Breastfeeding and TMI - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-01-2006, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, in the beginning, Elliot and I had a rough go of breastfeeding. He had a tongue tie that needed to be clipped so that he could latch on, blood blisters on nips, plugged ducts, thrush - you name it, it was a problem for us.

So anyway, the first few weeks, I just wasn't up to getting out and about much.

When I was feeling better and breastfeeding had finally become normal for us, my MIl said "Are your breasts feeling better? Chris (dh) told me you were havings a lot of problems." It was so nice to just a strange conversation to have with my MIL.

Then, at a huge family gathering, my MIL blurted out "Well, Stephanie is breastfeeding, but Chris (dh) will still get up with Elliot."

Anyway, but conversations just make me uncomfortable. I mean, I am really not too modest about NIP or talking about nursing my boys - but it feels weird for someone else to talk about my breasts. Anyone else feel the same?

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2006, 10:31 PM

Yeah, I don't even talk to the nurse-midwife at the OBGYN office. My homebirth midwife is about it...and strangers online here at MDC ...what's up with that.
My mother is the only person I won't breastfeed in front of. She asked a few too many times about whether I was STILL nursing Ryan when he was almost 3 (even though she agrees it's the best thing to do now that she "knows better"), plus I was formula fed, plus her adoptive father abused her. I'm just not comfortable with it around her of all people.
But I'd definitely feel weirded out about other people talking about my breasts without me really being part of the conversation!!

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 11-02-2006, 12:42 AM

I felt the same way when my MIL asked if I'd gotten any stretch marks. She just seems to think we're girlfriends, and we so aren't. She's always making comments about my body... sometimes complimentary, sometimes critical. She's commented on my feet, my figure, my hair, probably other stuff. She's really big on appearances, which I just don't get. I guess on my planet it's a very intimate thing to make such comments, and it's classier not to focus on a person's outside. But what do I know.

I don't think she said anything about my breasts while she was here, but she asked a lot of questions since she was a formula feeder. I did find myself feeling timid about saying how great breast feeding is, how healthy, etc. I bit my tongue when she told me dh ate formula fo 4.5 months, but puked most of it up and got switched to cow's milk. He's not the healthiest guy, and I think a lot about how much better off he'd be if she'd made different choices (many more choices than formula, which I'm pretty sure was a choice). She probably knows this already.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
But I'd definitely feel weirded out about other people talking about my breasts without me really being part of the conversation!!

Yes, that's what I was trying to say. I don't mind talking about bf'ing when someone asks me or has questions - but I really don't feel up to talking about breast health with everyone. Just because I'm bf'ing doesn't mean my breasts are up for discussion!

Old 11-02-2006, 09:59 PM

I can top all of these stories. My BIL's mother (and he's my BIL because he's married to my SIL, so none of these people are even remotely related to me), we had a party to welcome Eliana to the world, and someone mentioned that Eliana had gotten so big since the last time they'd seen her that she looked like she'd "tripled in size"...BIL's mother blurts out "Speaking of tripled in size! Your breasts are enormous!" and I blushed like crazy and just sort of said "Wow, I wasn't sure where you were going with that" Because the speaking of tripled in size thing had me thinking she was going to comment that I'm still a fatass even though I'm not pg anymore or something. Then she followed up with "You're going to need a forklift for those things if you keep that up!":

and apparently according to DH my breasts were the topic of conversation between her and my own mom later that afternoon. Geez people...could we maybe NOT talk about my boobs in mixed company??

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
Old 11-03-2006, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieV View Post
I can top all of these stories. My BIL's mother (and he's my BIL because he's married to my SIL, so none of these people are even remotely related to me), we had a party to welcome Eliana to the world, and someone mentioned that Eliana had gotten so big since the last time they'd seen her that she looked like she'd "tripled in size"...BIL's mother blurts out "Speaking of tripled in size! Your breasts are enormous!" and I blushed like crazy and just sort of said "Wow, I wasn't sure where you were going with that" Because the speaking of tripled in size thing had me thinking she was going to comment that I'm still a fatass even though I'm not pg anymore or something. Then she followed up with "You're going to need a forklift for those things if you keep that up!":

and apparently according to DH my breasts were the topic of conversation between her and my own mom later that afternoon. Geez people...could we maybe NOT talk about my boobs in mixed company??
I would have definitely blushed too! I always wonder if anyone notices the increased bust size, now I know!

Old 11-04-2006, 05:14 PM

Talking about breats or bf doesn't bother me, unless it is something like comments on breast size.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

Old 11-04-2006, 07:00 PM

Wow Steph, I didn't realize HOW rough it was for you. I hope things are good now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peilover010202 View Post
So, in the beginning, Elliot and I had a rough go of breastfeeding. He had a tongue tie that needed to be clipped so that he could latch on, blood blisters on nips, plugged ducts, thrush - you name it, it was a problem for us.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMidwife View Post
Wow Steph, I didn't realize HOW rough it was for you. I hope things are good now.
Oh, thank you. Everything is going great now! It's funny though, having been through it before, I thought nursing my 2nd would be a piece of cake. Goes to show we just can't predict those kinds of things!

User Tag List