Carseat question... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 05-01-2006, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was thinking we would be buying another Britax convertible seat for this next baby (9/06). I am realizing though that our 2 yr. old DD is 30 lbs. and may actually be ready for a Britax booster -- I may be able to use her convertible seat for the new baby (?).

Does anyone know when is a good age and weight to move a child into a booster instead of the regular carseat? My older two children are old enough now that I simply cannot remember when they moved into a booster seat!

Or maybe a two year old Britax seat is too out-of-date already and I need to replace it?

Any thoughts appreciated!
#2 of 16 Old 05-01-2006, 05:10 PM

I'm no expert, but I thought that carseats were good for 5 years before you are supposed to replace them. My friend just moved her almost-3yo into a booster, and it seems really young to me! She assured me her dd meets the height/weight reqs, but I don't feel like ds (27mos) is ready for one. I'm sure you can find the guidelines for boosters somewhere - good luck!

Keeping busy with 2 boys & 1 girl ('04, '06, '08)
#3 of 16 Old 05-01-2006, 05:54 PM

From what i have read they are supposed to be 40 pounds and 40 inches, or at least 4 years old. My son is almost 4 but only 35 pounds and 37 inches so he is still in a car seat, except for once in awhile we have a booster seat in my moms car in case she needs to drive him home. I just dont feel like he is big enough yet to be in it all the time.
#4 of 16 Old 05-01-2006, 06:17 PM

the national guideline is 4 yrs old and 40 lbs before moving to a belt-positioning booster seat, and 6 yrs from manufacture date of car seat (printed on seat) until expiration.

however, individual states can have their own recommendations above and beyond this guideline. oregon, for example, states that 5 yrs from date of manufacture is the expiration date of a car seat.

Caroline, what Britax do you have that the weight limit is so low? our Britax Marathon has a rear-facing weight limit of 33 lbs but a forward facing weight limit of closer to 50 lbs.

check out www.cpsafety.org for more info about 5 point harnesses vs belt-positioning booster seats.

~claudia
#5 of 16 Old 05-02-2006, 12:03 AM

I know there is at least 1 Britax booster that starts at 30#, but considering a 30# child should still be rfing, there's no way I'd put them in a booster, especially at only 2. AJ will be at least 6 before he moves to one and maybe longer. If you want to use your seat for this baby, maybe get your 2yo a Regent instaed?

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#6 of 16 Old 05-02-2006, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

but I also feel the need to clarify...

My daughter will actually be 3 by the time this baby is born and she is in the 90% in height and 30 lbs. I went and actually saw a Britax booster seat while I was looking for another Britax convertible seat for the new baby and then the thought crossed my mind to switch her to that when the baby came because the booster said 30 lbs starting. I just was wondering if that was too early and it appears that everyone here believes it is too early. The booster by Britax is around $100 and a new seat like my Marathon is around $250 so this is a big difference for us. Obviously, I want my daughter to be safe and will not jump to the booster too soon -- worth every penny to buy another convertible seat.

Wow, I'll try to be more clear next time!
#7 of 16 Old 05-02-2006, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepeach80
I know there is at least 1 Britax booster that starts at 30#, but considering a 30# child should still be rfing,
My DD is 5 and only weighs 30#. I don't have her rear facing, I can't imagine her being comfortable rfing now. Also we have a booster to use in my parents car. It has a back to it and the guidelines for using it with the back are 3 years and 30#, without the back (so it's just a booster with no shoulder strap positioning) is 4 years and 40#. When it is used it's used with the back.

Sarah loving wife to Scot...joyous mama to...
Emilee and Elaina and our newest addition Elliot Bell 9/15/10
#8 of 16 Old 05-02-2006, 01:36 PM

have you mamas seen this page? http://www.cpsafety.org/articles/stayrearfacing.aspx

on it is a link to some crash test footage of kids in carseats rear-facing and then forward-facing. very telling.

and then at the bottom of the page is a link to a photo album of older kids rear-facing in carseats. legs folded, but still rear-facing.

~claudia
#9 of 16 Old 05-02-2006, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

I just read that website and it really is a wealth of info. It looks like I need to start looking for a "combination seat" which I never have heard of until now. My DD's head is almost level with the back of her convertible Britax and evidently this is a problem -- she's really tall. I am hoping I can find one that still has the 5-point harness...off to search the web!

Thanks!
#10 of 16 Old 05-02-2006, 05:54 PM

Caroline: have you read the manual that came with your particular Britax seat? the guidelines they have on that site are for general use only and they always defer to the specific manual for the manufacture of your carseat. Britax themselves changed their guidelines within the past couple of years and their manuals have changed also, so double check your manual before automaticallly assuming that your seat is not right for your daughter anymore.

~claudia
#11 of 16 Old 05-02-2006, 07:09 PM

FYI - Britax has all their manuals posted on their website (probably other manufacturers do too, but I've only checked Britax!)

Mimi :yawning: the happy mama of one DD & one DS ; married to my sweetie.
#12 of 16 Old 05-02-2006, 07:31 PM

Sarah, unless she is too tall to rf, she could technically still be rfing. The page that Claudia? posted has some good pics of older children rfing so you can see it's at least possible. IMO, age has more to do w/ when a child can sit in a booster than weight (as long as they meet the min), a 30# 5yo is not the 'norm'. It's proven though that harnessing is safer than using a booster and I wholly support that as long as it can be afforded by the parents and the child still fits into a harnessed seat height wise.

#13 of 16 Old 05-02-2006, 08:30 PM

We do have DD in a harnessed carseat, we only use the booster if she rides with my parents (which isn't very often). I realize that a 30# 5y/o isn't the norm she still gets mistaken as a 3y/o. Luckily she is short enough to still meet the height requirements of our carseat, but won't be soon.

Sarah loving wife to Scot...joyous mama to...
Emilee and Elaina and our newest addition Elliot Bell 9/15/10
#14 of 16 Old 05-02-2006, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Claudia, of course I have read my user manual, how else would I ever be able to actually install my carseat! LOL.

I just looked at Britax's website and they mentioned that the manuals are subject to change and listed a Customer service number to call. I thought I would post the info. for anyone else interested in checking out how info. on their seat has changed in the last couple of years:

Contact Us

We value your feedback.

Please call us at 1-888-427-4829.

Our hours of operation are Monday through Thursday 8:30 am through 4:45 pm and Friday from 8:30 am through 1:45 pm EST.

Or write to us at Britax Child Safety

Attn: Consumer Quality Services
13501 South Ridge Drive

Charlotte, North Carolina 28273
USA
#15 of 16 Old 05-03-2006, 10:07 AM

Caroline, don't laugh, I can't tell you how many seats I've installed where it was obvious mom and dad didn't read the manual! I just did one for a dad w/ 3 college degrees who I know didn't read it.

#16 of 16 Old 05-03-2006, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline
Obviously, I want my daughter to be safe and will not jump to the booster too soon -- worth every penny to buy another convertible seat.

Wow, I'll try to be more clear next time!
There have been a lot of replies, I can't speak for everyone but just wanted to let you know that I totally understood that from your post & didn't think you were being reckless! Until I read that link Claudia posted I'd never heard of a combination seat either - my ds is about six months younger than your dd, but growing fast, so I know we will be looking at that decision soon too.

Keeping busy with 2 boys & 1 girl ('04, '06, '08)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page