Ultrasound Question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-26-2006, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just had my 18 week ultrasound today, baby has a heartbeat and is moving around. But any time i would ask the technitician anything she would say you have to ask the doctor once she gets the report in a week. I asked if the baby is the right size, and if everything is ok, but she wouldent tell me. Do you think that means something is wrong? or is this normal??
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2006, 05:54 PM

I think this is normal depending on the tech. I've had friendlier ones who chat away, pointing out highlights like organs and spine and others who stick to the task and don't say anything besides move this way-move that way. The doctor *is* the one who is responsible for giving you accurate information based on the u/s. The techs can be wonderful smart people, but they are basically trained to point in the correct direction and click. I don't know why this particular tech wouldn't give you any information about weight, etc. I always look at the monitor and check all the numbers myself as they go along. You have the right to medical information about you/your baby taken from tests you agree to undergo! If you are feeling concerned, why not call your doc's office and ask the doc or a PA to request the report sooner, tell them you thought the tech acted strange about the results.

IBCLC, LLLL, Mom to 3, obsessive baker, where's my coffee
Old 04-26-2006, 05:58 PM

Technically they're not allowed to tell you anything, just report it to your care provider. Some will break that rule, and others won't.

When I had my ultrasound in my first pregnancy, the tech wouldn't even let me see the screen for the first 25 minutes.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

Old 04-26-2006, 06:25 PM

Yup, and he could have just gotten reprimanded last week for telling something about the baby to mom and it being wrong or something like that.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:25 PM

i had a "mean" tech at my u/s. they aren't supposed to say anything as a medical diagnosis BUT its there JOB to find out where the organs are, the heart, legs, head etc. The least they could do is point it out and explain WHAT they are doing. HELLO!!! I was unhappy that I had to PRY everything out of my (male) tech. me, personally, i will NEVER settle. if i have another baby (or u/s which is unlikely) and i start out with a tech i don't like...i'll get a new one. they need to be nice!!

hope that everythings ok!!
Old 04-27-2006, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks all of you
Im feeling better now. I figure everything should be ok, so unless they call im just going to wait until my appointment.

User Tag List