4 mo. sleep patterns? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 01-17-2007, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerTwilight View Post
Being up every 15 minutes does NOT agree with me. I want to hurt someone, mostly myself.:

My husband has some choice words that I can't say here in his descriptions of my nighttime parenting personality And I usually don't remember it in the morning

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 46 Old 01-17-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairinargentina View Post
i read something in the sears book that made me wonder. it said, "most babies sleep well from 1-4 months, then the honeymoon in over". huh?
Dr. Sears says that because 4 months is when teething begins! I just read that exact quote on the website section for teething.
#33 of 46 Old 01-17-2007, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpiedee View Post
5+ wakings and munchings a night, and sometimes she'll just decide that 6am is a great time to talk, kick or try to rip her own ear off with her razor-sharp talons.

Then, during the day, she refuses to be out of arms for 3 minutes before the whining, grouching and "fake" crying starts up, where she makes the noises but not he faces, like she doesn't mean it, just knows i'll come to her. So I feel like an awful mom, and i'm already sleepy, and I can't get anything done.

Not my favorite phase. :
MY DD does the exact SAME THING. I'll put her on her play mat for a few minutes, and she'll start the whining, grouching, "fake" crying. Except when you go over to her she gives me this huge gummy grin. I know they say babies are not manipulative, but I am beginning to wonder....
#34 of 46 Old 01-18-2007, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenore80 View Post
MY DD does the exact SAME THING. I'll put her on her play mat for a few minutes, and she'll start the whining, grouching, "fake" crying. Except when you go over to her she gives me this huge gummy grin. I know they say babies are not manipulative, but I am beginning to wonder....
I dunno - doesn't sound manipulative to me. Sounds more like DD just wants you to be near her. Who can blame a girl for asking for what she wants? You're her whole world and then some.
#35 of 46 Old 01-18-2007, 11:47 AM

Aria is such a little complainer too. Doesn't cry unless it gets really bad. But will sit wherever I put her away from me and AHDAABRAMEEDEMODRADA. With such a little furrowed brow, I swear she knows exactly what she is saying. Sounds like a very legitimate foreign language. And it basically always means, how dare you put me down, come back here lady and pick me up...of course sometimes she does it when I am not fast enough to nurse her and then it means, get your booby over here lady or I am gonna REALLY freak out!
#36 of 46 Old 01-18-2007, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Area Babe View Post
I dunno - doesn't sound manipulative to me. Sounds more like DD just wants you to be near her. Who can blame a girl for asking for what she wants? You're her whole world and then some.
I agree. `

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#37 of 46 Old 01-18-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairinargentina View Post
has anyone noticed a change in sleep patters with their babes once they get about 4 months old? i have a friend whose baby has gone from sleeping all night back to the 1-3 hr stretches again. isa seems to be doing the same thing too (but we are soooooo hoping its just this sickness, and not a pattern).
Not in your DDC but saw this and had to respond. This is exactly what happened with our daughter. She was sleeping 10 hours a night at 3.5 months or so and then bam! started waking every 1.5 hours again at 4-4.5 months. It was a long road back to longer sleep stretches and she didn't sleep a 10 hour stretch again reliably until 11 months. I don't mean to depress you at all or suggest this is what will happen for you but I know one of the things that was soooo frustrating to me (besides not sleeping again) was that no one told me this is totally normal. Not all babes do it but many do so don't beat yourself wondering what you did wrong/or aren't doing right (like I did) if in fact this is what is going on with your babe. I hope it is just a blip, but if not, hang in there you will sleep again!

Liv, mama to three girls (September 2005, June 2007 and September 2010)
#38 of 46 Old 01-18-2007, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54mama View Post
Not all babes do it but many do so don't beat yourself wondering what you did wrong/or aren't doing right (like I did) if in fact this is what is going on with your babe. I hope it is just a blip, but if not, hang in there you will sleep again!
After reading all the comments on this thread we both feel better about how "normal" it is... despite the lack of sleep! It's the unpredictability that really throws me for a loop. We may have a week of relatively normal stretches and then the 45 minute thing comes back. :
#39 of 46 Old 01-18-2007, 03:57 PM

I think my ds sleeps much worse than any of yours. The only time he sleeps more than 20-30 minutes is in the car for extended car rides.

This morning, I got him to sleep pretty easily for his morning nap. Waited until he was really asleep, and laid him down. He woke up 2-3 minutes later. Tried to get him back to sleep, but he fought it. He has been cranky since that, but I just can't spend all day trying to get him to sleep. It's very frustrating.
#40 of 46 Old 01-18-2007, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post

My husband has some choice words that I can't say here in his descriptions of my nighttime parenting personality And I usually don't remember it in the morning
That was me for the first several weeks. Dh and I would actually argue about who slept less. : So, for now, we've agreed not to talk about how nighttime sleep went and our marriage is much happier for it.

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#41 of 46 Old 01-18-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Area Babe View Post
I was joking. Thats why I had the laughing smilie.
#42 of 46 Old 01-28-2007, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

ahhh, the sleep craziness continues! just when i think, oh we're in the clear, and we have a few weeks of "normal" sleep... it changes again! my oh-so-content-to-sleep-in-crib child has become an all night nurser... just like that.

isa has started this pattern of going to bed like normal at 8pm, waking up at 1:30am and then every hour after that til 7am. Usually the ONLY thing that will settle her is nursing... and man, are my nipples paying for that. uh.

so, we are trying to stick with the no cry baby solution plan but my resolve is so weak. i dont know who is crying more at 4am these days! i think me. i just can't get back to sleep in the time it takes her to nurse before she is awake again.

could it be her teeth? not convinced. developmental? possibly. her diaper? we are gonna try a sposie tonight (grrhhh).

come on now, let's all say together...this too shall pass... right?
#43 of 46 Old 01-28-2007, 07:59 PM

I don't know Blair. I just read that book yesterday and there were mama's who's babies were still sleeping like that at age 2. God. THAT made me want to cry! So much for this too shall pass! I want to start that plan but I am too tired to think about taking any action whatsoever besides sleeping when I can, kwim?
#44 of 46 Old 01-28-2007, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

dear god, please don't let me be this sleep deprived when she is two :

i mean, i don't know any 15 year olds who don't sleep through the night. so there must be an end in sight somewhere... sometime...

i would like to hear people's thoughts on the book. i am skeptical at the moment.

she suggests nursing you babe to sleep for naps (and continuing to do so when they wake up after only a few minutes). every since i tried this isa has started waking up demanding to nurse all night when we co-sleep. she NEVER did this before. coincidence? or have a created a (rather cute) monster?
#45 of 46 Old 01-28-2007, 08:23 PM

There is alot changing in them right now

My DD started really bad sleeping around 6 months (she was on and off before then). It was always something with her until close to 2 years. Around 18 months we started having some good nights, we read the no-cry book but were too tired to do anything in it. There were nights when we wondered if we would ever sleep again, then she slept through the night and we felt so much better You will get through the bad sleep, it might happen tommorow it might take some time but seriously it will pass. If it is your first nap with the baby (I remember living for those naps). Also DH would get up in the morning and let me get a bit more sleep

So far Kienan is a much better sleeper. One good night seems to undo most of the weeks tiredness.

It is so hard being so tired

tara
#46 of 46 Old 01-28-2007, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerTwilight View Post
I want to start that plan but I am too tired to think about taking any action whatsoever besides sleeping when I can, kwim?
so far my "taking action" works well, once. and then when she starts to wake up again and again i can't really muster the energy to keep getting up and rocking her and standing over the crib, etc.

its so much easier to just bring her in bed and put the ole boob in her mouth. which, i know, i know, might be fine for some folks. but i just have a hard time getting any rest with her in bed with me, much less all night nursing.

so, we are gonna TRY to stick with the plan. emphasis on the "try" part

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page