Any babes with reflux? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 12-11-2006, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Are any other babes here dealing with reflux? How did the doctor diagnose it? What are you doing to treat it?

We are trying to determine if Eloise has reflux or not and it's just such a pain. She had a cough for over three weeks with no obvious cause and had been getting really, really fussy so her doctor thought it might be reflux. We decided to start her on medication to see if it would help. We're on day seven of the medication and it sort of seems to be working, but she's still coughing a little (but not nearly as crabby, yay!). The medicine is a horrific tasting mint syrup and no matter what I do, I can't get her to swallow her dose. I would say at least half of it comes back out her mouth and it's SOOO frustrating. We might try getting it in another flavor, as she will swallow tylenol just fine, just not this stuff. It is such a slooowww process. I just want my little peanut to be feeling better already!

I'm just totally new to this whole reflux thing, and Eloise doesn't seem to have a "classic" case of it (not slow to gain weight and she doesn't spit up, etc) so I'm still wondering if we're even doing the right thing for her :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 12-11-2006, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it Zantac?
#3 of 12 Old 12-11-2006, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, it is, should have put that in the OP. They are going to get us a new prescription in a different flavor now, hopefully that helps!
#4 of 12 Old 12-11-2006, 10:53 PM

We thought Colle had acid reflux (turned out to be bad colic, and she would spit up from the crying)...anyhoo, our ped said that we would start her on zantac, but the best is Prevacid. The problem ended up going away, so we didnt bother with the zantac. Maybe talk to your doctor about Prevacid?

Sorry mama. Its so scary when they have reflux, and its so hard on you. Take care.
#5 of 12 Old 12-11-2006, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion! I don't think we'll last very long on the Zantac, anyways, since she can't even keep it in her mouth :. I'm going to ask about switching her to something she will at least tolerate!
#6 of 12 Old 12-12-2006, 09:52 AM

Aria is also on xantac, hates it ( stuff is DISGUSTING, I tried it), and spits most of it out.
I had taken her off it for a while- I hate the idea of using it. But this week she has been waking from a deep sleep screaming and choking so I figure it is time to try again...I also feel like she wakes up gasping for air. I don't know if this is the reflux or something entirely different. We only just restarted the xantac yesterday so we will see in a few days.
#7 of 12 Old 12-12-2006, 01:25 PM

If you don't cosleep:

Put a wedge pregnancy pillow underneath their mattress.

Keep the kiddos up for 20-30 mins after a feeding before laying down.

(If I think of some more tips I'll post em)
#8 of 12 Old 12-12-2006, 09:04 PM

YES, reflux. Third time through this (sigh!).
Prevacid gave him a terrible headache so as soon as we put him back on Zantac, he was better.

We're trying to do just homeopathic treatment... but as long as I give him 1tsp. of Zantac per day he's okay... but no Zantac still doesn't fly. I'm sure trying!!

He sleeps in a baby hammock (Amby baby hammock) and it's proven to help with reflux... sure helps them sleep well. I gave up co-sleeping to help him sleep better, but I'm happy that he is more comfortable.

I could tell he had reflux, but they tested him via a barium swallow. He refluxed during that time 5x in 15 min.
~Julie

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#9 of 12 Old 12-12-2006, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Julie, How is your DS with taking the Zantac? Are you struggling to get it in him? Any tips?

I have a slight wedge under the sheet on our bed. Is this a problem if we cosleep? It seemed safe, but I've never used one before. Thanks for the tip about keeping her upright! Lots of times I will just let her stay laying down.
#10 of 12 Old 12-12-2006, 10:45 PM

Julie, did your kids spit up w/ the reflux?
#11 of 12 Old 12-13-2006, 02:59 AM

I just praise him each and every time he remotely tries to swallow and just be sure to sqeeze it gently in the corner of his cheek.

I'm sure your wedge is safe esp. if it's under the sheet... I just *really* have reflux issues with my kids and they won't lay flat or even angled very well... it makes it difficult too b/c of their gastro. stuff and their non-burping.

Jen, two of them have spit up and one was a silent refluxer. They all gain very well so I've had a difficult time getting them diagnosed, but I think after pushing more and more with baby #1 paid off and now I have the backing to show. Still, no one believes me for a while, but this last time we had a test to prove it. Gray spits up SO much less with one dose of Zantac... I'm hoping I can put it down to 1/2 soon... but if I don't give him any he pukes ALL stinking day long and a lot - makes me C.R.A.Z.Y. and I can tell it bothers him.

Too bad anyone deals with reflux, it stinks.

At one point we had a Rx. for healing his esophegous and man that helped... but now we're just stalled here... but maybe better soon??

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#12 of 12 Old 12-19-2006, 06:50 PM

Question for the reflux mamas:

when did it show up? Eliana has always been a spitter but only lately has she been spitting just a TON more.

she seems happy overall, but when we tried a crib transition, she wakes up 30 minutes after being laid down. She'll sleep 2-3 hours in her swing. But she also sleeps for 2-3 hours at a time at night in her bassinet/in bed with me.

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page