How much does gas still bother your babe? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-23-2007, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I have no frame of reference here to know how normal this is...and I've probably been reading too many books that tout how babies' systems mature around 12 weeks and how intestinal/gas issues shouldn't be such a big deal after that...
but for my little girl, it definitely is!
I haven't had dairy for months, or citrus, and while that improved things, she still suffers from body-stiffening screaming bouts of gas daily, despite my incredibly bland diet. (I did a big elimination diet months ago and it seemed the other likely culprits weren't a factor...so I'm still going on that assumption.)
It's really the only thing that bothers her! It keeps her from sleeping when she's tired and wakes her up from a dead sleep.
If I could just figure out how to eliminate it, she'd be happy all the time!!

How about you? I know some gas is normal...but does it still make your baby scream?
#2 of 7 Old 01-23-2007, 04:50 PM

Some days Kienan still gets really uncomfortable and squirmy/crying but not as much as when he was younger. Once he gets it out he calms right back down and goes to sleep

tara
#3 of 7 Old 01-23-2007, 08:05 PM

E really doesn't have a problem with this anymore. He has gas, don't get me wrong - you can hear him at the other end of the house But, he's able to pass gas on his own pretty well these days. I've stopped burping him for the most part too, unless I notice him taking some pretty big gulps from a really fast letdown.

I sure hope your babe starts feeling better! That part is really no fun.

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#4 of 7 Old 01-23-2007, 08:07 PM

Nate's whole digestion magically changed around 12 weeks. His messy diapers got suddenly less frequent and less liquid, and a lot less gas. And nope, not a thing in my diet changed. Except for a lack of burping during nighttime feedings which leads to a little gas in the morning, he doesn't have any problems with gas that I can tell.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#5 of 7 Old 01-23-2007, 11:33 PM

oh NewAtThis, I'm so sorry to hear that Stella's still finding it painful

Erin's never seemed to be bothered by gas, but it's weird, before the last couple of months, we never noticed her passing gas before. But in the last couple of months, I keep thinking she's dirtied her diaper & when I go to change it, no poopy!
#6 of 7 Old 01-24-2007, 12:59 AM

isa's tummyaches have improved, but it wasn't the magic 12 wk change that i was hoping for! she battled it for a solid 4 months. (i wonder if this is because she was born three weeks early?)now at 5 months she is doing better. she still has gas, but it comes by way of loud farts and burps but no toe curling screaming.

i have been able to reintroduce cheese (woohoo!) without incidence but have left out much of the other dairy that we know gave her fits before.

maybe you have already ruled this out, but is it possible that the pain crying could be teething? i know isa's pain crying from stomach to teeth presents very similarly.
#7 of 7 Old 01-24-2007, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

OK...so I'm not crazy! I thought her gassiness seemed excessive at the ripe old age of 5 1/2 months! I have considered teething, as she is gumming everything in sight, but the crying I'm speaking of is accompanied by loud tummy gurgles followed soon after by farts, or is accompanied by actual farts. Another weird thing, and maybe tmi, is her poop is sometimes foamy it has so much gas in it! (I know this b/c we're ec-ing so we see it all in real time.)
So...I'll mention it at our upcoming wbv, though I'm not sure what if anything a ped can do other than say your baby has a sensitive tummy and wait it out, but maybe she can offer me some kind of guidance.
Thanks for letting me know I'm not crazy! (at least not about this! )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page