what position is your baby in? how do you feel about it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-20-2006, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my baby (#2) is presenting postierior (face up or sunny side up, they are best when head down facing toward your butt)
this kind of lay can make birth longer and more painful b/c the baby has to turn around in the birth while in labor in order to realy get out (altho some babies are born at home postierior and never do turn...this is usually fine, again it just takes the baby a lot longer to fit thru your pelvis this way, and it usually hurts pretty bad...that is what they call back labor)

so my labor with dd (altho unmedicated and sweet successful homebirth that it was) was very LONG and very painful when she turned...
she decided to turn during transition and it took her 10 hrs to do so...so i was in transition for 10 hrs with no contractions, as i felt her head VERY slowly turning from the postierior position across my tail bone.

and let me just tell you it was pretty tuff.

so i obviously don't want to go thru that again....altho research does say that postier second babies are quicker and less painful (your body already went thru it once)

i have been doing a lot of research about encouraging the correct position.
and have been doing the stuff i have read...i already can feel the baby pressing on my tail bone and it hurts...i do want him off of it!

but sometimes no matter how hard you try the baby will not move, usually b/c a different position can compromise the cord....

but as we are getting closer to our EDDs i thought i would be interesting to discuss whos baby is in what position, how you feel about it, and what you are doing (or not doing) about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2006, 11:26 PM

Dd was transverse until about 35 weeks when she turned head down and stayed down except for the 2 days when she decided to try out breech and decided it wasnt right for her. She came out posterior and turned to face the side as she crowned, she presented forehead first. Yep. back labor is rough!
This baby switches between transverse and head down, sometimes posterior sometimes anterior. Theres still a lot of room in there and 10 weeks to go so Im not worried at all. Tends to be transverse in the morning and head down by the end of the day too...
This time I might try some of the turning babies excersizes if the baby is still transverse near the end, but for the post part I figure they come out the way they choose to so I dont tend to want to interefere a lot.
Im also having a uc, so baby's position wont compromise my birth plan in anyway which is why I can be a little more laid-back about it than most.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:41 PM

Head down, back to my belly. Obviously I'm quite pleased with this. I wouldn't be too worried if it turned, and I don't think I'd try and turn it back.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:29 AM

Mine's left occiput anterior so I don't think I'm going to do much about it either. He/she seems to be fine since they've been that way since my last appt 2 weeks ago with some shifting but that's where it returns when I'm in bed at night.

Deb
Old 07-21-2006, 12:37 AM

I don't know the official descriptions! Deb, what the heck is left occiput anterior?? Saw a new midwife today - I just switched practices - and baby is a little past transverse, back to my belly with head nearest my left leg and feet poking me in the ribs on my right side. Yay! I also had a posterior first baby with a long back labor, and I could do without going through that particular experience again. Whenever I get down on the floor to read books or play with ds or sit down to read for myself for a minute, I've been on my hands & knees to encourage baby to face the right way. He's moving around quite a bit, though, so I know I'm not home-free yet.

Keeping busy with 2 boys & 1 girl ('04, '06, '08)
Old 07-21-2006, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBMama
Deb, what the heck is left occiput anterior??
Sorry... thought that might be easier. I had to look it up to get it right! :

Left facing my back and head down.

Deb
Old 07-21-2006, 02:26 AM

how do you tell if they are facing anterior or postier?????

dd was transverse up until about 2 weeks ago. she now is like a pendulum she swings for slighly to the right to slightly to the left and sometimes will go straight down. depends on the day....

i have no idea if shes facing the right way...mw hasn't commented so i guess shes good to go.....
Old 07-21-2006, 02:34 AM

dd was posterior. The back labor was awful, though at the time I just thought it was horrible luck that I'd thrown out my back on the day I went into labor. Duh!
I did some hands and knees pushing and she rotated and then came out pretty quickly. Feeling her turn was a sensation that I will never forget.

At the moment, this baby is frank breech, though he/she moves around a lot, so who knows! I am doing some pelvic tilts, but am not too worried at the moment.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinderliter
how do you tell if they are facing anterior or postier?????
I can vividly feel the baby's back along my belly. I feel it's squishy butt up near (or in as the case may be ) my right rib, then can follow it's firm back down my belly a bit.

When it was sitting facing my belly button in frank breech I couldn't feel it's back or anything really at all. But it was smaller than also

Cara
Old 07-21-2006, 06:19 AM

I've had two posterior labours, one posterior frank breech, and while the first one was really painful until DD turned... the second was so easy I literally didn't know I was in labour until he was crowning.

This baby is posterior and dropped right now, and while I'm practicing fetal positioning, I'm not really that freaked out by it. Baby knows best.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

Old 07-21-2006, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvons
Sorry... thought that might be easier. I had to look it up to get it right! :

Left facing my back and head down.

Deb
That was what I guessed after I thought about it for a bit...I think that is also how my babe is!

Keeping busy with 2 boys & 1 girl ('04, '06, '08)
Old 07-21-2006, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moma justice
my baby (#2) is presenting postierior (face up or sunny side up, they are best when head down facing toward your butt)
this kind of lay can make birth longer and more painful b/c the baby has to turn around in the birth while in labor in order to realy get out

but as we are getting closer to our EDDs i thought i would be interesting to discuss whos baby is in what position, how you feel about it, and what you are doing (or not doing) about it.
My little guy has been quite the mover lately. The end of June I determined he was head down, but not completely straight. His head was a bit to the left & feet a bit to the right.

Then on July 4th he flipped to head up. That was not fun. His turing was VERY uncomfortable & a little scarry since I didn't know what was going on. A week later he flipped again, but it must have been in my sleep because I didn't feel it & it took me a whole day to realize he was back in his head down but not straight up position.

Sunday the 16th (at my SIL's house again : ) he flipped back into a head up position. I had already planned to go to the chiro on Monday so he told me that what was hurting in my back is what needs to be corrected to allow baby into the correct position. It is the sacrioillia (probably spelled wrong ) joint where the hip & tailbone join up. He says if this is in the wrong position it can cause spasms in the uterus & baby has to keep searching for a comfy spot. So he corrected it & the next day baby flipped back into head down. And in fact now he has settled into the head down facing my butt position.

Long story short go see a chiropractor & ask if they have experience with the webster technique. It maked a world of diffrence for me. Baby is where he should be & my back doesn't hurt nearly as much as it did.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

Old 07-21-2006, 04:33 PM

Ever since I've been able to tell, mine has been head down, spinning around but mostly somewhere between LOA and ROA (back/butt on my front left, front center, or front right). Was feeling pretty happy about this. But in the past week, I swear it's gone breech and transverse and back again a couple times. I don't know if this is actually happening, or things just feel different to me with the baby getting bigger, or maybe is just a product of my nerves increasing lately in general... Going to discuss with MW on Thursday and try not to think about it til then, because it stresses me out to think it'll be breech and I'll have to deal with that. I was breech and that's why I was born C-section. I know there are chiros and other options and believe me, I will tackle that if and when I have to, but til then I'm trying not to think about it!

Mimi :yawning: the happy mama of one DD & one DS ; married to my sweetie.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:53 PM

It's head down, that's all I know....still wiggles a lot, the back flips from right to left frequently
Old 07-21-2006, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

fyi the best way to tell if the baby is face up or face back is that your belly button area should be rounded out and your belly button poking out if it is facing to the back (the ideal position)
if it is postierior and facing to the front...then your belly button area is dipped in kind of like a saucer and when you think about it you are feeling kicks at the bottom left and right and the top left and right (foot foot and hand hand)

these two links are pretty helpful with baby spinning advice:
http://www.spinningbabies.com/05site/index.html
http://www.homebirth.org.uk/ofp.htm

the major causes of postierior are sitting in a semi-reclined position (like on the couch with your feet up).

so i am avoiding that.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:56 PM
ish

Right Occipuat Anterior. I can feel and see his little behind and back along my right side, and can feel punches on the left.

Anyone else dropped? Almost two weeks ago the midwife said I was at a -3 station, and in the last week I've watched my belly drop even more. The pressure on my cervix is really uncomfortable - he's so low that when he turns his head I can feel it rubbing up against me.

I'm pretty sure that this one is determined to arrive in August.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:53 PM

with the pressure on the cervix does this happen even when baby hasn't dropped? i swear when i do squats i have a small bulge down there and its sore. plus she kicks (well hits i guess) my cervix and bladder at least 10 times each a day. never had that with ds and its odd. anyways its sore down there. not quite bad enough to sit on ice but enough to want it to stop.

baby is definatly in the right postion (i get all this stuff mixed up). most the time my belly button timer is popped out (as a friend would say the turkeys done!!!). i can definatly tell when she switches around....belly goes flat, bellybutton is flat and its all just hard. i guess i should have known that.

i am curious as to whether i have dialeted, effaced and what station she is at so that i know what kind of changes (and free no pain work my uterus is doing!!!) in the next few weeks but i don't want to ask and then have the mw always checking when i don't care....lol
Old 07-22-2006, 10:42 PM

Both my kids were posterior babes, and lets just say a jackhammer pounding ion your lower back isn't fun. As far as this baby is concerned I am thinking head down, as I have been having alot of pressure right above the pubic bone.

I feel for those of us who have posterior babies, it makes for one long miserable labor and delivery. Hopefully I'll know more as soon as I get to my next appointment.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:10 AM

I have no idea where baby is! Was meaning to ask at my next appointment, but forgot. Will try to remember Thursday.

I have felt what I believe to be hiccups a couple times, real low and to the left of center. I think I am being kicked in my right rib cage, but I don't know, maybe that's punches?
Old 07-23-2006, 06:58 PM

My little one is ROP but still moves from side to side (to LOP) depending on how I am lying down. The change in the shape of my belly button is usually my first indication that she has changed position.

I am wondering how you can tell if the baby has started to drop? I just had a check up with my midwife and she didn't mention that I might have started to drop, but sometime I think there is a visual difference. And I definately have that pressure feeling on my cervix that someone mentioned earlier, especially when the baby moves her head. Hmmmmm?

User Tag List