Almost time for solids! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 59 Old 12-26-2006, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll just go by ds2's readiness (nothing before 6 mos though.) With ds1, I tried at about 5-1/2 mos, but he didn't do well (up all night crying), so I didn't try again for another 2-ish weeks, still had problems. So, I think he was about 6-1/2 to 7 mos old before he consistently had solids 1x day ( we tried rice cereal first, then moved on to fruits).

This time, I'll start with veggies (avocado first). At least, that's my plan for now. but, we've got another 6 weeks or more.

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#32 of 59 Old 01-19-2007, 05:45 PM

At our 4 month checkup, my ped said we would discuss solids at the 6 month appointment, so we're cool.

Or, we were, until Cleo took it upon herself to designate her first taste of grownup food today. We were at a tea room with my mothers' group, and I had her in a pouch, and she reached out and grabbed a fistful of salad and salad dressing and stuck her closed fist in her mouth. She had dressing all around her mouth and chin and up to her wrist, and by the time I saw what she was doing, she had licked all the dressing off her fist! I was mortified and worried, but I was able to pry the solids out of her fist and clean off most of the goop, and she seems fine now and has had a big nursing meal.

So. My baby's first food was Mittie's Creamy Vinaigrette. I guess she's getting interested in food now. We just knew she was going to be a rebel. :
#33 of 59 Old 01-19-2007, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpiedee View Post
So. My baby's first food was Mittie's Creamy Vinaigrette. I guess she's getting interested in food now. We just knew she was going to be a rebel. :
: That's going to be a GREAT one for the baby book.

Today must be the day. Nate grabbed my cup of water and shoved it to his mouth, so I tipped it up to give him a taste. He was horrified. It was very cold water .
And later I was helping A.J. finish his lunch (rice & beans...he wants every last grain of rice and was having trouble, he's never been great with utensils). I had a banana in my other hand, and Nate took it and put in to his mouth and bit it gently (why can't he do it gently to ME!?) and sort of licked it. He did it a few times, but I don't think he really got any, just kinda tasted it.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#34 of 59 Old 01-19-2007, 11:10 PM

omg, you guys are too funny! it's amazing how forceful & how much damage these little babies can do, eh?! we USED to use placemats until erin pulled an entire meal onto her & my lap (not too hot thank goodness!).

Erin's dada is Australian, so her official first food was a lick of Vegemite (which I hate, but have never met an Aussie who doesn't like it). She's 5 months & has shown lots of signs of readiness, so a couple of weeks ago she tasted some mashed banana. Then mashed avacado, then pear. We just tried organic rice cereal mixed w/ breast milk.

So far, everything's gone really well... no upset tummy or rashes. She loves sitting in the high chair & playing w/ a spoon.

She's always grabbing for our cups, so she's had sips of water & LOVES it! We just got a sippy cup for her to play with & chewing on it is good fun for her

But we're still taking it slow.... no agenda & she's nursing great.
#35 of 59 Old 01-20-2007, 07:32 PM

What a difference a month makes. When I posted on 12-20 he was no where near ready, now he's started screeching at me when I eat in front of him. I tried stalling tactics like spoons and cups but he just got more mad at me. So last weekend I gave him a couple sips of my water and he thought it was pretty neat. Monday I gave him a few bites of avocado to eat off my fingers, he seemed to like it. He's had it everyday since, but all told probably less than a tablespoon for the week. Today he grabbed a green bean off my plate and gnawed on it till it got really limp. So I guess we've officially started solids. A little earlier than I was planning, but it seems right and I'm not over feeding or replacing nursing so we are just having fun and letting him explore.
#36 of 59 Old 01-20-2007, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

I had never heard that much about not starting with rice cereal, but having heard so much about it here--and then Dr. Sears mentioning it yesterday on Dr. Phil!-- made me through out the box of cereal we had set aside for Eloise.

It's amazing how much your parenting can change from one child to the next, even though my children are only two years apart!
#37 of 59 Old 01-21-2007, 12:59 AM

Kienan has been so ready for about a month, but I am holding out. 2 more weeks, I just have to get through the grabbing, yelling and basically telling me off until then

tara
#38 of 59 Old 01-21-2007, 01:00 AM

I know how you feel Tara. Liam has been grabbing everything. He even got his sister's apple in his mouth, but luckily didn't bite it or get any juice or anything.6 months minimum for us too.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#39 of 59 Old 01-21-2007, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpiedee View Post
My first son's first food was pizza. Yep - pizza. His sister was eating some on the floor - left her plate on the floor by him - I walked in the room and he's sitting there gnawing on a pizza crust!

Today Louis grabbed guacamole off his dad's plate. Dh caught his hand and wiped if off. He's not even five months yet, but it won't be long.
#40 of 59 Old 01-21-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taradt View Post
Kienan has been so ready for about a month, but I am holding out. 2 more weeks, I just have to get through the grabbing, yelling and basically telling me off until then

tara
That's how I'm feeling right now too. I want to wait until he's 6 mo 1 wk, since he was born at 37+ weeks.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#41 of 59 Old 01-21-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 in August View Post
A little earlier than I was planning, but it seems right and I'm not over feeding or replacing nursing so we are just having fun and letting him explore.
That's what sensitive parenting's all about, no?

I know the benefits of delaying solids, but for you folks who are dead-set on waiting another 2 weeks of whatever until baby's 6 months exactly even though baby's showing lots of signs of being ready, do you really think those 2 weeks are going to make that much difference?

Aren't "we" always coming down on mainstream parenting & medicine for not making allowances for the broad spectrum of normal child development?

I hope I don't sound critical... I'm just trying to understand...
#42 of 59 Old 01-21-2007, 06:14 PM

The only thing with introducing solids is the allergy factor - it makes a lot of people nervous - for good reason.
#43 of 59 Old 01-21-2007, 06:39 PM

I have had a child sensitive to foods (due to hospital formula at birth, she didn't do solids until much much later) and it really isn't any fun, if I can minimize that by waiting 2 weeks, for me it is a small price to pay.

I understand your point, but sometimes we, as parents, do have to go against what our children are ready for because we know what's best. For example if your child showed all signs of weaning at a year old would you just let them because you are following their lead, or would you keep on because it is what's best for them?

also not being critical just explaining my reasoning

tara
#44 of 59 Old 01-21-2007, 07:23 PM

Well said tara. Also, my baby also grabs my keys, but I'm not going to let him drive.

I've looked at all the research, and I think it is very, very important to wait at least six months- allergies, obesity, crohn's, lots of other problems are a huge risk when introducing solids before six months.

I don't think waiting two weeks is a big deal.

What if your kid wants something that you think is unhealthy? Pop at a year?

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#45 of 59 Old 01-21-2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMidwife View Post
I know the benefits of delaying solids, but for you folks who are dead-set on waiting another 2 weeks of whatever until baby's 6 months exactly even though baby's showing lots of signs of being ready, do you really think those 2 weeks are going to make that much difference?
Probably not But it sure can't hurt. Nate has infant eczema like Ryan did (you can probably see it around his mouth and on his hands in the pics I've posted, wherever he drools basically).

Ryan started solids at 4.5 months (at my friends' insistence, I caved), although he already had the eczema before starting solids, and I saw no difference after starting, and he has no allergies now that I know of.

A.J. started just shy of 6 months. But he wouldn't pick food up on his own for a long time, yet he really wanted the food, he just wanted to be hand-fed until close to a year or he'd stick his face into it (I think with him it was a sensory issue of getting his hands messy).

Besides, I'd like to practice what I preach. If I criticize a parent for feeding a 2 month old rice cereal and I say that the WHO guidelines recommend only breastmilk or formula for the first 6 months, why should they listen to me if I'm going to be a hypocrite and feed my own baby food before then.

#46 of 59 Old 01-22-2007, 03:19 PM

E still really isn't interested. he'll watch me eat, but has had no inclination to grab anything from me or fuss at me about it. So, we're still waiting for him. He won't be 6mo until the 4th so we definitely have some time, but even then, nursing is going so well, so I won't pressure him.

#47 of 59 Old 02-06-2007, 11:13 AM

We went out for sushi in Cambridge last night, and Nate has been getting reeeaaallly antsy at restaurants because he wants to participate. So I had an organic banana in my backpack and a little spoon, so I scraped tiny portions onto the spoon and he or my husband took turns with the spoon. He probably only ate a teaspoonful total, with milk in between and for dessert.
And this morning he was bouncing up and down leaping at me like a maniac when he saw my oatmeal with a spoon so I gave him some, but he didn't think very highly of it! I think he's going to appreciate breastmilk more now...he hasn't even tried to use me as a chewtoy today!

#48 of 59 Old 02-06-2007, 09:45 PM

hehe, glad you guys are having fun w/ Nate!

Erin's totally into table-time... yesterday she grabbed my spoon out of my coffee cup while I wasn't paying attention (was terrified that she dunked her hand in my hot coffee!). These kids are amazing
#49 of 59 Old 02-06-2007, 10:23 PM

We tried baby oatmeal at dinner tonight instead of my really grainy stuff. He liked it so much I had to make him more because he was pissed when it was gone!

None of my boys likes coffee so far (I'm the only one in the house who drinks any hot beverages). But whenever we're out for sushi I indulge in my only caffeine and have some green tea. A.J. always drinks half of it he loves it so much.

#50 of 59 Old 02-06-2007, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

My older DD LOVES coffee. Maybe because we live in Seattle? I only drink decaf so I will share whatever I'm drinking with her.

I tried to give Eloise a little avocado on my finger, like a tiny tiny bit, and she made a terrible face and pushed it right out! Obviously not ready!
#51 of 59 Old 02-07-2007, 04:41 AM

Lucas will be 6 months in a two weeks and I'm in no hurry to get him on solids. Breastfeeding is so easy. He does have a thing for glasses and reaches for my plate, but he wants to put everything in his mouth; the remote, my magazine, my ear, the cats, so I don't think he's necessarily wanting food.
#52 of 59 Old 02-07-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMidwife View Post
yesterday she grabbed my spoon out of my coffee cup while I wasn't paying attention (was terrified that she dunked her hand in my hot coffee!)
oh, i don't think she was interested in the coffee (i certainly haven't let her taste it)... it's that shiny spoon she always wants to get her mits on!
#53 of 59 Old 02-07-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamilkers View Post
My older DD LOVES coffee. Maybe because we live in Seattle? I only drink decaf so I will share whatever I'm drinking with her.
my DD is like this too. We get her a kids hot chocolate when ever we are out and she calls it her Latte. You sure get wierd looks when your young child is walking along saying "Mommy this latte is so good today"

tara
#54 of 59 Old 02-07-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taradt View Post
my DD is like this too. We get her a kids hot chocolate when ever we are out and she calls it her Latte. You sure get wierd looks when your young child is walking along saying "Mommy this latte is so good today"

tara
I could totally see ds1 saying that. He's loves hot chocolate too!

#55 of 59 Old 02-07-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamilkers View Post
I tried to give Eloise a little avocado on my finger, like a tiny tiny bit, and she made a terrible face and pushed it right out! Obviously not ready!
Nate just tried avocado this morning and loved it!

So far:
Yay: baby oatmeal, avocado
Nay: mama's oatmeal, pear
Eh: banana

#56 of 59 Old 02-07-2007, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
Nate just tried avocado this morning and loved it!

So far:
Yay: baby oatmeal, avocado
Nay: mama's oatmeal, pear
Eh: banana
That's funny that he is so picky about the oatmeal. Must be the texture?

I hope Eloise just had a "thing" about the avocado and is more interested when we officially introduce bananas to her in a couple of weeks. We'll see! She's also a little snarfully right now ad I wonder if she just didn't feel good enough to try something new.
#57 of 59 Old 02-07-2007, 11:54 PM

we have tried:

rice cereal and breast milk

bananas (jarred-we traveled this weekend)

I am in the process of reading Super Baby Foods, its : . Lots of information.
#58 of 59 Old 02-08-2007, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenore80 View Post

I am in the process of reading Super Baby Foods, its : . Lots of information.
I have that book too and really like it. It was my first jumping off point into researching going veggie. Just one thing to consider, her chapter on protein combining has now been found to be unneccessary. (Sorry I can't remember where I read that now, I just know I remember being relieved to not have to worry about it anymore). Have you seen her update page? http://www.superbabyfood.com/updates2.htm
#59 of 59 Old 02-09-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 in August View Post
I have that book too and really like it. It was my first jumping off point into researching going veggie. Just one thing to consider, her chapter on protein combining has now been found to be unneccessary. (Sorry I can't remember where I read that now, I just know I remember being relieved to not have to worry about it anymore). Have you seen her update page? http://www.superbabyfood.com/updates2.htm
No, thank you for the information!~

The book is OVERWHELMING!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page