Book Suggestions for Toddler welcoming new baby Please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-12-2006, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's so funny because many of my friends/family already have their second child (and our firsts were the same age) and I thought it rather strange that they were feeling anxiety about their eldest child's acceptance and comprehension of the new baby in the family. Well, now I think it could well be just a parent thing because I'm feeling it and I didn't think I would!

So, if you have any suggestions for books you found helpful if you went through this stage too, I would REALLY appreciate it! I'm going to ask similarly in Toddlers, but I would really love to hear from mamas who may be in a similar situation (or just were) to mine. DD is 2 next month and the baby will be here when she is right at 2.5, so I look forward to getting to know my due date comrades through your suggestions and experiences with this!

TYIA!

IntactaLactavist, HomeBirthin' Baby Wearin' Co-sleepin' Homeschoolin', City girl gone Country Livin' SAH(HSing)M

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2006, 04:25 AM

The late and very wonderful Fred Rogers (you know, Mr. Rogers from Mr. Rogers Neighborhood) has a book called "The New Baby" that is wonderful. It speaks in a mature voice, with lovely pictures (including breastfeeding the baby ) and of all the ones we've had (and we've been through quite a few ) this one my children go back to and want to look at and hear again and again.

(He had an extraordinary gift to make children feel safe and understood and to help them understand, too.)

There are others, kind of cutesy and all that, too, but Mr. Rogers' is our favorite by far.

Old 02-12-2006, 04:30 AM

This book is very tender and was very meaningful for my ds. He was a bit older when his sister was born, 3.5yo, as is the older sister in the book, but I still think the book would be a good one for an older toddler.

******eta: sorry, I'm not in your ddc, just surfing MDC when I should be asleep. Sorry! I clicked on the thread before I even realized which forum it was in *******
Old 02-12-2006, 05:39 AM

I like "Baby on the Way" by Dr. Sears, and also "Welcome With Love" can't remember who it's by, but it's about a homebirth, it would introduce labor and birth and homebirth, especially if the older child will be present.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the suggestions! I'm compiling a list and going to try to borrow them all from the library and then choose the ones we'll buy! THANK YOU!!!

IntactaLactavist, HomeBirthin' Baby Wearin' Co-sleepin' Homeschoolin', City girl gone Country Livin' SAH(HSing)M

Old 02-16-2006, 04:00 PM

We really love "Hello Baby" by Lizzy Rockwell. It shows fetal development and when the baby is born, mom is nursing.

Here is our list

What we have read already:
*Hello Baby by Lizzie Rockwell
*Will There Be a Lap for Me
*A Baby's Coming to Your House by Shelley Moore Thomas -- multicultural, real photographs
*When I'm a Big Brother by Bruce Lansky -- you add your child's photo and then can write their thoughts on becoming/being a big brother
*On Mother's Lap
*We Have a Baby by Cathryn Falwell
*A Teeny Tiny baby by Amy Schwartz
*We Like to Nurse by Chia Martin -- not siblings, but shows nursing among different mammals

Still need to read:
Everywhere Babies by Susan Meyers
Hi New Baby by Robie Harris
New Baby at Your House
Waiting for Baby
I Love You as Much... by Laura Krauss Melmed
Welcome with Love by Jenni Overend

Biggest Bed in the World by Lindsay Camp
Mommy Breastfeeds Our Baby by Teresa P. Carroll
I'm Made of Mama's Milk by Mary Olsen
A Ride on Mother's Back by Emery Bernhard
Old 02-18-2006, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you mama2silas! I look forward to the other recommendations you have for me!

User Tag List