night time diapering - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-07-2006, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
are you changing at night for pee? and what is working?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2006, 02:11 PM

have to admit i'm using disposables at night the only cloth dipes i have for him at this size are indian prefolds (using bummi whisper wraps for covers) and they just dont hold that much. he gets so upset every time i change his diaper that i hate to do it 2+ times in the middle of the night, and i'd have to with the prefolds. so i have some 7th generations that i use at night. i dont think its so bad to not change them every single time he pees, but i dont like to let the diaper get super full either. can't wait til he's over 10lbs cuz i have 20 kushies ultra aio's now that i think will last the night!!!
Old 10-07-2006, 02:12 PM

We change her 2ce during the night (midnight-6am). I wouldn't want to let her go w/o a change. Some nights she doesn't even really wake for the change. I've also perfected my technique and can nurse her while changing her, which keeps everyone calm ... ! When my other two stopped having bms during the night & they were in to bigger more absorbent diapers we phased out the nighttime diaper changes.

IBCLC, LLLL, Mom to 3, obsessive baker, where's my coffee
Old 10-07-2006, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojumi View Post
We change her 2ce during the night (midnight-6am). I wouldn't want to let her go w/o a change. Some nights she doesn't even really wake for the change. I've also perfected my technique and can nurse her while changing her, which keeps everyone calm ... ! When my other two stopped having bms during the night & they were in to bigger more absorbent diapers we phased out the nighttime diaper changes.
this is what i've been doing- changing 2x a night. wakes the whole house up. how do you bf while changing...please explain. are you using pf?
Old 10-07-2006, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichole View Post
this is what i've been doing- changing 2x a night. wakes the whole house up. how do you bf while changing...please explain. are you using pf?
I don't know what 'pf' is? I have a changing table, which I know many people find obsolete but I love not having to bend over to change baby. The level of the table is high enough that I can just lean over and keep the nipple in the baby's mouth while using both hands to change the diaper (or dh can assist, but it's actually easier to do solo). So while baby is nursing or doing lazy suckles in bed I pick her up with me, go to changing table, set her down still nursing, change diaper while nursing, then carry her back and glide into bed still nursing, and fall back asleep. I started doing this with baby#2. Of course baby has to be cooperative and put up with some jiggling around but mine all seem to be so enchanted by the breast that they'll put up with a lot to keep at it.

IBCLC, LLLL, Mom to 3, obsessive baker, where's my coffee
Old 10-07-2006, 04:03 PM

I've been using sposies at night too. DS really doesn't like to be wet, so I pretty much change him at every feeding (usually every 2 hours or so). He pees alot

I've found that he tolerates being wet in a cloth diaper alot less than a disposable, so in the interest of everyone's sleep I'm just using cloth during the day.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:38 PM

We use fuzzi bunz all day and night. Last night she went from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. without a change. She was just so content in bed with me (which is unusual...she NEVER sleeps well at night) so I was hesitant to change her. I didn't want to risk waking her up. Plus, there were no poops. Being in a wet diaper for a while won't hurt them, right? I mean, the FBs are very absorbent, so it's not like she was laying in pee...

Mama to DD 06' Partner to Sasa
Old 10-07-2006, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojumi View Post
When my other two stopped having bms during the night & they were in to bigger more absorbent diapers we phased out the nighttime diaper changes.
When do babies normally stop having poopy diapers at night? this is something to look forward to! is there a general time frame? dd is over the poop-a-feeding phase but still has one at night.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:12 PM

we are in sposies all the time. at night it kinda depends on how much she is up. last night i got 5 whole uninterrupted hours of sleep and she didn't need to be changed for that. sometimes its one of THOSE nights where shes nursing every 2 hours or hour and then i know that if i try to stretch it i am going to have leaks. i try to pay attention to the smell when i pick her up. if i can smell the poop then theres enough there to need to be changed but sometimes its just a wet fart (tmi) and i am not going to change her and risk getting her into an awake mode just for that.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:20 PM

I use pockets at night and don't change unless she poops. The fleece keeps her dry. When she wants to nurse I make the sniff control :
Old 10-08-2006, 08:25 PM

We are using kissaluvs size 0 & I change him just before bed & then once a night at around 3am. And then of course 1st thing in the morning.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

Old 10-09-2006, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

well looks like i'll be changing dipes at night for a while. even the sposie leaked after 6 hrs. he just drinks a ton! it is hard but i will just have to get in the habit. usually we nurse in sidelying and drift back to sleep. we are at 3 weeks old and havent had poop at night for a few days. probably will get better soon.

pf = prefold

User Tag List