share your favorite EASY post-baby recipe! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 02-02-2007, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was thinking... surely we all have something cool we make that's quick and easy. For example, each week I made a batch of these... healthy... thingies... we call 'em Nudgies. They've got lots of good nursing stuff in them and satisfy my sweet tooth while providing oodles of fiber. Here's the recipe:

In one bowl, combine 3c whole oatmeal, 1c whole wheat flour, 1t baking powder, 1t baking soda, 1/3c whole flaxseeds, 2T pumpkin pie spice, 1T cinnamon. Stir together.

In another bowl, combine 1 big can 100% pumpkin, 1/3c healthy oil, 1/2c blackstrap molasses, 1/2c packed light brown sugar. Beat until well-mixed. Add in dry ingredients gradually. Stir in 1c walnuts or almonds, semi-sweet chocolate chips to taste. If you like, you could add dried fruit, but I hate it.

Spread in one 13x9 and one 9x9 or some combination of pans. Bake at 350 degree until a knife in the center comes out clean... or one nursing session. Eat a bunch of them hot, then cut and keep in the freezer.

You can make it so flexible-- instead of pumpkin, you can shred a whole zucchini or squash, squish in a banana, use apple sauce and shredding carrots, etc. You can add any kind of nut, chip or dried fruit.

Anyways, they keep me going, and I can mix a batch in about 6 minutes while carrying Cleo. Anybody else got a good recipe?
#2 of 26 Old 02-02-2007, 10:41 AM

That sounds yummy although I need a time frame- Aria is the world's fastest nurser, usually 3-5 min tops and I don't think that is enough time for them to cook.
My fast junk recipe is bark- no nutritional value .2 bags melted dark choc poured onto a cookie sheet with wax paper, fridge 15 min. 2 bags melted white choc (i melt all chips in microwave- 2 min for dark, 40 sec for white but you need to check ank stir the white every 15 sec or it will burn in places). Add 1 tsp mint extract to white choc. pour over dark choc. crush candy canes or starlight candies and throw on top while white choc is still warm. Stick outside or in fridge for 20 min to cool, break apart. yum.
#3 of 26 Old 02-02-2007, 02:11 PM

I love to make "no-bake cookies". they arent the healthiest in the world.

2 c sugar
1 stick butter
2 tbsp cocoa
1/2c milk
dash salt
1 tsp or so vanilla
1/2 c pb
3c oats

add first 5 ingredients into a pot on stove, bring to a boil and boil for 1min 15 sec. remove from burner and quickly add the remaining ingredients, stir together and spoon onto wax paper. they will harden.

YUM!

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#4 of 26 Old 02-02-2007, 02:59 PM

our post-baby easy favorite is Pumpkin Chocolate Muffins... ridiculously simple (although absolutely looooooaded with sugar. oh well):

1 box spice cake mix
1 can pumpkin
1 chocolate chips (or raisins or blueberries)

mix it, put it in the little cups, bake at 350 for 30-35.

hard to get much easier than that!
#5 of 26 Old 02-02-2007, 03:13 PM

Lentil Chard Soup:

6 cups broth
1 cup lentils
1 can diced tomatoes or 3 fresh diced tomatoes
*throw these in a pot together and cook until the lentils are soft (about 1 hour)

then add:
1 bunch roughly-chopped chard
1/2 cup or more crumbled feta cheese

This soup is SO easy and SO satisfying! It's great with some crusty rye bread and a salad.
ENJOY!

crochetsmilie.gif mama to DD 8/06, DS 9/09

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul jammin.gif
#6 of 26 Old 02-02-2007, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Two words for easy cooking: crock pot!

It seems like alot of you are vegetarian (or vegan!) so I'll spare you the beef stew recipe we make once a week, but seriously, crock pots are awesome. I am sure there are a million vegetarian recipes on the web. I also make a deeeeelicious chicken cacciatore in it!
#7 of 26 Old 02-02-2007, 04:03 PM

I couldn't function w/o my crock pot.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#8 of 26 Old 02-02-2007, 05:13 PM

Milkers: I want the cattatoire recipe!:
#9 of 26 Old 02-02-2007, 05:14 PM

Ok...not in your DDC but taking :

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#10 of 26 Old 02-02-2007, 05:42 PM

Okay, this was is easy but time-consuming>

Veggie pockets

saute your fave veggies in olive oil and add 1tsp rosemary (dried) and 1/2tsp thyme (dried)

In a bowl, add 8oz ricotta, 1 egg, 1 c mozzerella cheese, & a pinch of salt, mix together

Lay out 2 layers of Phyllo dough, spread a layer of the cheese mixture and top with veggies, fold over to create a pocket (as if making an envelope), flip over and put on a baking sheet (non-stick or spray with oil). bake for 30 minutes at 350.

These are so easy and reheat well (in the oven.)

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#11 of 26 Old 02-02-2007, 09:29 PM

Magpie - I'm psyched to try your recipe! I just got a stone "bar" pan from Pampered Chef and I've been looking for recipes.

Some of my old standby dinner recipes throughout the week are:
- ma po tofu (everyone's absolute favourite)
- chinese green veggies over rice (we've been doing asparagus lately)
- fajita wraps
- spaghetti w/ soy meatballs and kale sauce
- spinach pasta w/ lemon & pepper
- 6-layer bean dip w/ chips
- baked potato halves; steamed broccoli; spicy baked tofu.

My standard lunch recipes are:
- italian pasta salad
- vegetable bean soup; pbj sandwiches
- grilled "cheeze" sandwiches; chili
- frozen roasted vegetable pizza
- baked sweet potato halves; tofu hot dogs on whole wheat buns.
- hummus w/ crackers & veggies
- cold soba noodles; blanched sesame spinach; cold tofu

And a whole variety of pastas w/ different veggie toppings...
Not too interesting. If anyone wants a recipe I'd be happy to share.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#12 of 26 Old 02-02-2007, 11:14 PM

DH is in charge of breakfasts so he makes big batches of breakfast burritos or pancakes and I grab them on the go

Soups are our main food these days, I prepare in the morning when Kienan is happy in his chair or on my back and then late afternoon it all gets thrown in a pot

tara
#13 of 26 Old 02-03-2007, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taradt View Post
DH is in charge of breakfasts so he makes big batches of breakfast burritos or pancakes and I grab them on the go

Soups are our main food these days, I prepare in the morning when Kienan is happy in his chair or on my back and then late afternoon it all gets thrown in a pot

tara
:

Dh makes omelettes in the AM - and I throw anything I have around in a crock and slow cook soup most of the afternoon! Soup is so easy and filling...
i should probably take notes from you ladies before hubby gets burnt out on the liquid diet!

Lee Ann ~ SAHM to Carolina(4)uc.jpg, Aurora (2)uc.jpg, and belly.gifwith #3 - due in December!
#14 of 26 Old 02-03-2007, 10:28 AM

Soooooo jealous of you who have husbands/partners who cook....or even get up early enough in the a.m. for breakfast! I said to Ryan when I had a cold that I wanted to stay in bed all day and sleep ( yeah right, but I can dream), and he said "But you're our cook! Who will cook our food?" I said "Dada will". He laughed at me.

We eat a lot of soups here too. In the past few days we've had potato leek, spicy black bean, and the old vegetable or vegetable/bean standby. My husband never complains about soup luckily!

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#15 of 26 Old 02-03-2007, 10:48 AM

Peilover that sounds YUMMY!
I love this strand. I am in a cooking rut and need new ideas.
#16 of 26 Old 02-04-2007, 03:37 AM

Magpiedee--I'm def trying that recipe, it sounds so good.

I made super easy chili the other night.

Onions and celery (ok I didn't put in celery because I didn't have any, lol) cook in a little water or oil till soft.

Add 1lb hamburger or veggie meat crumbles. Cook till meat is done or crumbles are defrosted and warm.

Add 2 cans stewed tomatoes and one can Brooks chili beans.

Cook for awhile till it's hot. Add chili powder to taste. Can kind of break up the tomato chunks if you aren't into chunky bits. If it's a bit acidy add just a tiny bit of sugar. I also added a couple shakes of the smoked tabasco sauce for a little kick.

ETA -- Here's what I'm making right now.

Zatarran's Gumbo mix -- only $1.45 I add extra water and rice and make it a thicker, heartier mix instead of soupy. You can add chicken, sausage, or veggie meat.

To go with it I made a Jiffy corn bread mix -- only $.30 and you just add an egg and milk

It is very cold here today and snowy and we haven't been out for days so it's a good day for a hot, hearty meal.
#17 of 26 Old 02-04-2007, 10:47 PM

Mine is sending DH off to the Whole Foods deli.
#18 of 26 Old 02-04-2007, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Area Babe View Post
Mine is sending DH off to the Whole Foods deli.
I am so very very jealous. We don't have a Whole Foods close but I love their salads. We actually plan our trips around where there are Whole Foods We get it to go and eat in the hotel room so DD can run around and not have to sit after a long tiring touristy day...

Tonight we made yam quesidillas , They are going into our list of fast favorites

tara
#19 of 26 Old 02-05-2007, 03:04 AM

Quote:
We don't have a Whole Foods close but I love their salads. We actually plan our trips around where there are Whole Foods
I really got addicted to the deli during my maternity leave. Our company gave each of us $500 for the take out fodd the first month and we spent about half of it at Whole Foods! We really like their spicy chinese chicken salad.

We're considering moving up to Washington, likely Bellingham, and I'm so bummed that the closest Whole Foods is in the Seattle area. I am there at least twice a week. Thankfully Bellingham does have a co-op and are building a Trader Joes.

My easiest recipe: buy cut up vegetables from Trader Joes and cook in one pan. Have Whole Foods cut up your chicken and cook in the other pan. Mix with some kind of sauce (or not) and serve. If I'm really feeling fancy I might cook up some fettucini type pasta and toss it all together as well.
#20 of 26 Old 02-05-2007, 03:07 AM

Honey BBQ Salmon

Raw Wild Caught Salmon filleted
Cut up green peppers
Minced Onions
Oliver Oil
BBQ Sauce
2 tbsp honey
Saute... and serve

Be sure that the fish is cooked...

Mom to 7-year old DS1 carrot.gif, 2 year old DD joy.gifand DS2 surf.gif

#21 of 26 Old 02-05-2007, 08:59 AM

I keep a big salad in the fridge, so that's an easy grab'n'go type of thing. For dinners, I cook up penne pasta and toss in spinach at the last minute. Then I toss with some nice, strong garlic and oil. With a salad on the side it takes almost no time or effort.
#22 of 26 Old 02-06-2007, 02:48 AM

i've been eating lots of spinach post baby.

we also eat a lot of pesto made with winter greens, olive oil and anchovies. saute the greens and stick them in the blender with the oil and anchovies. its delicious and extra good for you too.
#23 of 26 Old 02-06-2007, 03:48 AM

Quote:

Tonight we made yam quesidillas , They are going into our list of fast favorites

tara
Do tell about those quesadillas, they sound really good!
#24 of 26 Old 02-06-2007, 10:01 AM

We eat a ton of spinach too. 1-2 40 oz. bags from BJ's each week.
We LOVE pesto as well. We just ran out of our frozen stash I made from the farm during the summer. I had three flavours frozen in ice cube tray portions: tahini basil, sundried tomato basil kale, & collards basil walnut (instead of the usual pine nuts). I normally serve it with chopped tomato over a whole grain flax pasta.

#25 of 26 Old 02-06-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 in August View Post
Do tell about those quesadillas, they sound really good!
Roast up 2 large yams cut into 1/2 inch pieces. Put then in a tortilla with pumpkin seeds, scallions, a small amount of jack cheese and some honey chipotle sauce (4TB tomato paste, 1TB chipotle, 1ts lime juice, 1TB honey, 2TB water) Makes 4 large 1/2 quesadillas and it is from a local cookbook called REBAR.

They are so good and filling and taste great the next day as a quick, what can I grab from the fridge because I am starving, snack

tara
#26 of 26 Old 02-06-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Roast up 2 large yams cut into 1/2 inch pieces. Put then in a tortilla with pumpkin seeds, scallions, a small amount of jack cheese and some honey chipotle sauce (4TB tomato paste, 1TB chipotle, 1ts lime juice, 1TB honey, 2TB water) Makes 4 large 1/2 quesadillas and it is from a local cookbook called REBAR.

They are so good and filling and taste great the next day as a quick, what can I grab from the fridge because I am starving, snack

tara
Oh those sound yummy!! I would be the only one who would eat them too...double bonus, Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page