. . . annnnd we're back! Someone remind me about hospital births? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-06-2006, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's been so long I don't even remember what goes on there. But my choices are hospital with a doctor I'll meet later this week or HBAC and that's not a choice at all, given our circumstances. I've already got HR in a tizzy about my FMLA paperwork and how I'll have to do it and my disability papers all over again.

My momma buddies last time around told me to make my birth plan as short as
possible - can anyone give me a critique on this one?

(The epidural part is just in case - if it means I get out of a repeat c-section, I'm all for it. I'll just make sure they turn it off before pushing time this time.)

Labor
I would like to be free to walk around during labor.
I wish to be able to move around and change position at will throughout labor.
I would like to be able to have fluids by mouth throughout the first stage of labor.
I would prefer to keep the number of vaginal exams to a minimum.
I do not want an IV unless I become dehydrated.
I would like to to wear contact lenses or glasses at all times when conscious.

Monitoring
I do not wish to have continuous fetal monitoring unless it is required by the condition of our daughter.
I do not want an internal monitor unless our daughter has shown some sign of distress.

Labor Augmentation/Induction
I would prefer to be allowed to try changing position and other natural measures (walking, nipple stimulation) to help labor along.
Anesthesia/Pain Medication
I realize that many pain medications exist — I'll ask for them if I need them.
I would like to have a walking epidural.

Cesarean
Unless absolutely necessary, I would like to avoid a Cesarean.
I would like my partner present at all times if our daughter requires a Cesarean delivery.
So I can view the birth, I would like the screen lowered just before delivery of our daughter.
If our daughter is not in distress, our daughter should be given to my partner immediately after birth.
I would prefer all bikini scars, on the old scars if time permits

Episiotomy
I would prefer not to have an episiotomy unless absolutely required for the baby's safety.
I would appreciate guidance in when to push and when to stop pushing so the perineum can stretch.
I would like a local anesthetic to repair a tear or an episiotomy.
Delivery
I would like to be allowed to choose the position in which I give birth, including squatting.
Even if I am fully dilated, and assuming our daughter is not in distress, I would like to try to wait until I feel the urge to push before beginning the pushing phase.
I would like to have our daughter placed on my stomach/chest immediately after delivery.

Immediately After Delivery
I would prefer that the umbilical cord stop pulsating before it is cut.
I would like to hold our daughter while I deliver the placenta and any tissue repairs are made.
I would like to hold our daughter for at least fifteen minutes before she is photographed, examined, etc.
I would like to have our daughter evaluated and bathed in my presence.
I plan to keep our daughter near me following birth and would appreciate if the evaluation of our daughter can be done with our daughter on my abdomen, with both of us covered by a warm blanket, unless there is an unusual situation.
If our daughter must be taken from me to receive medical treatment, my partner or some other person I designate will accompany our daughter at all times.
I would prefer to hold our daughter rather than have her placed under heat lamps.
I do not want a routine injection of pitocin after the delivery to aid in expelling the placenta.
I prefer to sign waivers acknowleding that we do not want eye ointment or any immunizations after birth.

Postpartum
I would like to have 'room in' and be with me at all times.

Breastfeeding
I plan to breastfeed our daughter and would like to begin nursing very shortly after birth.
Unless medically necessary, I do not wish to have any bottles given to our daughter (including glucose water or plain water).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2006, 11:25 PM

Gee, I think you covered all the bases :-)
In the hospitals here, the RNs go through a great deal of trouble to make sure that birth plans are followed and that the mom is always consulted so she is part of the decision making process. I have experienced this by being on both sides of the delivery room. I think the most important thing is knowing how you feel about certain decisions and then being proactive about what you want. Best of luck to you!
Old 09-06-2006, 11:26 PM

I would personally add two things...
That you don't want to be offered any pain meds
And no pacifiers

other than that it looks like you covered everything
Old 09-07-2006, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, ladies. The hospital I delivered my first child at has a c-section rate of 50% ... scary. Scarier is that it's not the highest in the area, too!

I do have a few good vibes about this place - they have a lot of momma services, and when I was in for my "emergency" scan, they actually *asked* as part of registration if I'd taken birthing classes, and when I said "Yes, based on ..." the nurse said "okay, so no pain meds", LOL.

Quite a contrast to showing up at my first child's birth and having the plan laughed at and having narcotics given without informed consent.

Pacifiers, eh. Didn't kill my first kid, and we just took it out whenever they plugged 'em up. Assuming I don't section she'll be on on me until we walk out of there anyway (and they were a life saver with four days of bili lights and blankets an event I really don't want to repeat but may be likely if I section again!).
Old 09-07-2006, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

And does anyone think "unless medically necessary" is strong enough for the glucose water/formula? We ran into the jaundice last time and my encounters with the nurses were ... not good (again, though I'm not ever setting foot in THAT hospital again) with lies and dire predictions about how I was harming my child ...

Unless prescribed by a physician and deemed medically necessary by gross unavailability of the mother, I do not wish to have any bottles given to our daughter (including glucose water or plain water).

If artificial feeding is made necessary by such extreme circumstances, it shall be provided by my partner after my partner is instructed in finger-feeding.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:19 AM

Another good thing to put in your birth plan is that you request the nurses not ask you to rate your pain on any type of pain scale.

It is a national requirement that hospitals (i.e. nurses) ask patients about pain - no matter what area of the hospital they are in. It's stupid that this requirement applies to Labor and Delivery areas - of course people are in pain! I just think it's nice if you're not being constantly reminded of it by the nurses - if it's in your birth plan to not ask you, they won't have to or be able to.

Becki
Old 09-07-2006, 05:58 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Your birthplan looks like the one I made when I had my son in '04. Sadly, it was completely ignored by the OB-GYN on call that night. (My regular doc was fine with it). If I had to do things over I would have shortened the birthplan to read:

I want to be in complete control at all times. I'm having a baby, not dying. If I'm asked to do something or offered something and I refuse, then my decision is final. I spent my entire pregnancy researching everything from electronic fetal monitors to routine IVs so I know what I'm refusing. If I say no, then drop the subject immediately.

I wonder if that would have worked? :

~Nay

Reneé, 34 year old mom to Antonin 8/04 and Arianna 9/06  (6 weeks) 5/08. Married to Matt since 6/03 .  
Old 09-07-2006, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynn
And does anyone think "unless medically necessary" is strong enough for the glucose water/formula? We ran into the jaundice last time and my encounters with the nurses were ... not good (again, though I'm not ever setting foot in THAT hospital again) with lies and dire predictions about how I was harming my child ...

Unless prescribed by a physician and deemed medically necessary by gross unavailability of the mother, I do not wish to have any bottles given to our daughter (including glucose water or plain water).

If artificial feeding is made necessary by such extreme circumstances, it shall be provided by my partner after my partner is instructed in finger-feeding.
I was going to suggest something like this, especially the finger feeding. Also you don't have anything about directed pushing, don't know if that is a big deal to you or not.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

Old 09-07-2006, 03:37 PM

Yours looks just like my hospital birth plan from '04 (which was followed exactly!). 2 other quick suggestions- no manual extraction (pulling on the cord/pushing on your abdomen) for the placeta delivery and just in case the baby is a boy (not sure how sure you are that it is a girl)- mentioning that you don't want him to be circumcised if that is your preference.

J - Birth doula and *very* grateful mama to bouncy Q, fancy F, and mighty F!

Old 09-07-2006, 03:52 PM

I just mentioned the pacifier because my Pediatrician said if they are offered one within the first 2 weeks it can hamper breastfeeding... I am totally all for them though, especially after falling asleep with my finger in DD's mouth for months because we had decided not to use them...we finally got some and I'm totally using them this time. Although I think I'll wait a bit before introducing one.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:46 AM

Just wanted to say - I "cribbed" part of your birth plan for our birth plan this time 'round. We didn't have a birth plan last time and things went very well anyway but since we're throwing in delayed cord clamping and natural placental delivery --- and I'm a bit more informed about hospital protocol this time --- thought it would be best to have a birth plan this time.

(Plus, dh is worried he'll forget something so this is as much for him as for the hospital staff!)

Not all who wander are lost.

User Tag List