How/where are you giving birth? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What kind of birth are you planning?
Unassisted 9 10.98%
Homebirth w/ midwife 34 41.46%
Birthing Center 6 7.32%
Hospital - no drugs 11 13.41%
Hospital - drugs 2 2.44%
Elective c-section 3 3.66%
VBAC @ home 4 4.88%
VBAC @ birthing center 0 0%
VBAC @ hospital 4 4.88%
I don't know yet. 8 9.76%
Other (please do tell!) 1 1.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 80 Old 01-02-2006, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you know yet, what kind of birth are you planning?

Feel free to elaborate if the options don't fit exactly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 80 Old 01-02-2006, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

I picked "I don't know yet," because I'm torn between unassited or homebirth w/ a midwife.

I had a midwife last time, but she missed it. DH and I loved that it was just us and we want that. We're sure we don't want a midwife at the birth, but I don't know if we should hire one for prenatal care and post-partum care yet.
#3 of 80 Old 01-02-2006, 06:55 PM

With DD we went to a birth center. It was a wonderful experience, but the only part I didn't love was getting in the car to come home 6 hours later (even though I only live about 5-10 minutes away). So I'm thinking a home birth this time, with the same midwife. I want to do a water birth again for sure.
#4 of 80 Old 01-02-2006, 08:31 PM

I'm planning to be at home with midwives who I know. I have birthed with them before but not at home although friends have and say they were very hands off and mostly did nothing but watch and wait, which is what I'm hoping for.
#5 of 80 Old 01-02-2006, 10:30 PM

I had a home waterbirth with a great midwife last time, but she no longer practices, so we're going unassisted.

I'm not sure how I'll feel as the day draws closer, but I may want a doula there to do counterpressure or whatever else I need. DH was really squeamish and needed coaching to keep helping me last time and I just didn't have the energy to keep asking him to push on my back for every contraction. I like the idea of having a woman who has experienced birth there to comfort me, but I definately want to be home and in the water again.
#6 of 80 Old 01-03-2006, 03:15 AM

We're going w/ a birth center and a doula for #2. We did a natural birth wing in a hospital w/ a doula for DD, but we've moved since then, and our options have changed dramatically. I'd rather have a homebirth w/ a midwife and doula, but AL is still in the stone age as far as having babies is concerned. They still actively prosecute midwives , and I don't think a doula would agree to be there w/o a midwife or some other attendant. So we get to drive two hours round trip for every checkup, and of course for the delivery. :

My first choice would actually be an unassisted homebirth, w/ a doula for moral support and running interference (DD's doula was great at running people out of the room), but DH says he doesn't feel confident enough, which hurts a little because it feels like he's saying he doesn't have enough confidence in me, but that's neither here nor there for this thread...
#7 of 80 Old 01-03-2006, 10:18 AM

We're planning another homebirth. I will need to find a new midwife b/c mine passed away two years ago. I know I should probably call, but this pregnancy just doesn't feel "real" to me yet. Last time I started out doing my prenatal care with a CNM at the OBs office and switched at 28 weeks to a homebirth midwife. This time I will only do homebirth mw.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#8 of 80 Old 01-03-2006, 11:16 AM

I wanted a homebirth in the worst way - but in Oct. I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes

So it looks like a hospital birth with mw's and a doula but I'm not sure yet. If that is the case I plan to wait until the absolute LAST second to get to the hospital. My hosp birth with dd was less than ideal : and I'm not looking forward to a repeat performance.
#9 of 80 Old 01-03-2006, 11:33 AM

I'm the oddball. I'm planning to give birth in birth center with a CNM. I am going to research homebirth through this pregnancy, but I really loved my last experience at the birth center and the midwives I saw were wonderful.
#10 of 80 Old 01-03-2006, 01:40 PM

I live out in the boondocks, so I couldn't find a free standing birth center. So, I'd like to give birth med free at the hospital, with a doula.
#11 of 80 Old 01-03-2006, 10:27 PM

I picked vbac at home. That is what I am planning for, but I am not sure if that will actually happen. I still need to find and interview a midwife. There aren't that many in this area, or if there are I don't know about them. None of the other mommies I know would even think about having a baby at home. All of the hospitals in this area do not allow vbacs : . So, it's either a c-section or a vbac at home. Here's hoping!

Sarah loving wife to Scot...joyous mama to...
Emilee and Elaina and our newest addition Elliot Bell 9/15/10
#12 of 80 Old 01-04-2006, 03:21 AM

Well, kalynnsmom, you and I are in the same boat. While I would love a homebirth, I also live in a rural area and am not comfortable with the distance to a hospital covered by our insurance if it something were to go wrong. Plus dh is not interested in homebirth. So it's going to be midwives @ hospital for me, drug-free.

Keeping busy with 2 boys & 1 girl ('04, '06, '08)
#13 of 80 Old 01-04-2006, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmama2
All of the hospitals in this area do not allow vbacs : . So, it's either a c-section or a vbac at home. Here's hoping!
How awful that someone would try to force you into a having a major procedure that you don't want and probably isn't necessary anyway. Much luck with finding a m/w, so you can deliver like you want.
#14 of 80 Old 01-04-2006, 12:42 PM

If I am pg, I'll be having my 2nd hospital VBAC.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#15 of 80 Old 01-04-2006, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmama2
All of the hospitals in this area do not allow vbacs : . So, it's either a c-section or a vbac at home. Here's hoping!
Can you travel to a hospital if you can't find a midwife? What about staying at home till it's time to push and then going if you need to? They can't refuse to treat you then. There are lots of options if you are finding it hard to find a mw or for some reason, you decide a hospital birth would be better for you and baby sometime during the pgcy. There is a VBAC board in case you haven't been there.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#16 of 80 Old 01-04-2006, 01:23 PM

Hannahmom

I was cruising reading this afternoon and found this which might interest you
www.aims.org.uk/Journal/Vol12No4/diabetes.htm

It is written by a woman who birthed at home without a continuous drip. This might not be for you but she has noted two references which discuss different ways to deal with diabetes during labour.

I can't access the articles through my uni portals but I imagine that the woman who wrote the article has hard/saved copies and her email is on the article if you wanted to find out more.
#17 of 80 Old 01-04-2006, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalynm
How awful that someone would try to force you into a having a major procedure that you don't want and probably isn't necessary anyway. Much luck with finding a m/w, so you can deliver like you want.
Thank you chalym! It is aweful to be forced into something you don't want. That is exactly what happened last time when I had the c-section. My ob refused to deliver me vaginally even though I was almost complete when they started to wheel me into the OR, and when they made the cut the first thing out of the ob's mouth was "Oh! Baby A is crowning". If I'd known I was that close to delivering while I was waiting for the spinal I would have just pushed. At the time I wasn't in a place mentally where I could stick up for myself and I didn't really have anyone there to do it for me.

#18 of 80 Old 01-04-2006, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepeach80
Can you travel to a hospital if you can't find a midwife? What about staying at home till it's time to push and then going if you need to? They can't refuse to treat you then. There are lots of options if you are finding it hard to find a mw or for some reason, you decide a hospital birth would be better for you and baby sometime during the pgcy. There is a VBAC board in case you haven't been there.

All of the hospitals that are within an hour of our home do not allow vbacs, it's because of the outrageous mal-practice insurance rates in this area (Nevada). I suppose I could drive te 3-4 hours to a hospital in Sacremento, but my insurance would definitely not cover it. I like the idea of waiting until it's time to push to go, but last time when I did have the c-section I was just about ready to push and I was still forced into a section.

I have the # to two mw in this area now, so I'm going to do some calling this week. Wish me luck!

#19 of 80 Old 01-05-2006, 12:28 AM

I really want to do a home waterbirth, but dh is still nervous about it...Any ideas on how I can assure him it's safe and a great experience??

Mama to DD 06' Partner to Sasa
#20 of 80 Old 01-05-2006, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2be
I really want to do a home waterbirth, but dh is still nervous about it...Any ideas on how I can assure him it's safe and a great experience??
The only thing that always works w/ dh is numbers. W/ dd I knew from the beginning that I wanted as natural a birth as possible. He wasn't real crazy about hospitals, but he wasn't immediately willing to commit to the natural thing because he didn't know anything about it. I had to do a bunch of research to convince him that natural is actually safer w/ a low risk pg.

It's harder w/ #2 though because I want to do a lotus birth, and it's not very well documented right now. There's a lot of personal accounts, but, unfortunately, dh doesn't put much stock in stuff like that. (Actually, I'd really love to have an unassited birth, but what doc is going to do a study on those when, by definition, they're uninvited? I'll probably be brewing #4 or 5 before I can win him over on that one. : )
#21 of 80 Old 01-05-2006, 10:57 AM

My dh was finally convinced about hb after watching Suzanne Arms' "Birthing the Future". She lists all of the most (over)used hopsital interventions and explains how so many are "required" yet unnecessary. After that, dh said "Wow-with #1 you had almost all of those and I had no idea they could actually hurt you and the baby".

Now it is a huge hb supporter and is looking forward to catching this one.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#22 of 80 Old 01-05-2006, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2be
What does he have apprehension about specifically? I'd try to educate him on the individual fears he has. "Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" was a huge help in my convincing my DH that we did not want to give birth in a hospital. I would research and tell him every time I found anything interesting. Not just home birth safety stats, but the dangers of interventions and being in the hospital as well. Good luck with your hubby.
#23 of 80 Old 01-05-2006, 10:27 PM

We're planning a homebirth with the same midwives who were at our first homebirth. It was a great experience and I can't imagine having a baby any other way.

Jessi
#24 of 80 Old 01-05-2006, 11:38 PM

We're planning another homebirth...DD was born in the hospital and we had DS at home; the difference was amazing, I will never birth in a hospital again given normal circumstances
#25 of 80 Old 01-06-2006, 01:58 AM

I voted unassisted homebirth.

My first was a homebirth with midwives, and as much as I love my midwives, they're too hands-on for me. I just want to be alone so I can listen to my body. We're still figuring out what to do about prenatal care.
#26 of 80 Old 01-06-2006, 02:42 AM

Me too Crystal - a homebirth-transfer for son #1, a homebirth with son #2 (but the midwife almost caused a should distocia by pulling on his head) and I'm gun-shy by that as well as in my heart of hearts I want to do it myself. I'm having an unassisted pregnancy too (I'm a student midwife and work with a midwife every week so if I have questions I can ask her) by doing what they would normally do. I'm going to buy a container of the pee sticks to check lukocytes, protien, etc. and take my bp, do my weight (if I feel like it) and measure fundal height. I might ask her for some help with listening via fetoscope for the heartbeat and I'd like her to check the location of the placenta since I won't get an u/s and it would set my mind at ease... and I'll keep track of all those things in a journal so I look responsible in case anyone asks.

When I close my eyes I imagine being alone entirely... so we'll see.

~Julie

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#27 of 80 Old 01-06-2006, 09:22 PM

Elective c-section most likely. Long story as to why, I did post it in birth and beyond before. If we move and there is a free standing birth center I might consider, otherwise not.
#28 of 80 Old 01-07-2006, 06:16 PM

Hey, I just found out I could join here as of this morning

Anyway, we're planning unassisted. Unassisted pregnancy also, unless of course something goes wrong and then I'd be open to a 2nd openion. I'm excited about all of this, yay for September babies!

Cara
#29 of 80 Old 01-07-2006, 08:17 PM

Hi ladies, I`m also most likely having a section too. Its also a long story and I don`t want to scare any new mamas, but I`ve written a lot about it here. I am open to vbac but only in a certain time frame and if I feel instinctive about it then.

Married Catholic mami : to 5 boys, : 9 6 3 : 5 mo. 5/6/02-6/22/02 (HIE)
:
#30 of 80 Old 01-09-2006, 07:28 PM

We are planning our first homebirth. For our older two kids DH was more comfortable with the hospital so we had a midwife deliver there (#2 was actually supposed to be a birth center but our midwife was already at the hospital with another mom and we would have had to have an alternative one we had never met). Here our closest option for a midwife hospital birth is 45+ minutes away and I didn't get as good of vibe off those midwives as I did off the home birth ones.

Deb

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page