Mothering Forum banner

Crying to sleep..??

963 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  RainbowsMum 
#1 ·
Ariennes now just over 6 weeks old and is generally apart from her reflux is a happy smiley baby, but now during the day she just doesn't want to fall asleep, she gets that tired she just cries and the only way (anything short of leaving her in her bassinet to CIO - Which I will NEVER do) is to put her over my sholder and bounce her to sleep, and even then she still cries. Anyone have this problem or know any way to avoid her getting so upset? It just breaks my heart

See less See more
#2 ·
Isa does the same thing in the afternoon/evening, when she really fights sleeps. For her its all about being overstimulated... she just cant settle herself and shut her eyes long enough to relax and fall asleep. We end up just rocking her as she cries and eventually cries herself to sleep. It's exahausting and heartbreaking, but unfortuantely you get used to it.
The sling is our ace in the hole (on the rare occasion that the rocking chair doesnt work)... after she's totally worked herself up and is completely overwhelmed by everything around her we can put her in the sling, in the cradle hold facing our bodies, cover her head so she can't see out, and she will eventually closer her eyes and settle.

#4 ·
This is what Xan is like during his 'fussy period': 10:30pm to around 1-2am. I think it bothers me less now because he's my 2nd and because I've done worse. My daughter cried 6+ hours a day, inconsolably. A few hours of fussing and 20-30 minutes of actual crying isn't that bad, so I keep reminding myself it could be worse and then I can get through.

#5 ·
I just want to bump this to add that I was dealing with the same sleep-fighting issues and have overcome them to some degree.

Basically, I just started catching the sleepy cues really really early and would go tuck her in bed and pat her back and drone "Sleepy time, sleepy time" until she'd drop off.

I ONLY put her to sleep in one place - her side-carred bed next to mine. It only took about three days for her to catch on that being laid down there meant sleepy time. She's going down a lot faster these days - maybe only 20 minutes of droning and patting, rather than an hour or more with constant fussing.

But I swear, you have to be vigilant! That very first yawn, or droopy-eyed look, or the 7-mile stare, and off we go. If I wait and try to do one more thing, she gets more agitated and is so much harder to put down!

I'm also teaching Dh and everyone who interacts with her to follow her cues - and to not try to "jolly her" out of crying. Over stimulation is our main issue, and the only way to combat it is sleep, I find. The reason we had such a horrible first month is because we didn't realize this, so we'd try to do all kinds of stuff to get her to stop crying, rather than to help her to sleep. She just needs to shut off and shut out for a while, and only a nap can do that.

HTH someone!

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by RainbowsMum View Post
I hate singing so who would have thought it would be the only thing that helped!!
Our babies have a way of bringing out those parts of us we'd otherwise hide away forever, I think! The beautiful bits as well as the uglier ones. Hee! That's just too cute.

I'm so glad you found something that works!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.