longies question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-25-2007, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I cut and pasted this from my comments so more would see it...in particular the smelling question:

But the longies raises a question- what should be put under them for dipes and when used as a cover don't they smell like urine? I have a few fleece covers and though they work great I hate using them cause they smell within an hour.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2007, 04:43 PM

:
Old 01-25-2007, 04:56 PM

Hmmm, my longies don't smell. None of my wool ever gets the smell of urine. I remember when I used fleece it would sometimes take on that smell, but it might be something about the wool that prevents that? I dunno.

Under her longies, Luna usually wears a snappi'd prefold or some sort of fitted. Add in hemp doublers if going overnight. For her wool wraps with apliz or snaps, I just lay in a prefold with a fleece liner.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:21 PM

No urine smell here and we use longies or wool covers all the time over fitted diapers. I wash the longies every other week or so with a scented wool wash and when the scent starts to fade or the wool starts to feel damp after wearing, I wash/lanolize them again. I don't use the same pair two days in a row though, so they have a chance to air out between each wear.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

hmmm: another thought. What about onesies? Typically kids wear them under sweaters and for that matter almost every shirt I have ever found for Aria has been a onesie. But obviously you can't wear a onesie with longies (all these "ies" words, you know this is "kid lingo" ) as you would need to change the onesie every time she pees since they will get wet. Do you guys just do sweaters, no onesies with the longies?
Old 01-25-2007, 06:07 PM

When we're in the house, I'm lazy and leave the onesie unsnapped or snapped OVER the longies It's not the best look in the world, but it's cold here so onesies are kind of important in keeping that back strip of skin warm in our house. Out of the house we use fuzzi bunz and then I just snap the onesie over the diaper.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:50 PM

i've never used longies... one of my fears is that it would be such a pain to take pants off & on all day long since @ 5 months they still wet so much... thoughts?
Old 01-25-2007, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Longies still baffle the heck out of me! I have ever tried them, but I get confused when I think about how it works. Aren't they itchy? I mean, they are straight wool, right? I can't stand wool on my skin, it is so annoying!

Will be following this thread . . .
Old 01-26-2007, 03:03 AM

I actually prefer them to pants with snaps in the crotch. The snaps bug me, I'm always snapping them wrong With longies, I just pull them down around the baby's ankles, changer her quick and pull them back up. My toddler won't sit still for all those snaps either, longies make diaper changes easier for her.

Itch CAN be a factor but there are lots of different kinds of wool to choose from so you can usually find something nice and soft. My older girl refuses to wear peace fleece because she says it's scratchy but is fine with other types of wool.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:42 AM

Hmmm, it doesn't take me but a few seconds to take the longies on and off for diaper changes. We don't really use onesies much at all. when Luna wears longies she wears them with a shirt or dress. Our wool longies are not scratchy at all, I guess it depends on the type of wool they use. Some are softer than others.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Hmmm, didn't remember the itch factor. I hate straight wool on my skin. Hope Aria doesn't mind cause I order 4 friggen CUTE pairs yesterday. Will post pics when I get them.
I also find elastic waist pants easier than snaps. The snaps have about 8 of them and Aria doesn't have the patience. The elastic waist is zip zip. Off, on. Much quicker in my opinion.
Still in a quandry what she is going to wear WITH the longies on top. I have 2 shirts that aren't onesies and they don't match at all.:
Old 01-26-2007, 12:57 PM

You can buy plain white shirts and dye them different colors. That's what I did when Charlie was brand new, but now we're just all about the not matching or I make really neutral pairs of longies so they go with everything.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:59 PM

I love cute longies! As to your questions, first, the smell factor. Wool has natural antibacterial properties. Over time, they will start to smell, but not for a week or two, depending on how often you use them. That is a sign that it is time to wash them! They can also hold 30% their weight in moisture and wick it away from baby allowing their skin to breathe. They are great covers when baby has a rash and you want them to get air circulating (unlike PUL) Most longies are knit from minimally processed wool which has not had it's lanolin stripped from it. This makes them softer than a wool sweater that you may have that was knit from processed wool in a factory. There are also different kinds of wool that are much softer than others. Merino, blue faced leicester, targhee, are all very soft, very absorbent wools. Also, the more you wash wool in a lanolin rich wool soap, the softer it gets.

As for the onesie issue, we just very infrequently wear them. I have lots of short and long sleeved t's - some embroidered, painted or tyedyed. I have too many pairs of longies for my one babe - but it means I wash less and have the luxury of variety! The snaps in the crotch of things bug me. I also find that a lot of mainstream clothing doesn't fit well over a big diaper bum, so that is another great thing about longies. They can be pricey, but I have a lot of gn pairs that dd wore, that Booker is wearing now. And he is still in the newborn/small longies - pretty good for 5 months old and 15 pounds!
Old 01-26-2007, 04:20 PM

this thread has been so educational! I'm a bit scared of wool & addicted to snap-crotch things (Erin is super-long, so she's in big sizes anyway & the cloth bum fits okay). Thanks all!

Any recommendations on where to get good, reasonably priced longies? How much should I expect to pay?
Old 01-26-2007, 06:23 PM

So these items are completely new to me...since I have all boys...but if I ever have a girl--do they make them out of materials other than wool (remember, I am completely sewing-impaired, so I can't be making my own)??

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 01-26-2007, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

I think the point of longies are that they are wool so they don't require a diaper cover. And the fact that you have boys doesn't matter. They have boy and girl styles.
I looked on ebay at a place called kozydesign and they were $31 which I think is high but the only other place I saw them after 30 minutes of searching online (but I suck at searches) was llamajama and they were $40 so it was cheaper and cuter in my opinion. If others know if cheaper places I would love to know!
Old 01-26-2007, 09:45 PM

Your best bet for cheap longies is either here on the trading post or over at diaperswappers. Maybe ebay too, but I haven't checked there. Cozy designs is probably the cheapest place selling longies new. The wahm handknit ones tend to get pretty pricey. I mean, I don't think they're overcharging given the cost of the wool and the amount of time that goes into each pair but it's not cheap.

You can use fleece pants as a diaper cover as well. I had a super thick pair of fleece pants that rocked, I used them overnight as a cover.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:33 AM

I got the rainbow longies that are in the picture I posted in the 5 month thread from ebay. They were used, but in great shape and I think I paid $20 including shipping. There's also an ebay seller who sells Babyology longies, a cheaper, machine made longie but they work really well.

For WAHM-made ones, I love Amy's work (from Crankypants, on hyenacart I believe)
Old 01-27-2007, 12:27 PM

Oh I forgot about babyology! They do work really, REALLY well...I used to use them for overnight diapering.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:33 PM

Here's the people who made our longies, lots of great patterns and designs to choose from.
kozy.foryoubetter.com I'm going to custom order either the ones with the tree and mushrooms or the oak leaves and acorn.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:04 PM

so really... how much of a pita is lanolizing?
Old 01-28-2007, 11:31 PM

HI all! Just joining this thread -- I haven't been CDing out of sheer overwhelmedness, but I am starting back up tomorrow, at least part time!

We do love longies -- I should tell you all there is a way to make them yourself out of an wool sweater that you shrink down in the dryer -- that way you can make a million pairs out of cool sweaters from Salvation Army :-)

There might be an online tutorial somewhere?!?!?!? Basically the sleeves become the legs and the neckline becomes the waistline and you piece it all together...
Old 01-29-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMidwife View Post
so really... how much of a pita is lanolizing?
Not at all, really. All I do is put a smear of Lansinoh on my finger and run hot water in the sink. Once there's a bit of hot water in the botom of sink, I put my hand in there and swish it around. Once the lanolin has dissolved, I put cold water in the sink until it's about halfway full. Put wool covers or longies in sink (I usually do it inside out), squeeze a bit, then pull em out. Easy peasy. I roll covers in a towel to get out much of the water then lay them flat to dry.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:24 PM

Found the online tutorial for making your own longies out of a wool sweater -- I have several pairs of this kind of lngies and they are AWESOME.

http://www.bumwrapdiapers.com/pages/pattern.php
Old 01-30-2007, 12:06 AM

Wool is naturally antibacterial, so it shouldn't smell at all--it takes A LOT for it to get stinky. If it does, it probably needs to be washed and your diapers probably need to be stripped.

As for lanolizing, It's really not hard at all. However, I don't like the Lansinoh sink method--no matter how hot the water is, it always stays gloppy and I have had brand-new covers end up with greasy lanolin stains when I've tried it that way. I love, love, love the Sudz n'Dudz organic wool wash, which has lanolin built right in so you don't have to wash and then lanolize--it's one-step, and you can also add an essential oil for scent. I also love the wool wash bar for treating spots and stains without having to relanolize a whole cover. She also has spray lanolin and lanolin balms.

http://www.sudzndudz.com/
Old 01-30-2007, 02:12 AM

Spray Lanolin ROCKS! I like Naturally Luxe's personally. After you have washed your woolies, you just spray the lanolin on and work it into the fibers a bit with your hands. So easy, and no chance of getting lanolin staining.

The cheapest way to get really awesome longies is to knit them yourself. If you knit, that is. There are several really great patterns out there - the Picky pants from Little Turtle Knits, Perfection pants from Wooly Wonders, the Fern and Faery pattern is good too. You have to buy the pattern, but I believe there is on line help, too if you get stuck.

User Tag List