Is anyone having twins? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-12-2006, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are/were your symptoms? How big are you?

I am HUGE! I look like I usually do at 4-5 months...NO KIDDING!
My family doctor actually pointed out to me that I look pregnant already. And asked if twins run in our family!
I am going for my ultrasound next Saturday...

Mama of 2 boys, 5 girls.grouphug.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2006, 02:49 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I don't think I am, but going by your "symptoms" you'd think I was. Even Susan, my professor who was a midwife for 35 years and has delivered over a thousand babies asked me if I know if I'm having twins. Of course, with each subsequent pregnancy it's normal to show a little earlier. You have 5 right, this is my second. I guess we'll just have to wait an see sister!

Peaceful mama to three blissfully-birthed and incredible small people: dd10, dd7 and ds5. Always awed and so thankful to be a midwife.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:20 AM

I sure hope not! :
Old 02-12-2006, 04:50 PM

I'm in the 'hope not' camp. They run in my family. Not going to know for sure til birth, so we'll see!

Cara
Old 02-12-2006, 06:49 PM

I'm a fraternal twin so they run in my family too but I think there is only one... even though I would LOVE twins (prayed for them this time as well). I keep wishing, but I think I'm going to have just one every time... oh well, being a twin is really cool too!
~Julie

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

Old 02-12-2006, 08:33 PM

I am also hoping not. I don't think I could survive nursing another set of twins! On the other hand, twins are "normal" for me now, and it will be a little bit bittersweet to have a singleton.

But for those of you suspicious or hoping, twins don't have to run in your family. The likelihood of twins increases with maternal age, up to about age 40.

The likelihood of twins is about 1 in 40 (spontaneous, not ART) for women between 35 to 39. I had no idea this was one of the "risks" of advanced maternal age when I became pregnant at age 37.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

skye's mama: did you look a lot bigger initially?

I was talking to one of the other dancing moms (who has twins) who said that that's how she knew...she was about twice as big as she was the first time.

I *think* I'm only 8 or 9 weeks...and anyone at a glance can tell that I'm pregnant (complete strangers are confidant enough to ask me when I'm due)
I'm wearing maternity clothes.
(I am normally 110-115 lbs...tiny...like a size 0 to a size 2...and I am currently sitting at 127lbs...and the only noticeable gain is belly)
Oh! And I can feel the top of my uterus well above my pubic bone. (which, if memory serves, you aren't supposed to feel until 3 months)

Old 02-13-2006, 01:09 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
All this talk is getting scary... I have the exact same symptoms as you, BCMama!

Peaceful mama to three blissfully-birthed and incredible small people: dd10, dd7 and ds5. Always awed and so thankful to be a midwife.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:37 AM

This is weird....I was praying and asking the Lord to give me a dream to tell me if I was pregnant or not because I didn't want to wait for my period...then I said "oh, that is silly, nevermind". Well, that night my husband dreamed I was pregnant with a girl! The next week I found out I was pregnant! I had a dream that I was pregnant with twins a few weeks ago, I have been throwing up and I didn't with my first..who knows..I'll have to wait and see!

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

Old 02-13-2006, 02:08 PM

No, that only happens to others!

I saw just one baby at 8 weeks, but I was told sometimes the second hides behind the first....
Old 02-13-2006, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCmamaof5
skye's mama: did you look a lot bigger initially?
I felt like I was getting big early on, and my husband and I began to refer to my belly as "they" and "the twins". I was doing it at least half-jokingly because even though I felt big, I just never ever thought about having twins or even wanted twins in the least. Honestly, I thought they seemed kind of freakish. Not in a bad way, just in that I couldn't comprehend life as a twin.

I saw my midwife for the first time at 18 weeks. She didn't think I was measuring big. She did listen for two heartbeats but didn't find anything convincing. She herself has twins, and has been a midwife for over 20 years. After that we gave up the "twins/they" belly reference.

We took a birthing class near the beginning of the last trimester. The instructor had twins. We told everyone in the class about our early "twin" phase. There was another couple who actually knew they having twins. No one thought we had twins.

We visited our backup OB for the first time at 34 weeks. The day before our midwife recommended we ask him to do an u/s as a sanity-check since the baby just was not in a position she would expect for that stage in the pregnancy. (He and our midwife knew each other well, and he was fine being our backup in the case of a hospital transfer.) He didn't think we were having twins and was very surprised to find two in there. Oh, and he specializes in fertility treatment and has a significant number of clients with multiples as a result of that!

So, I thought I was big, but few other people did. I got maybe three comments in all about being a little big. And then after the fact a few people said they thought I was kind of big, but retrospect is 20/20, right?

However, it was my first pregnancy, I am kind of tall, had pretty good muscle tone from lots of biking and swimming (those were the days :-), and probably did not eat enough since my 38 week babies were only 5lb.15oz. and 6lb.5oz.

In retrospect, other than size, the big early clue for me maybe should have been that the first trimester knocked me off my feet. I was awake maybe 6-8 hours a day, probably less than that some days. And I couldn't understand how pregnant women accomplished anything other than eating and sleeping.

Well, I am sure the suspense must be huge. I only had to wait one day to find out. Are you really going to believe the u/s results? If they only find one, are you going to still wonder if there is another hiding out somewhere (as huggerwocky mentioned)?

I know there are lots of reasons to try to find out early if you have strong suspicions. But I also can recommend a wait and see approach if you are healthy and listen to what your body needs. I had a wonderful 34 weeks of no stress. Once I got that ultrasound things changed quickly.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:04 PM

On one hand I am saying "good gosh I hope not!" on another I think it would be wonderful!

I think the only things that REALLY stand out for me is I was EXHAUSTED in the early days...I am still tired...a lot....but, at least I can make it through the day without a nap That was the reason I took the test in the first place...

and my all day all night sickness kicked in at like 5 weeks rather than 8 weeks. I also got a prescription for anti nausea medicine (because my other pregnancies were so bad) and I cant even keep that down now. : and I am fat...I have a pooch. Its NOT cool! I am not ready to go to maternity stuff!

I will find out in like 9 days...when I have an U/S
Old 02-13-2006, 10:14 PM

Just ran across this in "New Posts" and decided to crash your thread since I had my twins in Sept ('05) too. I was definitely bigger than with my singleton and showed earlier, but was still just on the big end of normal until the end when I was suddenly huge! My m/s was only slightly worse than with my singleton. I think it's often not obvious. We had fertility issues and used meds to conceive so we found out early on.

Good luck mamas!! Twins are a wild ride!

Trying to get my bearings...
Old 02-13-2006, 10:59 PM

I'm pretty certain we're not, but I get asked by everyone I know if we think we're going to have twins. I guess people assume that since I carried twins twice as a surrogate (both IVF pregnancies) that I will automatically have twins myself. I certainly hope it doesn't work that way, we don't even have a room for one baby let alone two LOL. Plus, I don't think I could go through another twin pregnancy. Two in a row were hard enough on my body. And I don't know how I would handle breastfeeding. I nursed the second set of twins for two weeks and I thought I was going to go out of my mind having a baby attached to a boob constantly for 8 hours a day (that was how long I was at their house to nurse, then I would go home and pump the rest of the time). Maybe I would feel differently if they were actually my babies though.

Sarah loving wife to Scot...joyous mama to...
Emilee and Elaina and our newest addition Elliot Bell 9/15/10
Old 02-14-2006, 11:39 PM

My second "baby" was twins and I was huge. It was unreal. I measured 59 cm on the day that I had the two monsters. I looked about 7 months pregnant when I was about 3 to 4 months. We found out that I was caryying twins in my 20th week. And with this pregnancy I was carrying twins but the one egg never developed pass 4 weeks. But yes, when I was carrying the twins I was beyond huge. Hang in there and Keep me updated. Twins are alot of work but double the rewards.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:47 PM

I think twins would put me six feet under at this point. I feel so stretched as it is, I'm not sure how I'm going to handle a 5th, nevermind #5 and #6--YIKES!

Fortunately, I've only been having dreams with a little, dark-haired boy :-), but I am feeling bigger than usual at this point (5 weeks). Sooo...guess we'll wait and see, but I gotta tell you, ignorance is bliss right now!

p.s. I've always wanted twins, but not so sure I could handle it right now!
Old 02-15-2006, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

I saw a doula/prenatal instructor friend today. (She has done lots of births & has taken midwifery courses)
When she saw me she immediately put her hand on my belly & said "oh...you're having twins!" Funny you should say that...
so she insisted on feeling my belly & measuring me. She said my fundus is way above my pubic bone (yeah...I know) And I'm measuring at 10 weeks! By my dates I think I'm probably 7.5 weeks. I lost the baby 9 weeks ago...so even if I conceived 2 weeks later I could only be 9 weeks at most. I usually measure several weeks under. Even at the beginning. (At my baby's births I usually only measure 34 weeks.)

So...let me just say that it's driving me nutty having to wait until Saturday...

Old 02-15-2006, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCmamaof5
I saw a doula/prenatal instructor friend today. (She has done lots of births & has taken midwifery courses)
When she saw me she immediately put her hand on my belly & said "oh...you're having twins!" Funny you should say that...
so she insisted on feeling my belly & measuring me. She said my fundus is way above my pubic bone (yeah...I know) And I'm measuring at 10 weeks! By my dates I think I'm probably 7.5 weeks. I lost the baby 9 weeks ago...so even if I conceived 2 weeks later I could only be 9 weeks at most. I usually measure several weeks under. Even at the beginning. (At my baby's births I usually only measure 34 weeks.)

So...let me just say that it's driving me nutty having to wait until Saturday...
Wow, how exciting!! I have always dreamed of twins too but it's just that...one of those hazy, romantic notion type dreams. In real life I don't think it would be that pretty for us. I'm nervous enough with the thought of a two year old and a newborn!
Old 02-21-2006, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Well...we're not. Well, probably not anyway. I had the U/S done on Saturday & although it took less than 5 minutes (no kidding) & the tech seemed mistaken as to dates (long story) she said that she only saw one baby (although one could very easily lie directly behind the other & be missed this early on).

DH said he was actually disappointed! I tend to see the reality of it...and neat as twins would be...it's probably a LOT more work.

Old 02-22-2006, 05:11 AM

I have been checking to see if you found out yet. (crashing in from Oct) I am glad you now know. Atleast baby is doing well What was up with the tech. You can't say long story but not post it
Old 02-22-2006, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Well...she said that I was barely 6 weeks, but that the baby measured just over 1cm & it had a heartbeat of 140 bpm.
I know that I am 8 weeks. (I wouldn't have even been pregnant when I did my HPT if I were only 6 weeks)
And according to all the info I looked up...the baby only measures 1cm + at the end of 7 weeks. And generally, they can't see a heartbeat until 7 weeks +. (At least not with a transabdominal U/S...or if they do it's around 100 bpm)
Plus she spent literally 5 min doing the exam.

Old 02-22-2006, 07:05 PM

Is it possible the tech was referring to gestational age?

I want to say it took longer than five minutes to find the 2nd baby when I was 34 weeks. But I think the time expanded in retrospect, LOL. I was in suspense too about what you would find out. But then, I kind of didn't want to post because I don't completely trust ultrasound, so of course I am thinking they missed the other one. Geez, at least if they saw two you would know for sure. This way, there is still that little irksome seed of doubt. Hmmmm.

User Tag List