Life with a baby week of 10/15 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 10-19-2006, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Dh was a preemie back in '73 and he is a big fan of humming noises to get to sleep as a result I have to negotiate a date when we are going to put the fan back in the cupboard in the autumn as I start waking up with a sore throat and a chill from having it on all night.

It off and put away now already though because its too cold for Frida and I can't sit up and feed her in the night with the fan or or I'll freeze myself!!

Frida likes to hang out and stay awake til about 1am which is ok sort of if I can sleep in the morning. Last night I had to holod her tight in the crook of my arm to get her to sleep after being on and off the boob for about an hour and generally complaining. I think this is the kind of fighting sleep you others are talking about. She grumbled for about 30 seconds and slept til 8am!!!! By which time I had made a milky puddlein the bed from not having fed her for so long. That led to a fierce let down first thing in the morning and then we ended up in our crazy cycle of feeding choking burping sicking......

On a positive note a good friend came over today and did some things around the house, her dd and mine played well together, we prepared lunch between us and had a good chat. I realise now that if Dh didn't work from home and I didn't go to school to collect ds I could be very lonely at home as I haven't really had enough energy to get out to visit people and no-one has come to me as they are all busy (or think I might have a lot on my late I suppose)

My sleep debt is catching up with me now and I think I might be starting to look like the mother of a newborn! Just in time for my neice's christening on Sunday. Oh well. She is just lovely though I can't say it enough
#32 of 42 Old 10-19-2006, 01:07 PM

I am a white noise addict too. Neither hubby or I can sleep without it. The other dcs have humidifier/fans in their rooms too. They don't create a draft and in the summer when the heat is off, we run them dry. We also have a sleepy time cd that they listen to every night. The same one since they were infants. I think that consistent sounds send a message to the brain... oh yeah, time to sleep now.
J slept a 4 hour stretch again last night. This is a good thing. I had such an awful day yesterday, complete with weeping and me cruising the ppd board wondering if I should go on prozac.
Today is better though. Must be that sleep need. Also, I start school tomorrow again. half dreading it, half looking forward to it. I have an exam today too on line, that I did not study for. Finding it hard to gain my focus! So, there is a lot of other stress going on too. Trying hard to let the little things go and just enjoy J.
Haven't tried the washer/dryer thing yet. How convenient that the bath is in the same room Cara! I would love that. Out of the tub and throw the laundry in the wash and pull the clothes to wear right out of the dryer. That would save so much time!
#33 of 42 Old 10-19-2006, 08:48 PM

Had my pp checkup. Nothing to bad! DIdn't even have to have a pap or anything. She asked me if i was eating enough since i had lost a little over 20 lbs. I looked at her kinda funny! I still want to loose another 10-15() and she said well don' go any more than that! i know its going to be really hard for me to drop that weight so i am not worried!

Luckily the birth center had the happiest baby on the block dvd and they let me watch it! I knew most of it but i think the tummy/side laying and the jiggleing the head will really really help when i can get it mastered. i hope her on/off switch works as well!! I know feel ok if i let her stay in the swing for the entire night or day since she wants/needs that motion and i am not going to be a bad mother for using what i have! no family around and no friends!

i like the white noise but didn't have a dependency on it until 2ish years ago. for some reason men have a huge dependency on the fan!! its not that horrible to be dependent on it though. could be dependent on worse!! but with this subject i am kinda feeling like i might come down with soemthing. my right ear and back of my throat hurts and my right eye was scratchy/blurry a few days ago. going to drink some tea and stay warm and hope that nothing comes of it!
#34 of 42 Old 10-20-2006, 01:10 PM

I haven't read all the post, but for the mama's with babies having sleep issues/fighting sleep have you tried wearing the baby to sleep. Gavin was a horrible sleeper so I really feel for you. Fortunatly Rhys isn't too bad, but when he is fighting it I pop him in the sling & bounce around the house for awhile & that always does the trick. Also swaddeling helps at night too. GL!!

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#35 of 42 Old 10-20-2006, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, I started pumping 2 days ago so I could have a little stash just in case and something to give her in the truck (been taking her out of her seat when we can't pull over : ) and now I'm in major oversupply mode! And breastpads are a joke! I thought I'd be all smart last night and I used a bra with breast pads (normally sleep topless). Yeah. Well, after the 11 o'clock nursing I didn't refasten my bra or put my pad back (fell asleep) and on the other side it just totally soaked through anyway and soaked my pad, bra, shirt, and sheets. Oh, and my baby. Her collar was all covered in dry milk today. So, basically I just added a breast pad and bra to my laundry pile..

Oh well, I'm sure my body will work itself out. Just thought I'd share that I think breast pads are a total joke, for night time at least.

Cara
#36 of 42 Old 10-21-2006, 02:03 PM

I woke up wet too (again) and it took me a moment to realise it wasn't wee! In the past I have found sleeping on a towel to be a better solution than pads. i just need to be able to recall that by the time I get to bed and take one out of the cupboard
#37 of 42 Old 10-21-2006, 08:21 PM

Poor Elisabeth...she's had such a rough week. She didn't take ANY naps during the day for a whole week, slept horribly at night and was in so much pain everyday and night that she was screaming her head off and we couldn't console her. It was horrible and we were so exhausted and emotionally drained.

Turns out she has a really sensitive tummy and is senstive to lots of foods. I was eating turkey burgers for dinner and she was reacting really badly to those. We saw a kinesiologist today and she told us all the things that Elisabeth will react to. There are a lot. I'm basically limited to a handful of veggies, fruit, rice, potatoes and plain meats. Poor girl!

I can't remember if I brought this up yet, but does anyone else's babe hate the car? Elisabeth SCREAMS her head off. We live about an hour from everywhere we go, so it's not fun. We pulled over 3 times in 3 miles to comfort her. She was crying so hard she was gagging and hardly breathing.
So I feel like I am stuck in the middle of nowhere in the house without anything to do. Bummer...

My mother is coming up tomorrow to help out, so I am excited to finally get some things done around the house

Mama to DD 06' Partner to Sasa
#38 of 42 Old 10-21-2006, 08:36 PM

my goodness!! i would have broken down with no naps! i hope you are able to introduce the foods you love soon!

my dd hated the carseat for quite a while. first off either the "level" thing on it is messed up or the carseat is supposed to be sitting " up" quite a bit so we shoved a folded up towel under the back and made it recline a bit more and that helped her a little bit. she still cried for a while longer when she was awake cause she couldn't see much. i got a rear view mirror/light/pretty object for her ( i can see her in my rearview but it also plays music and has lights if needed) which i think helped. though my ds HATES the music : (he cries). shes 6 1/2 weeks now and is doing much better. still fusses a bit but i also bought a swaddling wrap that goes in the carseat safely and i can swaddle her while in the carseat which also helps her be calm. so a combo of all that stuff makes driving bearable and i live in the city!
#39 of 42 Old 10-21-2006, 09:36 PM

We had Elaina weighed this week! Up to 9lb3oz from 7lb 8oz at birth. Yay breastmilk!!!!

We're having a bit of sleep trouble at night. Lots of fussing and fidgeting and gas. I'm not really sure what to do about it and it's pretty random. We have thrush, but I don't really have any symptoms the only reason I know is that Lainey has a white tounge. She seems to be really fussy at times when she eats too, but I'm not sure if it's because of the thrush or not. A friend consulted her essetial oils handbook and said that peppermint oil is supposed to get rid of yeast so we've been trying that. If it doesn't go away in the next day or two we're going to be using Gentian Violet. I'm just not looking forward to the purple nipples and baby mouth!

Sarah loving wife to Scot...joyous mama to...
Emilee and Elaina and our newest addition Elliot Bell 9/15/10
#40 of 42 Old 10-22-2006, 10:17 AM

I had to use the gentian violet with dd #2. Oh, what fun, but it does work, very quickly. Man, that stuff stains though, so be careful. Not even bleach will conquer it. My dh used to giggle quite a bit over the purple nipples. I told him to be quiet or we would use it on his "nether-regions"
So far we have been lucky this time and haven't had any issues.
#41 of 42 Old 10-22-2006, 03:53 PM

so, how white does the tongue appear with thrush? i now have this phobia of it ... felix does have some white on his tongue but it reminds me of what my tongue looks like when i wake up and havent brushed my teeth yet, and its not a super thick coating or anything. can anyone give a more specific description of what to look for in his mouth or a website that would tell me what to look for?

other than that, we have had two wonderful bath experiences now ... as mentioned previously for some reason he was HATING bath time up until these last two times. had two upset bath experiences with him taking a bath with me before he decided he really did enjoy bath time (had been using an infant bath tub before that and i think he didnt like being only partially in the water) we had some wonderful smiles and cooings in the bath last night:

his weight gain has been great the last couple weeks. went from 8lbs 11oz to 9lbs 6oz in 9days, then the next 7days he got up to 10lbs 1oz!!! he's been a bit of a slender baby (guess i was as a baby) but now seems to be getting some lovely rolls and chubs for me to love on
#42 of 42 Old 10-23-2006, 01:18 AM

nak

wowee she is nursing the boobs off me! about every 1 1/2 hours. i hope my supply goes up quickly cause i can't handle this for long. almost 7 weeks so shes due 4 a growth spurt. will have to see what she weighs on tues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page