Crib wrapping - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-09-2006, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm getting some visquine (sp?) to wrap our crib mattress in, now that she's sleeping in there. Have you all read the study about what they've found in New Zealand? SIDS is a scary thing... I'm totally debating putting her to sleep on her tummy after I wrap the mattress, she has good head control and I"m not worried about her suffocating, more worried that she'll sleep 'too well' and then not wake up On my chest isn't an option because I can't stay in the same position for more than a couple hours and I just end up moving us all over the place all night. She used to sleep well on her back or side next to me, but the last few nights she's been super restless. This morning I put her on her tummy next to me and now she's in a super mood, obviously well rested.

The decisions we have to make as mommas! Anyway, this is on my mind and I wanted to share. Here's another link, actually this whole website is pretty informative.

http://www.criblife2000.com/points.htm
http://www.criblife2000.com/newzealand.htm
http://www.criblife2000.com/unitedstates.htm

My once concern is that they may have reduced "SIDS" or "Cot Death" but did they just start calling it something else? Something I wouldn't put it past the government to do just so they can take credit for something. I dont' know. And I'm fairly sure vaccines play a role in SIDS, and we don't vax. I shouldn't worry about it so much.

Obviously on my mind, lol.

Cara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2006, 03:58 PM

This has been on my mind alot lately too. The whole thing just makes my stomach turn. We wrapped Isa's mattress but I still get nervous putting her on her tummy in there. I never leave her in there for long (only afternoon naps, and unfortunately they're short! ). Never on her tummy in the crib at night. Although this morning I was so desperate for sleep that I put her in our bed on her tummy. I am struggling for ways to help her sleep (she's going through a rough stage with it at the moment) but IF something ever happened I would never forgive myself

As far as reduction rates... I think one reason they have dropped is because these mysterious deaths have been diagnosed as something other than "SIDS". There was another study released (posted somewhere on the DDC pages) that linked the deaths to a brain abnormality... the little ones' bodies dont wake themselves up when oxygen gets low. Maybe that was one of your links... didnt look.

Anyway, good luck, I am with you on this one!
Old 11-09-2006, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairinargentina View Post
This has been on my mind alot lately too. The whole thing just makes my stomach turn.
Although this morning I was so desperate for sleep that I put her in our bed on her tummy. I am struggling for ways to help her sleep (she's going through a rough stage with it at the moment)

but IF something ever happened I would never forgive myself

As far as reduction rates... I think one reason they have dropped is because these mysterious deaths have been diagnosed as something other than "SIDS".

Totally hear ya on ALL of these. I was wondering if the reduction rates were because they started calling it something else...
Old 11-09-2006, 05:10 PM

my thoughts at the moment on SIDS as a mother of 3.

#1. When DH & I & our siblings were infants we had several "risk" factors for SIDS including being FF, belly sleepers and living with smokers. Heck my littlest sister was a premie! All of us turned out OK.

#2. In order for me to function as a human being, which I need to do to take care of my 2 older DDs (4&7), I NEED SLEEP. The only way DD3 sleeps well is on her belly, she even hates the Amby.

#3. DD3's only risk factor at the moment is the belly sleeping. There is some controversy over co-sleeping and SIDS so I don't count that (when we do it, we do it part time and when we do she sleeps on her back/side).

#4. She is BF, which is supposed to help prevent SIDS.

#5. Her head control is excellent, has been from birth.

#6. We have a very old crib mattress which we will be replacing very soon so she can transition to her own room for at least part of the night. Until we have it replaced she stays in our room in the bassinette portion of the packnplay.

#7. If mattress wrapping floats your boat, go for it. IMO, I think that a new mattress will be fine for us. Our old one is 7

#8. DD3 was a healthy full term infant. I might not feel this comfortable if she had been a premie or was not well in some way.

#9. Our ped casually mentioned that her children were belly sleepers as well. If she felt totally convinced that our DD needs to be on her back, I doubt she would've mentioned this : (side note being, that our relationship with our ped is very tangled as of late. Our MWs children used to play with Ped's children when they were little...something we did not know until DD3 was born!) Especially since our Ped is Hell bent on certain vaxes...

#10. We feel comfortable letting DD3 be a belly sleeper. It won't be long till she's rolling and we won't be able to prevent her from getting to her belly then...

Finally speaking of vaxes...what evidence do you have that leads you to believe that SIDS is related to vaccines? I am in the midst of vaccine "enlightenment" as we speak...

Heather
Old 11-09-2006, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
#1. When DH & I & our siblings were infants we had several "risk" factors for SIDS including being FF, belly sleepers and living with smokers. Heck my littlest sister was a premie! All of us turned out OK.
Yup, formula fed, belly sleeper in another room over here.

Quote:
#2. In order for me to function as a human being, which I need to do to take care of my 2 older DDs (4&7), I NEED SLEEP. The only way DD3 sleeps well is on her belly, she even hates the Amby.
Totally hear ya. The lack of sleep is really taking a toll on my work, and the last thing I need to do is get fired right now. I think they'll be understanding for a few weeks, but I'm *not* meeting my production requirement right now, so the could technically terminate me at any time.
Quote:
#3. DD3's only risk factor at the moment is the belly sleeping. There is some controversy over co-sleeping and SIDS so I don't count that (when we do it, we do it part time and when we do she sleeps on her back/side).
Here our risk factors would be belly sleeping, not getting 'recommended medical prenatal care' and not 'keeping current with vaccinations' whatever. I think those are bogus also. We wouldn't be cosleeping, she'd be in a pack-n-play butted up to our bed. I don't think there's anything wrong with co-sleeping. As a note, though, I sleep with her next to me and the edge of the bed, DH would roll over on her. That would not be SIDS, though, it would be suffication or crushing, but I have a feeling that's why cosleepign is frowned on. Dunno.

Quote:
#5. Her head control is excellent, has been from birth
. Same here, I'm not worried about the suffication aspect of it because of this.

Quote:
#8. DD3 was a healthy full term infant. I might not feel this comfortable if she had been a premie or was not well in some way.
I feel the same way.
Quote:
#9. Our ped casually mentioned that her children were belly sleepers as well. If she felt totally convinced that our DD needs to be on her back, I doubt she would've mentioned this : (side note being, that our relationship with our ped is very tangled as of late. Our MWs children used to play with Ped's children when they were little...something we did not know until DD3 was born!) Especially since our Ped is Hell bent on certain vaxes...
Yeah, I used to babysit for a ped who's kids were belly sleepers... also fully vaxed and whatnot, but breastfed and otherwise 'crunchy'.

Quote:
Finally speaking of vaxes...what evidence do you have that leads you to believe that SIDS is related to vaccines? I am in the midst of vaccine "enlightenment" as we speak...
I don't have any evidence, they might on the vaccine board on here. I just kinda figure it's not a good idea to inject foreign substances into my little bitty developing baby, and that it might just overload their system until they 'shut down'. I'm a big believer in only giving babies breastmilk (though I had to supplement with goats milk for a few days : ) until 6 months or 1 year, and *injecting* them with something else just doesn't work in my bitty brain, lol. I haven't done much research on SIDS and vaxs, though, just my own reasoning.

Cara (who's feeling better about the idea of tummy sleeping now)
Old 11-09-2006, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by time4another View Post
#10. We feel comfortable letting DD3 be a belly sleeper. It won't be long till she's rolling and we won't be able to prevent her from getting to her belly then...
Speaking of rolling over... what's the "common feeling" in the ole establishment about this-- once they can roll over they're safe? i was wondering because my dd is rolling over now-- are we technically in the clear then? that'd make me feel better!
Old 11-10-2006, 12:02 PM

I agree with everything time4another said. Dd3 is a belly sleeper and we are completely comfortable with it for the same reasons.

Myhoneyswife-I think that room sharing gives you and Hannah many of the benefits of co-sleeping. You are familiar with her sleep cycles and you're right there to nurse/comfort her. We start Johanna in a co-sleeper, but after her long sleep stretch is over, she stays in bed with us, just b/c it's easier and we all continue to sleep.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
Old 11-10-2006, 06:24 PM

So are these gases found in regular mattresses as well or just crib mattresses? Ds sleeps in our bed on his belly or side. He will not sleep on his back. Both of my girls were belly sleepers as well. He has excellent head control. He is on our bed which is covered with a mattress pad, waterproof pad, sheet and then he has another receiving blanket underneath him in case he spits up. How am I supposed to find out if any of those layers are a risk factor? He does occasionally nap in the crib in our room, but the mattress is fairly new and is covered with a waterproof mattress pad and sheet. Can the gases still reach him? This is all way too confusing for me. : I have always felt safest with him in bed with us laying on his side. I will continue to cosleep, but now I wonder if he is at risk during naps and on our mattress.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairinargentina View Post
Speaking of rolling over... what's the "common feeling" in the ole establishment about this-- once they can roll over they're safe? i was wondering because my dd is rolling over now-- are we technically in the clear then? that'd make me feel better!
SIDS apparently affects children up to 2, I believe. I've recently heard a case of SIDS at 7 mos.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

User Tag List