Doppler heartbeat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 03-15-2006, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well we had our 2nd MW apt ( 9wks 2 days) she was unable to pick up the heartbeat however thought she heard it reallllllly quick. We go back at about 13wks so should then. Everything else is great bloodtest results and urine sample : O )

Anyone get lucky hearing the heartbeat?

Michele
#2 of 27 Old 03-15-2006, 12:09 PM

We saw it on ultrasound which was kind of cool. I don't want the midwife to use the Doppler on me -- sets a bad precedent. I can wait till they can get it on a fetoscope (which won't be till after I can feel the baby moving anyway!)
#3 of 27 Old 03-15-2006, 04:13 PM

She should definitely be able to get it at 13w, 9w is still pretty early if she's using a 2mhrz probe.

I'm not planning on an ultrasound or listening with the Doppler....I'm patiently waiting (sort of patiently, LOL) to be able to find it myself with the fetoscope.
#4 of 27 Old 03-15-2006, 05:24 PM

I had a minor meltdown yesterday (long story) & went into my midwives office for one of them to listen for the heartbeat.
She said it's really hit & miss getting it at 11 weeks.
But she was able to get it right away!
I was SO relieved! It was nice to hear the heartbeat!

Mama of 2 boys, 5 girls.grouphug.gif

#5 of 27 Old 03-15-2006, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

BC Glad to hear it made you feel better

Michele
#6 of 27 Old 03-15-2006, 09:03 PM

yeah, 9 weeks is really early to hear the HB unless you're BONE thin and the baby is in a really good spot. Don't worry... it'll all work out.

IntactaLactavist, HomeBirthin' Baby Wearin' Co-sleepin' Homeschoolin', City girl gone Country Livin' SAH(HSing)M

#7 of 27 Old 03-16-2006, 01:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When I was pg with dd I was very thin, and they still couldn't get it until 15 wks.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#8 of 27 Old 03-16-2006, 05:49 AM

On average it's around 16 weeks when it can be picked up by doppler. Anything before that, just dismiss it.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#9 of 27 Old 03-16-2006, 12:54 PM

16 weeks for average? That's never been my average. I can almost always get it by 12-13W unless there's an anterior placenta. But, I guess I should say that's with a high quality Doppler as well as they all vary.
#10 of 27 Old 03-16-2006, 01:12 PM

Why would you dismiss anything before 16 weeks? I think I got one at 12 weeks with DS. What is the controversy over the doppler? Someone on this board said it was more harmful than ultrasound. Even if it is only done three or four times (until the fetoscope thing can work?)

I had an U/S yesterday. I had posted my deliberation on this board (DH didn't think he wanted one). My MW wanted to do one since I just had a miscarriage. It was a little nerve-wracking (since the last one was so depressing), but I saw a baby in there with a little heartbeat. I could see limbs and the face - it was more detailed than I thought at 8 weeks.

Mandi - Doula/Childbirth Educator, Loving my DH, DS, DD, DD, missing my three (last m/c 4/2010)
#11 of 27 Old 03-16-2006, 01:58 PM

I heard my dd's at 12 weeks.

THis time I am holding out for a fetoscope too. We're going to try at 17 weeks, but I'm not getting any hopes up.

I don't think there is a controversy over doppler. Some are comfortable with it some are not.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#12 of 27 Old 03-16-2006, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsgirl
What is the controversy over the doppler? Someone on this board said it was more harmful than ultrasound. Even if it is only done three or four times (until the fetoscope thing can work?)
With Dopplers (ultrasound) it's considered nonionizing radiation where they have information that while it is turned on cell replication stops. Doppler actually has a stronger and continuous beam vs visual ultrasound so some will choose to do a visual ultrasound but not use Doppler. It is said that ultrasound also produces a high pitched sound, which for me I completely believe that it's true because I've seen babies jump and move away once the Doppler or visual ultrasound are turned on. I am not doing either as I personally do not feel comfortable with ultrasound and think that there are a lot of unknowns about it and I don't trust what it can and cannot see anyway. Plus, I just kind of feel that if we were meant to see our babies early we'd be born with a little window in our uterus.
#13 of 27 Old 03-16-2006, 06:41 PM

Sorry, ws rushed when I typed that. By dismiss I meant to say "if you CAN'T hear anything before that, dismiss it"

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#14 of 27 Old 03-17-2006, 01:57 AM

I also had my 1st appt this past Monday and I was 9wks as well. She couldn't find my baby's heartbeat either. Makes me feel so much better reading that it is very normal. I have a referral to get an u/s for dating purposes since I am pretty much clueless how far along I am. I kind of want to just make sure everything is ok in there though.
#15 of 27 Old 03-17-2006, 02:07 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Just wanted to clarify... around 12 weeks is the average with Dopplers (although I have found some at around 9-10 weeks... it is rare and depends on the woman). For the fetoscope, about 16 weeks is average. What I learned in midwifery school, and my experience with pregnant women.

Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to three blissfully birthed, amazing children: dd (10)dd (7) and  ds (5).
#16 of 27 Old 03-17-2006, 02:16 AM

16 weeks with a fetoscope, are you sure?...
'Cause that's not what my midwife told me. She wouldn't even try with the fetoscope until I was almost 20 weeks, and said that it's not that common to find the heartbeat with the doppler at 12-13 weeks. We used it only briefly and once I recall her being completely unable to find it at 13 weeks but she dismissed it as very normal.

#17 of 27 Old 03-17-2006, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleteapot
16 weeks with a fetoscope, are you sure?...
'Cause that's not what my midwife told me. She wouldn't even try with the fetoscope until I was almost 20 weeks, and said that it's not that common to find the heartbeat with the doppler at 12-13 weeks. We used it only briefly and once I recall her being completely unable to find it at 13 weeks but she dismissed it as very normal.
I've never been able to get heart tones with a fetoscope at 16 weeks. I also won't even think about trying until after 20 weeks. I've sometimes not even been able to get it until 27 weeks depending on where the placenta is and how much fluff a woman has (I'm sure it will be later for me).
#18 of 27 Old 03-17-2006, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeniegreen
I've never been able to get heart tones with a fetoscope at 16 weeks. I also won't even think about trying until after 20 weeks. I've sometimes not even been able to get it until 27 weeks depending on where the placenta is and how much fluff a woman has (I'm sure it will be later for me).
That's exactly what my old midwife told me, too. And I see that all over websites selling fetoscopes.

#19 of 27 Old 03-17-2006, 10:49 AM

Same here. My midwives never even tried till after 20wks.
#20 of 27 Old 03-17-2006, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

About fetoscopes my MW had told us she used to be able to hear with it at 14 wks however as she ages its more like 16/18

Michele
#21 of 27 Old 03-17-2006, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeniegreen
With Dopplers (ultrasound) it's considered nonionizing radiation where they have information that while it is turned on cell replication stops. Doppler actually has a stronger and continuous beam vs visual ultrasound so some will choose to do a visual ultrasound but not use Doppler. It is said that ultrasound also produces a high pitched sound, which for me I completely believe that it's true because I've seen babies jump and move away once the Doppler or visual ultrasound are turned on. I am not doing either as I personally do not feel comfortable with ultrasound and think that there are a lot of unknowns about it and I don't trust what it can and cannot see anyway. Plus, I just kind of feel that if we were meant to see our babies early we'd be born with a little window in our uterus.
Very good points.

::: imagining a little window :::: That would be cool! :

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#22 of 27 Old 03-17-2006, 01:38 PM

I have been having bleeding on and off. I am 9 weeks. I went to my MW yesterday and we were able to clearly hear the heartbeat at 9 weeks exactly with the doppler. She told me most likely we will not hear the HB but because I am on the thin side...we just may. I was very pleased.

Mama to 2 CRAZY boys
#23 of 27 Old 03-17-2006, 07:39 PM

Like I said in my earlier post, I was speaking from my experience and what I learned in class. I can get one around 16 weeks most of the time, but I wouldn't consider it abnormal if I couldn't get one until after 20 weeks. This is the average, so for some women it's a bit earlier, and some later.

Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to three blissfully birthed, amazing children: dd (10)dd (7) and  ds (5).
#24 of 27 Old 03-18-2006, 11:52 AM

You must have super sonic hearing!
#25 of 27 Old 03-18-2006, 01:34 PM

Haha, I guess so!

#26 of 27 Old 03-20-2006, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alison_in_oh
We saw it on ultrasound which was kind of cool. I don't want the midwife to use the Doppler on me -- sets a bad precedent. I can wait till they can get it on a fetoscope (which won't be till after I can feel the baby moving anyway!)
Well, I'm a total sook and after an incredibly feeble protest I let her use the Doppler today. Fortunately even at just 9w5d she found it pretty quickly. The bean's still in there (duh), and it was reassuring to hear that, statistically, pregnancies where they've found the heart beat in the office have only a 2% chance of failure.

I can't imagine how frustrated I would be with my care if I were planning to birth with an ob/gyn in a hospital, using a CNM and looking at a semi-medicalized freestanding birth center is bad enough.
#27 of 27 Old 03-21-2006, 02:26 PM

I have been able to pick up our little one starting around 10 weeks. I do try really hard not to get freaked if I don't hear it. I know that it's still early.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page