IS anyone pretty sure they're gonna end up with a C'section? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 07-31-2006, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clovergirl
your insurance won't cover a hospital birth attended by a CNM?
Im not sure, Probably partialy.. havent really checked though,Im not sure Im strong enough to go thru it w.out meds...and Im not sure if my hospital has "alternative" labor methods like a birth bar(or is it called a labor bar..the thing that helps you squat) they do have tubs in the labor rooms, but Im not sure how open they would be to all the "different stuff"...
#32 of 47 Old 07-31-2006, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleteapot
You know what the difference in skull size is between an 8lb baby and a 10lb baby?
Nothing!

!
Well, Im not so intimidated by the pressure anymore of having to resort to a Csection... just ready for SOMTHING to happen, lol..
#33 of 47 Old 07-31-2006, 12:22 AM

Honey, don't worry! You can do this, everyone can. You were MADE to birth, it would be very silly if our bodies created babies that cannot physically come out.

As for SD? True SD is extremely rare, but people often use the term to describe anything in the 'sticky shoulders' range (IE. Baby took a while between head and body, which can be perfectly normal, so doc freaks and calls it "stuck shoulder"). Change position, DON'T let anyone force you to labour on your back, eat, drink, move about! Squat, get on all fours, and trust yourself.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#34 of 47 Old 07-31-2006, 12:26 AM

This is exactly what my ob told me with my ds...we ran screaming away from there as fast as we could. My "oh no! the baby is measuring huge and we need to c-sec" was 7.11 Thank goodness I followed my own instincts and not some c/s happy ob. Also my dd was a vaginal homebirth, 9.10lbs and not even a tear or skidmark. The #1 way to ensure a smooth birth for baby is to wait until baby is ready to come out and has had the time he/she needed to get into proper positioning on their own.

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#35 of 47 Old 08-01-2006, 12:09 PM

I keep hoping for some news. I guess I said something earlier but didn't want to come across to harshly.

RUN AWAY. Get a new doctor. NOW.

run as fast as you can.

(from a woman about to have her third c-section)
#36 of 47 Old 08-01-2006, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves2wearbaby04
Im not sure, Probably partialy.. havent really checked though,Im not sure Im strong enough to go thru it w.out meds...and Im not sure if my hospital has "alternative" labor methods like a birth bar(or is it called a labor bar..the thing that helps you squat) they do have tubs in the labor rooms, but Im not sure how open they would be to all the "different stuff"...
If the CNM is delivering in a hospital, it's very likely that your insurance covers it AND the CNM would be used to delivering in that hospital and would know what is available and what's not. Also, you'd still be in a hospital, so meds would still be available! But you ARE strong enough to do it without meds, as long as you stay away from interventions such as pitocin. A CNM would be able to help you through it, I'm sure.

And I ditto changing providers right now. Even if you just find another OB. Learn about birth. Read birth stories here, read the Birth & Beyond forum, etc. Learn what you need to know to have a good hospital birth. It can happen, but you need to be educated! You've got a few weeks hopefully, so do all that research, and ask for help if needed.

For bf'ing - have you been to an LLL meeting yet? If not, GO THIS MONTH. Get in contact with an LLL leader and get to know her so that if you have any bf'ing problems, you'll feel comfortable calling her up and getting help. That's what they're there for, and they're FREE. So you have no reason not to call them for help. Alot of women end up not bf'ing because of lack of support in the hospitals and just not knowing that LLL is there for them. So get yourself to an LLL meeting ASAP (pregnancy is the best time to start going!!!!), and learn learn learn. You can do it! Also, you could ask the LLL leader for recommendations of OBs/CNMs/etc. in your area - they might be able to recommend someone more natural childbirth friendly! That's how I found my OB.

Back to the birth thing... You said you can't afford a homebirth midwife. Have you called any and asked about doing a sliding scale? Seriously, many midwives will cut you some slack if you really can't afford them. My midwife has in her paperwork that she never wants anyone to choose not to homebirth due to finances. I know she does births at very low cost for some women who just don't have the money. It doesn't hurt to TALK to a midwife and ask about finances. And remind yourself that women have been giving birth without pain meds for thousands of years. You can do it too. It's easier if you're in the right environment, not being given dilation checks and not being forced to lay in bed, etc. Just trust yourself and your body, and remember that the pain doesn't last forever, and there is a wonderful prize at the end. Focus on that prize.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#37 of 47 Old 08-02-2006, 11:30 AM

Hey: not in your ddc, but saw this.

This is the most comprehensive list of references I know of on the safety of operating to prevent dystocia. To clarify, there is a 999/1000 chance that surgery is unnecessary to keep you and your baby safe.
My story: ds2 was born at home at 38 weeks weighing 8lb 13oz and his shoulders got stuck. You'll notice, he was NOT clinically considered a large baby. The most likely cause of the dystocia was that I consciously pushed him out instead of waiting until I didn't have to think about it, so he hadn't properly rotated. In terms of development, though, he was clearly a full month behind my two 42 weekers, is a far more delicate child and suffers from asthma and eczema. Coincidence? maybe. Probably not. For me, 38 weeks is premature.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#38 of 47 Old 08-02-2006, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscopup
If the CNM is delivering in a hospital, it's very likely that your insurance covers it AND the CNM would be used to delivering in that hospital and would know what is available and what's not. Also, you'd still be in a hospital, so meds would still be available!

I actually talked to my reg OB about options for birthing vaginaly, and told her that I wasnt so comfy with the idea of a C-section just "b/c he was big". I told her I didnt feel like my pelvis was small, Im by no means" small boned" and DD was 8.5 lbs...I asked her about a squatting position with a birth bar, and she said that was definately an option as long as I wasnt under an Epidural...now my fears are its gonna KILL me( not literally) from the pain... I know you can die from pain.. but the anixety alone is starting to get to me...what will it ACTUALLY feel like when he comes on down.. I think I can handle the contranctions...but what about crowning that BIG OLE head..and his shoulders!?!?!!?!?I know after that its all slippery and squishy...but ! but! but!!!!

For bf'ing - have you been to an LLL meeting yet? If not, GO THIS MONTH. Get in contact with an LLL leader and get to know her so that if you have any bf'ing problems, you'll feel comfortable calling her up and getting help. That's what they're there for, and they're FREE. So you have no reason not to call them for help.

Im actually excited to meet( again, once with DD) the Lactation consultant in my hospital Im gonna be going to. Apprenatly shes like the #1 woman to see for feeding problems in Alabama, and Ive met with her a few weeks ago, and she remembers me from DD( Shame on me for not doing EVERYTHING she said to make it work, but thats a different thread ) and said that she is covered with my insurance under the hospital care for 5 visits, and then she would work with my $$ situation if I still needed her!!So that Im pretty comfy with!

Back to the birth thing... You said you can't afford a homebirth midwife. Have you called any and asked about doing a sliding scale? Seriously, many midwives will cut you some slack if you really can't afford them. My midwife has in her paperwork that she never wants anyone to choose not to homebirth due to finances.

The thing about this is, an ACTUAL home birth is illegal in Al with an "attendant" and Im certainly in NO way prepared to deal with the CLOSE minded ness of DHR( CPS) when it comes time to go have baby checked out and give the story of"OOPS! couldnt get there fast enough.." and possibly have my childrens lives distrupted if they were placed elsewhere, not to mention the attorney fee's that Im sure I would incurr if I needed one to battle them...But there are 2 LOVELY midwifes who have a birth house over the state line about 60 miles from my hometown, who do prenatals here locally at their herbal/wholefoods store, who I will definately use if theres a Nexttime... Igained a little knowledge after I had DD, this time around Ive gained EVEN MORE with DS... am definately prepared to"battle" Dh and his opinions and help him see why its important to ME! next time..

thanks for your thoughts though!
#39 of 47 Old 08-02-2006, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack
My story: ds2 was born at home at 38 weeks weighing 8lb 13oz and his shoulders got stuck. You'll notice, he was NOT clinically considered a large baby. The most likely cause of the dystocia was that I consciously pushed him out instead of waiting until I didn't have to think about it, so he hadn't properly rotated. .

Do you mean instead of pushing when you felt ready too, you were pushing at 10 cm's dilated or something?? I know they say that baby will birth on their own with contractions w.out any pushing...is this what you mean?!?
#40 of 47 Old 08-02-2006, 04:41 PM

Quote:
The thing about this is, an ACTUAL home birth is illegal in Al with an "attendant" and Im certainly in NO way prepared to deal with the CLOSE minded ness of DHR( CPS) when it comes time to go have baby checked out and give the story of"OOPS! couldnt get there fast enough.." and possibly have my childrens lives distrupted if they were placed elsewhere, not to mention the attorney fee's that Im sure I would incurr if I needed one to battle them...But there are 2 LOVELY midwifes who have a birth house over the state line about 60 miles from my hometown, who do prenatals here locally at their herbal/wholefoods store, who I will definately use if theres a Nexttime... Igained a little knowledge after I had DD, this time around Ive gained EVEN MORE with DS... am definately prepared to"battle" Dh and his opinions and help him see why its important to ME! next time..
thanks for your thoughts though!
Actually the homebirth is not illegal at all. At worst it's only illegal for the midwife to attend you. The legal issues only relate to the midwife, not to the mother, parents or baby in any way.

-Angela
#41 of 47 Old 08-03-2006, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Do you mean instead of pushing when you felt ready too, you were pushing at 10 cm's dilated or something?? I know they say that baby will birth on their own with contractions w.out any pushing...is this what you mean?!?
I'm not flapjack, but I wanted to add my experience.
With DD (hopsital birth), I had gotten a spinal block which was starting to wear off when I got to 10 cm, but not enough that I felt any sort of urge to push yet.
They directed me to push, so I did...for 2 1/2 hours, ugh.
I just thought that pushing SUCKED, and that was that.

Well, fast-forward to DS's homebirth...I didn't know how much I was dialated, I was just taking each contraction as it came, working through them one by one.
The midwife and her assistant were back making my bed when I had a contraction and all of a sudden felt like I was going to throw up.
You know, that 'my stomache muscles are going to do what they want, regardless of me' feeling?
Anyway, I ended up NOT throwing up, but rather 'throwing down'. That was my body pushing, I didn't even realize it!

So every contraction I just waited for my body to do that. I was definitely pushing, but it wasn't the concentrated, on purpose effort I had made with DD for the entire 2 1/2 hours (I only pushed for about 20 minutes with DS).

ONE contraction with DS I started pushing more on my own (like I had been with DD) and the light turned on! THAT'S why it was so hard with DD!!
I was pushing on my own, without waiting for my body to be ready...needless to say I didn't do that again!

Pushing isn't easy, but when I waited for my body to do it when it was ready it was definitely a GOOD thing, compared to the exausting ordeal it was the time before.

Sorry that got so long, HTH a little
#42 of 47 Old 08-04-2006, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Well,
I thought Id give an update to all who offered such great comments or encouragement...

I contacted my Insurance company, they will pay for a CNMW...BUT there is only ONE! in a 3 state area that they will cover"in network"...and she is basically saying that yes, she agree's with me...theres NO reason at all to just jump into a section... she feels that if I go into labor on my own, and dont get stuck for hours on end with the "labor curve" (make NO PROGRESSION whether it be effacement, or dialation, or baby moving down... then we might do alternative things, like walk, different positions, etc, etc,) then theres no reason my body cant birth a big baby... she feels confident letting most anyone TRY and go from there...

SOOOO now my descision rests on a whether to trust this lady...or FIGHT my Dr.. and just make it clear that I want to try to have my baby vaginally before I agree to a section...
#43 of 47 Old 08-04-2006, 11:49 PM

: Insert subliminal messages here: Go with the midwife, go with the midwife, go with the midwife.

Deb
#44 of 47 Old 08-05-2006, 12:45 AM

I'd definintely go with the midwife. The doctor has already proven to you that she doesn't listen to you, talks over you, brushes off your concerns, and is STRONGLY suggesting a c-section. While you are laboring (and in a vulnerable state), you want someone there who will support your desire for a vaginal birth. Not someone who will do everything she can to sabotage your efforts and threaten with a c-section. The midwife sounds like she will be much more supportive of your desires.

Kimberly
#45 of 47 Old 08-06-2006, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Well,
I thought Id give an update to all who offered such great comments or encouragement...

I contacted my Insurance company, they will pay for a CNMW...BUT there is only ONE! in a 3 state area that they will cover"in network"...and she is basically saying that yes, she agree's with me...theres NO reason at all to just jump into a section... she feels that if I go into labor on my own, and dont get stuck for hours on end with the "labor curve" (make NO PROGRESSION whether it be effacement, or dialation, or baby moving down... then we might do alternative things, like walk, different positions, etc, etc,) then theres no reason my body cant birth a big baby... she feels confident letting most anyone TRY and go from there...

SOOOO now my descision rests on a whether to trust this lady...or FIGHT my Dr.. and just make it clear that I want to try to have my baby vaginally before I agree to a section...
that is great that you called her! she sounds so helpful. another option would be whoever homebirth midwives use for a backup OB in your area. i've had good success finding an OB that way. usually i find this by calling doulas or bradley childbirth instructors. but when possible i use a CNM, and i LOVE it. the care is so personal.

i suggest to you the book Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin. there are lots of positive birth stories in there.

also consider hiring a doula. many of them work on sliding scales as well.

i know the position you are in and i have been there done that. it is tough, but if you switch to someone who listens to you, you will be soooooooo glad.
#46 of 47 Old 08-06-2006, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadzia's_mommy
-there is one story I read recently in particular about a woman who had a vaginal birth of an over 11lb baby after 2 c-sections.
okaY, this is OT but that story is about my friend diana!!!!!!! she went to midwifery school with me.

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#47 of 47 Old 08-06-2006, 02:55 PM

Hi~
Just want to quickly share that my with my first dd I had a similar experience. My OB (whom I really liked) towards the end kept thinking my dd was going to be a "huge" baby, meaning 10+ lbs according to the late ultrasounds. She commented a few times that she didn't know whether or not my frame could birth such a large baby, etc, and that I should realize that I could definitely end up with a c-section.

It really freaked me out because up until then everything had been going great with my pregnancy. I ended up vaginally delivering a very average size baby at 8lb 6oz.

I definitely think that hearing that I "possibly couldn't" deliver a my baby vaginally was not good for my labor. If a pregnancy is going healthy all the mama needs to hear is POSITIVE.

I am pregnant and my midwife said that ultrasounds up until 20 weeks are very accurate for sizing but after that it can be off by 1lb or more either way...not accurate at all.

Blessings to you with your decision! Keep positive thoughts.

Mama to Ainsley (7/01) , Finley (10/06) and Jade (10/06)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page