Emergen-C - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-11-2006, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, wow, I love this stuff! This is better than caffeine! LOL! I just bought it as recommended here, and it's great.

Just checking... megadoses of vitamin C, I know, can be used to cause abortions, but it's fine in later pregnancy as far as everyone knows, right? I did a quick search and didn't find much on it...

Thanks!
Cara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 08-11-2006, 05:18 PM

I've been drinking it in the mornings and evenings because my midwife wanted me to drink gatorade to keep my electrolites up in our 100+ degree weather. I just didn't want the sugar that is in gatorade. I LOVE it. I haven't found anything that says it would be a problem. My daily fluid intake is about 1/3 emergen-C, 1/3 water and 1/3 RRL & Nettle iced tea.

Deb
#3 of 10 Old 08-11-2006, 05:19 PM

BTW my favorite flavors so far are Cranberry and Tropical Punch. Not a big fan of the orange flavor in general.

Deb
#4 of 10 Old 08-11-2006, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhoneyswife
Just checking... megadoses of vitamin C, I know, can be used to cause abortions, but it's fine in later pregnancy as far as everyone knows, right?
You would start to feel really sick before you reached 'unsafe' levels afaik. Let's see, signs of vit C overdose are diarrhea, extreme thirst, nausea/headache, cramps. Since ascorbic acid is water soluble it is hard to really take too too much, but if you start feeling sick you can stop right away, drink plenty of water, and be fine again quickly. I think you need to be careful if you have a history (personal or family) of kidney stones.

If you look up 'ascorbic acid toxicity' or something like that you'll find more info.

IBCLC, LLLL, Mom to 3, obsessive baker, where's my coffee
#5 of 10 Old 08-11-2006, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojumi
Since ascorbic acid is water soluble it is hard to really take too too much, but if you start feeling sick you can stop right away, drink plenty of water, and be fine again quickly.
That is exactly what I was going to say!!

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#6 of 10 Old 08-11-2006, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Gotcha, thanks! I knew that it was water soluble, but I'm just a paranoid pregnant woman, ya know? Wow, I LOVE this stuff! I'm SUCH a dork!

Cara
#7 of 10 Old 08-11-2006, 07:16 PM

I have heard that too much Vit C during pregnancy can make the baby rely on that constant high level and then, after delivery, to have some scurvy-like problems because the Vit C level drops a bunch. I will try to see if I can find a link about this.

I personally only use it when I have or am fighting a cold, and plan to use it during labor, but I don't use it daily, nor do I take Vit C daily (other than what is in my prenatal).

I am having a hard time finding a good link for the risks. Here, however, is something saying that the concern is overstated:

http://www.mothernature.com/Library/...cfm/Id/2929001
#8 of 10 Old 08-11-2006, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I generally try not to take anything more than I could reasonably get from food, and it looks like this may fall into that category. Bummer! Though I'm guessing it's better than the coke-a-day that I've been drinking lately... : Maybe I'll just limit it to 1 a day... I think I've had 3 packets today, maybe a bit over the top!
#9 of 10 Old 08-11-2006, 08:02 PM

Yeah, I think the key here is moderation! I have some on hand, mostly for labor to help boost energy if I labor long or through the night. I also keep it on hand for those really hot days when I feel like my body is just not holding enough water. Also makeing sure to not take vit C from any other source except the food I eat. I originally bought a few flavors just so i could try them before labor but they came in handy during that hot spell. As long as you are listening to your body and stop if you feel you need to you should be fine.
#10 of 10 Old 08-11-2006, 08:56 PM

Don't forget Emergen-C has other vitamins and minerals too, so you could overdose on those as well. Not trying to be an alarmist, but I limit my intake to one a day on rare occassions.

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page