What's your "holy grail" of baby gear/shtuff? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 01-05-2007, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just have to know, because I found mine the other day, and i'm still jumping up and down inside. Mind you, 80% of our clothes and gear are hand-me-downs, with 18% gifts and 2% purchased by us, roughly. Of our 2%, I haven't paid full price for a single thing. We're not big consumers and don't do much shopping.

Until yesterday.

When I found these: http://www.meinmindfootwear.com/images/P5300047.jpg

Pink skull leather shoes! : At Hot Topic, no less. But i'm thrilled. I love these baby shoes so much, and they are great quality.

I can't wait till she's grown into the 6-12 month size I purchased, and I can doll her up in a pink onesie, her pink skull homemade legwarmers and these shoes. There will be pics. Oh, yes, there will be pics.

What's your holy grail baby item, your absolutely cutest outfit ever, or what baby-related purchase has excited you the most?
#2 of 24 Old 01-05-2007, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
very cool! I'll give this some thought . . .
#3 of 24 Old 01-06-2007, 12:29 AM

One of the coolest things we have is a t-shirt that says "Born at home" and was tie tyed by a friend. We also have a little, padded blue jean jacket with the Winnie the Pooh characters stitched on teh back. I found that at a thrift store and all four babies have worn it!
#4 of 24 Old 01-06-2007, 12:29 AM

mmm, definitely my diaper bag w/ beautiful Asian olive green fabric... not the most practical, but I love it!

http://www.blingybaby.com/images/DSC04139.JPG
#5 of 24 Old 01-06-2007, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMama View Post
We also have a little, padded blue jean jacket with the Winnie the Pooh characters stitched on teh back. I found that at a thrift store and all four babies have worn it!
I love finds like this that gets used & used & used...
#6 of 24 Old 01-06-2007, 10:56 AM

Definitely the best stuff I've found is used.
I bought EVERY item I could find before Ryan was born from Baby Gap's "Squeak Chirp" line. It was only a year or two out of date back then. My favourite item was the felt blanket wall hanging for his room.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#7 of 24 Old 01-06-2007, 12:23 PM

I'm not really a *stuff* sort of person, but I get a thrill over cloth diapers. Her babyology wool longies, a gift from a friend, get a lot of useage.

Most of Luna's clothes are hand me downs or thrift scores, but she has two long sleeved onesies that I love and will miss when she grows out of them. One is a dyed onesie with handpainted moon and swirls, a gift from a friend. The other is a grey onesie that Dada got her for Solstice with a batiked owl and moon on it. It matches the grey in her eyes, and of course I love her in anything with a moon, our little Luna.
#8 of 24 Old 01-06-2007, 04:11 PM

Their clothes normally don't give me too much thought - but the longies, soakers, cloth diapers and shirts that I do for him are my fav.

My favorite thing that I have/use for him is my Mei Tai... I'd be lost without it (even if I have to be walking for him to be in it).

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#9 of 24 Old 01-06-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpiedee View Post
Until yesterday.

When I found these: http://www.meinmindfootwear.com/images/P5300047.jpg

Pink skull leather shoes! : At Hot Topic, no less. But i'm thrilled. I love these baby shoes so much, and they are great quality
I LOVE THOSE SHOES! omg. I definately think those just kicked the Robeez Penguin shoes I've been coveting in the butt!

Do they stay on your babies feet?!
#10 of 24 Old 01-07-2007, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think my very favorite thing for DD#2 is the three thick fleece carter's blankets we have for her. Every single night and every nap time she gets bundled in one. She looks so cozy and cute. I know, this is a boring thing to be a holy grail item, but I really, really love them! I will be so sad when she has outgrown them
#11 of 24 Old 01-08-2007, 03:23 AM

When I was pg with dd I saw the cutest froggy outfit at the Carter's outlet store, but I didn't buy it. My dh said "But honey you are the momma, you're supposed to get baby stuff." I almost cried that I didn't get it since the store was over an hour away. I found the same outfit a few months later at another store and bought it. After I had dd my brother got her the same outfit and the matching bib, washcloth and towel. So now I have the outfit in 2 sizes. Ds just fits into the 3-6 mo size one now. I'm so happy!
#12 of 24 Old 01-08-2007, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenore80 View Post
I LOVE THOSE SHOES! omg. I definately think those just kicked the Robeez Penguin shoes I've been coveting in the butt!

Do they stay on your babies feet?!
Well, she's still in 3-6 month shoes, and I bought them in 6-12 so they would last longer, so I'm not sure about this exact brand and company, but we have similar shoes in her current size from Jack and Lily and Target, and they are amazing! Soft, cute, comfy, keep the socks on, encourage foot play. I never "got" baby shoes, but I "get" it now!
#13 of 24 Old 01-09-2007, 11:25 AM

I'm kind of a carrier addict. Those are my best baby items. I just got a moby d and an ergo for Christmas and I'm in love with them. Now if only I could convince the husband that a rocking baby sling is necessary too...
#14 of 24 Old 01-09-2007, 11:55 AM

Not in your DDC, but I was looking at new posts and I LOVE those shoes!!!! Were they expensive? I wish we had cool stores like that here!

Hmmmm... I am trying to think...

either my baby carriers or...

I loved Bryce's robeez booties when he fit them.. I want to get two pairs for the new babies.. but it's just too $$$
#15 of 24 Old 01-09-2007, 12:09 PM

I love our padraigs.

I am also a bit of a carrier addict.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#16 of 24 Old 01-09-2007, 01:18 PM

Before he was born, I found the cutest outfit at a consignment sale. It's velour, striped, with monkeys on the front. I love it. He's worn it every time it comes out of the dryer. Right now, it's starting to get a little snug (it's Gymboree 3-6 months, which runs a little big), and I'm so sad! I'll milk that sucker until spring, though. We're sure to get another few wearings out of it! LOL
#17 of 24 Old 01-09-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesamin View Post
I'm kind of a carrier addict. Those are my best baby items. I just got a moby d and an ergo for Christmas and I'm in love with them. Now if only I could convince the husband that a rocking baby sling is necessary too...
Oh you totally need one! They're awesome. I mean, come on, what other "accessory" are you going to get so much use out of?
#18 of 24 Old 01-09-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMama View Post
Oh you totally need one! They're awesome. I mean, come on, what other "accessory" are you going to get so much use out of?
Right??? I keep telling the husband we have two kids who are in slings so that means I need twice as many...makes sense, no??
#19 of 24 Old 01-15-2007, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesamin View Post
Right??? I keep telling the husband we have two kids who are in slings so that means I need twice as many...makes sense, no??
Definitely. My mom just doesn't get it. She wanted to buy me something around $100 and I found a great Didymos Jakob wrap but she wouldn't buy it for me because it 'wasn't personal' and she couldn't see me having 'another wrap that is fabric.' Silly Nana. Slings are like shoes. While you can get along with one pair, having lots of different styles and colors and fabrics is nice!

My Holy Grail item is my fleece Peanut Shell Pouch. Lucas has had more naps in here than I can count.Sadly he's too big for it now and while it CAN be used for the hip carry, I think the fleece is too stretchy for it.

The other thing is a blue sleeper from Old Navy which little green frogs on it. It was a hand me over and is not getting passed down except to our children. I received a lot of used clothes or gifts of clothes and while I was a little sad since I couldn't pick out things myself, I realized how fast they grow out of things at this stage, how often they need to be changed and how expensive the clothes were. So I started buying tons of stuff on eBay. However, I am addicted to Baby Gap socks and Zutano hats which you can't really find used so I buy those new.
#20 of 24 Old 01-15-2007, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Area Babe View Post
So I started buying tons of stuff on eBay. However, I am addicted to Baby Gap socks and Zutano hats which you can't really find used so I buy those new.
I bought TONS on eBay when I was still working before #1 was born. I bought everything he'd need (in mostly unisex) until at least age 2, some stuff up to size 4. I haven't needed much more yet!
And we're just starting to get holes in some of the Baby Gap socks that we've been using as hand-me-downs from when I was a nanny...so that's 3 kids to wear them, which for socks is pretty good! The new socks I had that someone gave me only made it through one kid before getting big holes.
I have a Zutano shirt that I just love. I find Zutano runs really small though. But I agree that Gymboree runs big, especially the newer stuff.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#21 of 24 Old 01-16-2007, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
I have a Zutano shirt that I just love. I find Zutano runs really small though. But I agree that Gymboree runs big, especially the newer stuff.
Really? I'm finding it the opposite - I thought he'd be solidly in the 6-12 size way before now. Guess it's just the size of the babes? Lucas is in the 97% percentile for length (27 3/4 inches) and I think 65% for weight (16lbs 3 ozs). I'm finding the 6-12 pants now fit though are long (great for gaps when being held/worn) though I'm rolling up sleeves in shirts or they're just too big all around.

I've been finding Carters and Osk Kosh to be the first to be outgrown in whatever size he's in.

I love that your Gap socks have lasted this long. They're really the best. And they can jazz up any outfit and satisfy by cute requirement. I pick up whatever I can find on sale and usually find something to wear them with.
#22 of 24 Old 01-16-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Area Babe View Post
I've been finding Carters and Osk Kosh to be the first to be outgrown in whatever size he's in.
Osh Kosh definitely runs small, ridiculously small, especially anything more than a few years old (I buy resale a lot). I remember them wearing 2T Osh Kosh overalls at 6-9 months. The shirts aren't quite as bad though.

#23 of 24 Old 01-31-2007, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs rockstar View Post

At LEAST twice as many. That was my excuse for the boys. Although, I do have 26ish carriers : I guess there is no excuse for that unless I had quints
#24 of 24 Old 01-31-2007, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
I bought TONS on eBay when I was still working before #1 was born. I bought everything he'd need (in mostly unisex) until at least age 2, some stuff up to size 4. I haven't needed much more yet!
And we're just starting to get holes in some of the Baby Gap socks that we've been using as hand-me-downs from when I was a nanny...so that's 3 kids to wear them, which for socks is pretty good! The new socks I had that someone gave me only made it through one kid before getting big holes.
i am officially an ebay baby clothes hound! and trading post and diaperswappers. the thought of buying something new seems outrageous now!

we loooooove our zutano stuff, but they fit pretty true to size for isa. she's a shorty though. i was told to buy up but now it'll be next december before any of her summer stuff will fit! oops!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page