breastfeeding @ 5 months - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 01-22-2007, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We haven't had the easiest time bfing... thrush, cracked & bleeding nips, tongue tie... I am a midwife & an outspoken breastfeeding supporters, but I'm telling you, if dh & my mom hadn't been pushing me along to keep bfing, I probably would have gone to formula. It just hurt SO MUCH for such a long time.

So it was really cool around the time Erin hit 5 months, it dawned on me that that girl has not had a drop of anything but MY MILK & I just felt so SO proud of that! :

This is in no way a criticism of anyone who has used formula, but breastfeeding is so much harder for some of us than we thought it would be (despite having a degree in midwifery!), we ought to feel damn proud! :
#2 of 30 Old 01-22-2007, 12:23 PM

yay, congrats Jen!

Sorry it has been hard for you, and good mama kudos for keeping it up!

I just love looking down at DS while he's breastfeeding, I feel so close to him then. I have taken a couple photos from that view since I feel like that's how I see him most of the time, and want to remember!

--k
#3 of 30 Old 01-22-2007, 12:27 PM

ah, the adventures in breastfeeding! i know how you feel/felt, it was a struggle for us too, but we are oh so proud to still be exclusively breastfeeding.

its interesting to see it develop... from those sleepy little newborn days where you have to wake them up to keep em nursing... to now, where sometimes i think i am nursing a monkey or an octopus or a hyena!
#4 of 30 Old 01-22-2007, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairinargentina View Post
...sometimes i think i am nursing a monkey or an octopus or a hyena!
don't you know it!!! still though, I don't think I've noticed her getting excited about bfing yet (it's more just arms & legs flailing as she explores my body, her body, etc).

Has anyone noticed your babe smile, squeal, kick legs w/ delights when they know the boob's coming?
#5 of 30 Old 01-22-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMidwife View Post
Has anyone noticed your babe smile, squeal, kick legs w/ delights when they know the boob's coming?
Mine "tells" me he's excited, kind of a "heh heh heh" and opening his mouth rooting, and yes kicking legs, although he kicks all the time, he just loves moving his legs.

So sorry it's been such a long haul for you!!! Good work!

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#6 of 30 Old 01-22-2007, 02:35 PM

Every time I take off my shirt- even if not to nurse and she isn't hungry- Aria will laugh and run in place in her dada's arms to try to get to me. SO cute! She knows which side her bread is buttered on!
#7 of 30 Old 01-22-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
don't you know it!!! still though, I don't think I've noticed her getting excited about bfing yet (it's more just arms & legs flailing as she explores my body, her body, etc).

Yesterday for the first time! I had gone to visit my brother for about 3.5 hours and E had a bottle of expressed milk while I was gone. I hadn't pumped during that time I I felt like I was going to explode Anyway, when I got back home, I said to E "I know you probably aren't hungry, but could you relieve some pressure for me?" And he let out the biggest screamy coo I've ever heard and he nursed SO WELL for me.

And Jen, I just wanted to say, congrats on making it this far. Sounds like we both had a similar rough start (complete with tongue tie). And let me just tell you, in all the time I nursed ds1, I never had all the hurdles that I did in the first month with ds2. Even I thought about formula. And, I agree it's so important to have that support.

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#8 of 30 Old 01-22-2007, 03:55 PM

Good for you for sticking it out! It is pretty amazing to look down at thie active, gorgeous, healthy, chubby boy and think - he grow ALL on my milk! Cool.
#9 of 30 Old 01-22-2007, 04:15 PM

We had a difficult start too with a poor latch, and a bad LC.

I just recovered from mastitis. After having that, I can see why some women give up. You feel horrible.
#10 of 30 Old 01-22-2007, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Oh yes.. Kienan does this old man type giggle when he sees the breast

Congrats on making it this far It is great when it finally gets easier and of course to see how great our bodies are

tara
#11 of 30 Old 01-23-2007, 12:58 AM

ok -- i will brag about how hard it's been for me.

i had breast surgery which involved severing all of my milk ducts from my nipples.

my great midwives said that i may want to have the breast feeding experience for a while by using a supplemental nursing system. that is a nalgene bottle you hang around your neck with a tiny stray attached that you tape to your nipple.

my dd has never taken a bottle without extreme distress.

she nurses, we nurse, with a nalgene bottle and ministraw.

it is miserable, difficult, etc. yet amaizng at the same time.

she is a boobie girl (with straw): : :
#12 of 30 Old 01-23-2007, 02:00 AM

You go Ursula Rose! You deserve some major kudos girlfriend.
#13 of 30 Old 01-23-2007, 03:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Isn't that aweome? I can't even believe how my babe is so big on my milk alone.

Major kudos to you mamas who are working so hard at it. I am a huge BFing supporter, but I must admit, it's been a very easy road for me. Who knows how I would feel if I faced some of the challenges you have! You're all doing such an awesome job
#14 of 30 Old 01-23-2007, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursula Rose View Post
she is a boobie girl (with straw): : :
you are amazing Mama....

tara
#15 of 30 Old 01-23-2007, 08:01 PM

Wow, you guys are awesome.

Sean gets so excited, he makes a weird, laughing sound and starts to snort when I unfasten my bra. Then, he grabs my boob with both hands and smooshes his face into it.

~Robyn mama to
James, Sean, Christopher, and Michael~

#16 of 30 Old 01-24-2007, 02:24 AM

Good for you Jen! and everybody else who's toughed it out through all the ups and downs of nursing our babies. We have a pretty easy time nursing, I just never have made enough for him. It is frustrating and I still agonize over every bottle of formula, but when my friend who ff both her kids keeps hinting that I should just get over my obsession with nursing and give him a bottle or she talks about how I just must be so tired of him hanging off me, I realize that I am proud that I've made it almost 6mo without giving up. I want to keep nursing him for as long as he wants to. I love the smiles I get when he's nursing and how he'll refuse his paci or his bottle when he's tired because he wants to nurse to sleep. That's when I know that it is worth it to keep going no matter how un-ideal it is.

eta-- I agree with the octopus thing. He's constantly pulling on my shirt or trying to pull my fingers off my breast which I have to hold onto cause he pops off to look around so much or he's grabbing handfuls of my boob, lol
#17 of 30 Old 01-24-2007, 11:34 AM

I've always had an easy time nursing, with the exception of a handful of plugged ducts and mastitis once. I consider myself very fortunate.
I am "lucky" enough to have boys who get teeth super early though, and Nate and AJ have been biters. I often have big teeth marks on me when they pull off and bite or start falling asleep and loosen up their latch and hold on with their teeth.
Nate's thing is trying to put a finger in his mouth to chew on WHILE he's nursing. This just doesn't work! :

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#18 of 30 Old 01-24-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
Nate's thing is trying to put a finger in his mouth to chew on WHILE he's nursing. This just doesn't work! :
E has started doing that! And, it doesn't work here either.

#19 of 30 Old 01-24-2007, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peilover010202 View Post
E has started doing that! And, it doesn't work here either.
DD is doing that too! I didn't know it was common.
#20 of 30 Old 01-24-2007, 08:16 PM

Aria too! Multitaskers
#21 of 30 Old 01-25-2007, 03:11 AM

Ian too!
#22 of 30 Old 01-25-2007, 02:21 PM

Kienan must have been reading over my shoulder because he started that last night too!!!

tara
#23 of 30 Old 01-25-2007, 02:56 PM

What a great thread for celebrating our ability to nourish our children! I remember very early on, my grandparents telling me again and again that formula was better and I was doing Cleo a disservice and she wasn't going to thrive, and even my supportive parents looking concerned that we weren't offering any formula and leaving the room every time I nursed.

Now they all agree that they have never seen such a happy, healthy, utterly thriving child, and it feels like such an accomplishment! When I see the little fat wrinkles on her wrists and think that she's had nothing but what I produce, it just amazes me. Three cheers for breastfeeding!!!
#24 of 30 Old 01-25-2007, 02:57 PM

I truly had no idea that was sooo common. My other boys never did it!

#25 of 30 Old 01-25-2007, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

I'm so glad this thread took off- I'm loving it!

It's actually really helpful to read that super committed bf-ers can have so much "trouble", even the 2nd+ time around.

UrsulaRose- WOW! Thanks so much for sharing with us... I had no idea. Way to go!!! Have you had good support from your DH & others?

Magpie, I can't believe you didn't have support from your family before- but so glad they turned around : Did you have support from your DH?
#26 of 30 Old 01-25-2007, 04:07 PM

magpiedee: I know what you mean, my mil was always wanting me to suppliment or give water ("She is THIRSTY!"), start food early but my little lady has the rolliest thighs and wrists that she can't deny she isn't starving to death from bf only. I love it!
#27 of 30 Old 01-26-2007, 12:34 PM

I had a difficult time starting with my first baby. Never supply issues, but I made tons of milk. The first couple of months, I went around with towel shoved in my shirt and didn't leave the house. I leaked constantly. I had yeasty cracking and painful nipples. I was so surprised! I don't think people really warn you how HARD it is! I kept thinking that I was such a committed bf'er, but someone who was on the fence would have given up long ago.

With ds, it has been easy, however. I was ready for more of the same (and dreading it as well), but he has really been easy. No nipple issues, etc. Although I think it probably helps that dd is still nursing too. I think that has made all the difference!

I love when he is nursing (especially when I have just gotten home from work) and he unlatches and just looks up at me and grins and laughs! As if to say "I am so glad you are home and you are mine!"
#28 of 30 Old 01-26-2007, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmom View Post
I love when he is nursing (especially when I have just gotten home from work) and he unlatches and just looks up at me and grins and laughs! As if to say "I am so glad you are home and you are mine!"
You're so darned lucky. After nursing 3 boys, and tandem nursing for 2 years, I've never once had them look at me or act like I'm anything more than a human milk vending machine, except they act like rotten teenagers with attitudes who forgot their change for the machine , they just demand it, and that's that. I think I got a "thank you, mama" once when Ryan was almost 3, but that's about it! They saves their smiles for solid food...at least I get lots of compliments there, which I guess is saying something for 3 & 4 year olds!

#29 of 30 Old 01-26-2007, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpiedee View Post
What a great thread for celebrating our ability to nourish our children! I remember very early on, my grandparents telling me again and again that formula was better and I was doing Cleo a disservice and she wasn't going to thrive, and even my supportive parents looking concerned that we weren't offering any formula and leaving the room every time I nursed.

Now they all agree that they have never seen such a happy, healthy, utterly thriving child, and it feels like such an accomplishment! When I see the little fat wrinkles on her wrists and think that she's had nothing but what I produce, it just amazes me. Three cheers for breastfeeding!!!
My MIL was the same way. Really shocked that I was going to bf and then DOUBLE shocked that I wanted to do it for....gasp....2 WHOLE YEARS! But, every time she saw ds1 (and now ds2) she realizes how much better it has been (vs dh when on formula) and tells me how glad she is that I bf.

#30 of 30 Old 01-26-2007, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peilover010202 View Post
My MIL was the same way. Really shocked that I was going to bf and then DOUBLE shocked that I wanted to do it for....gasp....2 WHOLE YEARS! But, every time she saw ds1 (and now ds2) she realizes how much better it has been (vs dh when on formula) and tells me how glad she is that I bf.
Aaaaawe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmom View Post
yes, Erin does this too- it's just the best! I also love it when she sighs or moans while she's nursing... as if she's unwinding from a stressful day or something

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
I've never once had them look at me or act like I'm anything more than a human milk vending machine
: That's hysterical! What a great description!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page