decreasing milk supply? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-09-2007, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hey has anyone else noticed that their milk supply has dropped? i can't figure it out but it seems like there is definately less to go around! i can't get much with a pump anymore. and isa is waking up to nurse at night, which makes me wonder if she isnt getting enough during the day, despite the usual number of feedings.

is this a normal hormonal thing? i havent started birth control or changed my diet dramatically or anything. what gives?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 02-09-2007, 10:19 PM

This happened to me about 3 weeks ago. I think it's hormonal combined with a baby growth spurt. I was down to pumping only 9 oz. extra per day. But last week, despite the whole family having a cold, it's back up. Heck, yesterday with a sick kid and my husband gone for a week I pumped an extra 22.5 oz. of donor milk. And Nate is solidly in 12 month clothing suddenly.

Drink lots of liquids, get plenty of protein, iron, B vitamins, and enough calories and see if it doesn't improve within a week or two.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#3 of 11 Old 02-09-2007, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
Heck, yesterday with a sick kid and my husband gone for a week I pumped an extra 22.5 oz. of donor milk.
whoa! I am impressed, and a little jealous too!

thanks for the advice. i think isa hit her 6mo growth spurt a little early... she is looking longer and chubbier just this week!

i think it may also be a calorie thing too? i wake up every night absolutely starving. and end up eating cereal at 2am!
#4 of 11 Old 02-09-2007, 11:32 PM

We were sick and I noticed a decrease. 2 days of every hour nursing and we seem back on track

tara
#5 of 11 Old 02-10-2007, 01:38 AM

The amount I get pumping has been really erratic over the last couple of weeks. Sometimes I get 10 oz other times I can't even get 6 (this is while I'm @ school)

Quote:
...yesterday with a sick kid and my husband gone for a week I pumped an extra 22.5 oz. of donor milk.
In one day???? :

Way to go!!!

Btw, Krista, do you use an electril or manual, single or double pump?
#6 of 11 Old 02-10-2007, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMidwife View Post

Btw, Krista, do you use an electril or manual, single or double pump?
Single manual. Just an Avent Isis. I bought it when I was working part-time after Ryan was born.
It's sooo handy to be in the middle of pumping and have 2 kids suddenly need a diaper change and I can just throw it in the fridge and come back to it later. Otherwise I'm sure I couldn't manage.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#7 of 11 Old 02-10-2007, 04:37 PM

I've noticed that Ian is taking much more formula. My supply really dipped both times I've had a period. I notice it comes back up, but not as much as I think it should. I got some fenugreek, but since I can't swallow the capsules I've been trying to mix it into foods but it always has this aftertaste that I can't get past. I can do one capsule in one cup of chia tea, but I really don't think I should be drinking 9 cups of chai a day, lol.
#8 of 11 Old 02-10-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 in August View Post
I got some fenugreek, but since I can't swallow the capsules I've been trying to mix it into foods but it always has this aftertaste that I can't get past. I can do one capsule in one cup of chia tea, but I really don't think I should be drinking 9 cups of chai a day, lol.
Have you tried opening the capsules and mixing into yogurt, oatmeal or applesauce? The few times I've taken an antibiotic and didn't want the hassle of opening them and refilling a VegCap with the powder that's what I've done (for vegetarian reasons). Or maybe even open the capsule into a smoothie?

#9 of 11 Old 02-11-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Have you tried opening the capsules and mixing into yogurt, oatmeal or applesauce? The few times I've taken an antibiotic and didn't want the hassle of opening them and refilling a VegCap with the powder that's what I've done (for vegetarian reasons). Or maybe even open the capsule into a smoothie?
That's exactly what I did. If I put one capsule-ful of powder in a cup of my homemade chai mix I can get it down. But I don't think I should be drinking it nine times a day to try to get the minimum 3caps*3times a day. I tried it in my oatmeal the other day. I may have been a bit optimistic, lol. I put the powder from 3 capsules in and it was horrible. I choked down most of it because I didn't want to waste it. But the last few bites I just couldn't get down. I'll have to try in a smoothy, maybe the coldness will help.
#10 of 11 Old 02-11-2007, 10:11 PM

What I mean is literally taking a large soup spoon, putting a little X on it, pouring the capsule onto it, covering it with more X, and downing it in one gulp. I certainly wouldn't want to ruin a drink or a meal with something nasty every day!

#11 of 11 Old 02-12-2007, 05:04 PM

Quote:
What I mean is literally taking a large soup spoon, putting a little X on it, pouring the capsule onto it, covering it with more X, and downing it in one gulp. I certainly wouldn't want to ruin a drink or a meal with something nasty every day!

I wish I could. I have a really bad gag reflex and honestly a big mental block about anything mediciney. Even though I know it's not meds it's just the off
taste/smell/fact that it comes in a capsule aversion. If I tried to concentrate it in one bite, I'd either not be able to swallow it at all or gag on it. I was really hoping that since it wasn't really meds, my psych problem wouldn't affect me, but it still is.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page