What are your favorite nursing moments? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 12-19-2006, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey mamas- things have really slowed down in our DDC, but know that I think of all of you and your babes often. While I was nursing my DD today, an overwhelming feeling of peace and contentment came over me...I guess nursing gives me some of those rare moments to really just sit back and take it all in. Arabella moves her feet lazily when she nurses- every time- and it just fills my heart with such joy. She rubs them together and I can tell that it is such a happy, cozy time for her. So, what are your favorite nursing moments? Anything your babies do while they nurse that brings a smile to your face?

!!

J - Birth doula and *very* grateful mama to bouncy Q, fancy F, and mighty F!

#2 of 20 Old 12-19-2006, 08:07 PM

Yay! Someone's still here

She just started pulling off to look around, I love it! It cracks me up! She'll look around, then look up at me, then try to dive back on, usually missing and having to relocate a few times.

I love it right after she falls asleep and she smiles while still on the boob. She'll do 2 or 3 quick smiles with her eyes still closed and then go back to sleep.

At the doctor's today (for me, not her) he was asking about my allergies, I said milk, then he was asking about her, just curious if she had the allergy. I said I didn't know. He asked me what she ate and I just looked at him like I didn't understand... he repeated, what do you feed her? for some reason I couldn't think to say breastmilk so I just pointed to my boob! I felt like a dork, but I dunno, it caught me off guard! He was all happy that I was breastfeeding, though, and went on to tell me about how his wife breastfed his daughters and they were never sick and never had ear infections Yay!
#3 of 20 Old 12-19-2006, 10:02 PM

This is a great topic!

I love it when Lainey is nursing and looks up at me and smiles with my nipple still in her mouth. I love to see her smile with all that milk running down her chin like an absolutely adorable little piglet! Those are my most favorite moments I also love it when she looks around while nursing and pops on and off. It's so fun to see that she's getting more interested in the world around her. Ahhhh I love nursing!

Sarah loving wife to Scot...joyous mama to...
Emilee and Elaina and our newest addition Elliot Bell 9/15/10
#4 of 20 Old 12-20-2006, 12:55 AM

My favorite nursing moments are when he's softly rubbing my chest/neck when he's half asleep. I also love when he stops eating to look up at me and smile and coo. He's so cute and sweet.
#5 of 20 Old 12-20-2006, 05:49 PM

Today I too was thinking about how much I love nursing, I love when Zurie grips on the my shirt like a little monkey and when she comes off the boob all stoned with milk on her cheeks full and happy and I kiss her milky cheek and burp her. She is just starting to play around too, wanting to nurse but then just looks up at me and smiles and talks to me.
#6 of 20 Old 12-20-2006, 06:14 PM

Awww, what a sweet thread... I love to nurse Julia and take a nap. Watching her drift off to sleep next to me all happy and content, totally relaxed. Each time she nurses she looks at me like it's the best thing that ever happened to her.

One night we had a fire in the fireplace going and the lights were on on the tree and we sat in bed and just soaked it all in. She and I were so relaxed and cozy and Daddy was right beside us with his arm around us and some beautiful music was playing. It was all very intimate and loving.
I have enjoyed nursing her the most of my 3. I've learned how precious that time is and how fast it goes.
I don't even mind pumping at work that much. I just think of her all tucked in next to Daddy and the milk just flows and I know that even though I am not physically with her that I am with her when she gets that milk. KWIM?
#7 of 20 Old 12-20-2006, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

There is a whole lotta love in this thread Those nursing smiles are so great. This morning DD was also playing around- she'd nurse for a few minutes and then unlatch and just stare at me with this big grin- she repeated that for about 15 minutes. What a way to start my day

#8 of 20 Old 12-20-2006, 11:24 PM

gotta love those nursing smiles!

I'd have to say my fav is when we nurse right before bed, and she finishes. She pats my boob as if to say "okay all done for the night!" and of course the tickles while nursing bit - she likes to tickle me while nursing when we are laying down.
#9 of 20 Old 12-21-2006, 02:45 AM

I forgot to mention how I love it that she holds my finger while she nurses now. If my finger isn't there then she rests her hand at the top of my chest. I love it!

Sarah loving wife to Scot...joyous mama to...
Emilee and Elaina and our newest addition Elliot Bell 9/15/10
#10 of 20 Old 12-21-2006, 03:50 PM

The smiling nursies are my favorite, too. And the boob pats. I love when she falls asleep nursing and has her hand out on my breast, like it's the best 'lovey' in the world and everything is perfect in her universe.

Great thread.

IBCLC, LLLL, Mom to 3, obsessive baker, where's my coffee
#11 of 20 Old 12-21-2006, 05:23 PM

I love this thread!

Ditto to all the above about the smiling while nursing. I also love when Shayla clasps her little hands together while nursing - we say she's praying for more milkies!

We had so much trouble getting nursing established and came so close to quitting that I am still grateful every day that we figured it out. It makes the time I'm nursing her that much more precious.

Erin, mom to Shayla, born 9/7/06
#12 of 20 Old 12-21-2006, 09:29 PM

i too am a sucker for the milkie droolie smiles when felix is half asleep, i'm trying to cherish every one of them cuz time is flying by soooo fast!!! he likes to hold my finger too and makes the cutest satisfied noises : while nursing. he started what appears to be not so comfortable of a habit - to me that is - when he's nursing on the right side mostly his little hand gets moving and grasping so much he frequently unknowingly starts to pull the breast out of his mouth which can be a bit frustrating for both of us ... ouch! but he's so cute when he's doing it i still have to smile a bit so most of the time i just make sure he has a finger to hold onto and it all works out.
#13 of 20 Old 12-22-2006, 01:52 AM

Count me in as another that loves the drooly nipple filled smiles. They are just tooo sweet!
#14 of 20 Old 12-28-2006, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

I have more to add to our thread DD just started getting "distracted" by my face when she nurses. She will be happily nursing and then will stop just to give me a big smile- so sweet! And I just started getting the "pats" that pp have mentioned. This is such a great time in my life!

#15 of 20 Old 01-02-2007, 02:30 PM

so my favorite nursing moment was when she was first given to me and she latched right on and was quiet. ( they had to take her right away because she wasn't breathing) everyone in the room disappeared and it was just her and i. lol. my mom had to help me hold her because i was so weak from the 22hr labor!
the worst memory i have was when she was 3 days old. it was the second night i was home. my dh had left friday morning to come back home. we were staying with my mom so i could have a water birth in atlanta. anyways that night (sat morning actually) she woke up at 4 am and wouldn't get back to sleep and was having a lot of trouble nursing because she was crying so hard. my mom came out and helped me at 5 am. she nursed for a little while. i guess my milk wasn't quite in yet. she kept crying and wouldn't go to sleep. my mom got up again at 8 and came to help me. i was sitting on the coach crying and trying to get dd to nurse while she was crying. my mom made the baby a bottle with the formula the hospital gave us and she sent me to bed. that was the hardest time EVER! dh wasn't with me and dd wouldn't stop crying and i couldn't give her enough milk. as i walked back to my room i was crying so much because i felt so bad i couldn't provide for dd and i cried myself to sleep. after my mom fed her a bottle dd slept for a long time. like 6 hrs and i was scared she was sleeping somuch i thought something was wrong.

Trying to with SO my dd3 my ds 2 dss 7 dss 8 and 2 chinese creasted's
#16 of 20 Old 01-02-2007, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjraven8 View Post
i too am a sucker for the milkie droolie smiles when felix is half asleep, i'm trying to cherish every one of them cuz time is flying by soooo fast!!! he likes to hold my finger too and makes the cutest satisfied noises : while nursing. he started what appears to be not so comfortable of a habit - to me that is - when he's nursing on the right side mostly his little hand gets moving and grasping so much he frequently unknowingly starts to pull the breast out of his mouth which can be a bit frustrating for both of us ... ouch! but he's so cute when he's doing it i still have to smile a bit so most of the time i just make sure he has a finger to hold onto and it all works out.
my rea rea does the same thing

Trying to with SO my dd3 my ds 2 dss 7 dss 8 and 2 chinese creasted's
#17 of 20 Old 01-02-2007, 07:41 PM

I have a forceful letdown, which often causes Lynden to pull off coughing. I can't help but laugh, because he is so cute about it. Now he will often do a tiny fake cough when he's done nursing, or when he's not even nursing at all, and grin at me, knowing that his coughing makes me laugh.

Happy mama to L (Sept '06), R (Apr '08), R (Apr '10), and G (Mar '12)! - Homemade , Home birthed , Home schooled , Home grown

#18 of 20 Old 01-02-2007, 10:14 PM

i love it when ayla will just first latch on and she looks like "oh my god its heaven!!" and she just melts into my breast like she was just starving!!
#19 of 20 Old 01-03-2007, 03:51 AM

she always just keeps looking up smiling, so sweet
#20 of 20 Old 01-05-2007, 08:04 PM

I love nursing too. What an intimate and special time with my baby. Nonie strokes my chest while she nurses and she sighs the sweetest sighs. I let down a lot at a time and she struggles initially with a swallow, breath in, swallow, breath out, swallow, breath in etc. and when it slows down she likes to nibble and sigh. It makes me tear up thinking about it cuz it is just so sweet. She also smiles milky smiles and it dribbles down her cheek. I tease her and tell her how hard I worked to make that.
The other day she nursed on one side and was finished and I put her to the other side which she generally doesn't like. I thought she had latched on and I looked away. I looked back at her and she had her eyes open bright and mischevious as can be and her tongue sticking out as far as it could go with my nipple no where close to being in her mouth. Then she gave me the biggest grin and I laughed and laughed. It was like she was saying, "You can try that boob as much as you want but I still don't like it!" She also has started getting excited when I start to pull up my shirt. She kicks and grabs her hands together and her eyes get so big. If I take too long or get distracted she fake coughs this indignant cough to tell me I am taking too long in giving her the milkies. I have also started giving her the sign for milk and she watches my hand. I'm not sure she knows what I am doing but it won't hurt. I have, however, gotten a few coughs while giving her the milk sign.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page