Weight gain - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-03-2006, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just stepped on the scale. Up 20 pounds Wow! I'm 20.5 weeks. Now for my excuses, about 5 of those can be accounted for because of clothing and that it's the afternoon and I usually weigh in the morning. So I'm guessing I'm really up 15 pounds. I feel great, though, and apparently am only gaining in my belly area, which is neato. My maternity pants are all too big because I bought them big enough to gain in my butt to. Oh well, I'm sure they'll fit eventually.

I need to switch gears and start working on eating more protein, I've kinda been eating whatever I feel like, which is a lot of bread and butter and fruit and veggies. I had an egg today, good start. And I bought 2 containers of Ben and Jerrys that mysteriously disappeared (and DH didn't eat them) over the past week.

K, just thought I'd confess my weight gain

Cara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2006, 07:23 PM

Maybe I shouldn't reply, please don't hate me.
I think I've gained probably about 5-6 pounds, so here I am eating my dd's leftover birthday cake and ice cream to keep thing rolling. Most of my weight gain comes in the last trimester, I think.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Oh no, I don't hate you! I was stuck at being up 7 pounds for a long long time, til maybe 16-17 weeks? I just balooned out all of a sudden! It surprised me and I thought it was funny...
Old 05-03-2006, 08:02 PM

I think I'm up about 10 lbs. So far, that's pretty similar to my last pregnancy, when I gained pretty slowly up until the end, and managed to pack on a total of 40 lbs by the time ds was born.

Keeping busy with 2 boys & 1 girl ('04, '06, '08)
Old 05-03-2006, 08:06 PM

I'm at 4 lbs gained.... of course I am down 2 from being so sick this week UGH.... and I started out really fluffy!

Deb
Old 05-03-2006, 09:08 PM

Well, I hadn't gained much at all last month--5 lbs I think.
This month (I had my midwife appt yesterday) I'd gained about 8 or 9 lbs from last time.

Sooo, that brings me up to approx 15 lbs total gain so far (I'm 21.5 weeks).

I KNOW I'm gonna gain a bunch in the second half of this pregnancy

FTR I gained 45 lbs with DD and 35-40 with DS.

ETA: I started out at about 125, and I'm 5'5"
Old 05-03-2006, 09:12 PM

I lost almost 10 pounds in my first trimester, and haven't gained any yet.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:47 PM

I have gained 17 pounds and am 20 weeks tomorrow. I have to admit, I am TRYING to cut out sugar/cake etc. so that I don't gain quite as much as I did with baby #3. I gained 44 pounds and it took me over a year to take it all off! I gained a much healthier amount with babies #1 and #2 (32 pounds and 26 pounds) and I felt SO MUCH BETTER the entire pregnancy and the weight came off quickly. I would like to just say, "hey, eat what ever you want, you're pregnant" but I know that if I do that again I am going to regret it eventually. Looks like I am still on the track to gain 30-35 pounds so that's healthy gain wise -- mainly I am just focusing on eating really well and to get plenty of good proteins, whole grains, yogurt and cheeses, veggies and fruits.

There are some good online pregnancy weight gain charts that you can use to plug in your pounds and weeks gestation, it then calculates your ultimate gain at the end of 40 weeks. COOL!
Old 05-03-2006, 11:33 PM

i am 22 weeks and i have gained about 15 pounds...
last time i gained about 50-55
but i also gained 15 pounds in the first 2 months of my last pregnancy...so i feel i am doing great!

my tummy is pretty big to be 22 weeks....but i always measured 2-3 weeks ahead with dd...so i am not concerned.
the wieght is mostly in my tummy.

BUT last time is was preggo
i spent the first 1/2 of my pregnancy in chicago and it was winter...it WAS SO COLD all i did was lay around our apt and eat. and then we moved to GA that spring and it was SOOOOOOOO hot and all i did was lay around our house and eat (ice cream, duh!)

THIS time
first of all i rarely get to sit down b/c i have a very active demanding 2 yr old....and i am enjoying doing 2 different work out tapes at home (in the AC) and taking family walks
and if i want to eat naughty food i have to sneak it around dd (which is very hard) or wait till she is asleep (which keeps me up at night on sugar high and is not really worth it)
so it is not self control as much as situational constraint that keeps me from eating all the yummy trash i want.

but being a recovering annorexic, i really have to keep myself off the scale and not think about it too much or i can really loose my hold on reality.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:54 AM

So far at 21 weeks I haven't gained anything. I'm starting to get a little worried about it, but not too much. I started out overweight (see new belly pic thread) so it's not so bad I guess. I have a mw appointment next week and I'll see what she has to say about it. With DD I gained 20#, with the first set of twins I gained 40#, and with the second set I gained......10#! They were a perfectly healthy 6lb1oz and 5lb10oz at 35w6d, so I guess I did something right.

Sarah loving wife to Scot...joyous mama to...
Emilee and Elaina and our newest addition Elliot Bell 9/15/10
Old 05-04-2006, 02:49 AM

wow, and here I've been feeling bad that I've gained two lbs in the last 2 weeks. I've gained back 4 of the 6 that I'd lost my first trimester. I feel kind of silly now after reading all of your posts. Although thinking back, with dd#2 I had only gained 7 lbs at 7 mos. and dd#1 was about tha same, that time I gained a ton the last 2 months though.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:46 AM

This made me curious, so I checked -- 8 or 9 pounds at 22 1/2 weeks. I only gained 1-2 the first 16w so lately it's been closer to a pound a week. As long as I feel healthy and the midwives aren't worried about it, I'm content. Which is a refreshing attitude for me and my weight.

Mimi :yawning: the happy mama of one DD & one DS ; married to my sweetie.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Yay! I bet we're all healthy I just weighed again this morning and it is 16 pounds that I've gained for real. I ate 2 eggs for my protein for breakfast, and some hot chocolate because I can't be all *good* ya know? My body seems to do what it wants, and I haven't been stuffing myself, so I think I'm healthy. In high school I used to eat til I was stuffed allll the time, I never do that any more, so I think whatever I gain is going to be healthy. Unless it's like 90 pounds or something, *that* wouldn't be healthy! I can't see myself doing that, though

Now, I've been waking up at 3 am starving! Anyone else like that? I think I'm going to keep a little dried fruit next to my bed or something. At 3 am it's like 45 degrees in the house and I'm not about to be getting out of bed, but I figure if I'm hungry I should be eating. So that's my plan.

Old 05-04-2006, 03:56 PM

I am 20w4d & I have gained 15 pounds. I was/am overweight to begin with so I had hoped to not gain so much, but oh well whatta ya gonna do? I gained 33 pounds w/ DS & was pretty much just as overweight starting out with him. This time I think I am going gain a bit more. As long as I keep eating healthy my body will do whatever it needs to I guess. Thank goodness my midwife doesn't care. My midwife w/ DS made me feel like I was to fat to have a baby & was determined that I was going to have GD: , but I didn't HA HA!! I gain more than alot of people in the 1st tri becuase I don't get sick, in fact I eat like crazy. Then I evened out for awhile, but I jumped up about 9 pounds in the last 3 or 4 weeks.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

Old 05-04-2006, 05:34 PM

Oh yeah, no what you mean. At about the 18th week of my pregnancy I out grew my pre-pregnancy pants, it was the pits. It is quite disconcerting that the scale is only going to raise those numbers, oh well, we have a great surprise in the end! Keep your chin up, it does get better!! Forgot to add, I've gained about 10lbs and am at 22 wks.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:49 PM

I went for my midwife visit last week at 21 weeks and I had gained 8 pounds. This morning I weighed just for the heck of it and had gained like 5 pounds in a week. I'm feeling really big all of the sudden, especially in the tummy and rear end. Of course I have been eating my fair share of ice cream.
I gained about 45 pounds w/dd1 (8 lbs 9 oz) and 19 pounds w/dd2 (10 lbs). This pregnancy has been so completely different from the first two that I have no idea what to expect.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
Old 05-05-2006, 04:25 PM

Well, I lost 5 in the first trimester and now Im up 15 from that, so Im up 10lbs from my starting point. Ill be 20 weeks tomorow.

I gained 40 lbs total last pregnancy, but only started to gain at 19 weeks. Im a bit ahead of the game this time. Oh well.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:20 PM

I have gained 11 pounds so far at nearly 23 weeks. I'm gaining slower than I did with my first PG, but I've also had worse morning sickness and the flu and bronchitis. So I'm not too surprised about that!
Old 05-07-2006, 11:37 PM

15 pounds and I wish my nurse had never cheered at the 1 pound gain at my 16 week visit or so telling how great that was and keep it up and so on

Now I'm feeling guilty.

I eat fairly healthy, a lot of whole grain bread with cheese and rice with lentils but every second day or so Ill have something like cookies or ice cream. Some of it must be water. Or so I hope...
Old 05-07-2006, 11:52 PM

I'm curious to see if I've gained anything at my appt tomorrow. (As of week 17 I had not only gained nothing, I had actually lost a pound.) We don't even have a scale at home. I'm a big mamma to begin with, and didn't gain more than 10 lbs with each previous pg, so this is normal for me. (Babes were 9+ and 8.11 at birth, btw!) Still, I feel all waddly and poochy now, so I'm wondering if I've snuck some pounds in here somewhere.

I'm still on my crazy hard boiled egg diet, lol. I'll eat deviled eggs and tomato juice for lunch and you'd think I just had lobster and caviar, yummmm.

IBCLC, LLLL, Mom to 3, obsessive baker, where's my coffee
Old 05-09-2006, 09:27 PM

i was just going to post about this. i also started around 120ish pounds. and i have gained at least 20 pounds. the whole first trimester i was so hungry i had to eat in the middle of the night. i don't eat any sweets. maybe a small dessert once a month? a sip of juice if i'm feeling really queazy. if i go too long without eating i feel really queazy and dizzy. i hope that this is normal! my midwife didn't say anything at all. i'm going to decline the gestational diabetes test and they want to prick my finger instead. i'm not really helping my case by gaining lots of weight but i believe in eat to hunger and drink to thirst. i gained 40 pounds with my son and we had no problems whatsoever. he was actually kinda small! no blood sugar issues. easy to lose the weight. i felt great toward the end... walked every day!

still...i'm unsure. i eat a lot healthier this time and i feel like the weight is just piling on.

moma justice- good for you for avoiding the scale. i know you were having bad m/s ..i hope you are feeling better. you are vegi right?
Old 05-10-2006, 01:24 AM

I just had a prenatal visit today. I have gained back all 5 of the pounds I lost my first tri plus another 4! I'm doing a lot better than I thought I was!
Old 05-10-2006, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisysmom
I just had a prenatal visit today. I have gained back all 5 of the pounds I lost my first tri plus another 4! I'm doing a lot better than I thought I was!
Yay! Good for you!

Old 05-10-2006, 02:37 PM

Yikes! Yesterday was a busy day & I didn't eat well & barely drank any water, so when I got to my midwife appt I had a trace of sugar in my urine. So she sent me home with a food journal & a glucose monitor. I have to prick my finger like 7 times a day for the next few days. She said she wasn't really worried, but she is an info gatherer, if that makes sense.

PLUS I hate her scale It said I had gained 10 pounds since my last appt 4 weeks ago. According to her scale in the middle of the day I have gained 27 pounds. According to mine first thing in the morning I have gained about 18. Again she isn't worried (in fact I don't have to weigh at all if I don't want to) & neither am I, but I just hate the inconsistancy. Plus in the back of my mind I am sure she is thinking, Gees what a fat cow!! Not really

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

Old 05-10-2006, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl
Plus in the back of my mind I am sure she is thinking, Gees what a fat cow!! Not really
If this makes you feel any better, with my first pregnancy, I gained a total of 65 pounds. I felt like the fattest cow, but I knew I looked beautiful. I wasn't overweight at all, I just had a TON of fluids. So much so, that when we talk about my son's birth, we say that he came surfing out. My son was 9lb, 7oz at birth. I think any weight you gain is needed for your baby to be nice and healthy. Just keep reminding yourself how beautifully pregnant you are.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diprincess
If this makes you feel any better, with my first pregnancy, I gained a total of 65 pounds. I felt like the fattest cow, but I knew I looked beautiful. I wasn't overweight at all, I just had a TON of fluids. So much so, that when we talk about my son's birth, we say that he came surfing out. My son was 9lb, 7oz at birth. I think any weight you gain is needed for your baby to be nice and healthy. Just keep reminding yourself how beautifully pregnant you are.
Thanks! With DS I gained 33 pound & I am going at about the same rate this time, maybe a little faster. It wouldn't really even be an issue at all for me except that I was so heavy before I go preg, but I guess that is a whole other story entirely :

Old 05-11-2006, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisysmom
Okay, so I didn't mention the funny thing about my appointment. The Dr. (I'm seen in complicated OB this time) got on my case for eating too much! He said "You need to be careful, you don't want to gain weight too quickly now.". I couldn't believe it! 4 lbd and he's worried about me gaining to much weight. Although at my last appt I was still down 3 lbs and its only been about 4 weeks. I hadn't gained much of anything before that. Maybe that has something to do with his reaction. Still why do I need to be worried?!? That's just rediculous. Although with how I had been feeling afraid I was gaining too much weight a week or so ago (unrealistic fear caused by the depression I'm fighting) he could have done some real damage there if I didn't know better)
Old 05-12-2006, 05:50 PM

I was up 12 lbs at 21.5 weeks a couple of days ago. I wish I knew what I weighed when w/DD! I gained 45 lbs with her & I don't see how I can gain 33 lbs in 18 weeks now... I know it's possible b/c there were some weeks w/DD I gained 2lbs/week! I am more active this time & eat WAY less dairy.

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

Old 05-12-2006, 06:23 PM

Started at 108 and am now 130. I don't look it though. The only thing different is my big baby belly, but even that isn't so big. I wonder where all this weight is actually going??

luckily, my midwives don't seem to care because I started out pretty thin.

Mama to DD 06' Partner to Sasa
Old 05-12-2006, 08:47 PM

Digression --

I was at my doctor's office today -- my primary care DO, a non-pregnancy related visit, so I hadn't been in the office since August. So this med student took my history and looked at my vitals and whatnot, and then she said, "Well, it looks like you HAVE gained some weight since you were last here in August..." And I was like, "YEAH, that's cause I'm over five months PREGNANT!" She was so startled and flustered it was hilarrrrrrrrious. In her defense, I was wearing a non-super-obvious shirt and had a book in my lap that sort of obscured things. It was just pretty awesome to be able to deflect that with nature's perfect excuse! And then she was like, oh, wow, i mean, maybe that's not enough weight then, and, um.... So I said, oh, it's PERFECT, thanks, my midwives are really happy. (To her credit again, she then started raving about how great midwives were. I think she was just really happy to get off the weight topic )

User Tag List