Can we do a babycrafts show-off thread? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-20-2007, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know there are lots of babycrafts going on, from scrapbooking to knitting to sewing to photography! Please share!

In addition to my ongoing quest to sell one of a kind pouches and hats, I made my first MT tonight and am dying to show it off, and I want to see what everyone else is making, too!

My 1st MT: http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...s/1stmt2sm.jpg
My website for pouches for sale: www.pollywogpouch.com

So, whatch'all doin?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2007, 01:32 AM

Very cool. The MT is great! I am making my first MT tomorrow. I went and bought strap material today. I haven't done ANY scrapbooking since Louis was born.: I'm in the process of setting up my NEW, awesome crafting area though, so watch out!
Old 01-21-2007, 02:15 AM

Very nice

I just ordered Kienan's scrapbook and am looking forward to working on it once I get DD's up to date. I cleaned up my area last week, Kienan has begun napping alone and I am ready to ressume

tara
Old 01-21-2007, 12:52 PM

Magpie those look awesome! I want one of your pouches!!

As far as crafty things I have done nothing since Nate's birth. I am just starting a mini-album of our Paris trip last month, so I'll be more behind than ever with the boys' books.
I can only show off pages from Ryan's scrapbook, since I've only got a half dozen of AJ done, and Nate will be lucky to still be living at home by the time I get to his!

And as for sewing, knitting and the like...never in a million years. I am apparently severely handicapped in this department. I can't even sew on a button! Maybe when I become a grandmother some day I'll have to go take a sewing class . Unfortunately I skipped 8th grade when they offered home-ec.

Right now...I cook. I can show off cupcakes, quiches & sushi...all vegan though.

For all my complaining, I think this thread is a great idea!!! I can't wait to see what everyone else can do!

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 01-21-2007, 04:57 PM

Wow Magpie!! I've not done anything so ambitious. I made my friend's dd a doll for Christmas, but I forgot to take a pic of it. It was a basic baby in a bunting shape. I made it out of fleece and fiberfill left over from other projects. I think I'm going to make a wool one for Ian to snuggle and chew on. I've got leftover chunks of a sweater I felted last year for a purse I made. If I get it done I'll post a pic.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am soooo jealous of you crafty mamas! I don't have the space or the gear to do stuff like that. Some day, I hope!
Old 01-22-2007, 12:00 AM

wow, so cool!!!
Old 01-22-2007, 04:50 PM

Okay! The Mai Tei is done! Now I just have to get pictures of it. Dh liked it so much that I am making him a "Man Tei" out of Denver Broncos fabric!
Old 01-22-2007, 05:47 PM

Wow magpie! I'm so impressed! No babycrafting here...I'm lucky to get a journal entry in every few days (which don't make for good photos ), but I'll look forward to seeing other mama's efforts here!
Old 01-22-2007, 06:44 PM

Doing lots of knitting over here, mostly longies and hats but I just started my first sweater the other day. We'll see how that turns out!!
Old 01-22-2007, 07:03 PM

Wow, I'm just in awe!

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesamin View Post
Doing lots of knitting over here, mostly longies and hats but I just started my first sweater the other day. We'll see how that turns out!!
So adorable!!

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 01-22-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Wow!!! Those are amazing...

tara
Old 01-22-2007, 09:18 PM

those are great, Magpie, and I love your site!

I'm actually working on opening a store (bricks and mortar and online, too) that sells baby carriers...maybe I could sell some of yours?
Old 01-22-2007, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Too darn cute. My goal is to learn to knit this year - New Year's Resolution!
Old 01-23-2007, 01:01 AM

As I said, the only creative stuff I've done lately is cooking, like sushi for a playgroup potluck, and A.J.'s 3rd birthday cake.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:03 AM

I HAVE THAT SAME FISH TRAY! Have I told you you're my soul sister? Man that food looks yummy!

The "Man Tei" is done. Unfortunately, Louis was sound asleep when I finished it, so I haven't seen him in it yet. I want to wake him up, but I won't!
Old 01-23-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
As I said, the only creative stuff I've done lately is cooking, like sushi for a playgroup potluck, and A.J.'s 3rd birthday cake.
Wow, Krista, way to go! YUMMY!!!
Old 01-24-2007, 03:49 AM

Thanks guys...

And that food looks AMAZING!!!!
Old 01-24-2007, 04:13 AM

Krista,

That sushi looks great! What do you put in yours? I usually do cucumber, but I've done carrot and green onion (not together, lol). I'd love more ideas.

Jesamin, Your knitting is soo adorable!!!
Old 01-24-2007, 12:29 PM

Here's what I often use for sushi:

cucumber, carrot, scallion, lettuce, blanched spinach (oshitashe), avocado, kanpyo (pickled gourd), pickled burdock root, oshinko (pickled daikon--the bright yellow stuff), marinated shiitake mushrooms, radish sprouts, pickled grated radish, sliced mango, steamed asparagus, tofu (either cold, smoked, marinated, or fried--abure age cut into strips), miso, pickled plum, sliced cooked lotus root, bamboo shoots, red bell pepper, cabbage, shiso leaf, steamed mustard greens, steamed or fried sweet potato or pumpkin, steamed string beans, sesame seeds (brown or black toasted).
I make inari (fried tofu pockets stuffed with rice) with abure age. A lot of these ingredients come from asian markets in Cambridge, but many are available at whole foods.
To make the sashimi style sushi that looks like sliced salmon, I steam baby carrots and slice them thinly lengthwise, then layer them on top.
I also like making vegetarian tempura sushi (battered fried vegetables, like green beans, eggplant, squash, carrot)

The kids also LOVE onigiri sushi (rice balls, but we often do rice triangles, plain, seasoned, stuffed, rolled in sesame seeds, etc.). You can add just about anything to them. One of my favourites in Japan are onigiri with pink beans (cowpeas)--they taste quite sweet with the mirin added to the rice.

Old 01-25-2007, 04:15 AM

Wow, you are sooo much above my level of sushi making, lol. I haven't even heard of some of that stuff, then again, we don't have any asian markets around here either. I'll have to try to expand my sushi horizons. I'm really the only one who likes it (although, I'm hoping that with my new approach of trying to feed Ian food that I'm eating I'll at least have one other person who enjoys some of this kind of thing).
Old 01-25-2007, 11:15 AM

My creative levels cap at song writing ( and I have yet to finish a song for Aria) or house decorating, but I finished my whole house so I am doing nothing creative. Boo. My mom is a killer sewer/knitter/crochet, you name it and has always begged to teach us. I never had an interest til Aria and now I have no time to learn.
But the longies raises a question- what should be put under them for dipes and when used as a cover don't they smell like urine? I have a few fleece covers and though they work great I hate using them cause they smell within an hour.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 in August View Post
I haven't even heard of some of that stuff, then again, we don't have any asian markets around here either.
Try ordering from the Asian Food Grocer online!

Old 01-25-2007, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
If we ever do an August mama get together I think you should be in charge of food

Those look amazing, how do you find the patience?

tara
Old 01-25-2007, 04:02 PM

: I just looovvve pretty food. I've gotten pretty quick at rolling sushi over the years. The rice cooker makes the rice, and then if I have everything else ready to go, I can make a whole meal's worth for the family in about 1/2 an hour.

We should have party favors and prizes too...like little knitted booties or mittens or hats (made by you truly crafty mamas!).

And if we have it in the summer time, we can do baby finger and toe painting...cover the floor with rolls of white paper and let them toddle about in bare feet making cute little footprints.

I'm already thinking about Nate's first birthday...I think I'm going to make carrot cupcakes with creme "cheese" frosting. That'll be his first wheat product, and sugar high as well I suppose!

Old 01-31-2007, 01:47 AM

Okay, so I couldn't find the camera that has the pictures of my Mei-Tai that I made, and the pictures of dh's "Man-Tei" didn't turn out very well, but here a link.....

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...R1-024-10A.jpg
Old 01-31-2007, 04:06 PM

very cool !!!!!

tara
Old 01-31-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMama View Post
Okay, so I couldn't find the camera that has the pictures of my Mei-Tai that I made, and the pictures of dh's "Man-Tei" didn't turn out very well, but here a link.....

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...R1-024-10A.jpg
hehe, that fabric's a great way to get a guy in to it!!!
Old 01-31-2007, 05:29 PM

I love the man-tei! Baby looks happy!

And veganf, you may have just inspired me to try sushi-making! It looks so yummy!

User Tag List