Freezer Meals - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 06-12-2006, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, ya'all freezing stuff in anticipation of baby/3rd trimester fatigue? I'm working on it. Last month I ended up pulling a lot of my pre-made dinners out of the freezer because we ran out of food and I was too lazy to get to the store... so I'm back in stock-up mode : can we post recipies/ideas?

Here's what I have so far and/or want to do:

Meatballs (JUST learned how to make these, lol!)

Maple rolls (like cinimon rolls, but with maple syrup instead of cin sugar` it gets all carmally in the oven)

Hamburger patties for DH (eww, I haven't been able to eat hamburgers since I got pg)

Frozen homemade pizza (2/3 peparoni, 1/3 veggie for me)

Homemade McDonalds sandwiches- sausage, egg, cheese on a bagel

Bread (we make our own bread)

Lasagna

Mashed potates (I did this this weekend)

Oatmeal banana muffins (24 this weekend, yay!)

Scalloped potatoes

Shepard's pie

Sloppy joes

Burritos

Hopefully have frozen veggies from my garden

Cara
#2 of 45 Old 06-12-2006, 11:15 AM

Oh, I'm totally planning to stock up my freezer. Not awake enough yet to post recipes, but I'll be back. Share ideas, please!

Keeping busy with 2 boys & 1 girl ('04, '06, '08)
#3 of 45 Old 06-12-2006, 11:53 AM

myhoneyswife-with the maple rolls you simply replace the cinn/sugar with maple syrup?
I've been longing for cinn rolls but maple rolls sound heavenly!
#4 of 45 Old 06-12-2006, 12:02 PM

I'm doing pretty much everything on your list including:
Baked Zitti
Chilli
Beef Stews
Chicken and Dumplings

I usually use allrecipes.com for most of my ideas on what to freeze. The crock pot is my best friend.
#5 of 45 Old 06-12-2006, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel
myhoneyswife-with the maple rolls you simply replace the cinn/sugar with maple syrup?
I've been longing for cinn rolls but maple rolls sound heavenly!
Yeah, but not the exact same amount. If you use real maple syrup (not the maple flavored corn syrup) then it's WAY sweeter than sugar, so you want to use less. I normally just spread the dough with butter, drizzle it lightly with syrup, and roll it up. Then on top if I think it looks a little dry I'll drizzle a little more. We love these. Too bad real syrup is so stinkin pricey!
#6 of 45 Old 06-12-2006, 02:30 PM

I so want to do this, but I am afraid it is still going to be WAYYYYY to friggin hot here in Sept to turn on the oven. We are also vegetarian. Please give me some ideas for vegetarian non oven frezer meals

I am already planning to do lots of pancakes, french toast, egg burritos & muffins for breakfasts.

For dinner/lunches I am sort of lost other than having beans & veggie patties ready.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#7 of 45 Old 06-12-2006, 02:45 PM

QUOTE]I so want to do this, but I am afraid it is still going to be WAYYYYY to friggin hot here in Sept to turn on the oven. We are also vegetarian. Please give me some ideas for vegetarian non oven frezer meals [/QUOTE]
I like hearty soups and stews. I'm not a veggie anymore but I used to manage a veggie restaurant, I'll get together some recipes for you. A crock pot will save you on the heat aspect...OOOHHH, try indian foods like curries and such, that will be nice for the fall. I can't believe I've totally spaced out on this. Thanks for the reminder ladies
#8 of 45 Old 06-12-2006, 02:47 PM

I'm starting my stock up after we get back from traveling for a couple of weeks around the 4th of July.

I'll be making:
meatloaf
spaghetti
"refried" black beans
taco meat
cooked ground beef
muffins
pancakes
waffles

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#9 of 45 Old 06-12-2006, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper's mama
I like hearty soups and stews. I'm not a veggie anymore but I used to manage a veggie restaurant, I'll get together some recipes for you. A crock pot will save you on the heat aspect...OOOHHH, try indian foods like curries and such, that will be nice for the fall. I can't believe I've totally spaced out on this. Thanks for the reminder ladies
Mmmm, I'd LOOOVVVEEE your recipes. We're not veg but I love veggie food. Mmmmm. LOL.
#10 of 45 Old 06-12-2006, 03:10 PM

Quote:
I like hearty soups and stews. I'm not a veggie anymore but I used to manage a veggie restaurant, I'll get together some recipes for you. A crock pot will save you on the heat aspect...OOOHHH, try indian foods like curries and such, that will be nice for the fall.
That would be WONDERFULL!!!!

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#11 of 45 Old 06-12-2006, 03:34 PM

Ya'll just tell me what you are interested in... I've got lots of soups, a nice spinach lasagna, and lots of Moosewood Cookbooks. Plus my Quiche recipe (doesn't really freeze well) and my Shepherd's pie, Seitan Fajitas, a really good Quinoa casserole (not sure how that freezes) that I picked up somewhere. Also a tofu salad (like fake egg salad) recipe from the restaurant, some sandwich spreads from the restaurant, and lots of side dishes like Ginger Tempeh, Sesame Green Beans (way easy to make), cucumber dill salad (really nice for summer), the best pasta salad ever, and a potato salad recipe I came up with last weekend. I haven't frozen anything but stews so I'm not sure how they will do, the lasagna should be fine. Just let me know
#12 of 45 Old 06-12-2006, 04:34 PM

oh boy! everything sounds so good, I must be hungry!!
I hadnt really thought of doing this, its been many years since I had a newborn, so thanks for bringing this up! I need to make some plans and organized and started.
#13 of 45 Old 06-12-2006, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Just let me know
Oo, um, everything? I think soups would be great for the cold fall months ahead, I'd especially like the spinich lasagnae recipe.

Thanks!
Cara
#14 of 45 Old 06-12-2006, 05:13 PM

I'd love the soup recipes, great for the fall when baby bean will be here! I'd also love the pasta salad recipe. Yummmm pasta salad sounds so good! Tomorrow I'm making a pesto pasta salad to take to the beach on Wed. I can't wait!!!

Oh, thanks for posting this! I totally fogot I should be packing up my freezer! It's been a long time since I've had a baby around

Sarah loving wife to Scot...joyous mama to...
Emilee and Elaina and our newest addition Elliot Bell 9/15/10
#15 of 45 Old 06-12-2006, 09:42 PM

Ok, here we go:
Spinach Lasagna
Filling:
1 1/2 lbs of crumbled extra firm or firm tofu (really mush it up & make sure it isn't wet)
1 container of ricotta cheese ( I think it's an 8 oz. package)
1 1/2 Tbsp. Garlic
1/2 Tbsp. Salt
1/2 Tbsp Basil
1 package of frozen spinach, steamed and well drained (you don't want soggy lasagna!)

2 jars of your favorite marinara

2 packages of Lasagna noodles, cooked and drained

1 lb. of shredded parmesan cheese, I prefer the fresh stuff

3/4 lb of shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat your oven to 375. You should use a regular size casserole dish (9 x 13). Layer as follows:

start with marinara to cover the bottom of your dish, then noodles (if you overlap them in a way that there ends up being 2 layers of noodles it will hold together better), 1/2 of filling, marinara, noodles, other 1/2 of filling, all of parmesan, marinara, noodles, marinara (on this layer of marinara you want to make sure all of the noodles are covered, or made at least moist, by the marinara. If any part is left dry it will cook up and be really tough).
Bake for 1/2 hour
Remove from oven and top with mozzarella
Bake until the edges turn golden, about another 1/2 hour (I think - it's been a while)

Pasta Salad

Now this recipe is for 5 lbs. so you will probably want to adjust it. Or leave it, it's great for potlucks!

8 cups uncooked veggie rotini (or whatever you like, multi-colored veggie pasta makes for a prettier dish)
1 bunch green onions, chopped
2 cups kalamata olives, halved
1 cup fresh basil, minced
4 diced tomatoes
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
3/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 - 2 cups crumbled feta cheese
1 tsp. black pepper
1 Tbsp. minced garlic

Boil pasta with a little olive oil till done. Drain and let cool, then toss with the other ingredients. Viola, the best pasta salad ever (in my opinion, but I can't say it's mine : )

now some soups:

Western corn & potato chowder

4 cups chopped onion
2.5 Tbsp. minced garlic
4 small chilies, seeded and minced
1 tsp salt
12 cups water or stock
1/8 cup ground cumin
4 medium sweet potatoes, cut to bite size
2 red bell peppers, chopped
12 cups frozen or fresh corn

Saute the onions until translucent (at least) in the bottom of the pot, add the garlic, chile, salt, cumin, sweet potato and water or stock and simmer until the potatoes are soft, add bell pepper and corn and simmer until tender. When the soup is done take 1/2 out and puree it in the blender, then put it back in. You can add 1/2 cup of minced cilantro if you like the taste.

Mushroom Barley (one of my favorites)

2 cups barley
3 1/2 quarts water or stock
2-4 large onions, chopped
1 lb. carrots, cut into quarters
1 1/2 Tbsp. fresh dill, minced
4 stalks celery, sliced finely
3/4 lb. shittake mushrooms
2 Tbsp. Tamari
Cayenne, Salt, and Pepper to taste
1/2 cup fresh parsley, minced

Cook the barley separately in water. Saute the onions in a little olive oil until translucent, or a bit brown, whatever you like. Add carrots & celery and saute about a minute more. Add the dill, mushrooms, salt and other spices and saute about a minute more, or until the mushrooms get soft. Mix with the barley adn add Tamari and parsley.

There you go, I'll post more later.
#16 of 45 Old 06-12-2006, 09:47 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention Pot Roast. The easiest thing ever to make!
#17 of 45 Old 06-13-2006, 01:52 AM

Yumm! These recipes look delicious I'll be trying the pasta salad one VERY soon, and the rest will follow closely!

Thanks mama!

Sarah loving wife to Scot...joyous mama to...
Emilee and Elaina and our newest addition Elliot Bell 9/15/10
#18 of 45 Old 06-13-2006, 08:23 AM

I'm very happy we have a deep freezer now. When I had my son, I couldn't make a lot of meals because we didn't have space in the fridge freezer. Here is the recipe I use for Lasagna. You can replace the meat with faux meat like Boca.

1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1 onion -- chopped
2 cloves garlic -- minced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 can diced tomatoes -- (29 ounce)
2 cans tomato paste -- (6 ounce)
12 dry lasagna noodles
2 eggs -- beaten
1 pint part-skim ricotta cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons dried parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1 pound mozzarella cheese -- shredded
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

In a skillet over medium heat, brown ground beef, onion and garlic; drain fat. Mix in basil, oregano, brown sugar, salt, diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Simmer for 30 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add lasagna
noodles, and cook for 5 to 8 minutes, or until al dente; drain. Lay noodles flat on towels, and blot dry.

In a medium bowl, mix together eggs, ricotta, Parmesan cheese, parsley and 1 teaspoon salt.

Layer 1/3 of the lasagna noodles in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Cover noodles with 1/2 ricotta mixture, 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese and 1/3 of the sauce. Repeat. Top with remaining noodles and sauce. Sprinkle additional Parmesan cheese over the top.

Bake in the preheated oven 30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
#19 of 45 Old 06-13-2006, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, for lasagna, I don't pre-cook my noodles, I just add about 1/2 to 1 cup of water to the finished product, just pour it down one side. Lazy lazy lazy... if anyone else wanted to skip the step I just thought I'd share
#20 of 45 Old 06-14-2006, 05:11 PM

Oooh, thanks for sharing recipes & ideas, everyone! I'm doing pretty much the things that everyone mentioned - enchiladas, lasagna, meatloaf, chili, probably some soups, muffins, egg & sausage breakfast burritos - not to mention stocking up on our quick & easy (but more expensive) prepared dinner items, like boca burgers, potstickers, and tortellinis.

myhoney's wife, would you share your banana oatmeal muffin recipe? I'm always on the quest for good muffins, I'll post one for lemon poppyseed muffins that freezes really well in exchange. Probably not as healthy, though!

Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
1 1/2 c. flour (sub up to 1 c. whole wheat pastry flour)
1/2 c. sugar
1 tbsp poppy seeds
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 c. sour cream
1/4 c. applesauce
1/4 c. vegetable oil (I've subbed more applesauce for this with okay results)
1/2 tsp lemon extract (haven't experimented yet with how much fresh lemon juice could be used instead)
2 eggs

Combine wet ingredients. Mix dry ingredients in separate bowl, add to wet ingredients, stir just until moistened. Bake at 375 for 12-14 min or until tops are lightly browned.

Also, here's a surprisingly good chicken recipe for the crockpot, I'm planning on freezing a few batches.

Chicken Cacciatore
2 medium onions, sliced thin
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 15-oz can diced tomatoes
1 8-oz can tomato sauce (I use premade marinara instead of plain tomato)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp celery seed
1 bay leaf
1/4 c. white wine (or red works okay too!)
6 boneless chicken breasts, or mix boneless breasts & thighs

Combine all ingredients in crockpot until done. Serve over pasta. (Don't precook chicken if freezing.) Yummy!

#21 of 45 Old 06-14-2006, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBMama
myhoney's wife, would you share your banana oatmeal muffin recipe? I'm always on the quest for good muffins, I'll post one for lemon poppyseed muffins that freezes really well in exchange. Probably not as healthy, though!
Ooo, those lemon poppy seed muffins sound good! I keep forgetting to pick up poppy seeds at the store.

I got this recipe from Allrecipies, but then I changed some things. Here's my version:

Oatmeal banana muffins

* 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 1/2 cups oats
* 2 teaspoons baking soda
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 5 large bananas, mashed
* 1 1/4 cup white sugar
* 2 eggs, lightly beaten
* 1/3 cup butter, soft
* 1/3 cup coconut oil (or omit and double the butter)

Top with (the topping is a little sweet... if I make again I'll omit)
* 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
* 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1 tablespoon butter

425* 20ish minutes. This made 26 muffins for me

Cara
#22 of 45 Old 06-14-2006, 07:10 PM

Thanks Cara! That sounds really good, I'll try it for my next batch! And streusel topping, mmm. The poppyseed muffin recipe came with instructions for a glaze, but you're supposed to make it after you defrost them, so I didn't include it because to me if you have to do something other than heat & eat that defeats the purpose of making them ahead!

#23 of 45 Old 07-10-2006, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBMama
Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
1 1/2 c. flour (sub up to 1 c. whole wheat pastry flour)
1/2 c. sugar
1 tbsp poppy seeds
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 c. sour cream
1/4 c. applesauce
1/4 c. vegetable oil (I've subbed more applesauce for this with okay results)
1/2 tsp lemon extract (haven't experimented yet with how much fresh lemon juice could be used instead)
2 eggs

Combine wet ingredients. Mix dry ingredients in separate bowl, add to wet ingredients, stir just until moistened. Bake at 375 for 12-14 min or until tops are lightly browned.
Making these tonight And wanted to bump because this has Piper's Mom's recipies in it.. I want to make some of them also

Mmmmm

Cara
#24 of 45 Old 07-11-2006, 10:32 AM

I haven't done a darn thing. Just something else to add to my list...

I wanted to direct you to this thread. It's a huge collection of crock pot recipes. Some are veggie and some are not.

BTW-I'm veggie and I was wondering how you guys handle it when people offer to bring you food after the baby is born and probably don't know you're veggie (like neighbors, etc.)? My dh is not veggie, so eventually things will be eaten, but it still leaves me hungry, kwim? Is it rude to just tell them I'm veggie?

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#25 of 45 Old 07-11-2006, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, thanks... but I wasn't able to pull up the thread. I got http://www.w3.org/Protocols/

Crockpot meals sound good! Or at least they will in the fall!

Oh, I wouldn't think it would be rude to tell them you're veggie. But I wouldn't be surprised if they show up with chicken or fish because, you know, 'chicken and fish aren't meat' LOL People are funny (and yes, I know what veg is...Just repeating what I've heard before :P )

Thanks!
Cara
#26 of 45 Old 07-11-2006, 12:51 PM

I'm trying this again: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=237665

#27 of 45 Old 07-11-2006, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhoneyswife
But I wouldn't be surprised if they show up with chicken or fish because, you know, 'chicken and fish aren't meat' LOL People are funny (and yes, I know what veg is...Just repeating what I've heard before :P )
LOL-yep, I gotten that a lot and being in the south I still get lots of veggies with bacon floating in them: , especially from my grandmother.

#28 of 45 Old 07-11-2006, 03:34 PM

Argh. I totally need to get a deep freeze so I can start cooking.
#29 of 45 Old 07-11-2006, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy
Worked! Thanks!
#30 of 45 Old 07-14-2006, 01:55 PM

howdy folks!

i am new to this forum but have enjoyed all the recipes... thanks for sharing. i am beginning the cooking marathon in order to stock our freezer, but i am wondering what things do not freeze well? what about hummus? has anyone found things that just don't work well in the freezer? gracias!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page