Mothering Forum banner

Weight & post baby body thread

1K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  vloky 
#1 ·
After Gavin was born nursing was all I needed to drop the baby weight. I was back to my pre preg weight by 6 weeks post partum. This time I have not dropped a single pound since the day Rhys was born. And I am sure I am not the only one having this sort of issue

So I thought it would be nice to start a support thread rather than somewhere to just complain about it. What are you doing to help get back in shape safely? I know some people just can't lose while nursing & others drop weight like nothing, everyone is diffrent. I also know that while nursing it is hard to diet & not always safe either. What is or isn't working for you? Let's motivate eachother!!!

I personally an having a very hard time with any exercise other than walking around the house bouncing baby to sleep or atleast to stop crying
As far as diet I am doing pretty well cutting out the junk. It's the fat I have a hard time with. I am vegetarian so I eat alot of cheese & nuts for protien. Plus I've been eating alot of avocados & hummus lately. This is all great for baby, but no so much for mom

See less See more
#2 ·
Actually avocados and hummus are great for you too and will not contribute to your weight gain. I have found that cutting out most processed foods is what really helps (which is what I ate alot during pregnancy) I know that being vegetarian is difficult but staying away from all the fake meats and cheeses helps. I quite eating dairy(baby is sensitive to it) but starting eating a little meat and cooking from scratch helps but that must be hard with two kids. I also started walking everywhere with the babe because driving with her everywhere just seems so scary. I am mostly depressed about my massive boobs, I swear thats where my extra 13 pounds comes from and I hate wearing a underwire bra and I now have tiny stretch marks

I found that new clothing helps my self esteem which makes me not want to over eat. I don't have any money but I bought a few new things at a second hand store and I feel a little better

#4 ·
A month PP I had only lost 4lbs! I'm so irritated. I can fit into my size 4-5 jeans only because I was a size 1 to begin with and didn't get that much bigger, it's just the flubby stuff I'm really irked with. They're not lovehandles, they're wings

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by littleteapot View Post
A month PP I had only lost 4lbs! I'm so irritated. I can fit into my size 4-5 jeans only because I was a size 1 to begin with and didn't get that much bigger, it's just the flubby stuff I'm really irked with. They're not lovehandles, they're wings
Could be worse - I GAINED PP!

I've had to dig out my clothes from years ago before I lost part of my weight - Glad I didn't get around to having that yardsale while PG!

#6 ·
*SO* glad I'm not the only one dealing with this. Seemed like my weight fell off when I was nursing babe #1 and this time, even with actively running and tandem nursing, it is just sticking to me. My midwife said it is *because* I am nursing two that the weight wants to stay on, but come on- don't I deserve to lose a few pounds? I have about 15 lbs left to get back to my pre-pg weight, but since I'm a petite person it looks and feels like way more than that. I've kind of resigned myself to the idea that it is going to take some time. DH and I are training for a 15K race, so maybe that will help things along. Unfortunately I don't have any transitional clothing, so I'm still wearing my early maternity clothes...and that's depressing. But with the holidays and a new baby, we have so many other expenses- maybe I should just suck it up and buy a few things that fit me right now? Even so, it's all worth it

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by quinbearzmama View Post
*SO* glad I'm not the only one dealing with this. Seemed like my weight fell off when I was nursing babe #1 and this time, even with actively running and tandem nursing, it is just sticking to me. My midwife said it is *because* I am nursing two that the weight wants to stay on, but come on- don't I deserve to lose a few pounds? I have about 15 lbs left to get back to my pre-pg weight, but since I'm a petite person it looks and feels like way more than that. I've kind of resigned myself to the idea that it is going to take some time. DH and I are training for a 15K race, so maybe that will help things along. Unfortunately I don't have any transitional clothing, so I'm still wearing my early maternity clothes...and that's depressing. But with the holidays and a new baby, we have so many other expenses- maybe I should just suck it up and buy a few things that fit me right now? Even so, it's all worth it

i bought almost a whole new wardrobe!!
mostly cause when i got pregnant most of my clothes were on the way to the dumpster in the first place. and i only bought cheepo stuff. $5 shirts from old navy and clearance stuff with discount codes from old navy (they always seem to have something cheap). i think for about 10 new shirts and 2 new guachos i paid about $100. used my bday money since i was broke!! not much but it works until the spit up, get everything on you and stains stage is over!!

i didn't loose well with ds either. i think your supposed to hold onto weight cause your body is saying "well if theres a famine your baby will still get fed!!" isn't that what the extra fat on the legs, butt and thighs is for???

#9 ·
Sorry...jumping in from October, but had to comment on the weight issue. I still have 20 pounds to lose...eeks. With ds it fell off without my having to do anything. This time, I walk often and eat much healthier and it's sticking to me. This sucks. I'm trying not to freak about it but my vanity is rearing it's ugly head. I was hoping to have the same pp weight recovery as with ds but now I hope to lose it by the time dd is 1 year old. Feels like a more likely goal!

#10 ·
I forgot to get to my point before! I have lost all my excess weight - I weigh less than I did before I was preg... Which is bad cos I was underweight then too. I seem to forget to eat with all the stress amd crap going on, which is bad for baby so I'm all up for the whole healthy eating motivation thing!!! So what are some really good things to eat that are healthy and most importantly - Easy....?

#11 ·
I am back to pp weight now since about 4 weeks after birth, which was easier than I thought it would be... nurse baby nurse! But I notice a big difference in muscle mass and those lovely "wings" mentioned earlier! I am walking like a maniac with the little one and running when I can but I think it's gonna take a long time to get back into good physical shape again. Alot of the really muscle-forming things I used to do are hard to pull off with a little one at home, or atleast for a while.

My weakness these days seems to be pasta... maybe I am calorie deprived or something because I just cant get enough of it. Other than that we try to keep only healthy stuff on hand (hummus, nuts, etc). Doesn't help that I wake up in the middle of the night absolutely starving!

Oh yeah... one thing I am looking forward to with regard to quitting nursing (in a year or so?) is that these massive boobs will shrink... that's atleast 5lbs!!

#15 ·
Ok I have a question... Is anyone else still healing in the vaginal region?
I still occasional have pink spots of blood on the tp from wiping and things still do not feel healed up at my 7 week she said it looked a little irritated and told me to put comfrey gel on it but I have been and I am still not healed and now it almost three months since birth, I also have this weird achiness down there that makes me feel like I need to physically hold my crotch up. Its so weird please let me know if anyone has any experience with this.

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AbiSolsticebaby View Post
I still occasional have pink spots of blood on the tp from wiping and things still do not feel healed up at my 7 week she said it looked a little irritated and told me to put comfrey gel on it but I have been and I am still not healed and now it almost three months since birth, I also have this weird achiness down there that makes me feel like I need to physically hold my crotch up. Its so weird please let me know if anyone has any experience with this.
Well, it's almost 3 months for me and I still feel out of whack down there
: It's like it feels raw or something. That just sounds gross though...
I had a really bad infection in one of my tears, so I think that delayed my healing process.

If you're worried about it, I would get it checked out.

I've dropped 35 pounds so far. I'm on an extremely restricted diet because of my sensitive baby, so I'm starving all the time and not getting even 1,500 calories a day. Now that's a weight loss plan

I'm still far from the size 2 I was before the pregnancy though. I'd like to fit into some of my nice clothes again. I've got 10 more pounds until I reach my pre-pregnancy weight.

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AbiSolsticebaby View Post
I still occasionally get pink spotting like you described but I don't feel so achey. It took until 8wks for me to stop bleeding although by then it was light. I agree with what someone else said, if you're worried go get it checked out. When it involves anything down there you never can be too careful!

#18 ·
I was 10 pounds below my pre pregnancy weight by week 5 p-p. I'm depressed so hardly eating and nursing though. I only gained 16 pounds though and 9 of that was baby. He's 7 weeks and over 14 pounds so he's sucking all my fat out.
I still have 20 pounds to lose though I started dieting last january to lose 30 then found out i was pregnant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.