Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yesterday at my midwife appt I had a trace of sugar in my urine. I am
sure it was just a result of my busy day, not eating properly & not
drinking nearly enough water. But just to check things out my midwife
sent me home with a food journal & a glucose monitor. So I am checking
my sugars when I get up, then 1 & 2 hours after meals. However she
didn't send me home with any idea of what is normal.

I am sure some of you have now or have had GD so I am wondering if any of you can tell me what ranges I should be looking for. I am only doing it
for 2 days & then I am going to call her to discuss the results, but
in the meantime I want to know

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#2 of 8 Old 05-11-2006, 02:31 PM

The values of your blood sugar levels should be no higher than 115 after you eat. Fortunately, I have never had gestational diabetes, and that would surely be doom for me, lol. In fact, I am dreading the day I have to drink that nasty concotion. I hope everything turns out well for you!
#3 of 8 Old 05-11-2006, 02:55 PM

The "normals" are relaxed a lot in PG since it is, by definition, a time of impaired glucose tolerance. Most providers want BS below 140. 115 is VERY tight for a 1-hour PP glucose.

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
#4 of 8 Old 05-11-2006, 02:59 PM

Hmm, I was under the impression that 75-125 was considered normal, but I may have outdated data.

My blood sugar is wonky, I used to test it when I worked as a nurse's aide, but after doing that I can feel it when it gets low. I've actually never tested above 80, but like I said, I'm wonky. Mine would get down to the teens in the morning if I didn't eat, so I make sure I eat now because the baby deserves to have higher blood sugar than that!

From the diabetics I worked with, having a stressful day or running around a lot would cause them to have higher sugars, so you could very well be right about that.

And stinko for your midwife not telling you what normal was! That's a pet peeve I have with medical people, they don't tell you why or what, just want you to blindly follow. Blah.

Cara
#5 of 8 Old 05-11-2006, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. It sounds like I am within ok ranges pretty much then. However yesterday my fasting was only 40 & today it was 104. Then 1 hour after breakfast it was 101. So that is confusing me, but the rest of yesterday sounds like it was good. Although I think the 40 was because I waited too long to eat & tested right before I ate rather than when I got up.

We shall see what she says. I am going to try to call her tomorrow.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#6 of 8 Old 05-11-2006, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhoneyswife
Hmm, I was under the impression that 75-125 was considered normal, but I may have outdated data.
Cara
that's true for nonpregnant people, but pregnancy makes your body much less able to moderate the BS response to food, so the upper limit is usually moved higher. 125 after meals is unrealistic for most true GDM patients, especially after breakfast (sunrise effect).

#7 of 8 Old 05-14-2006, 01:49 PM

Hi... I'm a dietitian and I work with women with gestational diabetes. The blood glucose goals for pregnancy are actually lower than for diabetes in general. This is because blood sugar naturally drops during pregnancy (due to baby's demand for glucose). And keeping blood sugar in tight control helps prevent complications. Complications include large baby & difficult delivery, and hypoglycemia in baby after birth.
Pregnancy hormones induce insulin resistance, which may result in gestational diabetes (GDM). The first line of treatment for GDM is dietary modifications and exercise. Self monitoring blood glucose 4 times a day or more is necessary to ensure that diet/exercise are effective in keeping glucose levels within range. Sometimes, despite diet/exercise a woman may require insulin or a diabetes med to keep sugar levels in check. But more often, modifying the carbohydrate content of the diet and walking after meals works great!
Blood glucose goals for pregnancy:
Fasting 60 - 90
1 hour after meals (test 1 hour after 1st bite) 60 - 130
2 hours after meals 60 - 110
Hope this helps!
#8 of 8 Old 05-14-2006, 02:09 PM

Clearly, we need to be tougher on the diabetic mamas in our unit!

Honestly, we think we're doing pretty well if we can get them to check their BS consistently. Since they won't be pregnant forever, we're not worried about long-term effects like diabetic neuropathy and allow them some leeway. There's not a lot of good data in the literature about blood sugar control and optimal BS levels in GDM, but it seems reasonable that since non-diabetic pregnant women also tend to have elevated sugars, GDM moms may not need to keep their sugars "normal", per se, as they would with preexisting DM, but instead moderate the levels as much as possible.

Quite honestly, I've taken care of brittle insulin-dependent diabetics (type I) and GDM under diet control, and the babies either do well or they don't, but tight control doesn't seem to be the best predictor of who will do well and who won't.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page