natural self induction... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 56 Old 08-28-2006, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojumi
Even if sex is out I think orgasm is helpful in getting the uterine muscles going.

I had a small bout of 'false' labor around 32 weeks, brought on by lots of walking in the heat and good spicy indian food (or so I surmise). So if I 'go long' this time around, I'm ready for a long walk and some good food, lol.

With my 1st I saw an accupuncturist at 41.5 wks and went into labor 12 hours later.
I'm considering a reflexologist.

orgasms help? well then, I'm on the right track

would anyone recommend a glass of red wine and a bath? someone suggested trying it but I'm not so sure that would be a good idea
#32 of 56 Old 08-28-2006, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotamidnight
the only thing I'm trying is using a breast pump from time to time, and only when I'm already having contractions. It's try sex, but I"m single so thats out:

My contractions tend to stop and start a lot though - is this normal?
I was told for first time mothers it was completely normal.
#33 of 56 Old 08-28-2006, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jposey
I just wanted to say I was a size 6-8 when I got pregnant. Before I got married I was as low as a size 1-3 and my son was 10lbs 2 ounces. He came out just fine I'm glad I was with a midwife and that we didn't guess at his weight otherwise I may have scared myself into a c-section.

If you must try something, go with sex and a breast pump! Like everyone else said though, don't let your doc bully you into an induction. And I second the Thinking Womans Guide to a Better Birth!
I've also tried the pump, how long should I pump for?

both breasts or just one?

the first time I tried I pumped 5 minutes on each breast? Should I be doing it longer?
#34 of 56 Old 08-28-2006, 06:46 PM

Re wine and a bath, sure I'd try it. I probably will on Wednesday (to have baby over the long weekend ), just in case it relaxes me enough to start labor.

I think I've heard to pump until you get 'tingles' or something, the letdown refex, because that's what has the hormones (oxytocin; real Pitocin) in it.

Cara
#35 of 56 Old 08-28-2006, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetaspickles
would anyone recommend a glass of red wine and a bath? someone suggested trying it but I'm not so sure that would be a good idea
Yes! If nothing else it will help you to relax & sometimes that is all you need to do. If you are tense it can keep your cervix tense too. All the methods I know have been listed, but I also wanted to suggest positive visualizations. Play out your ideal birth in your mind, maybe even several diffrent variations of it. And talk to your baby, tell him you are ready for him to come out & explain why you want to avoid medical induction. May seem strange to some, but it can't hurt.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#36 of 56 Old 08-28-2006, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetaspickles

Hmmmmmm, I dunno about that?!? It would seem to me that that would slow down labor coming. I've been told by my midwife to drink a glass of red wine to see if things STOP, not start.

Deb
#37 of 56 Old 08-28-2006, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl
Yes! If nothing else it will help you to relax & sometimes that is all you need to do. If you are tense it can keep your cervix tense too. All the methods I know have been listed, but I also wanted to suggest positive visualizations. Play out your ideal birth in your mind, maybe even several diffrent variations of it. And talk to your baby, tell him you are ready for him to come out & explain why you want to avoid medical induction. May seem strange to some, but it can't hurt.
I'm open to anything

I actually tried talking to him about it last night when no one was around

I'll try the meditation
#38 of 56 Old 08-28-2006, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvons
Hmmmmmm, I dunno about that?!? It would seem to me that that would slow down labor coming. I've been told by my midwife to drink a glass of red wine to see if things STOP, not start.

Deb
hmmmm, I'll do some additional research on it thanks for the info
#39 of 56 Old 08-28-2006, 07:16 PM

LOL, I think the red wine is to STOP when it's preterm labor, which can be caused by overexertion. It is to START labor when your body's tenseness is inhibiting your ability to progress. At least that's how I understand it.

I stopped contractions that I had when I was around 25 weeks (they were caused by hauling lots of firewood in the heat) with beer, but it's the same theory. We just don't normally have wine in the house. I suppose it's all about regulation. Alcohol is my drug of choice. LOL! Just kidding! I just couldn't resist...

Cara
#40 of 56 Old 08-29-2006, 12:45 AM

My advice is to stop thinking and worrying about this. If you are stressed out about anything, the baby is going to come later than sooner. Your doctor giving you a deadline after which he is threatening you with something that scares you is not going to put you into the right frame of mind to let you birth naturally.

If you are tense and worried, the baby is going to stay in the safest place: your womb.

Stop worrying. Stop thinking of this as a deadline. Make peace with 41 weeks 5 days or a number you are comfortable with and go have a glass of wine and read a good book.

Stop worrying. This baby will come when it comes and you will birth it just fine. His head isn't going to be any bigger in 10 days than in 5.

The reasons they give a four-week window on 'mature' are many. We don't really know when you conceived. We don't know how long your body and your baby need to cook to maturity. We don't know how long it takes this baby to develop mature lungs. Etc. Etc.

Stop worrying. Your baby is going to be fine. Your due date is not a deadline! It's beyong ridiculous for a doctor to purse his lips and pout b/c you passed his stupid arbitrary deadline. YOU FLUNK! YOU GET AN 'F' b/c you carried past his stupid date.

Just breathe. Relax. Stop worrying. Listen to some fun music, watch a ditzy movie. Drink some wine. Have a bath. Breathe.
#41 of 56 Old 08-29-2006, 01:04 AM

yeah that!

i wish i had listened! I knew my baby would come when ready! she did at 41 weeks 5 days. really. It was so hard.... but really. enjoy these last few days- go read a book watch a movie- your life will never be the same. ever.
#42 of 56 Old 08-29-2006, 01:05 AM

I totally agree with LeosMama, your Dr should not be stressing you out like this...the baby's skull (the important part ) will not magically grow several inches in a week, or even two. Right now is just the fat putting-on stage, and -as we all know- fat squishes!

Trust your body and your baby to come at the right time Mama!
#43 of 56 Old 08-29-2006, 05:32 PM

Hi Desirae! Just lurking by to say hi...

And that I think your labor will go much more smoothly if you let this baby come out when he's ready. A lot of times, induction ends up leading to c-section. The contractions tend to be a lot more painful, which causes the woman to want an epidural. Epidurals frequently lead to a failure to progress in labor, and ultimately, a c-section.

Sex totally worked for me. Once the contractions started, a hot bath sped things up.

-Candice
#44 of 56 Old 08-29-2006, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayapetunia
Hi Desirae! Just lurking by to say hi...

And that I think your labor will go much more smoothly if you let this baby come out when he's ready. A lot of times, induction ends up leading to c-section. The contractions tend to be a lot more painful, which causes the woman to want an epidural. Epidurals frequently lead to a failure to progress in labor, and ultimately, a c-section.

Sex totally worked for me. Once the contractions started, a hot bath sped things up.

-Candice
hey candice!

I don't want an induction for that reason those contractions I think would be too much for me to handle and it would ruin any chance of trying to go natural

also, you're right it does increase the chance of c-section by up to 30%

I took a nice warm bath today

We tried having sex last night and it has never hurt so bad, we even used lube :...It hasn't been that long since the last time

I think Daryl's head is too low
#45 of 56 Old 08-29-2006, 06:08 PM

Try perineal massage. If it's hurting alot, you may want to do some conscious stretching excercises to get your yoni to relax and open up. You know the feeling of peeing, when you push gently down with your pelvic floor? Do that and stretch your perineum open.

So maybe don't have sex with penile penetration if it hurts too much. There are other ways to have a nice orgasm. And yes, the semen is good for your cervix, but a good orgasm is good for you in so many ways!
#46 of 56 Old 08-29-2006, 11:14 PM

a lot can happen between now and the induction. i hope you reschedule it (how much bigger, relatively, could the baby get in a week or two really?), but you could always do castor oil the day before. i believe personally that castor oil is safer than pitocin.

also do you know if you are dialated any? could you ask for your bishop's score? do you know if the baby is anterior or posterior?

what about evening primrose oil vaginally to soften your cervix. can't remember if that was mentioned or not.

i hope you don't feel that i'm being unsupportive by stating that i think you should wait on the induction. you don't have to show up. truly. but i don't know your whole situation. i just hope your OB isn't bullying you. do what YOU feel is best.
#47 of 56 Old 08-30-2006, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichole
a lot can happen between now and the induction. i hope you reschedule it (how much bigger, relatively, could the baby get in a week or two really?), but you could always do castor oil the day before. i believe personally that castor oil is safer than pitocin.

also do you know if you are dialated any? could you ask for your bishop's score? do you know if the baby is anterior or posterior?

what about evening primrose oil vaginally to soften your cervix. can't remember if that was mentioned or not.

i hope you don't feel that i'm being unsupportive by stating that i think you should wait on the induction. you don't have to show up. truly. but i don't know your whole situation. i just hope your OB isn't bullying you. do what YOU feel is best.
I think people have misunderstood the post. I DO NOT want an induction.

I've tried EPO vaginally.

My doctor doesn't do internal exams so I don't know if i'm dialated or effaced at all, but with as many contractions as I've been having since 36 weeks I'd be flabbergasted if I wasn't.

I'm not sure if he is anterior or posterior.

I bought the castor oil today. I've tried everything mentioned and castor oil was the last resort before the doctor intervenes on friday.

I'm so frustrated and anxious and tired and sick of everything hurting.

pregnancy was great up until about 3 weeks ago.

I thought I might give birth prematurley because of my small size and stature but here I am past my "due date" (I say that because I know the exact day of my LMP and know which day he was conceived)

everything is ready all we need is the baby here.

i'm so sick and tired of everyone asking me since I was 37 weeks, "is he here yet?", "when is he gonna come?", "have you had the baby yet?", "still no baby?" EVERY single day . my friends, my family, my husband, his family and now the doctor is putting me on this timeline with the threat of an induction being held over my head

so I do feel pressured to go into labor on my own which is the reason I was asking the question.

I just really can't take anymore of this! I'm ready to just have him here so people can start asking me a new set of idiotic questions

I really wish I had gone with a midwife and a birthing center instead but at least I know better for next time

anyways sorry for the rant but thanks for letting me vent
#48 of 56 Old 08-30-2006, 03:00 AM

hugs mama. I would NOT do the castor oil till next week. The dr doesa NOT need to 'intervene" it is your body your baby. most first babies let to come when they want come 8 days late. Your body has nothing to do with the time the baby will come. your baby will not outgrow your womb. i promise. could you call a local mw and just voice your concerns?

do no- do not get induced unless reaallllyyyy medically needed.

oh- change your machin

this is desirae- no baby yet- bye!
#49 of 56 Old 08-30-2006, 03:01 AM

just checked out your pics- adorable!!!!! you'll be fine.
#50 of 56 Old 08-30-2006, 03:05 AM
Banned

Due dates suck.

Plain and simple. they SUCK.

Your Dr seems like he wants to hit the cabin one last time before winter sets in. Screw that noise.

You're a ftm 41-1 is normal for FTM's..

Tell your Dr to get stuffed.
#51 of 56 Old 08-30-2006, 06:56 AM

I know you're getting frustrated HUG HUG HUG. Once you reach your due date, it's pretty hard for anyone to say the right thing because they just don't get it! When my daughter was due pretty much everyone had a date that I was told not to birth on "It's Michael's birthday in 3 days" "Don't forget I'm going OS next week, we need the baby out before then".... OMG I ended up ignoring the phone and avoiding everyone. Quite frankly I became a bitch because I needed to!
What it the doctor really rushing for.... is he due for holidays? Does he have a social event?
Like I said, I know you're getting impatient but at the moment the baby is inside you (and quite happy no doubt) you're not having to feed, change or get up all hours of the night. Turn off the phone, don't answer the door, get heaps of dvd's, chocolate etc and veg out.
#52 of 56 Old 08-30-2006, 08:50 AM

it is so hard to be where you are, i know from experience.
but so soon you WILL have a baby.
you said that you should have gone to a midwife/birthing center.
i know it sounds crazy, but could you call one and explain the pressure you are getting to induce and see if they will take you on last minute???
sounds like you don't have any medical risks, and i think there are definitly midwifes out there who would have a good long meeting with you to get to know you and then would take you on.
or maybe you could hire a doula to have some extra support in this.
someone to keep reassuring you that you and the baby are FINE.
in my experience i would say MOST 1st time babies are late. until 42 weeks i wouldn't recomend anything, and as you are seeing, nothing natural works when your baby/body IS NOT READY YET.
i hope this dosen't seem harsh, i needed to be reminded of these things at 41 weeks with #1. she was born at 42. it is such a difficult and emotional time. hugs to you.
#53 of 56 Old 08-30-2006, 09:56 AM

I'm sorry. I misunderstood. For some reason I though that you wanted the induction, but now I see you just feel pressured into it.

Please do not go. Just tell him at the next appointment that you would like to be induced at 42 weeks instead (or whatever you feel comfortable with). They cannot fire you as a patient at this point in your pregnancy. If you can't do that, then call and cancel the induction over the phone. If you can't do that, then just don't show up. They can't make you! I'm sorry you feel unsupportive so maybe that is not an option for you.

You could also call around and try to find a new provider. You never know...drs, hospital midwives, famiily practioners, you never know.
#54 of 56 Old 08-30-2006, 11:13 AM

you know what i think? i think your doc probably wants to induce you friday so that their holiday weekend isn't interupted. seriously. :

if you don't want an induction, tell the doc no, i'm not ready for that type of intervention. you aren't even 41wks yet. and keep in mind that doing the castor oil *is* a method of induction. you can call it natural, but it's still messing with your body.

i feel for you i really do... i have been in your shoes. with my first DD i was seeing a midwife practice at a freestanding birth center. after i went past 41wks they started suggesting i try castor oil and the like, but i really didn't want to. then at 41wks 6days they had me go in for a non-stress test and an ultrasound. the U/S showed "low" levels of fluid. they decided that because the next day i would be officially overdue and since the fluid levels were "low" that i would have to deliver in their back-up hospital and that it would be an induction the next morning. never mind that i had ben contracting all day...

well, i went home and had a good cry. i was terrified at the thought of induction. a couple hours later my water broke spontaneously and labor came on with a bang. i avoided the induction but the bullying i felt really effected my birth. i was fine, my DD was fine. she just wan't ready to come out before then!

your baby will come out, i promise. take the next couple of days to relax and enjoy the time you have left.

*mama to c 2/2000, v 2/2004, p 9/2006, and h 12/2012*

one of the mamas behind BeanTreeBaby.com ...Gear for Growing Families!

#55 of 56 Old 08-30-2006, 05:31 PM

Clover...'bullying' is really the right word here!
#56 of 56 Old 08-30-2006, 11:14 PM

I've heard giving yourself an enema will get things going. Anyone try that?

I'm at 38 weeks now and have already planned to see an acupuncturist at week 40 if need be. My midwife is so unconcerned about the due date which helps me relax.

hugs to ya.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page