natural self induction... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-25-2006, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
anyone know of any natural self induction methods?

I am facing a hospital induction which I really have no desire for because of the strong contractions I hear pitocin can bring on...

I was hoping one of you lovely ladies had a suggestion on something that might bring on a natural labor?

I'm afraid if this little guy gets too big they'll have to c-section him out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2006, 11:15 PM

i gave myself a long deep foot/ankle rub last monday night- 2 1/2 hrs later i was hving ctx.

Not sure if that caused it or not...
Old 08-25-2006, 11:17 PM

He's not going to get too big.

And, you can always just say no to an induction. Are you late? Is there a reason for the induction? It's not even September yet.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

I hear there is a pressure point back there that can bring on those contractions..

how hard/deep do you have to rub and where was the area located?
Old 08-25-2006, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyboys
He's not going to get too big.

And, you can always just say no to an induction. Are you late? Is there a reason for the induction? It's not even September yet.
I'm was due in august.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:22 PM

well heres a few that i have heard
black/blue cohash.....many on the fence about whether they would do these though
sex, sex, sex.....dh should love you.
oral sex.....dh should love you even more (this is supposedly 10 TIMES as strong as reg. sex)
walking alot....i think for this to benefit your supposed to walk like 1-2 miles all at once....i can hardly make it to the car so i don't know how well it works!!
nipple stimulation....was it 2 min on then 3 min off? supposed to start feeling a milk let down sensation i think
evening primrose oil.....i am not sure the exact info. some say it doesn't induce some say taking it regularly helps you start. ????
then of course theres always the chiro, accupuncture, massage route.
maybe mental "ok baby its time to come into the safe world" stuff. you stressing about induction makes it an "unsafe" feeling and your body holds the baby in????

ok thats all i can think off.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:23 PM

Oh I see he's due in a couple of days. So, then you have two weeks past that before the "evidence" suggests that induction is a reasonable idea. Unless something else is going on?

Is he your first? Rest assured that most first babies are not born early or on time.

I bet you're anxious though! I was so ready to meet my first!
Old 08-25-2006, 11:30 PM

just saw that your the newbie who posted just a few minutes ago!!

are you with a midwife or an OB? your not "due" until the 27th so you have technically up to TWO weeks after that until you "MUST" be induced. (commen calculation for the medical community. don't flame me cause i am saying it!!)
you DON"T have to go to an induction one or more days after your due date. your caregiver may not be happy but YOUR the mom!! besides this is your first and the average time for first babys is 41 weeks 1 day i think!! my first was about a week overdue (11 days by my calculations, 5 by est. due date and it was a boy too).
Old 08-25-2006, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyboys
Oh I see he's due in a couple of days. So, then you have two weeks past that before the "evidence" suggests that induction is a reasonable idea. Unless something else is going on?

Is he your first? Rest assured that most first babies are not born early or on time.

I bet you're anxious though! I was so ready to meet my first!
yes he is the first.

my doctor said I have until of september 3 to deliver otherwise he's scheduling the induction.

I'm hoping it won't have to come to that.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinderliter
just saw that your the newbie who posted just a few minutes ago!!

are you with a midwife or an OB? your not "due" until the 27th so you have technically up to TWO weeks after that until you "MUST" be induced. (commen calculation for the medical community. don't flame me cause i am saying it!!)
you DON"T have to go to an induction one or more days after your due date. your caregiver may not be happy but YOUR the mom!! besides this is your first and the average time for first babys is 41 weeks 1 day i think!! my first was about a week overdue (11 days by my calculations, 5 by est. due date and it was a boy too).
I know alot of people will skip the induction but my fear is that his head will get too large and they will have to c-section him out, which I think is worse than an induction.

I have a small pelvic opening

I'm not sure if it matters or not but theres is also family history of having to c-section for that reason...
Old 08-26-2006, 12:02 AM

Did he give you any strong medical, evidence-based reason for wanting to induce you so early?

Are you interested in skipping the induction?

I highly recommend The Thinking Woman's Guide to Pregnancy. It might make you feel much better about your body's abilities!
Old 08-26-2006, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

I think it really depends on how large he is measuring
Old 08-26-2006, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetaspickles
I think it really depends on how large he is measuring
I assume your OB is determining the baby's size using ultrasound. In case you aren't aware, using ultrasound to determine a baby's size is notoriously inaccurate later in a pregnancy. They are frequently off by a pound or two.

Also, the pelvic opening is not a set size. It's a series of bones working together and an OB cannot truly predict how much you will or will not spread while you are in labor. Most women do not produce babies that they cannot birth vaginally.

If you decide to be induced, your OB could start off with stripping your membranes (they insert a finger to separate the sac from the wall of your uterus a bit). That will often put a woman into labor and is something they can just do in their office and you can go home afterward. As I understand it does often cause cramping for a while.

Another option is ingesting some castor oil. I've heard some women fry up some eggs with it or put it in orange juice to make it more palatable. Warning that it will usually cause diarrhea. But by moving the digestive system like that, it can sometimes trigger labor.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:12 AM

The baby's skull is in plates. They have not fused yet at this point. When the baby comes through your pelvis, the plates slide under each other to accomodate the head through the opening. Your tailbone also swings open to widen the space. Measurements and scans mean *NOTHING*. Unless you have some serious gestational diabetes going on, your body will not make a baby that it cannot birth.
Stop letting your dr. scare and bully you! Mama, remember that this is YOUR body, YOUR baby, YOUR birth. He wont "let" go go past dates and wants to schedual an induction? Say "No Thank You!" and be on your way.

Please leave your poor baby ALONE in there and let it come out when its ready!
Old 08-26-2006, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AesSedai
I assume your OB is determining the baby's size using ultrasound. In case you aren't aware, using ultrasound to determine a baby's size is notoriously inaccurate later in a pregnancy. They are frequently off by a pound or two.
no, he is going by measurments.
Old 08-26-2006, 02:30 AM

every woman shows differently. measuring your tummy then?

Induction is very risky. You will be able to birth your baby mama.
Old 08-26-2006, 02:52 AM

Hon, he will NOT be too big!!! This is why we don't find prehistoric neanderthal skeletons with giant baby skeletons inside.

I have pituitary dwarfism and I gave birth naturally. What does this mean? I stopped all growth and development at age eight. My puberty had to be forced by a huge whack of hormones, but because I hit it artifically, certain things didn't happen. One of those was hip development: I never got hips. Ever. Even as an adult, AFTER having a baby, I wear girls underwear because I can't fit into even the smallest women's sizes.

But I can birth naturally.
Why? Because our bodies are MADE TO!!! We stretch, we separate, we squat and open our pelvic outlets by another 33%... we can do amazing things - your body will birth this baby just fine.
Oh, PS - in weeks 37 through 42 the average weight gain in a fetus is 2/3 of a pound, ultrasounds are off by as much as 2lbs, and fundal height estimates in no way tell you if you're having a "big baby" or not. They change depending on position, fluid levels and a number of other factors.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

Old 08-26-2006, 03:09 AM

I tried herbs and acupuncture when I was pregnant with my daughter. Neither worked, and I too was facing an induction. At week 41, day 6, I drank castor oil to induce labor. Most disgusting thing I've ever had. Had to do it twice-- first time it was mixed into OJ, second time it was mixed into a milkshake. The milkshake was slightly easier to swallow. Makes me sick to even think about it now. Anyway... it did work for me. I drank it once around noon-- it made me sick but no contractions. Drank it again around 4 or 5pm-- and started having contractions around 8pm. Makes you really sick-- awful diarrhea. But apparently the prostaglandins from having all the diarrhea can often bring on labor. At least that's what our midwife advised. Anyway, it was really gross, but just wanted to put it out there as something else that you can look into at least. If you do a search on "castor oil labor induction" you'll find all sorts of info on it. Good luck!
Old 08-26-2006, 03:13 AM

If you do decide to try natural induction, I wouldn't wish castor oil & orange juice on anyone! I tried with my last pregnancy and only had half a dose. I had severe bowel cramps and the runs.. I became sooo sick that I felt unbelievabley guilty and paranoid that I had hurt the baby. I didn't go into labour for another week!

Also, a friend of mine does reflexology. Apparantly there is a place on your ankles that will bring on labour if rubbed.... maybe look it up on the net? Or find a reflexologist!

Feels like you'll be pregnant forever at the moment I'm guessing! Trust me, you'll be holding your baby soon enough.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:16 AM

I second NOT doing castor oil induction... aside from being painful, it's also risky. Not as risky as pitocin, certainly - but risky. Why take the chance?

Just say NO to your induction! put your foot down!!!

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

Old 08-26-2006, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleteapot
Hon, he will NOT be too big!!! This is why we don't find prehistoric neanderthal skeletons with giant baby skeletons inside.

I have pituitary dwarfism and I gave birth naturally. What does this mean? I stopped all growth and development at age eight. My puberty had to be forced by a huge whack of hormones, but because I hit it artifically, certain things didn't happen. One of those was hip development: I never got hips. Ever. Even as an adult, AFTER having a baby, I wear girls underwear because I can't fit into even the smallest women's sizes.

But I can birth naturally.
Why? Because our bodies are MADE TO!!! We stretch, we separate, we squat and open our pelvic outlets by another 33%... we can do amazing things - your body will birth this baby just fine.
Oh, PS - in weeks 37 through 42 the average weight gain in a fetus is 2/3 of a pound, ultrasounds are off by as much as 2lbs, and fundal height estimates in no way tell you if you're having a "big baby" or not. They change depending on position, fluid levels and a number of other factors.
Babs, I swear to God I want to have a t-shirt made up of this entire quote. It is so hard to convince or even get someone to listen to the fact that our bodies work, especially if they have a history of being told that the women in their families "can't have babies naturally". I never have a really good answer, but this is great. I just read it outloud to DH!
Old 08-26-2006, 02:30 PM

Ugg i wish the medical comunity would stop planning our births on there watchs.... ok that was my little hormonal moment i'm done now.

on that note after reading all the self induction stuff i came across something called polly jean 5 week formula. Has anyone ever heard of it? or used it. I have also heard of using red rasberry leaf tea (from my midwife)
lisa
Old 08-27-2006, 08:04 PM

I used black and blue cohosh successfully with my first pregnancy. My water proke and I was having NO contractions. I used the cohoshes, and she was born less than 12 hours later.

This time, I started black cohosh in small doses at 37 weeks, just trying to help my body make some early progress. In the 3 ears between my kids, there has been a lot of "newer" evidence against blue cohosh. It appears to be linked to post-partum hemmorage.

Just for the record, I was 2 cm, 30% effaced on Friday 8/18 at 11 AM with baby still floating. She stripped my membranes, which did not bring on contactions. I had a pedicure, just because it would feel good. Went home and had sex with DH. By the time he was asleep, I was having GOOD contractions. Jace was born 4 hours later. Nurses all said it was any combination of those things. Stripping might have helped. Pedicure could have hit some of those pressure points. Sex surely didn't slow things.

The black cohosh comes in a tincture or extract from Henry's or most natural food stores. You can start small, like 5 drops in some tea, juice, water a couple times a day. If you don't feel any contractions, increase to 10 drops, 2-3 times a day. Slowly increase, up to 30 drops per serving. But if your baby is not ready, most likely anything you start will stop.

Good luck!

Peace
Old 08-28-2006, 02:12 PM

Quote:
I have a small pelvic opening

I'm not sure if it matters or not but theres is also family history of having to c-section for that reason...
Ok I hope I don't get flamed for this, but I just wanted to say while VERY rare, this is possible. : I have a friend who pushed for 10 hours, at home w/ a mw (my mw in fact) & still ended up being transfered to the hospital for a c-sec, because her pelvic opening just was not big enough for this baby. I only mention this ONLY because you said their is a family history of this.

Now with that said...Again it is VERY rare that this is the case. Also I am not one for inductions I think they are generally done for the wrong reasons. And I would also be concerned about how your OB is getting these measurements & determining that your baby is too big for your body. If he knows about your familys history of c-sec he may just be relying on that rather than really paying attention to YOUR body. Also talk to him about pushing in diffrent positions such as squatting to help widen the pelvic outlet.

Either way I don't think that I was much help, but I wanted to say good luck with what ever you do decide to do. All you can do is gather info, weigh all options & decide what is best for you. Hopefully some 'natural induction' techniques work & you have a wonderful, peaceful labor & none of this nonsense matters.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

Old 08-28-2006, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl
Ok I hope I don't get flamed for this, but I just wanted to say while VERY rare, this is possible. : I have a friend who pushed for 10 hours, at home w/ a mw (my mw in fact) & still ended up being transfered to the hospital for a c-sec, because her pelvic opening just was not big enough for this baby. I only mention this ONLY because you said their is a family history of this.

Now with that said...Again it is VERY rare that this is the case. Also I am not one for inductions I think they are generally done for the wrong reasons. And I would also be concerned about how your OB is getting these measurements & determining that your baby is too big for your body. If he knows about your familys history of c-sec he may just be relying on that rather than really paying attention to YOUR body. Also talk to him about pushing in diffrent positions such as squatting to help widen the pelvic outlet.

Either way I don't think that I was much help, but I wanted to say good luck with what ever you do decide to do. All you can do is gather info, weigh all options & decide what is best for you. Hopefully some 'natural induction' techniques work & you have a wonderful, peaceful labor & none of this nonsense matters.
I didn't mention the family history to him.

I was looking for natural self induction like rasberry leaf tea and things along those lines to help things along that way I could avoid the hospital induction.

my membranes are being stripped friday so that might help?
Old 08-28-2006, 05:10 PM

Quote:
I didn't mention the family history to him.

I was looking for natural self induction like rasberry leaf tea and things along those lines to help things along that way I could avoid the hospital induction.

my membranes are being stripped friday so that might help?
Did you try the red raspberry leaf tea? I just started drinking that again since my honey is home from out of town and it gives me contractions every time. I actually stopped drinking it now because it felt like I was rushing things along and I didn't want to do that.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:20 PM

I just wanted to say I was a size 6-8 when I got pregnant. Before I got married I was as low as a size 1-3 and my son was 10lbs 2 ounces. He came out just fine I'm glad I was with a midwife and that we didn't guess at his weight otherwise I may have scared myself into a c-section.

If you must try something, go with sex and a breast pump! Like everyone else said though, don't let your doc bully you into an induction. And I second the Thinking Womans Guide to a Better Birth!
Old 08-28-2006, 06:33 PM

the only thing I'm trying is using a breast pump from time to time, and only when I'm already having contractions. It's try sex, but I"m single so thats out:

My contractions tend to stop and start a lot though - is this normal?
Old 08-28-2006, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhoneyswife
Did you try the red raspberry leaf tea? I just started drinking that again since my honey is home from out of town and it gives me contractions every time. I actually stopped drinking it now because it felt like I was rushing things along and I didn't want to do that.
I was told someones midwife recommended starting it at 36 weeks, so I did. I started drinking 1-2 cups a day.

at 38 weeks I started drinking about 4 cups daily.

it will give me contractions but they are irregular and not painful and then they just stop.

I've been walking also since 36 weeks...I'd say 3-4 miles in the evenings.

sex? whats that? haven't gotten any since 38 weeks...he's always "too tired" and I hate begging or trying to bribe him

I have also tried Evening primrose oil internally but I'm not sure if it has helped or not because my doctor does not do internal exams.

I'm not so sure about the castor oil I hear it can cause the baby to release a merconium stool in utero but I am very close to giving in anyways

as PP stated, I'm also have those pesky contractions that start and then stop :
Old 08-28-2006, 07:25 PM

Even if sex is out I think orgasm is helpful in getting the uterine muscles going.

I had a small bout of 'false' labor around 32 weeks, brought on by lots of walking in the heat and good spicy indian food (or so I surmise). So if I 'go long' this time around, I'm ready for a long walk and some good food, lol.

With my 1st I saw an accupuncturist at 41.5 wks and went into labor 12 hours later.

IBCLC, LLLL, Mom to 3, obsessive baker, where's my coffee

User Tag List