Confessions of a new mom - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 11-02-2006, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK-Let's spill. I know we confessed while pregnant, so I would bet we have something to share now, too.

1. I'm eating way too much chocolate right now. J is going to grow up to be the world's biggest chocoholic.

2. J sleeps on her tummy. Yeah, I know, I know. But she SLEEPS that way. If I put her on her back she sleeps no more than 15 minutes. She has good head control and no other SIDS risk factors, so we're OK with her on her tummy.

3. I secretly like the smell of baby BF poo. Pretty gross, huh?

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 11-02-2006, 11:59 AM

Ok, I bet I win the "Worst Mom moment ever" prize. Guess what I did...Lily and I were at the office about a week ago and she had fallen asleep in her (totally evil) bucket seat. I had unbuckled her so she would be a bit more comfy and put a blanket over her. When it was time to leave I picked her up and off we went. We live 30 minutes away from our office. I got all the way to our driveway and realized that I had never re-buckled Lily. I was mortified. It is by far the worst thing I have ever done in my life.
At least now I know I will never make that particular mistake again.
#3 of 21 Old 11-02-2006, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper's mama View Post
Ok, I bet I win the "Worst Mom moment ever" prize. Guess what I did...Lily and I were at the office about a week ago and she had fallen asleep in her (totally evil) bucket seat. I had unbuckled her so she would be a bit more comfy and put a blanket over her. When it was time to leave I picked her up and off we went. We live 30 minutes away from our office. I got all the way to our driveway and realized that I had never re-buckled Lily. I was mortified. It is by far the worst thing I have ever done in my life.
At least now I know I will never make that particular mistake again.

I hate to admit it, but I did the very same thing with DD1. And you're right, you'll never make that mistake again.....That is until DD1 is 5 and you forget to buckle her in her booster because you just had baby and you forget everything! At least she's old enough now to tell me I forgot before we drve any where!!:

Sarah loving wife to Scot...joyous mama to...
Emilee and Elaina and our newest addition Elliot Bell 9/15/10
#4 of 21 Old 11-02-2006, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

I did it with dd1 also :

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#5 of 21 Old 11-02-2006, 04:44 PM

well - I bet I win.

I nursed Trinity while driving home {not me driving }, with her not in her car seat {It is IMPOSSIBLE to nurse her in the car seat}. In my defense - it was very late at night, and there was no one on the roads.
She's also ridden in the car a few times not in her car seat {with me holding her} - we had to because the van and her seat & area was full of garage sale finds.

I secretly keep eating chocolate, even though I know it isn't good for her.

Trinity sleeps on her tummy or side too - she will not sleep on her back & it makes her colic flare up if she does. I also don't make her sleep alone - it's either on momma, gramma, or grampa. She's slept in the bassinet a handful of times, and she's nearly 2 months old.

I also have resorted to using my mother's remedy {whiskey rubbed on the gums} for teething pain, since oragel and hylands did nothing for her. It works, and she {& I} needed the sleep.

I'm a horrible mother
#6 of 21 Old 11-02-2006, 06:13 PM

ok well not sure if this is supposed to be a funny thread or just whatever. i feel horrible some days like i should never be a mom.

i have gotten angry at dd more than a handful of times in the 2 whole months shes been on this earth. its so hard for me to stay calm while driving and shes screaming. :

on other notes though:
dd sleeps in her swing!! and its not even the "greatest" sleep ever! she loves to be with me sleeping but darn a girl has to pee a few times a day right!

ds has not gotten the kind of attention he deserves in WEEKS

i eat and drink what ever i want cause darn it i am nursing a baby, taking care of an almost not newborn (: it goes by so fast and yet i am ready for it to be over!), an entire house, shopping etc and dh is always gone right now!! i want my comfort food! (thankfully i don't think anything particular upsets ayla except maybe strawberry milk??)

i watch a ton of tv and stay on the computer a whole lot!

on the carseat note: we drove halfway across the country when ds was 3 weeks old. i took him out of his carseat to feed him the entire way cause you just can't stop every 3 hours for 1/2 hour and actually get anywhere! to our defense though we were in a uhaul and bigger than everyone else!!
#7 of 21 Old 11-03-2006, 11:36 AM

My son is a tummy sleeper too. He doesn't like to sleep on his back for very long. Putting him on his tummy assures us a 6 hour stretch of sleep.

My TV is ALWAYS on and my dd watches DVDs all day. We're improving on this though...TV shuts off by 4 pm and stays off except on Thursday because I gotta watch CSI.

My son also spends a lot of time in a Baby Bjorn. He loves it. I have some slings, but he doesn't like them because he can't see out them. We'll abandon the bjorn when he can see out the sling. I'm sure he'll like it better then.

Most days, I feel like my son gets ignored. I'm always holding him, but I don't talk to him much or make a lot of eye contact because the majority of my time is spent interacting with my extremely demanding 2 year old. On days she naps in the ealry evening, I take a deep breath and look at my son and feel like it's the first time I've seen him all day. It makes me feel so guilty and I hope I'm not traumatizing him.
#8 of 21 Old 11-03-2006, 02:03 PM

Baby is a side sleeper, or she sleeps with me. Never thought we'd cosleep, but it's easier on all of us.

She hates tummy time, and so I just don't do it much. I try to remember once a day for 5 minutes or so draped across my lap, but that's about ll she can handle.

I go back to work today, and I'm miserable about it. Baby will be with Grandma or Daddy the entire time, but I still feel awful. And resentful. But that's a different thread.

Also, she gets called "Baby" or "The Baby" or "Sweet Pea" most of the time. Lauren just seems like such a BIG name for someone so little!
#9 of 21 Old 11-03-2006, 03:11 PM

Guilty of all the car seat crimes, but recently I learned how to pump so I don't need to take her out any more. She isn't real impressed by momma offering her a plastic nipple, but it's something.

I'm BAD about washing my hands. I washed my hands way more often before she was born, but now she's in my arms all the time and they get washed like once a day. I feel like I should be trying to keep a bit more clean.

You're not supposed to eat chocolate? Whatever!

I'll totally fall asleep during nighttime feedings and she doesn't get a full feeding because then my boob's out of her mouth. I'll wake up a while later to her sucking on the side of my boob or shoulder or something.

I spend too much time on the computer while she's awake. I don't like her to seem me doing that, I feel like I should be a good example of doing something productive! And with the state of my house, goodness knows that I have plenty of things that I could be doing! : (for the record she's alseep right now!)

I threw up on her right after she was born : that'll be a story she'll love to hear when she's older, lol.

EC ain't happening. We 'try' after her 2 long naps, and will make a 'catch' about every other day. The child farts all the time! I can't tell the difference between farting and pooping, and it just got to be taking up WAY too much time. We haven't totally abandoned it, but I"m not the EC person that I thought I'd be.

At's all I can think of right now!

Cara
#10 of 21 Old 11-03-2006, 03:41 PM

alright, i'll be the meanie. : i really want to urge all of you that have taken your baby out of their seats while in a moving car to seriously consider what the consequences of that can be. your child being hurt or possibly killed surely isn't worth getting somewhere faster. if the baby is hungry and you can't nurse them in their seats or don't want to give them a bottle of expressed milk, just pull over. an accident can happen so quickly, even if you are the only car on the road.
sorry for the rant but carseat safety is one of my hot buttons.

*mama to c 2/2000, v 2/2004, p 9/2006, and h 12/2012*

one of the mamas behind BeanTreeBaby.com ...Gear for Growing Families!

#11 of 21 Old 11-03-2006, 05:06 PM

Eh, there are potential consiquences to LOTS of the decisions we make as mommas, even putting a baby in a car in a seat is dangerous, cars are dangerous in general. We all are intellegent and understand what can happen, it's not like we haven't thought about it and are ignorantly taking the babies out of the seats. The safest option would be to never have babe in a car, but we generally choose to accept those risks, don't we? Judging and preaching to knowledgable people is a hot button for me, apparently :
#12 of 21 Old 11-03-2006, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhoneyswife View Post
Eh, there are potential consiquences to LOTS of the decisions we make as mommas, even putting a baby in a car in a seat is dangerous, cars are dangerous in general. We all are intellegent and understand what can happen, it's not like we haven't thought about it and are ignorantly taking the babies out of the seats. The safest option would be to never have babe in a car, but we generally choose to accept those risks, don't we? Judging and preaching to knowledgable people is a hot button for me, apparently :

you're right that riding in a car is inherently dangerous. but statiscally, riding in a car while properly restrained is generally safer then doing so unrestrained. i'm not saying that anyone here is ignorant about what could happen, i just think you're making a bad choice if you decide to take your baby out of their carseat while driving. intelligent people can make bad choices, it happens all the time.
why not just pull over? honestly i just don't get it.

*mama to c 2/2000, v 2/2004, p 9/2006, and h 12/2012*

one of the mamas behind BeanTreeBaby.com ...Gear for Growing Families!

#13 of 21 Old 11-03-2006, 06:14 PM

I understand, and honestly I didn't get why people didn't pull over til a few weeks ago Often when I'd take her out (now I pump so it's not an issue, she gets a bottle in the truck) it would be that we were coming home late from relatives' houses and on back roads. Her evening nursing sessions are often an hour long, so to get home an hour later when we were already getting home late and I figured that it was safer for her to be out of her seat for a while than to have DH driving when he was even more tired because it was an hour later.

Or the other times were early in the morning on the way to town/DH's work. We're a one vehicle family, so when I need to go to town I go, drop hubby off at work then do my stuff. It's an hour and a half drive, and we already have to leave at 5:15. Again, to accommodate for her normal nursing session of 30-45 minutes in the morning we'd have to leave at 4:30 or earlier so that he could still get to work on time! Then hope she only needed to eat once!

When I do errands, it's easy enough for me to plan in lots of stops for nursing, but these long drives early in the morning and late at night just aren't too good for that.

Sooo, that's where I'm comin from
#14 of 21 Old 11-03-2006, 06:38 PM

i also didn't purpsoly want to take ds out of his car seat on our drive cross country but it took us THREE days as it was!! i think it was MUCH better to feed him while driving than adding ANOTHER day of MOTELS, driving (lots of time in his car seat and not moving around), no schedules etc. I don't do it just cause i can!
#15 of 21 Old 11-06-2006, 08:55 PM

time to confess...

1. I am a total pacifier addict. I have to admit, I reach for it all too often. I know, I know, I know. But it works.

2. Isa totally sleeps on her tummy for her afternoon nap. After never sleeping for more than a half hour in the afternoon: , the tummy nap has been fabulous. She sleeps for 2-3 hrs now, which cuts down on the late afternoon overwhelming meltdowns dramatically. I check on her all the time though, it still makes me a little nervous.

3. Sometimes I dont wait a full hour or two after enjoying my glass of wine before i breastfeed her.:

4. It's been weeks since we've read a book.

Okay, i feel better now, my sins are out in the open!
#16 of 21 Old 11-07-2006, 04:35 AM

Well here goes:

1) I stupidly left buby with a pillow under her back to keep her a little more upright to help her reflux, and I left the room to make something to eat, she rolled over and if I hadn't got an insane urge to check on her she would have smothered to death - a mistake I will NEVER make again.

2) I cry far too much round her - Never because of her but as she is always with me it becomes unavoidable

3) I too eat chocolate... All too much : I'm meant to be stopping dairy alltogether but it's so hard!!!!

4) I have a secret love for Starbucks vanilla lattes, ANOTHER dairy no no

And the worst.....

5) Up until today buby didn't have a name..... I feel so bad! I called her Arienne, it means enchanted which I thought was cool, I haven't even got the middle names decided - She's 5wks 1 day old today.

6) The worst part about 5 - I only named her because I had to for my benefit.... I had an hour and a half to think of it... But Arienne was the one I was thinking about so it only seemed right to.
#17 of 21 Old 11-07-2006, 12:16 PM

I LOVE that name!!!!! I've only seem a few pictures of her but she actually looks like an Arienne to me (sorry if I misspelled it!).
#18 of 21 Old 11-07-2006, 06:10 PM

Me too! Baby J loves her nook-nook... I really would offer her the breast more, but my supply is so huge I don't want to encourage the ladies anymore than needed.
I don't wait 1-2 hours after that glass of wine either... but, I only have one.
I am guilty of letting ds and dd#1 watch to much PBS lately.
Also, I spend time cruising MDC when I am supposed to be studying.... I am sure that will come back to bite me.
#19 of 21 Old 11-07-2006, 08:07 PM

i feel guilty that i've learned how to check emails, type with one hand, eat meals and read or talk on the phone while breastfeeding. i just feel i should be more attentive and in the moment while feeding. i read somwhere that to be multitasking like that while breastfeeding is like inviting someone over to dinner and then read a book at the table (or any of the other things listed) when you should be focusing on the person you are with.

i also feel guilty that i get secretly mad at dh. when dh gets home and takes over caring for babe after dinner so i can bathe, that i just cannot understand why it takes him SO LONG to calm our crying ds. at times i've practically stomped out of the bath way too early because i can't stand listening to ds cry so hysterically. but in dh's defense, i do think he is slowly getting the hang of soothing our son after 4.5 weeks of it.

and guilty that i've had 2 strong latte's this week. i've not heard anyone confess this, is this b/c it's not worth confessing or that i'm the only one 'bad enough' to do it?

gwinith
#20 of 21 Old 11-08-2006, 03:33 PM

Ok I confess to letting Lainey sleep in her boppy even though it says right on the package not to! I don't care! I haven't been able to put this girl down to sleep for almost seven weeks and when I got the boppy at our Welcome Baby party it was like magic! She takes a nap in it during the day and will sleep in it from 8pm to 1:30am (when I take her out of it asleep to nurse because my boobs are killing me) at night. After that she's in my arms and nursing most of the night, but we're still getting lots of sleep!

I also confess to eating too much chocolate, but I'm not sure why it's so bad?

Sarah loving wife to Scot...joyous mama to...
Emilee and Elaina and our newest addition Elliot Bell 9/15/10
#21 of 21 Old 11-08-2006, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairinargentina View Post
I LOVE that name!!!!! I've only seem a few pictures of her but she actually looks like an Arienne to me (sorry if I misspelled it!).
Thanks And you spelled it Perfectly

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwinith
and guilty that i've had 2 strong latte's this week. i've not heard anyone confess this, is this b/c it's not worth confessing or that i'm the only one 'bad enough' to do it?
You're not the only one, in my confessions post further up I confessed my addiction to Starbucks Vanilla Lattes... I really do love them way too much, I've had 3 this week - And would probably be 4 today but I'm not going into town.

And the multi-tasking thing, unfortunatly has to be done!! As we speak I'm writing this, feeding Arienne and eating a VERY late breakfast...!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page