High HcG levels? What does it mean? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-09-2006, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am fairly sure that I know when I ovulated. I was TTC long enough to know that I ovulate between 14-16 cycles days. I have never (to my knowledge) ovulated earlier than day 14. That being said, since I took the OPK tests and pin-pointed the ovulation to 14-15 CD when I got pregnant last month, I'm really sure that I am 7.2 weeks pregnant now. On Tuesday, when I was 6W9D pregnant, I had my first prenatal appointment. They took my blood test and called today with the results. I had 115,000 HcG at the end of 6 weeks. I should add that I also felt so pregnant that I tested 5 days early and got a bright, dark second line - so the HcG is strong with me this pregnancy (a relief after the M/C I had with 380 HcG at 6 weeks last December). I should add that I insisted on knowing my levels after losing the last pregnancy.

Looking at the charts, I seem to be double the normal HcG level for 6 weeks (1000 to 57,000 HcG on average). However, the midwife pointed out that between 7-8 weeks the levels can range from 7000 to 229,000 HcG. She was implying that since I was one day away from being 7 weeks - I might fall easily into this category with 115,000 and could be further along than I think. I don't see how that is possible, though. To be 7-8 weeks pregnant a few days ago would have meant that I ovulated before CD 14. TWINS run in my family on both sides of the maternal side and one side of the paternal side - so this possiblity is never far from my mind. The midwife said it is a "possibility" but said it could just be one child and further along than I think. Hmmmm....

Anyone here with twins that might be able to tell me their levels to compare? Do you know your levels between 6-8 weeks or so? What about moms who have seen an ultrasound, have one baby but high levels of HcG? Does this mean anything or am I reading more into it than I should? Thanks!

Mandi

Mandi - Doula/Childbirth Educator, Loving my DH, DS, DD, DD, missing my three (last m/c 4/2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 03-09-2006, 06:49 PM

It can mean twins but for me my numbers double every day instead of the every 48-72hrs.It is normal for me for some reason even though i have single babes!An u/s would tell you for sure though.Twins would be awesome though.
#3 of 11 Old 03-11-2006, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Avani. I guess I won't know unless we do a second blood test. We'll find out eventually

Mandi - Doula/Childbirth Educator, Loving my DH, DS, DD, DD, missing my three (last m/c 4/2010)
#4 of 11 Old 03-11-2006, 02:12 PM

At exactly 6 weeks I was 48,900ish. At the high end of the averages. Oh and I was doubling still in about 59 hours, which says something too when the numbers are that big and doubling quickly still. Good luck to you!
#5 of 11 Old 03-11-2006, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Jenn, did you get an U/S to confirm anything? My midwife was already suggesting an U/S since I just went through a M/C in Dec. Now she wants one to see if it is one or two babies. I'm trying to decide...

#6 of 11 Old 03-11-2006, 04:06 PM

Yes I had an u/s. I had a previous m/c a few months prior, began spotting in this pregnancy so they did betas. At 5 weeks 5 days I was 29,000ish and two days later 48,900. My Mws didn't suspect twins from those numbers, just said it didn't look like I was m/cing although I was suspicous of twins. Then I had more spotting so at my first appt they decided to do an u/s. It took about a whole second to discover there were twins. Also I had a gut feeling, even before conception really... However once the twins were discovered my care greatly changed, just something to keep in mind about detecting twins. I am guessing they would have suspected something even if we hadn't had an u/s though because I was measuring about 6 weeks ahead at my 12 week appt.

Good luck what a fun ride!
#7 of 11 Old 03-13-2006, 10:55 PM

My HCG levels were 56,000 at 4 weeks and rising. I also got a very early positive HPT. My pregnancy was verified at 6 weeks with ultrasound and my dates work out so that my levels were that high two weeks prior. From what I read HCG levels vary a lot from woman to woman. Here is one of the links I bookmarked when I got my levels tested.

http://www.conceivingconcepts.com/le...icles/hcg.html

Jennifer

Olivia 8/2/04
EDD 10/3/06
#8 of 11 Old 03-14-2006, 04:57 AM

Mine were 125 at 4 weeks (exactly) & 1099 3 or 4 days later.
I got a at just before 4 weeks. (which for me is early...I usually don't test positive for 5-7 days aftre my period is due.)
I had been thinking twins before (as had everyone else) but I'm beginning to doubt that now.

Mama of 2 boys, 5 girls.grouphug.gif

#9 of 11 Old 03-14-2006, 10:16 AM

I had my blook drawn yesterday and this is one of the things they will be looking at. But in my case, it is for reference only. If they aren't going high enough or if they start to drop, I think there are hormones you can take to keep from losing the pregnancy. I know that in addition to the order for the tests they did yesterday, there is a standing order for my HcG levels to be checked every two weeks. I didn't use it in my last pregnancy and I doubt I will this time, but I know my OB is big on using hormone levels to help prevent miscarriage. Don't know all the details because it hasn't been an issue for me...

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)
#10 of 11 Old 03-14-2006, 04:36 PM

Mine are high this time too.

Basically, I was told that it does mean a higher chance of twins. I'll find out around 20 weeks since I am not doing doppler or U/S.

It also makes morning sickness worse.

Mine were very high with my dd, and there is only one of her.

Every pregnancy where my levels have been low or normal I've lost before 8 weeks.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#11 of 11 Old 03-14-2006, 04:58 PM

High HCG levels do make a twin pregnancy more likely, but my levels were very high with DD last pg, and she was a singleton.

Mother of three and strong advocate of being KIND to each other. (No one is going to learn how to be a better mother by your telling her she makes you want to throw up.)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page