I can't seem to do my Kegels! Help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-28-2006, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm presently at 21.5 weeks and I know I should have started them sooner. I've been trying for the last month, and now I pee so much and so urgently I can't even stop the flow when I'm peeing to figure out where the muscles are. Anyone have any ideas on how I can get started?
Already when I laugh or cough I lose a few drops.
#2 of 10 Old 04-28-2006, 10:48 AM

Ummm, this sounds way too personal, but try tightening your anal spinchter (sp?) muscle and you'll feel the right "kegel" muscles tighten as well.
Again, wayyyyy personal, but try "squeezing" your dh during/right after intercourse.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#3 of 10 Old 04-28-2006, 10:53 AM

YEah, to the above

I have to cross my legs when I laugh or cough most of the time too. I can stop or at least slow down my pee mid flow though... just not at the same time I'm coughing!
#4 of 10 Old 04-28-2006, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhoneyswife
I have to cross my legs when I laugh or cough most of the time too. I can stop or at least slow down my pee mid flow though... just not at the same time I'm coughing!
And sneezing-those are the worst! I'm thinking I'll have to wear pads to collect pee by the end of this pregnancy.

#5 of 10 Old 04-28-2006, 11:01 AM

Ummm hmmm! It's actually not so bad if I go pee when I need to, I get into trouble when I start putting it off. I'll look up at DH and say, 'oh, I just peed!' and he'll look at me like I have 3 heads and I'll say 'oh, it's okay, it's just a little bit' and he shakes his head and goes on with life. Pee IS sterile, so it doesn't gross me out too aweful bad unless it's more than a few drops. Haven't had the whole runnign down my leg thing since 1st grade when I was wearing overalls I couldn't unbuckle, that was gross.

#6 of 10 Old 04-28-2006, 11:06 AM

Yes! This is a conversation heard in our house more times than I'd like to admit:

Me: A-choo
Dh: Bless you
Me: Crap!
Dh: Wet yourself again, huh?

I used to go change my panties each time, but now I'd be doing laundry everyday. It dries, right?

#7 of 10 Old 04-28-2006, 12:17 PM

Yeah! Me too! Does this sneezing/laughing thing get better after birth, or worse (as I fear)? I am trying to remember to do my Kegels and I'm terrible at it.

Anybody have suggestions for remembering to do them?

Doing them now...

As to how to know how to do them, (TMI here) try stopping your urine flow right at the end; it should be a little easier than at the beginning when your body is like "out! out! get it out!" And yes, you can feel if you're doing them right if your finger or your partner's penis is in there -- there will be a squeeze. Try making your DH say "eek!" by doing it post-sex. My old OBGYN was helpful in learning this; maybe your care provider can offer tips?

Mimi :yawning: the happy mama of one DD & one DS ; married to my sweetie.
#8 of 10 Old 04-30-2006, 12:54 AM

Thanks for the laughs ladies... how many of us have to assume the position (crossed legs - half squat) when we feel a sneeze coming on? My husband just says, "Bless you" when he sees me cross my legs and hunker down.
#9 of 10 Old 04-30-2006, 06:56 AM

It's easier to tell right off if you take two (washed and nails clipped!) fingers and put them right up inside, then squeeze as though you're trying to cut off urine flow. You'll feel the walls of your vagina tighten. Hold it for a few seconds, then release. You'll know you're doing it right because you'll physically feel it with your fingers, and this might be the easiest way for you to figure it out if you're new.

The first while will feel VERY weird and intense, and it'll be difficult to hold the muscles tight for more than a second or two - but keep at it.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#10 of 10 Old 04-30-2006, 03:11 PM

I second what everyone else has said. Practicing them during sex makes it really easy for me to tell if I'm squeezing the right muscles. TMI, but I now institute kegel time during sex and dh has NO complaints. Trying to do it while peeing just doesn't work out. Littleteapot's suggestion is also great follows the same principal.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page