Solids? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-04-2007, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone starting solids yet?

We are not... she is only 4 months and ebf. She weighs 14# now. I really want to hold off until she is almost a year. She shows some interest when we sit at the table, but I think it is more curiosity than any appetite.

Anyone have experience with waiting until 1 year for solids? With my other two dcs, we waited until 6 mo. This time I want to try to nurse longer.

Just thought this would make an interesting discussion for our DDC. Seems a little slow as of late!

Hmmm, maybe I should post something controversial? ha ha ha
#2 of 7 Old 02-06-2007, 01:49 AM

We are not actually feeding her solids she's ebf, but she's had a "taste" of a few things. She is just so darn interested in our food right now. It's really hard to get a meal while she's around. So far she's tasted avocado and beans a tiny bit of (homemade) bread all of which she pushed right back out, so I know she's not ready to eat. She enjoys the taste all the same. You should see how her face lights up when my finger is moving toward her mouth. She also tries to take sips out of my water glass. She's got the motion of bringing the cup to her mouth with her hands down pat, but she never drinks anything just sucks on the rim.

I am planning on waiting until one year before solids actually become a source of nutrition, but I'm open for a little experimenting until then as long as Lainey shows an interest.

Sarah loving wife to Scot...joyous mama to...
Emilee and Elaina and our newest addition Elliot Bell 9/15/10
#3 of 7 Old 02-07-2007, 02:34 AM

Shayla starting cutting her two bottom teeth just before she turned 4 months old, and has been obsessed w/ our food even prior to that.

She was very cute when we ate, drooling and smacking her lips and trying to grab our food. I felt kind of guilty eating in front of her!

We were going to hold out until she was 6 months old to start solids, but when she started to eat (and poop out!) paper products a week ago (just shy of 5 months old), we broke down. She took to the solid food immediately and has eaten every scrap of banana and apple that we've given her.

It was actually kind of weird how matter-of-fact she was about it. We had the video camera going for the first "meal" and were waiting for her to spit it out, or make a face, or be delighted or something. She proceeded to play w/ the cat and a toy w/ one hand while eating banana off of my finger as if she'd been doing it all along.

I'm going to wait on grains and just do fruits and vegetables for now. She is delighted to be eating and sucks on her little Munchkin feeder in my lap while we eat dinner.
#4 of 7 Old 02-07-2007, 12:30 PM

i've thought about it. i wanted to extend her non solid days to whenever shes ready not just 6 months and then go straight to table foods.

but she has been watching me eat (when i eat in front of her) all the time! my question is: is the shiny fork or the actual food thats shes so interested in!? i have given her a piece of rice and a piece of banana. she isn't ready for a lot of solids since she wanted to suck on it more than anything or spit out the banana.
#5 of 7 Old 02-07-2007, 06:07 PM

I"m the odd one out : - we have started solids already due to extreme circumstances {DD will not take a bottle while I'm gone and I have to leave for multiple hours daily}.

So far DD has had Rice cereal, Applesauce, Pear, Carrot, and chicken. Mostly just bits off my plate put into one of those bag feeder things for safety. It's not a lot, and sometimes she goes over a week without solids, and then eat solids several days in a row. We wait until she indicates she wants to try some normally, and when she just isn't satified with nursing.

She loves carrots!
#6 of 7 Old 02-08-2007, 09:22 PM

We're waiting til 12 months or so, lots of food allergies.

Similac or Infamil or some other formula company sends me stuff and my hubby was poking fun of it when they suggested giving our baby food at this age. "She doesn't even have teeth" he says. This is coming from a man who was quite sure a few months ago that she would NOT be nursing for longer than a few months, because she'd surely be walking around, talking, and ready to eat by then. My hubby doesn't have a whole lot of experience with babies
#7 of 7 Old 02-15-2007, 08:36 PM

Ava's tasted pears, applesauce and avocado, but im going to wait until she is 6 months until it is a regular thing, she seems to want to eat already though

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page