush i am hoping it will be better.
I am using nipple shields or he wouldnt be able to nurse at all so that is another challenge. I am thinking though that it wont be long that we wont need one on the right. ( but that is the sore one right now) I am thinking that maybe the shield kept DS from getting thrush in his mouth too... maybe..just thinking out loud.

But Nathan is a very calm baby unless he is really hungry. Or when i have to hold his legs still to put cream on his butt.
He has survived some abuse form his big brother got his first bump on the head.
He was sleeping through every noise and through all of DS1's sceaming and playing but now he is more sensitive to noise. He has a little bit of a hard time going to sleep for the night so i have to rock him, pat his butt and i sing or hum. DH flies off the handle and says "he's fussy, give him soy formula!!" Can i send dh away for a month and then when he comes back I can tell him how things are and he must abide by them?

Night time isnt too bad. He usually wakes up twice to eat, but i either feed him in bed or if he gets too noisy and DS1 has come into our bed, i go into DS1's room. Whatever seems to work. I could definitely use more sleep, but it isnt too bad. Tues night DH let me take a nap and i fell asleep for 3 1/2 hrs and only woke up cuz they all came to bed! Of course i had a fever of 102 so that probably helped me sleep

We have made a few outings. Went to the library at 6 days old. Walmart : the grocery store. I had a family reunion labor day weekend. We have visited the inlaws a few times. Church on sundays. My OB check up. And today I had a dentist appt. So he has been more places than DS1 was at this age. He was a january baby so it was cold and snowy and i wanted to stay in!

Well, i have been online way too long!

Thanks for keeping our DDC going! I read more than i post but i appreciate all of you!

Amy
Old 09-14-2006, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthFree
I *think* I may have thrush - but I still can't really tell for sure. Pink-ish nipples that are itchy, but not unbearable for nursing in the pain arena, and no signs with DS... any thoughts?
I would get it checked or treat it like it was thrush!
That's how it started with me. Then i got strange shooting pains through my breast. I thought it was because i was going too long between nursing OR because i had mastitis (which i did).
But now i have thrush. And i know i have had it longer than i realized.
DS just broke out with a rash on his butt ( never got it in his mouth) on monday night. My OB called me in a Rx but there are other things you can do.
Hope you feel better.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amybw
We have made a few outings. Went to the library at 6 days old. Walmart : the grocery store. I had a family reunion labor day weekend. We have visited the inlaws a few times. Church on sundays. My OB check up. And today I had a dentist appt. So he has been more places than DS1 was at this age. He was a january baby so it was cold and snowy and i wanted to stay in!
Amy
Nate went to Walmart with me yesterday. I just get the best results from their photo department. I try not to buy anything else there, but their craft department adjoins the photo department, grrrr. But Nate slept in the sling while I edited 500+ photos for A.J.'s baby scrapbook (I'm waaay behind but determined to catch up somehow!!).
I know what you mean about the January babies. A.J. hardly went anywhere!

Old 09-14-2006, 04:42 PM

I wish I could figure out TIME to pump! I need to start building a supply up for returning to work in November. DD started sleeping through the night at 3 weeks so I would pump right before going to bed, but this baby nurses all the time, or so erratically I have no idea when to "schedule" it in. Also with my 2 year old increasing her nursing demands, I just can't seem to get it together. I make plenty of milk, so I really need to get this figured out.

And both of my babes were/are spitter-uppers. I constantly have a "burp diaper" draped over my shoulder that he manages to miss all too often. I nurse with a prefold folded in the other bra cup to catch the extra milk - wish I was coordinated enough to hold a cup under it... So I think part of it is the over active let down - they just drink so fast that their stomachs get full before they realize it so they spit up the extra. We had our two week check up and he had gone from a brith wt of 7.7 to 8.9 in two weeks. Obviously he isn't missing what he is spitting up. Wish I could ship you ladies with supply issues my extra! I hate the idea of it going to waste!
Old 09-14-2006, 10:58 PM

We're finally out of preemie clothes ok well not complety there are 2 preemie outfits they fit in but they are HUGE preemie outfits more like a smaller nb. Its so exciting to see the preemie outfits in the "too small" spot.

Dh gave Dominic a bottle of ebm last night and he said D was making all kinds of happy sounds and going "mmm mmm"

I finally figured out how the graco swing has 6 speeds I could never understand why what I thought was high wasn't the "fling your baby across the room" speed I've heard other people talk about. And, the babies sure do like it much more than the former high speed.

We've had quite a few outings, dh can't stand to be home, we go out a few times a week : I've yet to make one on my own and I don't see it happening anytime soon, especially since I won't drive the mini-van, never mind how hard it is to get everyone ready and out the door

Old 09-15-2006, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmom
I wish I could figure out TIME to pump! I need to start building a supply up for returning to work in November.
I like to pump first thing in the am, I get the most then. I latch ds2 on one breast and when I let down, I start pumping on the other side. (I go back to work in Oct, so I know what you mean about getting a stash together.)

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:00 PM

Steph thats how I pumped with dd, I got so much more milk that way.
I hear you on finding time to pump though : I really should be pumping more to try and get my supply up but I'm lucky to get once a day

Old 09-16-2006, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Steph thats how I pumped with dd, I got so much more milk that way.
I hear you on finding time to pump though : I really should be pumping more to try and get my supply up but I'm lucky to get once a day
I hate pumping and always have, so having to pump more than once a day is just torture - esp while trying to keep newborn and a 3yo happy. : I have no idea how you can even fit one pumping session in per day.

Old 09-16-2006, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peilover010202
I like to pump first thing in the am, I get the most then.
I always pump in the morning too, though I've never managed to do it while nursing. I always use one hand for the pump and one hand for me! If I pump again later it's usually in the middle of the afternoon (naptime). If I manage a third time it's around bedtime.
In the morning I make the boys their breakfasts, sit Nate in his bouncy seat in front of me in the kitchen and I sit on the kitchen stool. It only takes me about 5 minutes or less with an Avent Isis to get 4 ounces, so it's not too inconvenient.
Ryan calls the pump the "Muh Machine".

Old 09-17-2006, 12:10 AM

When I pumped while nursing I had an eletric pump so I only needed one hand. Now I don't have a boob or hand free to pump while nursing

I have to say that today is going very well. They haven't had one bottle and no tugging and screaming moments because the milk won't come
I think the oatmeal and mother's milk tea is starting to pay off

Old 09-17-2006, 03:48 PM

Um...when do they figure out a sleep cycle??? Cause I can't predict *anything*. Two nights ago, he was up about every hour and I was going insane. Last night, slept for a 6 hour stretch (and yes, I was about singing alleliuas over here...although I woke up twice expecting him to be up )

He sleeps some, wakes up and stays awake for a good while, and then sleeps for hours, only waking up to eat occasionally or when we change him. I know it's early...but when do they start to be more predictable? :

Mom to Liz (14) and Dillon (3) and Mitchell FINALLY born 7/11/10!
Old 09-17-2006, 04:48 PM

Gotta join the pumping discussion... I have a Pump in Style & can't figure out anything but holding the bottles as I pump, which makes pumping on one side while I nurse on the other impossible (kwim?).

Erin doesn't sleep much & wants to be held constantly, so I'm having a hard time finding time to pump too.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:51 PM

double post
Old 09-19-2006, 07:28 PM

I did it! I managed to pump on one side while nursing on the other. I have a PIS as well - I put dd in a football hold on the boppy on one side and was able to use the other hand to hold the pump in place on the other. DS was pretty secure and needed very little support from me to nurse, so it seemed to work out. I think the white noise of the pump put him to sleep as well!
Old 09-19-2006, 08:35 PM

I have to pump while I'm nursing. I don't let down well for the pump. I'm using an Ameda Purely Yours. I only get 4oz. a day. Sean won't take a bottle anyways, so my little niece gets my expressed milk. She is three weeks older than my babe and her mom had problems nursing and threw in the towel. I think some of our family thinks it is weird, but I am happy to give it to her and she is happy to take it.

~Robyn mama to
James, Sean, Christopher, and Michael~

Old 09-19-2006, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMidwife View Post
Gotta join the pumping discussion... I have a Pump in Style & can't figure out anything but holding the bottles as I pump, which makes pumping on one side while I nurse on the other impossible (kwim?).
Jen, I bought a snuggle fitting sports bra (the stretchy elastic like material, not cotton) and cut a small hole for the horn of my PIS (not too large, just big enough to fit the bottom of the horn through the hole, and the "cup" stays inside the sports bra). I nurse ds through one hole and insert the horn from my pump through the other - voila! hands-free pumping for $10!! And, this allows me to have one hand free. (I have found that I can talk on the phone, pump, and nurse ds all at one time! )

Old 09-19-2006, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peilover010202 View Post
Jen, I bought a snuggle fitting sports bra (the stretchy elastic like material, not cotton) and cut a small hole for the horn of my PIS (not too large, just big enough to fit the bottom of the horn through the hole, and the "cup" stays inside the sports bra). I nurse ds through one hole and insert the horn from my pump through the other - voila! hands-free pumping for $10!! And, this allows me to have one hand free. (I have found that I can talk on the phone, pump, and nurse ds all at one time! )
Steph - you are my hero! I would probably hurt myself if I tried to multitask this much right now!
Old 09-20-2006, 02:24 PM

Freakin' genious!!! I'm telling you... after learing SO MUCH from mothers, I can't believe a man EVER invented ANYTHING!!!

hmm, but where to put the breast pads....

Quote:
Originally Posted by peilover010202 View Post

User Tag List