vaxing (or not) your august babe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 62 Old 11-16-2006, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I remember our poll about what you intend to do about vaxing (or not) your agaust babe. What has everyone actually done? Have you changed your mind at all?

We're still undecided (dh won't get off his butt & do any research himself, but that's a different story) & have delayed.

I'm thinking that I might have her get HiB & Pneumococcal (sp?), but not the others for now. Ugh...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 62 Old 11-16-2006, 07:54 PM

We've pretty much decided not to. My dh has had bad reactions to about every vaccine he's ever had (they just kept pumping him full of shots despite this) and we suspect it's part of why his health is generally poor, so we don't want to chance it with ds.
#3 of 62 Old 11-16-2006, 08:03 PM

We're not do any vax.
#4 of 62 Old 11-16-2006, 08:54 PM

We haven't done any so far (Simon is 10 weeks). I'm still doing research, but at this point we're not planning to do any.
#5 of 62 Old 11-16-2006, 09:13 PM

we did the pertussis solo vaccine at 8 weeks (there has already been an outbreak of it here this year ) along with the Hib. the risk of pertussis was uncomfortably high where we live and after doing lots of research on the Hib vax we felt comfortable with it.

i am really torn on the prevnar vax. its not a problem where we live but are traveling alot over the holidays, which makes me wonder. but its only been on the market since 2000... that makes me nervous.

we will do polio later when we travel out of the country, but not before then. diptheria and tetanus will depend on where we travel exactly.
#6 of 62 Old 11-16-2006, 10:38 PM

We're delaying for now...(ie. procrastinating...), but are thinking we'll wait till at least a year and then reassess. Maybe selectively then, but I'm just not sure!
#7 of 62 Old 11-17-2006, 01:44 AM

We don't vaccinate. We thought about it a lot more with our first, but this time it's a total nonissue.
#8 of 62 Old 11-17-2006, 02:48 AM

We selectively/delay vax...Charlie had a round the other day and (this is a whole long rant) the nurse adminstering the vaccines gave her one that I didn't ok and wouldn't have ok'ed had she not dumped it down my poor baby's throat before I could fly across the room and stop her (dh was holding her). Ugh. I am furious and feel guilty and a whole lot of other things that I'm sure haven't surfaced yet.
#9 of 62 Old 11-17-2006, 03:31 AM

[QUOTE=blairinargentina;6556754]we did the pertussis solo vaccine at 8 weeks (there has already been an outbreak of it here this year ) QUOTE]

I was under the impression there is no such thing as a pertussis only vax???

We're delaying, selectively vaxing. We'll start at her 4 month appt I think. We're going to do HIB, probably DTaP, and possibly Prevnar (haven't decided). We'll do polio eventually but likely not hep b at all.

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
#10 of 62 Old 11-17-2006, 03:59 AM

no vaxes here. we didn't with dd and aren't planning on it with ds. ds has had some health issues and will need some surgeries at children's hospital but it hasn't come up yet
#11 of 62 Old 11-17-2006, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I researched all this when DD#1 was young and I still kept changing my mind and am now unsure what to do for DD#2. So far we haven't done anything. DD's father wants her to get everything on schedule, I am leaning towards selective/delayed. I think I will probably win as I am slightly more passionate about it

So, we are doing for sure Hib and DTaP. After that, I don't think anything. I don't do Hep B, prevnar, varicella, MMR . . . I hate these choices! I feel like it's a no-win situation, you're putting your child at risk no matter what. Sigh.
#12 of 62 Old 11-17-2006, 06:08 AM

We're not vaxing.
#13 of 62 Old 11-17-2006, 10:34 AM

We're delaying for a year, probably two. I still haven't decided what, if any, he will be getting.

~Robyn mama to
James, Sean, Christopher, and Michael~

#14 of 62 Old 11-17-2006, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesamin View Post
We selectively/delay vax...Charlie had a round the other day and (this is a whole long rant) the nurse adminstering the vaccines gave her one that I didn't ok and wouldn't have ok'ed had she not dumped it down my poor baby's throat before I could fly across the room and stop her (dh was holding her). Ugh. I am furious and feel guilty and a whole lot of other things that I'm sure haven't surfaced yet.
That's terrible, jesamin!

mom to sam arlo (5), olive loretta (3)....and twin girls Annie and Ramona Jean, born 3/10.

#15 of 62 Old 11-17-2006, 07:14 PM

At this point, we haven't vaxed. But, we're leaning toward HiB right now.

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#16 of 62 Old 11-17-2006, 09:54 PM

What a topic. I AGONIZED about it for WEEKS and in the end decided that with the exception of DTaP I would let the doctor pick ONE to give her and she very quickly answered that she wanted her to have Hib. So that is what she got and she had a big old swollen leg and screamed bloody murder ALL day and slept all the next day. Every time she woke up she would cry. And I cried and it was horrible. Can't wait till next month when she has to go back for the 2nd shot of it. The rest is going to have to wait till my nerves can take it. Not at all for HepB. Polio and Dtap when she is 2 or older.
#17 of 62 Old 11-18-2006, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMidwife View Post
We're still undecided (dh won't get off his butt & do any research himself, but that's a different story) & have delayed.
This would describe my husband too. He's too lazy to bother, so we go with my choice by default, which is doing nothing.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#18 of 62 Old 11-18-2006, 06:22 PM

We're still undecided leaning towards none at all. I did ask the doc if there was a chance for DD to get a single vaccine if there was one we would want her to have as opposed to giving her one shot with multiple vaccines at once but she said no, so I'm pretty much guessing DD won't be getting any at all.
#19 of 62 Old 11-18-2006, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerTwilight View Post
What a topic. I AGONIZED about it for WEEKS and in the end decided that with the exception of DTaP I would let the doctor pick ONE to give her and she very quickly answered that she wanted her to have Hib.
why does DTap bother you so much more than the others?
#20 of 62 Old 11-18-2006, 08:58 PM

We don't do any.

tara
#21 of 62 Old 11-19-2006, 04:55 AM

Our doc strongly suggested we do Hib, as well.
#22 of 62 Old 11-19-2006, 06:57 AM

Quote:
she had a big old swollen leg and screamed bloody murder ALL day and slept all the next day. Every time she woke up she would cry. And I cried and it was horrible.
Have you thought about reporting this reaction?

my ped is very AP friendly and agrees with whatever choice I make - I was planning on seriously delaying (until school age)- and then, being super selective. well, she is really stressing that I seriously consider the DTaP. She told me that we have the highest cases in the country right now but I am having trouble finding info to confirm that. The most recent info that I could locate was from the CDC in 2004 and I found some info from DHEC sent on in 2005 about infant deaths due to pertussis...2 babies died in our state. I'm still up in the air but my gut says NO and it hasnt been wrong so far... I have a feeling that she is only stressing it because the state sent out an advisory to all the peds in the state and told them to do so: still researching......
i feel so overwhelmed and underinformed!

Lee Ann ~ SAHM to Carolina(4)uc.jpg, Aurora (2)uc.jpg, and belly.gifwith #3 - due in December!
#23 of 62 Old 11-23-2006, 05:20 AM

We fully vaxed dd because I didn't know that we couldn't. Ds has not yet had a shot and I'm pretty sure he won't have any. The more I learn about them, the less likely I am to ever do it.

For finding stats about disease in your area, your health dept should have more current stats. I found ours on the web.

For those of you debating certain vaxes, my suggestion is to learn about the disease and how to treat it, then find out how many cases have been in your are. Then look up the vax info sheets (they're online) and look at the ingredients and possible reactions, also check VAERS for reported reactions, there is also the cdc pink book. I think that's what finally clinched it for me.

http://www.cdc.gov/nip/publications/pink/safety.pdf

Under decreases in disease risk they basically say that there are more adverse reactions to vaxes than cases of vaccine preventable diseases.

Sorry this got so long, but I just wanted to share what I've been going through the past 6mo or so. Feel free to ignore any of what I said if it doesn't fit with how you feel.
#24 of 62 Old 11-25-2006, 06:00 PM

#25 of 62 Old 11-25-2006, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenore80 View Post
Our current ped will NOT let you delay/skip/or be selective on vaxes. If you chose to do any of those, you have to find a new ped. This is actually posted in the waiting room! I wonder if delaying or skipping is becoming more popular?
Are you KIDDING ME???!?!?!!!!! That pisses me off! As if it's HIS kids??? What a pompous a** (sorry, I know he's your ped. but oh my gosh, does he think he's god?). ARGH.

As for why it's becoming more popular - in my mind because of the links to other things like rising rates of autism... I have a special needs kiddo (well, two) and wow, it can be tremendouly difficult. My two older boys have had reactions, but none more than my middle son - it was so bad it scared the heck out of me (he stopped babbling for 3m straight... SO scary) and he now has special needs - I'm making sure I'll never contribute to that chance again.

Gray will not have any shots until he's 12m at least... but quite possibly when I get to that point I may say none at all. My older two were vax'd on schedule except for Hep B.

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#26 of 62 Old 11-26-2006, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenore80 View Post
Our current ped will NOT let you delay/skip/or be selective on vaxes. If you chose to do any of those, you have to find a new ped. This is actually posted in the waiting room! I wonder if delaying or skipping is becoming more popular?

Wow, I have heard of docs who do this, in theory, but thought they were an urban legend! It's so bizarre to me that a doctor would basically say what he wants stands, and he won't deal with any parent who chooses to do anything that strays from that. Certainly choosing to fully vax your child is a fine decision if it's what YOU want to do and not just because it's what your doc wants you to do. It makes me so angry that docs (or nurses or PAs) use scare tactics to convince parents to vax.

I think as parents realize that they DO have a choice (like they don't have to listen to unbending docs or schools who say that your children have to be fully vaxed in order to attend) then they are becoming more informed and are making their own choices. Obviously as people realize they have a choice more will decide not to vax or selectively/delay vaxes.
#27 of 62 Old 11-28-2006, 10:34 AM

Well, isn't it true that ou have to be fully vaccinated by the start of kindergarten in order to attend? Since we are delaying vacs that annoys me cause some I would just skip but I don't think you can forever...am I wrong?
#28 of 62 Old 11-28-2006, 12:34 PM

#29 of 62 Old 11-28-2006, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Well, isn't it true that ou have to be fully vaccinated by the start of kindergarten in order to attend? Since we are delaying vacs that annoys me cause some I would just skip but I don't think you can forever...am I wrong?
I think it depends on your state. In Michigan you can get a waiver. The ladies in the vaccination forum will help you out.
#30 of 62 Old 11-29-2006, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Not here in WA, you just waive it - no biggie.

I got 'fired' from our previous ped's b/c my older boys don't have their hep. B - he can take a fjying leap with his ego as far as I'm concerned. If he can't get past his opinions he shouldn't work with families. My kids are my choice.

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page