could it be twins? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-20-2006, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone,

Well, I am measuring larger than I am weeks pregnant....at 16 weeks even I was 18.5 cm and my uterus was right at my navel.
I didn't have an ultrasound yet, since I know when my LMP was and when I conceived. I have one on May 12.

This is my 4th pregnancy, 2 kiddos born of average size.

I am just over 35 and I had HORRIBLE m/s. worse then ever before with other pregnancies.

Oh, and for what it is worth, my triple screen came back with a slightly elevated risk for trisomy 18. Down's and spina bifida were way down, though. I heard multiples can be one reason that the test comes back this way.

Stupid test. never will have that done again. Too inaccurate, from what I have read and heard. oh well. what is done is done.

So, the question is...

how do you know if you are carrying twins?

(besides ultrasound)

Thanks,

V
#2 of 5 Old 04-20-2006, 07:29 PM

when they get bigger and you feel movement, the kicks/punches can happen all over at the same time sometimes.

sometimes a midwife can catch two baby heartbeats and sometimes a midwife can feel two babies' spines/heads

measuring just 2.5 weeks ahead at this time doesn't seem to too much cause for twin thoughts since you are a two-time mama already and especially with the way most women store fat in that region between the navel and the pubic bone.

to be on the safe side, make sure you are eating LOTS and LOTS of protein.

~claudia
#3 of 5 Old 04-20-2006, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Claudia,

I knew I could count on you to reply. Thanks!
Your words are always reassuring.
I wouldn't mind twins, but I think it would be a period of readjustment, so to say!

keep ya posted!

I am feeling a lot of movement though!
v
#4 of 5 Old 04-20-2006, 09:21 PM

I am crashing from August.... I put a lot of stock currently in mother's intuition. The night before my u/s I was reading how to sling twins... Really I had a hunch even before we conceived that it would be twins, spooky really. Also I could have counted the number of times I got sick with my dd on one hand and with these two was sick a lot more! Still less than most people's m/s but a lot more for me. We also had HCG levels tested early on so I was suspicous from that... Starting at about 17 weeks I felt movement top and bottom and on the sides all at the same time so that helped clue me in! Measuring 2cm ahead for a BTDT mama isn't too much of an indicator though some twin mamas measure far ahead some right on and some singleton mamas measure way far ahead for no apparent reason. I measure about 5-6 weeks ahead.

Good luck I hope you get what you want
#5 of 5 Old 04-22-2006, 07:39 PM

i have been wondering about twins too, but mostly for intuitve reasons...
i ahve always sort of thought i would have twins...and with this one i am getting major mixed signals on the personality and gender.
which was not the way with dd.
however i have been way less sick and this time so, i do not know if that is a strike against the twin theory.

i am going to have my midwife look for heart beats soon so maybe she will find something!

if she thought i was having twins, then i would have an US done by the 3rd trimester...just to know for sure (positions and such)
any way
it is all so exciting...
i also measured at least 2 weeks ahead with dd the whole time....i was just big with a lot of amniotic fluid....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page